Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2019, 19:12   #451
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Go for the petrol Octavia. Less peace of mind, lower upfront cost but you do get that super multi link axle suspension.
I'm going for the diesel since I expect the car to hit around 1500-2000 kms per month. Mostly I'm not going with 1.8 TSI because of the concerns about DQ200 gearbox. I wish the 1.8 TSI was available with manual transmission!
Old 27th April 2019, 21:36   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
I'm going for the diesel since I expect the car to hit around 1500-2000 kms per month. Mostly I'm not going with 1.8 TSI because of the concerns about DQ200 gearbox. I wish the 1.8 TSI was available with manual transmission!

Did you consider 1.4 TSI which has manual transmission? Except monthly long usage, any specific reason not picking this version of petrol?

Also 2.0 TDI, Octavia rules out?
Old 28th April 2019, 13:10   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Did you consider 1.4 TSI which has manual transmission? Except monthly long usage, any specific reason not picking this version of petrol?

Also 2.0 TDI, Octavia rules out?
The 7-speed DSG in the petrol is not very reliable. There are multiple threads and posts regarding the same on Team BHP. My friend has a Jetta that has the same 6-speed DSG and it is good. So didn't really consider the petrol options in Octavia range.
Old 30th April 2019, 20:05   #454
Team-BHP Support

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-img_20190428_131600.jpg

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-img_20190428_094431.jpg

Had a long highway drive in the new Civic, through Kerala's two-lane highways. Honestly, very impressed with the petrol version, barring one major negative - the CVT transmission.

Build quality and suspension behaviour felt pretty good - a good quality Honda after a long time. The engine is good and has sufficient pep once the CVT sorts out the gear ratios, but the gearbox is at a total loss when driving through two-lane roads that require a lot of overtaking maneuvers. Take it easy like you would drive a turbo-lag diesel, and the gearbox and engine combination does smooth work of city roads.

If only Honda had launched a manual version - this would have been an excellent car to keep for the long run, much like the Civics of old that served their owners well for a very long term - my friend who got the new Civic is an example, he owns the old one still!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th April 2019 at 20:08.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 22:49   #455
Senior - BHPian

I've completed 1.5 months with the car and first service was done 10 days back.
Something's I'd like to highlight about the car (1.8 CVT)

- returns 9km/l at best and I don't think anyone can expect better with city driving
- it's extremely Silent and comfortable to drive, the suspension is very good
- it is also one of the most boring cars to drive ! there is no sense of rush when you press on the pedal and because the handling is so sorted, you don't feel the need to engage extra muscles to keep the car steady (the corolla altis has a lighter steering and you can make the car loose it's composure if you really want to ). There is complete mismatch on the handling and the transmission of the car. It really begs for a better gearbox. (The CVT is one that would please many but not an enthusiast)

- the interior is a good youngish place to be but I think at 24 Lakhs I could have done better

- the exterior is just yummy

- the air conditioning is good but nothing like the wow ac in a corolla altis (that car has the best ac I have ever found in any car on this planet)

Overall- id say I'm happy with the car but it has pushed back my desire to drive a performance oriented car by at least 5 years ! (Because I'd have to keep this car for 5 years at least)
Maybe this was the time to take the plunge and get an Octavia VRS for a few lakhs more !
nik_kapur is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:15   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I've completed 1.5 months with the car and first service was done 10 days back.... Maybe this was the time to take the plunge and get an Octavia VRS for a few lakhs more !
On a positive note, you will always turn heads, no matter where you go, with the delicious looks of the Civic!

I totally understand the feelings you have expressed, and as I mentioned earlier in my post, the car does indeed look faster than it actually is.

The facts you have mentioned are the exact same reasons which stopped me from booking the Civic, and go for an Octavia 1.8 instead - considering I've waited nearly a decade for this, it was a major disappointment. But then as they say, sometimes it is better not to meet your idols - lest you find out about the feet of clay.

But at the very least, you have ensured yourself a fuss-free, bulletproof ownership experience for 5 years, which is more than can be said for Skoda owners

Also I have a feeling the Fuel Economy may improve, now that the first service is done. Wish you many happy miles on the gorgeous Civic, I hope a long ownership thread is coming up (or is it up already)?

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 19:14   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Civic sales figures comes to near reality.

Civic has a mighty fall considering its March sales figures (drop of -84% MoM), but still is the segment leader and takes the segment to a positive growth.
All players de-grow with Hyundai's Elantra being worst hit.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd May 2019 at 19:15.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 03:09   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[center]The engine is good and has sufficient pep once the CVT sorts out the gear ratios, but the gearbox is at a total loss when driving through two-lane roads that require a lot of overtaking maneuvers. Take it easy like you would drive a turbo-lag diesel, and the gearbox and engine combination does smooth work of city roads.
I am not sure what you are on about here because this is the exact issue the cvt has when compared to a traditional automatic that it has no gear ratios. They are infinitely variable and unlike traditional transmission it can keep the engine spinning at max power rpm while the gearbox sorts out the ratios infinitely depending on load, throttle position etc etc.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 04:57   #459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not sure what you are on about here because this is the exact issue the CVT has
You've answered yourself.

On a two-lane highway like the one I drove in Kerala, even a small overtaking at 50kmph requires a good amount of planning. And that nature of a CVT gearbox is perhaps the only real negative of the car. For someone who wants it for slick city duty - the smooth nature of the gearbox makes perfect sense.

The petrol CVT is certainly not the best fit if you are keen on driving it on highways, and a manual would have just been an excellent car.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 10:49   #460
BHPian

I have observed that 'S' mode and (if required) pedal shifters really help, under such traffic conditions. 'D' is indeed for relaxed driving.
Old 4th May 2019, 14:05   #461
Senior - BHPian

The Civic sold 369 units in April, outdoing it's rivals yet again. The octavia sold 277 units, Corolla sold 177 units and Elantra just 85.

Does this point to more realistic figures in the near future? I guess so. The D segment surely can't be a number cruncher.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 07:35   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You've answered yourself.

On a two-lane highway like the one I drove in Kerala, even a small overtaking at 50kmph requires a good amount of planning. And that nature of a CVT gearbox is perhaps the only real negative of the car. For someone who wants it for slick city duty - the smooth nature of the gearbox makes perfect sense.

The petrol CVT is certainly not the best fit if you are keen on driving it on highways, and a manual would have just been an excellent car.
When I say issue, its the issue with the expectations because we are used to transmissions with gear ratios. With every shift, the expectation is the rpm will come down which does not happen in case of CVT's but that does not make it a bad transmission. Far from it infact. Theoratically, CVT is the best transmission to get maximum performance out of the engine because the engine keeps spinning at max power rpm and does not drop because the ratio is adjusted infinitely. I bet the manual wont be faster than CVT even though it may feel faster.

With CVT you have to 'know' the transmission, when it will cruise and when it will accelerate hard, and is part of living with the car.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:12   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
With CVT you have to 'know' the transmission, when it will cruise and when it will accelerate hard, and is part of living with the car.
Yeah, there is a small learning curve for somebody who is used to manual or other ATs. I think it took me atleast 1,000 kms of highway and hill driving on BRV CVT to "figure" it all out.

Quote:
Theoratically, CVT is the best transmission to get maximum performance out of the engine because the engine keeps spinning at max power rpm and does not drop because the ratio is adjusted infinitely.
Noticeable on hill driving/ghats - engine RPM does not drop at all resulting in rapid progress. All it takes is right amount of accelerator input.

Quote:
I bet the manual wont be faster than CVT even though it may feel faster.
Honda City CVT is about a second slower to 100 kmph than the manual. Anyway, because of CVT's characteristics, it is not a preferred transmission option for high performance cars.

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th May 2019 at 11:15.
Old 6th May 2019, 11:50   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Honda City CVT is about a second slower to 100 kmph than the manual. Anyway, because of CVT's characteristics, it is not a preferred transmission option for high performance cars.
I dont know where you are getting this from but even the 1.5 turbo CVT is faster than the manual here in Australia.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 15:53   #465
BHPian

I have seen Honda Civic in our apartment parking couple of days ago.

I was walking by and at my first casual glance at the face of the car, I thought "Oh a new Honda City!". After crossing the car, I turned back to find that its actually a Honda Civic.

The USA version of Honda Civic does not have the chrome on its grill where as the Indian version of it is having a huge chrome running all over. Please correct me if I am wrong. I personally and many of us here do not like chrome going overboard on cars but sadly that is the case with almost all the manufacturers these days :(

I loved the older version of Civic in terms of design - it was nice plain, simple looking sedan without any forced sporty looks but not the current one.

Note: When I was in US for the first time, I was surprised to see that cars like Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla etc are the basic sedan cars where as here in India, they are the premium segment cars.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks