Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2018, 21:30   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
If they had to give 140bhp engine, they wouldn't have taken the 2L engine from Fiat, rather continue with the Varicor 2.2L for Harrier. If the engine is in same tune as Compass, it'll have 171bhp I guess.
I think everything boils down to the future requirements. I, for one, believe TATA will be shelving the old engines and prepare themselves with the BS6 capable engines. I doubt they'll drag both the Storme & Hexa beyond 2020 (the Harrier & 7 seater might as well be the replacements) when the new emission norms kick in.

Plus, if Fiat can give a lot more ROI on the engines than the varicor, why not - the engine in Compass is rated for FE @ 17 kmpl IIRC.

More power is always welcome. With such a good spec, the question is where'll TATA place the product (in terms of price). What I understand is that Harrier will slot between the Creta & Compass

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th October 2018 at 21:33.
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 21:50   #827
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the Creta and Compass, TATA needs the figure out the Kia SP that is due for launch at the same time.

The Kia quality and features will be hard to beat. Game on.

Surprising Kia has been left out of the comparisons?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 21:51   #828
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Tata Harrier to be powered by the all-new 2.0L KRYOTEC Diesel engine

Now I know that the news is 1 day old but I looked at the Tata website again.

Quote:
Tata Motors today introduced the all-new 2.0L KRYOTEC Diesel engine for its much awaited SUV – the Tata Harrier. KRYOTEC is inspired from Cryogenic rocket engine for its power and reliability. It has been benchmarked against global standards of performance and refinement.
All new suggests a new engine not the Multijet 2. Besides in the same way as Omega Arc was introduced pedigree has not been claimed either.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 23:08   #829

Gaadiwaadi are also saying this a Fiat engine with a fancy new name:

Quote:
It will be the first time that the manufacturer would use the new 2.0-litre Kryotec engine. Actually, ‘Kryotec’ is just fancy name given to the Fiat-sourced 2.0-litre Multijet II engine for marketing purposes. As is obvious Tata would not want to tell people about the engine’s roots, especially because the same engine also powers the Jeep Compass. Hence, for marketing purposes, it has been given a new name
Link: https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-harrier-...diesel-engine/
Kumar101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 00:01   #830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think everything boils down to the future requirements.
And diesel engines bigger than 2.0 litres could come under NGT ban anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
All new suggests a new engine not the Multijet 2. Besides in the same way as Omega Arc was introduced pedigree has not been claimed either.
JLR is a TATA Motors company whereas FIAT/ Jeep will be a rival. Just like DDiS, Quadrajet etc never mentioned the Multijet pedigree, Kryotec will not either!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 00:23   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
As part of the plan, a digital configurator comprising a three-dimensional graphics-based front-end application (app) will allow customers to choose the power train, brakes, suspension types, seating configuration, add-on kits and align the output generated by the tool to company's back-end manufacturing and supply chain, to churn out the specific order."
Really hope it's what we think it is. Would be a real game changer in the buying experience.

Pray it is not a gimmicky act like the 'Build your Car' thing in company websites.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 00:29   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
(app) will allow customers to choose the power train, brakes, suspension types, seating configuration, add-on kits
I don't think they can allow customers to choose brakes or suspension types. Colour of the 'brake caliper' may be
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 02:02   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
...rather continue with the Varicor 2.2L for Harrier. If the engine is in same tune as Compass, it'll have 171bhp I guess.
Along with the points of the BS6 emission norms, I think the Tata Harrier will have a monocoque chassis from the given images. If that's the case, the Varicor might be a difficult fit in the engine bay as monocoques generally have the engine transversely mounted.

I'm excited to see this car.
Old 8th October 2018, 06:58   #834
BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-harriers...i-drive-modes/

It clearly states that the engine is Fiat 2.0 but will get some features only on TATA cars.
Old 8th October 2018, 07:02   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
Pretty soon BSVI will no longer be an option but a mandatory requirement. Amongst other things, for one Tata will get early mover advantage wherein they can market the vehicle as future ready and 'cleaner' than the competition.
These days the buyer is much aware and things that are seen to be in line with changing (and future) norms will definitely auger well with the aware buyer.
BS VI will soon become mandatory and all manufacturers will comply, right? Tata will enjoy a first mover advantage only if other manufacturers lag behind. I am sure everyone will come up with modified engines from day one. Except a handful of us here, I have not seen a lot of people worried about environment when they decide to buy a car. Seriously, I have not heard even a single person verifying the emission compliance of a vehicle before they buy it. They want their cars to be "future ready", but in terms of electronics and gimmicks. Anyway, good to know that buyers are actually changing.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 07:51   #836
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Seriously, I have not heard even a single person verifying the emission compliance of a vehicle before they buy it. They want their cars to be "future ready", but in terms of electronics and gimmicks. Anyway, good to know that buyers are actually changing.

OT:Seriously, no one asks because any new vehicle should comply with the existing norms. It is assumed that all vehicles manufactured today are BS4 compliant. The vehicle will not be registered, if otherwise. The RC clearly states the compliance.

Probably the govt should make it mandatory to state the CO2 emissions along with the mileage figures in all advertisements. That is the only way consumers can start making a comparison.

Forget consumers, manufacturers cheated big time.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 8th October 2018 at 07:53.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 11:39   #837
BHPian

I have been very curious on how the production headlights of the Harrier would look. So I tried drawing the same based on the spy shots and for the HID part I took some inspiration from the Tigor. I have attached the same.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-h5_headlight_chromed.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 15th October 2018 at 15:33. Reason: Fixed incorrect image link
nainan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:14   #838
BHPian

Kryotec Video from TML.

A few clips from earlier videos have been included.

uday.ere is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:20   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Really hope it's what we think it is. Would be a real game changer in the buying experience.

Pray it is not a gimmicky act like the 'Build your Car' thing in company websites.
Will need an intelligent and flexible inventory management and supply chain though - if they really want to make DIY/made-to-order a reality without being bogged down with excess inventory and at the same time maintain acceptable delivery timelines.

I am circumspect whether that is possible, at scale - especially in the Indian context. But yes definitely will be a game changer if they can take the DIY/customization approach to its true potential (and not just limit it to color option/alloys/accessories/graphics selection).
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:37   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
OT:Seriously, no one asks because any new vehicle should comply with the existing norms. It is assumed that all vehicles manufactured today are BS4 compliant. The vehicle will not be registered, if otherwise. The RC clearly states the compliance

Forget consumers, manufacturers cheated big time.
Correct. That is exactly what I was wondering. Any new car sold is supposed to be BS VI compliant once it comes into effect. So 99.9% of people who buy cars today don't care if their car is BS VI compliant. If TATA comes up with BS VI ready engines and if (we don't know yet) it increases the cost of the vehicle, they are at a major disadvantage unless more and more people like our forum members become nature aware. For others, it will just become a "slightly over priced" vehicle. I sure hope they price it well, BS VI or not!

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 8th October 2018 at 19:42.
DieselAddikt is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks