Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 10:22   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Find that hard to believe. When I moved to the US in 1998 to live there for several years, the Civic then (4 generations ago) was powered by roughly the same 1.8 litre engine, it used to make 140hp then. The engine is basically over 20 years old! VW already had the first iteration of the 1.8 Turbopetrol on sale thenand it used to power the passat of 3 generations ago. It used to make 150 HP even then. Since then, VW has done at least two major re-engineering cycles of the engine and also by now retired it.

Japanese carmakers steadfastly refused to take innovate to turbochargers in their mainstream cars and only recently are being forced to do so by mileage and emission requirements. They will still pass off their antiquated NA engines where they can get away with it, like they are doing on the current Indian Civic.
Maybe you are mistaken about the power figures in 1998. It was 1.6L and power was much less at 106 or so horsepower. Only the Ex trim had a vtec then (also 1.6L at 127hp). The last Civic generation that was sold in India was the generation when all trims in Civic got the vtecs. I had a 1998 EX. In fact the 1995 Accord Ex I had also was the vtec version. Other trims were still non-vtec.

They did take a long time to bring down vtecs into lower category models and were shy about turbos and direct injection. They are little conservative in introducing new technology with more emphasis on reliability.

Last edited by srishiva : 25th June 2019 at 10:24.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 23:15   #482
Senior - BHPian

New accessories added (door strip and mirror covers finished in a carbon fibre finish). I'm still sitting on the fence with respect to the door strips/beading, I may wanna take them off as they may be a bit too much. Bought these on Ali express and got them delivered without a hitch.

Don't see many Civics in Delhi, it would be safe to say the car is not living up to the initial hype. The market has moved towards SUVs and in hindsight, the fully loaded Seltos appears to be a better buy if you're shelling out upwards of 20 lakhs.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-5powexvry6fjq8xomndwq.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th June 2019 at 23:50. Reason: Inserted image inline. Corrected typo. Thanks
nik_kapur is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 23:28   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Don't see many civics in Delhi, it would be safe to say the cars not living upto the initial hype. The market has moved towards SUVs and in hindsight the fully loaded Seltos appears to be a better buy if you're shelling out 20 lakhs upwards

I drive around a lot but barely see 2-3 civics a week. Yours is also the only white one I've seen.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:13   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I have seen your car twice in Delhi / Gurgaon. I recognized it by the number plate font. The way it looks is

I drive around a lot but barely see 2-3 civics a week. Yours is also the only white one I've seen.
Ive only seen one other white one, a couple of maroons, a grey, a silver and thats about it. I feel worried now about resale if the car sales are already poor! Well on the other hand you can't define poor in this segment cause it only sells a 1000 units combined !

The number plate unfortunately is off for a few days ! The cops are cracking down hard on number plates on new cars that aren't those ugly high security ones. Im going to reinstall them when the cops stop caring.
Old 8th July 2019, 08:27   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Civic retains its leadership trend. Consolidates its position in June sales.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-capture.jpg

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 15:26   #486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda Civic retains its leadership trend. Consolidates its position in June sales.
I knew the D-segment is passe, but 500-odd cars cumulative? Wow! No wonder Toyota wants to pull the plug on the Corolla.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 17:41   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I knew the D-segment is passe, but 500-odd cars cumulative? Wow! No wonder Toyota wants to pull the plug on the Corolla.
And the Elantra, which at one point was the leader is the laggard! How fickle is the consumer preference!
Old 8th July 2019, 23:40   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
And the Elantra, which at one point was the leader is the laggard! How fickle is the consumer preference!
At one point when 2 Gen Back Civic was axed, the market had shifted to diesel and Corolla had a boring 1.4 D and customers who were scared of VW / Skoda A.S.S. had to look at the Elantra as the best alternative for diesel. Now i think slowly market is shifting to petrol Again. If Toyota launches a Corolla Hybrid i think they will get decent chunk of sales.

Mod Note: Our Honda Civic Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2019 at 15:09. Reason: Adding link to review
karanraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks