Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 17:38   #841
BHPian

Re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

The Image says Stay Tuned to #Packapunch on 4th October

I sincerely hope it is launched on that day but every manufacturer these days do it in phases. There is this drama of Unveil, Reveal, Preview and then Launch.

Considering there has been no official event on Punch till date and no media drives announced, I am skeptical of what TATA will do on 4th.
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 19:23   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

Product demo slides leaked via Youtube:-

RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 20:51   #843
BHPian

I'm confused now, Punch is going toe to toe with Nexon. I'm unable to make sense of what the Nexon is offering more than Punch. Are the internal parts of lower quality? Will the cost of spares offset the less price of the car?

Are Tata and Mahindra trying to capture the market by aggressively pricing Punch & XUV700? If so, then why not reduce Nexon's price in Tata Motors case? Or is it the initial price offering?

I guess waiting for the launch, followed by the reviews will only tell the answer. I will sleep on this and pay the booking amount for Punch if I wish to purchase it. But if I book, I can only wonder what niggles being the first batch of Tata car will bring and deal with the NA petrol.
Old 29th September 2021, 02:59   #844
BHPian

How time has changed once people used to get the leaks through these forums and then would go on to different SM platforms.

The variants doesn't seem to be in the right order my guess is with price which I suppose will be close to what Altroz cost at launch.(5.29 - 7.69)
Pure : XE MT W (1 color) 5l
Accomplished : XM MT WG (2 colors) 5.8l
Adventure : XT MT/AT WGS (3 colors) 6.6l/7.2l
Creative : XZ MT/AT WGSOBB (6 colors for MT/DT 3 For AT/DT) 7.4l/8

Also the leaked price is from 5-9 lakhs ex-showroom according to the phonecall on that video. Which could be completely fake.

From this observation for me the AMT version would be out of budget as it is not available for the XM variant. Maybe I'll have to go with the accomplished variant. I was looking forward for an easy driving option, if I want to buy an AMT I might have to drop the plan for Punch altogether. ��
Pramathyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 07:09   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post
I'm confused now, Punch is going toe to toe with Nexon. I'm unable to make sense of what the Nexon is offering more than Punch. Are the internal parts of lower quality? Will the cost of spares offset the less price of the car?
Nexon is still a bigger car than the Punch in every aspect. Punch will have a GC of around 180mm while the Nexon has a GC of 209mm. I expect the rear seat of the Punch to be less comfortable and spacious than the Nexon.

The big differentiator is likely to be the engine performance. The Punch won't get a diesel engine like the Nexon and the turbo-petrol is still not confirmed as per the leaks. Even if it gets the turbo-petrol, it is likely to get the Altroz's state of tune with the 5 speed MT.

I don't know what Tata is planning with the Nexon but it would be due for an upgrade in a couple years' time and Tata may move the Nexon to a slightly higher segment to try and plug the gap between the present gen Nexon and Harrier. With the Blackbird concept scrapped, this may be the strategy that Tata may adopt to take on the Creta and Seltos.
Marauder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 20:01   #846
BHPian

Currently we are spoilt for choice in the sub-4m car market. The ludicrous 4m rule has ensured that there are enough number of cars just about nudging the mark. Also, there is no dearth of choice in the small car segment(3600 to 3750mm length). In the midst of this, it is interesting to note that there are actually not many cars filling the void between the aforementioned sub segments. Currently I see only a very few cars bridging the void, mainly the Swift(3845mm) and the Grand i10 Nios(3805mm). With Tata Punch measuring about 3840mm(perceived), it's not all that hard to imagine where Tata is aiming to land the PUNCH.

I have said this before, saying it again- if priced well, Punch has all the right ingredients to be Tata's best seller.

Last edited by Emvi : 29th September 2021 at 20:03.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 20:48   #847
BHPian

IMHO Tata Punch has success written all over it.

• Looks: Looks matter a lot. I feel it is better than Nexon for two reasons 1)The front fascia including the headlights resemble the Harrier, which in comparison to Nexon where it looks bit dated 2) The window line which rises upward in Nexon is radical but a flatter one is better for back seat users.

• Dimensions, interiors: It is the widest in the B2 segment at 1800mm in comparison to Ignis(1690), Swift(1735), Grand i10(1680). In fact it is wider than Kiger/Magnite(1750-1760). In one of the youtube videos taken down, the central tunnel appeared to be very minimal and the back seat was good enough for 3 passengers when compared to many rivals. Of course, the incline angle was more upright.

• SUVish stance: The Harrier front looks, width of car, proportional looks, 187mm GC, and the overall muscular shape is in line with the current mass market demand for butch looking cars. I found the ingress-egress in Nexon rear door difficult due to the 210 mm GC and the door sill which isn't wide. The Punch should be better in this area.

• Safety: Being built on ALFA architecture it can score at least 4 star NCAP rating, making it safer than the likes of Swift, i10 and in the league of Tigor, Tiago.

• Pricing: The pricing is expected to be in the Kiger 1.0 NA engine range of 5.5 to 8.5 L, including the AMT options. Consider that the 1.2L Revotron (86PS, 113 Nm), is powerful than the 1.0 of Kiger.

With these I believe Punch should be successful than Kiger-Magnite, Tiago, Ignis and also eat into the share of lower variants in Nexon, Venue-Sonet.

Yes, the engine is gruffy, but Tiago/Tigor sell well with the same engines.

Last edited by anthusiast : 29th September 2021 at 20:59.
anthusiast is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 23:46   #848
BHPian

Media Drives start next week. Hopefully should be ready to launch.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-screenshot_20210929234607_twitter.jpg
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 23:52   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

The Punch spied in White shade!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th September 2021 at 00:10. Reason: removed and edited.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:25   #850
Senior - BHPian

New Teaser Confirms Tata Punch Will Get Harman Infotainment System

Name:  punch.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  56.0 KB

The new Tata Punch mini-SUV is all set to make its debut on October 4, 2021. While Tata Motors is yet to commence bookings for the micro SUV, select dealers across Mumbai, Chennai, and Delhi are accepting pre-orders for a token of up to ₹ 11,000. The home-grown automaker has been teasing the mini-SUV on its social media for quite some time now. The company has dropped a new teaser showcasing the Harman touchscreen infotainment unit on the soon-to-be-launched car.

Read
nairrk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:33   #851
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch to feature 90 degree opening doors like Altroz.

Bookings open on 4th October.

Name:  SmartSelect_20210930213124_Twitter.gif
Views: 695
Size:  4.90 MB

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th September 2021 at 21:37.
Venkatesh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:06   #852
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch officially revealed in white and black dual-tone colour.

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20210930_230524.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th September 2021 at 23:12.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:07   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

The Punch spied in Grey! Seems to be a mid-variant (Adventure) - no foglamps, halogen headlamps, no front bumper cladding, full wheel cover in black, body coloured door handles, steering wheel sans any buttons, small Head Unit, fabric seats, etc.

Credits to Vishnu Nair and Abhinandan Jain.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th September 2021 at 23:13. Reason: updated.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 02:19   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Punch spied in Grey! Seems to be a mid-variant (Adventure) - no foglamps, halogen headlamps, no front bumper cladding, full wheel cover in black, body coloured door handles, steering wheel sans any buttons, small Head Unit, fabric seats, etc.

Credits to Vishnu Nair and Abhinandan Jain.

Chrome from the grill is missing and that looks way better. Will this be standard for all adventure models?
Old 1st October 2021, 09:48   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Punch officially revealed in white and black dual-tone colour.
Punch looks really cool in this shade!
I might be exaggerating a bit here, Punch to me looks like a mini Evoque in the picture, anyone!?
Emvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks