Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 22:13   #301
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I wasnt comfortable with the drive position even with steering tilted to the lowest position (which is how I have in my current ride). This was the same opinion from my friend who test drove along with me. Additionally the old reviews from the forum members raved about how the seats were a plush place to be in. I don't share that sentiment based on my experience with the new XUV500.
GTO too had this to say in the auto vs manual thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- The XUV500 MT Facelift this weekend. The game has moved on and by current standards, the ergonomics are too flawed - the steering is too high (even at its lowest position), the clutch pedal's travel range is too long and so is the manual gearshift. Give me the XUV500 AT (brilliantly mated) over the MT anyday.
I wonder if it has something to do with the new leather seats in the W11(O). Some of the reviewers were talking about how the quilting makes its presence noticeable by making non uniform contact with the passenger's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I still stand by hate but the standards are still woefully short.

I was told the XUV auto would change my mind on some aspects

Kind of disheartening to hear this as I was waiting eagerly for this XUV refresh to pick one up in the auto guise.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 24th April 2018 at 22:18.
Old 24th April 2018, 22:16   #302
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

By the way, what is the difference between W11 and W11(O). According to the website it seems it is only the rim size. Anything else I am missing ?
Leather finish on the dash and doorpads.
Old 24th April 2018, 23:06   #303
BHPian

Since we are on the topic of seats, the 'plush' new XUV seems to offer rather softer seats as a result of which, long drives could be, literally, a PITA. As said earlier, the outline of the seat contours can be felt. It could be really uncomfortable when seated in for long durations. If only they were a lot more firmer.
Coming to ergonomics, the manual gear throws are as wide apart between the gears as in the Scorpio, Hexa or Safari. You do need to stretch to reach that first gear slot. I was hoping the steering adjustment would sort out any difficulties in all of these combined..
But honestly speaking, you do need 'getting used to' for every car you drive and find the sweet spot!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 24th April 2018 at 23:24.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 23:39   #304
BHPian

Quote:
I still stand by hate but the standards are still woefully short.
I would do a more fair comparison of the XUV with it's nearest competitor which is Hexa, Storme and probably Innova. I won't include any other 5 seater priced similarly (Compass / Creta / etc.) simply because by reducing the length of the car, extra pair of seats, creature comforts for last row, etc. manufacturers have a lot more to play with the budget to indulge in ironing out the creases. For comparisons with Storme the XUV is ahead by a fair margin. With respect to Hexa and Innova it wins some and loses some. In my opinion wins more than loosing.

Quote:
Bingo!

All the contact points of the XUV sucked -

Steering - no reach - could not get comfortable
Seats - meant for thin midgets
Gearshift - The throw is so vast that the gearshift needs to be luminous at night in order to spot where it has gone
Brakes - improved but long travel
clutch - long travel

I was told the XUV auto would change my mind on some aspects
Steering - Coming back to what I stated above, I would say, it's even worse in a Hexa as the steering is not reach adjustable on any variant and the steering default position in itself is not quite towards the driver. Laid back driving position will really need your arms stretched every time you make a turn or force you to sit upright for few moments. Couple that with significantly heavier steering vs the XUV and soon you will have you fair share of workout on the driver seat.

Innova's is the best vs the two both in terms of weight and reach. It's still on the heavier side but still precise. The one on Hexa is heavy and not precise either. XUV's is precise but lacks the weight needed for the car of it's size.

Seats - I would agree the quilting is not the best feel but the seats are firm enough for long drives and accommodating enough. My dad is almost 95 kgs and yet can find the fit of the seats good enough. The best in that respect is those of Endeavor but then its a segment above. Also though I'm not tall, I won't be categorized as a midget either and I'm also not a thin frame. I recently drove my 1st gen XUV from Bangalore to Mumbai and back with just one 3 hrs major pitstop at Belgaum on the route. With over 12 hours of drive in a day all 4 occupants in the car including me felt fresh as we got in. The new XUV seats are firmer but have an extra layering of foam (to accommodate quilting most probably) so the feel is slightly different vs the older generations. However I can say they will keep you happy for long drives. If you have already taken an extended drive, may be try again once more or if you haven't it's worth a shot.

Gearshift & Clutch - I would agree. I can see the exaggeration when you say you would need a luminous gear knob, but I understand the underlying point. In my opinion every large SUV / MPV / Crossover in this segment with large engines faces this issue. They all have long clutch travel and long throws. The cable based shifter in XUV makes the shifts a bit smoother for higher gears but they are very notchy for lower gears especially 1st & 2nd. It's a perennial problem they can't seem to solve for XUV. The Hexa is no different either. Shifts are notchy and rubbery both. Clutch travel is lesser in Hexa though. Innova has the most progressive clutch but still suffers from long travel and it significantly harder than both XUV & Hexa. That's my primary reason for looking for a replacement vehicle. XUV manual is no fun to drive in maddening Bangalore traffic. Though I drove the manual for a short distance, my primary test drive was for the AT variant only. Hexa also I was considering XTA variant only. I think AT is now mandatory for these burly crossovers / SUVs for city traffic.

Hence if you ask me the XUV is punching fine in its weight category. Anyone looking for a vehicle up to 23L OTR should find only a few comprises in the XUV. But neither the Hexa nor the XUV punch above their weights yet. When I see a Kodiaq I see it doing that. I see an Endeavor doing that but not these desi SUVs. Not yet. But then there are still enough takers for these even with their minor flaws due to their VFM quotient.

Last edited by SDP : 25th April 2018 at 01:00. Reason: Minor typos and grammar
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 11:49   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Leather finish on the dash and doorpads.
No Sanjay, W11 has Leather on doors and dash. You only get 18" alloys, thats it in O pack. Plus if you want you can have AWD by paying more in W11 O pack.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 12:13   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
[url]

This new web series featuring the New Mahindra XUV5OO-Tata Hexa-Toyota Innova by Motoroctane can’t be missed.

PART 1
A new working link of this video by Motoroctane.

Last edited by SDP : 25th April 2018 at 18:16. Reason: Removing video link from quoted text
Fulcrum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 16:59   #307
Senior - BHPian

Incase anyone here is interested in CSD prices for Plush New XUV. This is W9 variants with HP registration. So depending which state you are prices will differ.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 facelift coming, to get power hike. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs 12.32 lakhs-1524655701723.jpg  

nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 17:43   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
Today I took a test drive of the new W11 Automatic at Sireesh Auto near Silk Board Bangalore.
==========
I’m thinking as well to wait out another year to see how that fares and also get long term reviews of this new plush XUV.
What a detailed observation indeed!! Thanks for this.

My 2 cents: I liked the overall styling of the face lift. The grille indeed looks appealing when in motion. The dashes of chrome inserts make it look wow!! Can't say the same about the rear though. It looks a bit bland. Even the outgoing version didn't boast a stunning rear (gosh, the Christmas tree-like tail lamps?? Was somebody underpaid to design those?). The rear profile could have been a bit sharper minus the faux lights. And the interiors!! Boy, it looks premium. M&M has surely listened to the mass and tried its best to enhance the cabin feel. Piano black console adds to the oomph factor. Driveability will certainly be more pleasant with the increased power and torque. The master stroke has been the pricing though. Forget the Hexa, it will surely eat into the pie of Creta as well. Now for the Creta uplift to be launched at a more aggressive price point. If Hyundai doesn't take a hint from M&M, the new Creta will hardly drive substantial additional volume.

I was a bit confused between Creta SX Automatic and previous W6 AT. Now the confusion seems to be clear with W7 AT taking the prize. I wish it had come with at least the reverse camera with guidance and auto folding ORVM. But, that will not act as deterrent for me.

Cheers!!
Pratyush

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th April 2018 at 17:45. Reason: Trimming the large quote. Thanks.
prince0407 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 10:27   #309
Senior - BHPian

When will be the official team bhp reviews on this? Nothing comes close to capturing the finer aspect. Waiting for one
Old 26th April 2018, 11:20   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
When will be the official team bhp reviews on this? Nothing comes close to capturing the finer aspect. Waiting for one
Yes, indeed. Have been scrolling though numerous auto portals and reviews and as usual none seems adequate. Eagerly looking forward to the exhaustive and relevant TBHP official review.
prince0407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 13:04   #311
BHPian

BHPians, need help.

I am in the market for an SUV. My requirements are as listed here under:

1. Daily drive: 25-30 kms. Occasional highway rush, probably once in a month. Long drive once in a quarter. You can assume the annual mileage to be appx 15000 kms.
2. 75% city drive, 25% HW.
3. Looking for an Auto due to the maddening city traffic.
4. We are a small family of 3, my daughter being 2 yr old. Parents visit us twice a year for some 1.5/2 months. During such time we plan some outing.
5. The new steed must command some decent road presence and should be VERY comfortable to drive. My wife will sit behind the wheels occasionally.
6. Interiors should be contemporary and not archaic. One should feel at home while driving.
7. Looking forward for a romance with the car for some 5-6 years. It should also bring a smile while parting ways (in terms of resale value).
8. I will exchange my SWIFT VXI as the same is not a safe car though comfortable to handle and drive.

Options:

The only two options that I am exploring as of now are Creta SX+ and XUV5OO W7/W9. However, open to other suggestions as well. Creta has been my first choice and fits the bill, but it almost costs the same as the new XUV. On that, I get additional 2 seats in the XUV. Hence XUV came in to picture. Having said that, it seems to be a bulky drive for my movement will be predominantly in city.

Real confused!! Looking forward to some valuable suggestions from fellow BHPians. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
Pratyush
Old 27th April 2018, 13:23   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince0407 View Post
The only two options that I am exploring as of now are Creta SX+ and XUV5OO W7/W9. However, open to other suggestions as well. Creta has been my first choice and fits the bill, but it almost costs the same as the new XUV. On that, I get additional 2 seats in the XUV. Hence XUV came in to picture. Having said that, it seems to be a bulky drive for my movement will be predominantly in city.

The new Creta is due in May. Plus looking at your current requirements, I'll suggest to wait for the new Creta. There might be a loaded SX(O) in automatic.

XUV is indeed bulky but depends on the city you'll be driving in. Someone in my family staying in Gurgaon changed from a Chevy Beat to a W6 Automatic and he is so much at ease now. I've driven the XUV Automatic and the engine-gearbox combo is great once you get the hang of it. I've not driven a Creta Automatic so can't comment.

My suggestion is to weigh down all your requirements and make a purchase. How often will you need those 7 seats, how easily maneuverable will be the vehicle in areas you visit often, how good is the service center at your location? These are important aspects. It changed my perspective when I went hunting for a SUV and rejected XUV, most loved contender due to very less need of 7 seats. I rejected Creta due to the pathetic service center at my place. So think and decide.

Last edited by ampere : 27th April 2018 at 16:02. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 13:58   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians, need help.

Real confused!! Looking forward to some valuable suggestions from fellow BHPians. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
Pratyush
Creta suits you better considering daily city drives and can easily fit 4 adults + kid for outings. XUV will be useful if you have over 5 people.

Another point to note is that with XUV, you will have Either 5 + boot or just 7 seats(last row only for kids). But the middle row of XUV can easily seat 3 adults unlike Creta which i found cramped in comparison. Also FE will be better in Creta. Do wait for the new facelift which is due in few weeks.

I am in similar situation like you but with larger family(Ertiga is keeping me happy for now, but badly in need of an automatic)

I am keeping my options open till end of this year and upto 20 lakh budget, XUV/Creta are strong contenders .
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 14:57   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the market for an SUV. My requirements are as listed here under:
I would suggest XUV over Creta. Reason, you can play around with the space you get with XUV. It can be used as a 5 seater with loads of luggage space with last rows completely folded down. It can be used as 6 seater as well and still end up with good space (fold one of the last row seat). And ofcourse you get 7 seater as well.
Also as everyone said Auto XUV is a hoot to drive. You will not feel you are driving a big suv. Its a very comfortable to drive in city traffic.

So unless you are getting a real good deal in Creta, i would suggest XUV anyday. With same money you get, more power, more space, better Auto and lastly (as per your wish list mentioned above) more road presence

Last edited by ampere : 27th April 2018 at 16:03. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 15:37   #315
BHPian

Thanks a lot bonecollector, rajshenoy and notinralli for your valuable inputs and suggestions.

The new Creta still remains a mystery. Hearing news that the price still may go northwards by a Lakh or so for the top-end automatic as the same is expected to be loaded with cruise control and sunroof among other premium features. Which means, it will cost appx 18.5 L or so here in Pune. W9 AT with sunroof is costing 19.72 and W7 AT 17.72. Let me tell you, sunroof is not a priority at all. I can very well live without it. The dealer's sales team will undergo training on the new Creta in the 1st week of next month. Specs will be know post that, I suppose. Will help me make a decision.

Creta ticks all my boxes barring the cost one. I will rarely require all the 7 sets to be in use in the XUV500. My sole purpose of contemplating the idea of buying XUV was the cost comparison with Creta. How I would have loved the Creta at a lakh or so cheaper price point!!

Only drawback with the XUV, that I foresee is the sheer size. Mind you, I will be upgrading from a Swift. When compared on VFM, it would any day beat Creta hands down though. And that's exactly what's adding to the confusion.

Regards,
Pratyush

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks