Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 17:19   #976
NKB
BHPian

Re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With Tata's latest since early morning! Embargo ends on Saturday @ 0900 hours. Our review will be up then
Eagerly waiting for this review.

I personally know few people holding on their decision and waiting for the price reveal of PUNCH. If priced aggressively, they are ready to jump. This is even after knowing the engine option on offer. So, I believe all this crying around the sluggish engine on the forum is just limited to few enthusiasts and may be they are right as well but people are looking at overall package, VFM, Safety etc. and also they will be eager to know the drivability of the car and hence this review is very critical. More than price, I am waiting for this review to come out and the wait is on till Saturday 9 am…!!
NKB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:36   #977
BHPian

Much has been said about supposedly "weak" Tata petrol engine but the market doesn't seem to care much about this fact. There's a demand for petrol Altroz for sure. I've driven my uncle's petrol Altroz and I didn't find the engine weak. I was able to potter around city in 2nd gear. We went to Solapur two weeks back and my uncle was able to keep up with my Creta at those highway speeds, I never lost sight of him and sometimes he even managed to overtake me. So I feel as much as it is about the engine, it's also about how one manages to eke out the power out of it as and when required. Has Tata shared loaded weight of the Punch yet ? We can get some idea from this information about engine performance. But none of this discussion matters outside the Team BHP world. Let's wait for GTOs review about the punch.
Akshay6988 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:50   #978
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been said about the engine.

My Tigor has the same engine.

Yes, it can reach 100 kph.

Yes, it is faster than a truck. Can overtake one easily.

It ain't no enthusiast's favourite, but does the job and gives me 16+ kpl easily.

Plus, I have the AMT too. I stopped getting gear shift jerks the day I got used to it. That was a couple of days. Now, my passengers can't even notice when the gear changes.

The engine ain't fast but it ain't that slow either, the way it is being made out to be.

Not all want to push the pedal to the metal. Not all are in race mode all the time. Not all want to reach triple digit speeds the moment the light turns green.

Its good for sedate driving and suitable for a large majority of people. Something the sales figures reflect too.
ashutoshb is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 19:59   #979
BHPian

Many fellow enthusiasts here are defending the weak engine of TATA Punch but while i do understand that not everyone wants a fast car but its not always about speed. A strong engine helps you overtake easily on those narrow 2 lane roads. It makes driving in ghats easy when the car is loaded. It helps in cutting down travel time for long distances. So i dont know why one can not complain of such a weak engine without being labelled as a pedal to the metal driver.
apache_aayush is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 20:28   #980
BHPian

Another noteworthy feature of Punch is its water wading capacity of 370mm which is far better than that of Nexon(< 300mm) and cars couple of segments above. AFAIK, Ecosport is the only car which is having better water wading capacity(550mm) in <14L bracket. This will be boon considering the surprises we expect in monsoons.
K_Drive is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 21:07   #981
BHPian

Spotted a line of 20-30 cars today, in Koramangala. Probably testing or delivering the vehicles to nearby showrooms. Couldn’t snap better pics as my mobile was in its holder: had to tilt the handlebar and remove my glove to take these snaps!

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-f950e347ea5f4a3e9dae1b476d2a1c47.jpeg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-fa9eba1c51b743109cfd8ed83926fb78.jpeg

The drivers of two of the cars I was standing next to were interested in my bike, and I, in their cars!

The idle sound of the car on my left was very pleasant and refined for a Tata, surprisingly. I don’t know about the engine configuration.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 21:16   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
Many fellow enthusiasts here are defending the weak engine of TATA Punch but while i do understand that not everyone wants a fast car but its not always about speed. A strong engine helps you overtake easily on those narrow 2 lane roads. It makes driving in ghats easy when the car is loaded. It helps in cutting down travel time for long distances. So i dont know why one can not complain of such a weak engine without being labelled as a pedal to the metal driver.
The car can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds (let’s say 8 seconds loaded). Ghat driving, 2 lane roads etc mostly you will be in the 30-70 speed range, which is taken care of by gearing rather than outright power. It’s the availability of ‘torque’ at almost flat rating over a range of 700-1000 rpm that will give you the ‘pull’ to overtake.
For all the talk about power to overtake and ghar driving - the car of choice in the hills is the humble Alto/erstwhile 800/ old Santro
All cars with nimble handling, strong torque delivery in lower gears (travel to Himachal, Sikkim, Arunachal ) and you will know what I am talking about.

Not defending Tata here - far from
It. They should have put the Turbo Petrol or a NA Diesel for sure - but I think for the common public who spend 99% of their driving time in cities 0-60 matters more than 0-100 times.
torquecurve is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:18   #983
Senior - BHPian

Few pictures of Tata Punch doing mild off-roading during media experience arena.

Will Tata Punch, punch above its rivals?

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211006_221158.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211006_221200.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211006_221203.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-20211006_221205.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th October 2021 at 22:22.
Venkatesh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:43   #984
BHPian

I have been following the discussion in this group. Everyone loves the styling and the features but worried about engine performance. Everyone wants more powerful engine but at the same time wants Tata to price this aggresively and then since it is Tata has to be safe as well. I mean we are buying car right because we have a phone that sells for 1.5 lakh rupees and 300 cc odd bike for almost 3 lakh. Any other car in this segment who has these many feautures, looks and safety all at the same time and then are price best as per market standards?
Abhi1990 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:03   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
I have been following the discussion in this group. Everyone loves the styling and the features but worried about engine performance. Everyone wants more powerful engine but at the same time wants Tata to price this aggresively and then since it is Tata has to be safe as well. I mean we are buying car right because we have a phone that sells for 1.5 lakh rupees and 300 cc odd bike for almost 3 lakh. Any other car in this segment who has these many feautures, looks and safety all at the same time and then are price best as per market standards?
Just to clarify two things regarding the discussion on this thread:

1. The whole point of this forum is to discuss the pros and cons of cars and related accessories/incidentals. Even the official reviews on the site mention the pros and cons of each car. The styling, features, safety etc., seem to be the pros of this car while the engine power seems to be one of the cons of this car. Yes, no car is perfect but we are free to hope and ask for more from each car.

2. Most of the opinions on this thread have asked for an option of the turbo-petrol or diesel engine. Both of which are available with Tata and their other car based on the same platform has those options. Nobody has asked for a top-end turbo petrol to be priced at 5 lakhs. It may be true that having multiple variants pushes up the cost for the company but Tata can price the base NA petrol Punch reasonably while offering a more powerful engine at the higher end of the spectrum.
Marauder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:06   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
Unsurprisingly there are a lot of comments about the low power of the engine.
Totally agree with you on this!
I drive an Altroz 1.2 NA. Never felt it is that underpowered. Probably software updates post initial launch may have helped improving the performance. On an open road, Altroz flies!

It is fuel efficient too! For such a heavy car, it gives 17-21kmpl if you drive sedately.

The real frustrating part is the engine noise which makes you feel like it is a truck's engine. TATA should do something about this. My 12 year old i10's IRDE engine feels far more smooth and silent than this.

Last edited by pradeep_mvpa : 6th October 2021 at 23:09. Reason: helping TATA :)
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:16   #987
BHPian

Yes, noise is a problem with the Tiago for sure. You have to drown the sound by turning up the music system. Probably a little better in Altroz if sound absorbents have been used properly.
Old 7th October 2021, 00:41   #988

Are they planning an EV version of this car? Now that would be a perfect 2nd vehicle for urban commutes.
Old 7th October 2021, 00:50   #989
Senior - BHPian

"with great power comes great responsibility; with different powered engines come different gear ratios"

Without knowing the gear ratios (and some more stuff), it's futile to comment on the power and torque of a vehicle. Surely, these are important parameters along with Power-to-weight and Torque-to-weight ratios. However, between the engine and wheels, there is transmission.

An OEM selects gear ratios based on various boundary conditions, including drivability/ convenience for target customers. (there may still be unsatisfied customers, but then you can't please all for a given sale price).

Most customers take only few days to adapt to drivability of new vehicle and absolute numbers (engine output at crank) are soon forgotten.

I have driven Innova Crysta 2.4 Diesel with 5 on-board to Shivaliks and Himalayas, performing overtaking on slow moving trucks. Then, on certain occasions, I have done same routes in humble 1.2NA petrol vehicles. It just takes an understanding of what gear to be in and timing of maneuver.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 7th October 2021 at 00:56.
AutoNoob is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 07:41   #990
Senior - BHPian

New TVC

nairrk is online now   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks