Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2019, 16:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Rushlane reports a sighting of Tata Hornbill (source)
The video title says X451 OR 45X. It is the code of upcoming hatch from Tata. So it is not hornbill for sure. And as per my information, the profile of Hornbill is similar to Suzuki Ignis or Jeep Renegade. So the car in the video is Tata 45X.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-img20190101wa0023.jpg  

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd January 2019 at 06:18. Reason: Trimmed quoted content for readability.
tushky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 19:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The video title says X451 OR 45X. It is the code of upcoming hatch from Tata. So it is not hornbill for sure. And as per my information, the profile of Hornbill is similar to Suzuki Ignis or Jeep Renegade. So the car in the video is Tata 45X.
I too thought the same, and hence wrote the following statement in the end:

Quote:
The shared image looks more like a hatchback than a micro SUV front face.
If the hatchback in the image is smaller than the Baleno-Elite i20 Premium Hatchback rival 45X, it may just be a Tiago facelift undergoing testing on the new platform and with Impact Design 2.0 that will replace the current car in a year or two! Just a thought...
AdityaDeane is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Hornbill micro-SUV concept to debut at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show in March.

The production-spec Hornbill is expected to debut in February 2020 at the Auto Expo in Delhi.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-1.jpg

Quote:
The Hornbill concept will hint at the production model, which will be aimed squarely at the Mahindra KUV100, the production version of the Maruti Future S concept and Hyundai’s all-new micro-SUV that is expected in 2023
The Alpha platform has been designed to accommodate Tata’s 1.2-litre, three-cylinder Revotron petrol

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd January 2019 at 16:33.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:55   #34
BHPian

I really doubt if the HORNBILL will ever see the light of day.
Similar to RACEMO Concept, this may be just another concept that TATA will showcase at Geneva Motor Show 2019.
I guess Geneva will be a test ground for Tata to further gauge media & customer response to this pseudo SUV

Looking at the current models: KUV 1OO & Ignis - both models have failed to garner sales for either OEMs.

Positioning wise, the Hornbill will sit below the Nexon - thereby cannibalizing the Nexon, Tiago & Upcoming X451.
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Positioning wise, the Hornbill will sit below the Nexon - thereby cannibalizing the Nexon, Tiago & Upcoming X451.
Why below Nexon?

I believe Hornbill is the Nexon replacement. Nexon the last of the stop gap projects in the generation next lineup, like Hexa, Zest, Bolt etc - which were all meant to keep things running till the real new generation products arrived.

If you look at the figure in the presentation from TATA - Hornbill competes with X451 for size and has much more road presence. This isn't likely to go below Nexon, and this is the modern premium B+ product range from TATA.

I bet Hornbill would replace Nexon directly or eventually, the same way H7X will replace Hexa.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd January 2019 at 14:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why below Nexon?

I bet Hornbill would replace Nexon directly or eventually, the same way H7X will replace Hexa.
I too feel the same. If i am not mistaken, Nexon is built on the age old Indica platform which is pretty heavy. Tata needs a better platform for next gen Nexon and Horbill might be just that.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 3rd January 2019 at 14:38.
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why below Nexon?

I believe Hornbill is the Nexon replacement. Nexon the last of the stop gap projects in the generation next lineup, like Hexa, Zest, Bolt etc - which were all meant to keep things running till the real new generation products arrived.

Agree with you. And since it will eventually replace the Nexon, I don't think Tata will be in a tearing hurry to make the Hornbill. The Nexon is the current game changer for Tata, after the Tiago. It will take a while for the Harrier to make an impact. Tata will be looking at the H7X and ironing out the variants in the current cars and probably the EV range as well. My guess is that the car is at least 2 years away from being showcased.

Last edited by discoverwild : 3rd January 2019 at 14:50.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:11   #38
BHPian

The Hornbill is a different segment, its a micro-SUV, to come with a 1.2L NA petrol engine, much like the Vitara Brezza-Ignis positioning. You are right, the next-gen Nexon will also shift to the AlfaARC, but that is to come only after 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Agree with you. And since it will eventually replace the Nexon, I don't think Tata will be in a tearing hurry to make the Hornbill. The Nexon is the current game changer for Tata, after the Tiago. It will take a while for the Harrier to make an impact. Tata will be looking at the H7X and ironing out the variants in the current cars and probably the EV range as well. My guess is that the car is at least 2 years away from being showcased.
notjustshrawan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:37   #39
BHPian

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatahornbillrender3.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatahornbillrender1.jpg

Hornbill render from Cartoq.

source
nainan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I too feel the same. If i am not mistaken, Nexon is built on the age old Indica platform which is pretty heavy.
Nexon is built on the Bolt Platform.

Coming to the point of replacing the Nexon, then it would really not make sense for Tata to make a model with such high level of structural rigidity (BNCAP Score 5 star)

Also Tata is doing good numbers with the Nexon, roughly 4,500 units/month.
So for any OEM it would not make sense to simply discontinue a model.
(Launched in 2017 and discontinue by 2020~21 just does not make sense)

Hexa, Yes was a make shift arrangement until TATA got its new products to the market.
FIAT3031 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan View Post
The Hornbill is a different segment, its a micro-SUV, to come with a 1.2L NA petrol engine, much like the Vitara Brezza-Ignis positioning. You are right, the next-gen Nexon will also shift to the AlfaARC, but that is to come only after 2022.
Sorry for being pedantic, but it is the OmegaARC. Whoever came up with it must love their acronyms.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:13   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Sorry for being pedantic, but it is the OmegaARC. Whoever came up with it must love their acronyms.
No it is the AlphaARC (AMP or Alfa platform), OmegaARC is the Q platform for the Harrier and Harrier+.
notjustshrawan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 08:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Nexon is built on the Bolt Platform.

Coming to the point of replacing the Nexon, then it would really not make sense for Tata to make a model with such high level of structural rigidity (BNCAP Score 5 star)

Also Tata is doing good numbers with the Nexon, roughly 4,500 units/month.
So for any OEM it would not make sense to simply discontinue a model.
(Launched in 2017 and discontinue by 2020~21 just does not make sense)

Hexa, Yes was a make shift arrangement until TATA got its new products to the market.
And Bolt is built on the X1 platform that Vista and Manza were built on!

Though, i agree with you logic on discontinuing a successful model for no reason. But somehow i have a feeling that Hornbill may never see the light of the day in its current form and will eventually end up being a sub 4-metre SUV just like Nexon. This is purely a gut feeling with no logic to back it!
Old 4th January 2019, 14:12   #44
BHPian

With the dismal performance of all micro SUVs in the market till now Ignis (backed by mighty Maruti) & KUV (Very ordinary effort from Mahindra), it is indeed a brave move by TATA to bring out this.

Somehow, I've a gut feeling that if done well(Petrol-AT, nice interiors and good space) , this car will sell in decent numbers. Why ? Indians love their SUVs (one of the main reasons for the success of KWID)

It can draw customers from Hyundai Santro and Maruti WagnoR with the looks and image.
Old 4th January 2019, 16:34   #45
BHPian

Just a long shot, but I feel that by the time the Hornbill comes out in flesh for customers to buy, we might get a refreshed Nexon which would move up the price ladder and hence, HornBill would find its on place to fill in.

The low numbers of KUV doesn't mean that there arent any buyers for micro SUV's - I just feel that Mahindra couldnt do a neat job by utilizing this opportunity (with a dismal effort).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks