Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 08:21   #991
BHPian

Re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The car can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds (let’s say 8 seconds loaded). Ghat driving, 2 lane roads etc mostly you will be in the 30-70 speed range, which is taken care of by gearing rather than outright power. It’s the availability of ‘torque’ at almost flat rating over a range of 700-1000 rpm that will give you the ‘pull’ to overtake.
For all the talk about power to overtake and ghar driving - the car of choice in the hills is the humble Alto/erstwhile 800/ old Santro
All cars with nimble handling, strong torque delivery in lower gears (travel to Himachal, Sikkim, Arunachal ) and you will know what I am talking about.

Not defending Tata here - far from
It. They should have put the Turbo Petrol or a NA Diesel for sure - but I think for the common public who spend 99% of their driving time in cities 0-60 matters more than 0-100 times.

Please enlighten me on why TATA provided Altroz with the iturbo if their world class NA engine is more than enough
apache_aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 08:36   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
Please enlighten me on why TATA provided Altroz with the iturbo if their world class NA engine is more than enough
I will answer why Tata Hasn’t (wouldn’t have) provided the Iturbo in the Punch

- Punch is an entry level ‘SUV’
- Will probably be priced agressively/ provide VFM quotient
- most people get drawn by the ‘low’ launch price and then compare the features of the cars against price of others - example a middle of the range Tata might not get the ‘features’ of a top range competitor - most
People like the ‘top’ wala dena with all the bells and whistles.
-now if the ‘current’ top becomes an iTurbo - and people compare pricing with competition you have another challenge to overcome
- launch a reasonably priced top end, capture market share and then introduce a ‘halo’ car. A strategy that has worked well for most manufacturers.
- TBH I haven’t seen many iTurbo Altroz on the roads so If they sell say 600-700 pieces a month, why put the effort at launch of having two engines and thus gearbox combinations which can mean more testing and error proofing.

Last edited by torquecurve : 7th October 2021 at 08:39.
torquecurve is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:10   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
It's called catering to customers as per their need and paying capacity.

Tata hasn't ruled out turbo engine in Punch or for that matter in any other vehicle. It's about demand and whether customers are ready to pay for that. And also, product positioning strategy.

This is no way means 1.2NA is inadequate for most of the customers.

We may bash some OEMs / products here on Team-BHP from enthusiast POV; majority customers don't decide in this way. Once you start interacting with customers on ground (I have done that), you'll find their decision making is quite different, particularly in lower cost segments.

If all customers were thinking like we do on Team-BHP, I am sure market leader board would have looked entirely different.

Disclaimer : I have never owned a Tata vehicle, nor intend in near future. I am not a Tata fan boy. Sharing all this from neutral point of view and with bit of experience in Auto industry.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 7th October 2021 at 09:15. Reason: added disclaimer
AutoNoob is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:58   #994
Senior - BHPian

This seems the ideal city car for our Bangalore roads (utterly broken, over-full, tons of speed bumpers, slower draining of flood water, etc). A bigger/better SUV for highways would complement the garage very well.

Punch can take on few rivals handsomely - they are no where close to being called SUVs!
Hope its production ready when they start the deliveries! Only wish they have proper noise insulation & comes with an EV option soon.

Last edited by Equus : 7th October 2021 at 10:24.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:41   #995
BHPian

No doubt the car is a looker and it is a perfect pick as the car for my spouse but we don't want to hurt ourselves by going through another tata car ownership. Will wait for Citroen C3 I guess.
JJ1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:29   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

All New Tata Punch media drive: Reviews to be out on 9th.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-0.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-00.jpg

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  77.0 KB

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-5.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-3.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-4.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th October 2021 at 12:40.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 13:54   #997
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
but does the job and gives me 16+ kpl easily.
I also have a Tigor and city mileage is bad. I remember on my first or second service, this was the most common complaint I heard from other owners there. Are you talking about 16 on highway. My cars 40k kms driven btw and mileage has been a consistent grouse compared to my Swift.

Last edited by AZT : 7th October 2021 at 13:59.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 16:06   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I also have a Tigor and city mileage is bad. I remember on my first or second service, this was the most common complaint I heard from other owners there. Are you talking about 16 on highway. My cars 40k kms driven btw and mileage has been a consistent grouse compared to my Swift.
Its city. But, I drive with a light foot and the AMT shifts gears early. May be that's the reason.
Old 7th October 2021, 20:37   #999
Senior - BHPian

Shailesh Chandra, President of Tata Motors' Passenger Vehicles business unit says we'll have to 'wait for a few days' for an official Global NCAP crash test rating for the Punch.

Will be interesting to see how Tata copes with the July 2022-2025 Global NCAP assessment protocol should Global NCAP decide to reassess their cars next year, since they don't offer ESC and side head protection airbags even as an option on the Punch which would limit its rating to a maximum of two stars for adult occupant protection under the updated protocol.

Last edited by ron178 : 7th October 2021 at 20:38.
ron178 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 22:26   #1000
BHPian

Tata Punch top and mid variants comparison walkaround video.
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 03:15   #1001
BHPian

All of this testing is being done right next to the highway in Vashi, Navi Mumbai - behind my house
macbeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 09:41   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

More Media drive pics:

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-1.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-4.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-3.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:57   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
On top of this, my Tigor's optimistic MID was atleast 3-4kmpl more than actual mileage.

I also disagree on many people's comment about possible driveability, above 60 car was just was too slow, quoted 16 second to 100 is probably for the manual variant, AMT probably takes 2 more seconds.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:30   #1004
BHPian

I checked out the Punch today at a Tata dealership. I am scouring for a car for my Brother In Law whose current ride is a Mahindra KUV 100. Punch is a strong contender so my comparison is with KUV 100 since he wants to replace it with a new car.
  1. The Car is built Tight. Front of the Car looks Muscular. You will easily take it to be a Nexon on a casual glance. Its that Muscular. For an untrained eye Nexon and Punch side by side will look same cars.
  2. Contrasting colours brings out the Muscular aspects of the car. Dark colours makes the car look like (if I may say this) beefed up S-Presso.
  3. Car is spacious by the segment standards. Definitely not Nexon/KUV 100 Space. High headroom will be highly useful. Flat Floor and adequate space between rear Blower Vents and Seat base. So middle passenger will feel welcome. Some angles shows the Car as a mix of multiple cars.
  4. Rear Silhouette reminded me of S-Presso albeit a beefed up one.
  5. The Boot Door is small and the size with respect to the Body is Kwid...sh. The boot door reminded me of Kwid.
  6. Ground Clearance is very good. People will do well to scrape its underbody. SA told me the Top End Manual is expected around 8.5 Lakhs. Not sure if this is possible. No idea about price variation of Manual Vs AMT.
  7. Front Doors felt not so heavy (Ref. Nexon). Rear Doors felt Light. Boot Door did not have any weight, felt light (I am comparing against Nexon and KUV 100). But the sound upon closing the doors is good. Does not sound Flimsy. Boot Door sounds Flimsy.
  8. There is a flower shaped cutout for the Horn (Single Tone) on the front Lip. Looks Hideous.
  9. I doubt this car will score 4*. More of a 2 to 3 Stars. SA was very confident of Punch scoring 4*. I believe GNCAP score will be out (no way to confirm) soon.
The showroom received 30 cars. Test Drives and Display to start from 9 oct 2021. Tata wants to cash in on the festival season. Don't want customers to wait

SA told me that they are expecting bookings to increase once the Safety Ratings are out. Shows how much people are valuing Safety. Of course Team BHP review will bring out all the details. Looking forward to it to help us take a call. At this moment I am apprehensive of the 1.2L Engine.

Quote:
Muscular in your Face front end. More like "Nexon ka Beta" or "Kiddo Nexon"
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-img20211008wa0011.jpg

Quote:
Muscular and Punchy Front. Notice the cutout for Horn on the Lip towards left of Tata logo. Looks Bad. Tata had multiple areas to put the Horn but they chose this location and made holes on the Lip. Can be covered up with Stickers after moving the horn to a different location.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-img20211008wa0007.jpg

Quote:
Huge lower Bumper. Boot Door is small compared to the rest of the rear Profile.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211008_104515.jpg

Quote:
Zero Bumper protrusion. Add to it not so strong Boot Door, Rear dings will result in visits to Bodyshop.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-img20211008wa0006.jpg

Quote:
Side Profile. Looks Sporty.
The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211008_104653.jpg

Overall the Car looks like a very good Package and should be VFM and I would Say Tata has done a good Job.

Go Tata Go.
dsuman is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:09   #1005
BHPian

The front bumper has lot of gaps for air to reach the radiator. Not sure if we can cover this up. Else small flying stones will directly hit the radiator.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks