Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:48   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Note: For those taking delivery of 2018 Model
...Also said MS has withheld production of New Ertiga until 8th Jan to clear Old stock ( No idea how credible that is ).
Maruti shuts down their plant for annual maintenance in the last 2 weeks of Dec, which is a norm. So, new models will be built from Jan 1st week onwards and shipping another 1-2 weeks depending on the dealer's location.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:27   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
The Body panels of new ertiga are definitely thicker than the old one - they don't flex as easily as the Body panels of the old one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
I concur with @pyso on the body panels part, while at the showroom , i tried to press it subtly on the fender and then the front door, it did not yield like i had expected it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Was very happy to read your post regarding the body panels . The old Ertiga was more or less ok but it did dent easily. At that time , it was made much better than the Swift and desire. Now hearing that the new Ertiga felt stronger is definitely a plus point. More over , it will give the Maruti bashers something to ponder upon. Thanks for the information
Guys, concluding about body sheet metal thickness by testing the flex can be very misleading.

Today Auto Manufacturers are extensively using Structural patches to control excessive flexing of thinner sheet metal. The Marutis which we consider as well built, like the Ritz, SX4, S Cross etc all have such patches on the inside of panels.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-20190103_042528.jpg

Hence it might be possible that the metal is still thin, but it won't flex due to such patches.

More details here:

Blog link: http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/ve...tural-patches/

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:02   #723
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Guys, concluding about body sheet metal thickness by testing the flex can be very misleading.

Today Auto Manufacturers are extensively using Structural patches to control excessive flexing of thinner sheet metal. The Marutis which we consider as well built, like the Ritz, SX4, S Cross etc all have such patches on the inside of panels.

Attachment 1833102

Hence it might be possible that the metal is still thin, but it won't flex due to such patches.
This is interesting information. And could very well be the case for the new Ertiga door panels. No way to know unless someone opens up the door plastics.

Nevertheless, I also checked the bonnet lid, and the new ertiga had a significantly heavier bonnet than the old ertiga. It didn't feel merely 10% heavier. It felt like 30% heavier. I think we can conclude confidently that it is due to thicker sheet metal.

I should have compared the rear hatch doors too, as to if it feels heavier than the older model's hatch door. But somehow missed doing that. Hopefully someone else can do that and report the findings here.

Anyways, the takeaway from this discussion is that it is not very useful to check whether the body panels flex upon applying pressure. It may be more useful to check how heavy the body panels feel in operation. For example, do the side doors feel heavier while trying to open and close the doors.

Last edited by PYSO : 3rd January 2019 at 09:27.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:06   #724
BHPian

New ERTIGA waiting period reaches 18-20 weeks on Top end Z variants
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Ertiga, now launched at Rs 7.44 lakhs-20190103_120143.jpg  

JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:07   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Well, i was not aware of this technology, thanks for bringing it out.
I was a bit surprised when the panels did not yield as expected. hence i mentioned that the sheet metal is probably thicker/stiffer. Now i know it is probably more stiffer than thicker.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:44   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

New ERTIGA waiting period reaches 18-20 weeks on Top end Z variants
So sad to see this. I booked mine on the 27th of Dec 2018 and I was told delivery is expected by Jan end 2019. Now seeing this information,i am pretty sure that my delivery will get delayed. Originally I chose Magma grey but i have told them to keep colour options open and to let me know if anyone cancels their booking. Hoping for the best.
Old 3rd January 2019, 21:27   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Maruti shuts down their plant for annual maintenance in the last 2 weeks of Dec, which is a norm. So, new models will be built from Jan 1st week onwards and shipping another 1-2 weeks depending on the dealer's location.
I was told by SA that Maruti shuts during first 2 weeks of Jan. I see that Kalyani in Mysore road Bangalore have already started delivering AT but even now no dealership in Bangalore seem to have AT Test drive vehicle.

As @smartcat suggested, I have booked for TD of Ciaz. I have driven CVT of Honda BRV. Now have to see how this will stack up against it.

I have booked for ZXI-AT. But now thinking if it is cheaper to go for VXI AT and add alloys and touchscreen, or other after market add on?

Also, will not opting for insurance from dealer and getting it outside is better and practical?
Old 4th January 2019, 08:48   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
I was told by SA that Maruti shuts during first 2 weeks of Jan.

I have booked for ZXI-AT. But now thinking if it is cheaper to go for VXI AT and add alloys and touchscreen, or other after market add on?

Also, will not opting for insurance from dealer and getting it outside is better and practical?
From what i understand, the plant remains shut for a week during the last week of December for maintenance. It is natural for OEMs to clear the old year inventory first before pushing the new year inventory though the manufacturing never stops. If Maruti is operational today, it will be producing 2019 stock but will clear its 2018 stock first (forcefully to the dealer).

Regarding the VXI grade, you will miss on ACC, Driver seat height adjustment, rear defogger and wiper kind of things as well which will not be available aftermarket. Take your call.

On Insurance, my opinion is that it is always better to take insurance from the dealer. It makes the claims process so easy. You can get a quote from outside and ask the dealer to match it. It is a common practice and dealers generally agree to this. Even if the dealer doesn't match the outside quote and there is a difference of 2-3k, i would still suggest going with the dealer insurance.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 11:56   #729
BHPian

Quote:
I was told by SA that Maruti shuts during first 2 weeks of Jan.I have booked for ZXI-AT. But now thinking if it is cheaper to go for VXI AT and add alloys and touchscreen, or other after market add on?

As Tarik Arora mentioned, the Insurance is best taken from the dealer at least on purchase of the vehicle. The dealers price is around 43k which includes first year comprehensive b2b and 2 years of third party insurance.
Regarding the variant selection, Zxi AT misses on some features from the top end. Now if you go with Vxi AT , you going to get a bare bones car . It is possible to get things fixed aftermarket but then the beauty of stock fitment is taken away and its never going to be as trouble free as it comes from the factory. Also, things like ACC , Rear wash and wipe cant be retrofitted. I suggest you stick to your booking of the Zxi AT. Maybe try to fix a touchscreen later on.
keshav1426 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 12:57   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Regarding the VXI grade, you will miss on ACC, Driver seat height adjustment, rear defogger and wiper kind of things as well which will not be available aftermarket. Take your call.

All the stuff that Tarik mentioned are critical, which cannot be retrofitted. Remember Sasta roye baar baar, mehenga roye ek baar. I think you will have to fit touchscreen/rear camera even to ZXI, as it is available only in ZXI+, not available in AT yet.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 16:46   #731
BHPian

Ertiga waiting goes to 4 months.

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...hs-027143.html
Old 6th January 2019, 08:40   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much. Since you did a TD , help me with the following information
1. Body panels. Do they feel acceptable compared to previous gen or the new swift / baleno
2. Suspension : Did you find it stiff or cushioning.
3. Boot Space : All rows up, is it acceptable for a couple of trolleys
1. The body panels are better than the Baleno for sure but still flimsy compared to other cars like TUV, Nexon or Ecosport; not sure about the Innova but certainly not that inspiring.
2. The suspension was good, as I had mentioned, I had taken it over some of the worst roads around and the car glided along, to my expected level of satisfaction.
3. Yes, it is acceptable for 2 normal trolleys. There is a removable panel at the bottom to give a little more room, smart move I must say!

Quote:
Have you gone ahead and booked the vehicle ? That flat bottom steering with Leather + Faux wood design is a killer clap
No, not yet booked. The long waiting period & taxi/cab perception (my wife's office cab is an Ertiga!) has me thinking I was initially keen on the TUV300, but backed out due to its diesel only line-up. Being environment conscious, I am looking at other petrol also options, such as the upcoming XUV 300 and Nissan Kicks. Tata Harrier seems out of budget at this moment.

IMHO, the beige interiors will be difficult to maintain in the dusty and highly polluted Gurgaon.
CarStruck is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 09:27   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
All the stuff that Tarik mentioned are critical, which cannot be retrofitted. Remember Sasta roye baar baar, mehenga roye ek baar. I think you will have to fit touchscreen/rear camera even to ZXI, as it is available only in ZXI+, not available in AT yet.
Thank you, Tarik and others for the clarity. I will stick to ZXi AT.

I TD the top end AT of Ciaz. The engine and transmission is super smooth. The SA however told that this combination is not utilized in any other Maruti vehicle. Might be a sales pitch for "Nexa" brand.
Old 6th January 2019, 12:04   #734
BANNED

I would like to ask some queries and grateful if the people in the know answer it for enrichment of this forum.

1. How is this motor/ generator coupled to engine, gear, belt drive or chain.?
2. What type of motor is it, AC synchronous motor?
3. Is a inverter (IGCT or IGBT) type power drivers used.? Or is it a DC control system set up with DC motor/generator.
4. When the engine switches off during stops in traffic, how does the AC function. In Indian summer with 7 persons in the car, if AC is switched off for more than a minute, it will start to heat up in the cabin uncomfortably.
Or is the AC compressor driven by a motor, powered from the battery source.?

Thank you.
Old 6th January 2019, 14:43   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
4. When the engine switches off during stops in traffic, how does the AC function. In Indian summer with 7 persons in the car, if AC is switched off for more than a minute, it will start to heat up in the cabin uncomfortably.
Or is the AC compressor driven by a motor, powered from the battery source.?

Thank you.
I can respond to only this point, assuming the technology is same as that in Ciaz.

When the cooling or power requirement is more, then the engine doesn't switch off. It switches off only when there is sufficient power in the batteries for all functionality.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks