Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 16:20   #361
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That will not happen. According to Honda, the engine is only available in this variant. Also, the potential sales numbers would not justify ARAI homologation expenses
With this my plans of buying the Civic will be put to bed. I was really hoping they launch a petrol manual (also on the premise that this would be cheaper than the auto variant).

They offer the 2.0 petrol in some markets. Was at least hoping this made its way to India. But considering Honda's quoting homologation costs as a reason, guess this is also out of the question.

Last edited by Jeevith : 14th March 2019 at 16:22.
Old 14th March 2019, 16:21   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
We all agree that the Octavia is far ahead but there are couple of reasons why civic has an edge at the moment

- The current generation Octavia is at the end of its life cycle & will get replaced within the next 2 years maximum. This will impact resale value
while the Civic being a new model (at least in India) will be around for next 3-4 years
- Honda service experience is far more reliable & easy compared to Skoda (We have owned both & hence the view, at least its like that in chennai)
- Honda looks sporty & much better (in my view) than Octavia at the moment
- Octavia petrol Top model is 29 Lakhs Vs Honda 25 Lakhs which does not seem justifiable
Aah. Can see the differences there. I’ve had the opposite. Skoda service has (touchwood) been surprisingly good thus far while the Honda dealer has really not lived up to expectations. Also, while capital cost is high on the Octavia, it doesn’t dent or need running repairs / squeak-fixing etc. (I also have comprehensive service cover and am wondering why I took it). Looks are subjective of course.

As for resale - again, a commercial choice. For me, it was the driving experience and the sheer feeling of solidity that sold me on the Octavia. Can see why others will see it differently.

The new Civic does have a lot going for it. I wish only the best to those that opt for it.
imidnightmare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 21:48   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That will not happen. According to Honda, the engine is only available in this variant. Also, the potential sales numbers would not justify ARAI homologation expenses
While that is correct and the civic 1.8 indeed doesn't sell with a manual anywhere in the world, i find it strange ! The same 1.8 has has been used over 3 generations of the Civic and the previous 2 generations had a manual option ! So its not like they dont have a manual mated to this engine
Old 15th March 2019, 23:23   #364
Senior - BHPian

Ive taken the plunge after thinking long and hard ! The wife's city is 5 years old now and due for an upgrade, the next generation City will arrive end of the year and the price of the current city may fall in the used car market. I got 6 big ones for a 1.5VX CVT after having driven it for 81000 kms (bought it for 12.5 on road in delhi in 2014).

She arrives tomorrow
White ZX CVT
nik_kapur is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 08:57   #365
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Ive taken the plunge after thinking long and hard ! The wife's city is 5 years old now and due for an upgrade, the next generation City will arrive end of the year and the price of the current city may fall in the used car market. I got 6 big ones for a 1.5VX CVT after having driven it for 81000 kms (bought it for 12.5 on road in delhi in 2014).

She arrives tomorrow

White ZX CVT

Congrats buddy. The Civic is a global Honda product, unlike most models sold in India. I took a test drive and found it adequately powered, if not a fast car. However, at this price point,and given the strong competition, I expected 1.5 Turbo.

Which other cars did you consider? Passat CL, although a higher segment car, could have been yours for same or lesser price for e.g!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 16th March 2019 at 08:58.
Old 16th March 2019, 16:19   #366
BHPian

I checked this out in a Honda showroom today. I am not impressed with the overall fit/finish and quality. For me, this is the 3rd best option in the segment after Octavia and Elantra. It my personal opinion. No offence to Civic owners.

Slightly off topic. The sales guy had no knowledge about the car or the competition. I wonder how they will be able to sell these premium (I mean premium in Honda portfolio) cars with that kind of staff.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 17:59   #367
Senior - BHPian

Initial Impressions of New Civic from an Jetta owner can be read below:

Quote:
Took my dad along to have a look at Civic. He drives the Jetta TDI. First impressions are good and the car has lots of presence. Its styling is a big talking point. The Front 3/4th Profile is the best view of the car. Wheels are really proportionate - 16" alloys are good, but the 17" ones are very nice to look at. There were 2 cars on Display, a red VX and a grey ZX. Red looks smashing, grey looks decent.

Coming to Interiors, the Interiors are as expected futuristic looking. Anyone who has owned the 8th Gen Civic won't be excited but someone like me will totally fall in love with new Civic dash. Upper part of dash and door pads are all soft-touch type. In Jetta, only the dash is soft-touch. The door pads are hard plastic. The front seats are very comfortable and have good bolstering all around. Rear seats are soft and comfy and if I have to nitpick, it's the fact that entry/exit isn't as good as Jetta. In Jetta, you sit upright while in Civic, you sit in a relaxed position. Boot is much smaller than Jetta. Surprised that cheaper City has a bigger boot.

The TD car wasn't available, so decided to check prices and leave. As usual, the Honda Sales person was hell bent on explaining every feature it had. I listened to him patiently even though I knew everything about the car's features. Felt the pricing to be a bit high. For the price of manual diesel Civic, one can get an automatic diesel Elantra. Octavia Petrol can be had if one is ready to compromise on reliability in favour of fun-to-drive Factor. For someone looking for a 7 Seater in this price range, there is the excellent Toyota Innova Crysta.

It's a missed opportunity for Honda - not sure how many numbers it'll do in 3-4 months time. Honda has this bad reputation of bringing nice cars, pricing them wrongly leading to poor sales and eventually discontinuing them. I was looking forward to Civic, but the pricing has put me off. But hey, I have an excellent car with me so why bother replacing it? Jetta will stay until its true replacement is available.

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th March 2019 at 22:21. Reason: Formatting
CarguyNish is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 20:14   #368
Senior - BHPian

She arrived yesterday and she is a stunner !
Been great driving her around town because the attention she grabs is real fun, i guess its one of the first few in Delhi to be driven on the roads.

Had pre booked it and the dealer promised me delivery if he got a White ZX in his first batch of deliveries. Lived up to his promise.

Got the insurance done through my bank and it was 30K cheaper ! Opted out of the horrible chrome essential package of Honda ! (although the dealer pushed hard). I also didn't get the anti rust treatment cause its a real ripoff at around 10k ! Dealer was most disappointed but he let it be in the end as he knew i was one to send a nasty mailer to Honda Car India if i was compelled to do something i didnt have to.

The car is fantastic to drive now that I've driven it about a 100km. The Auto hold feature is simply brilliant. Just stop the car in D and then just press on the accelerator when you want to move ! Its simply the way every automatic should be. Its no performance beast this car and its more comfort oriented than sheer engine performance. The ride is solid and planted, the doors very well weighted.
I was under the impression that Apple Car Play was wireless but its not, you have to plug your phone in using a cable.

I was very confused between a silver and white and choose the white in the end because the City VX i sold yesterday was a white and this is a super easy color to maintain. The white on the Civic is however more like the Corolla Pearl White.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-img_4032.jpeg  

Last edited by nik_kapur : 17th March 2019 at 20:23.
nik_kapur is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 20:40   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the new steed mate! Do start an ownership thread soon!

Cheers!
Old 17th March 2019, 20:50   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Been great driving her around town because the attention she grabs is real fun, i guess its one of the first few in Delhi to be driven on the roads.
Congratulations nik_kapur. The vehicle looks smashing in white.

Wishing you miles of awesome ownership and eagerly awaiting your ownership thread and decision process in selecting this vehicle.
Also would love to read about your real world experience over speed breakers which has always been a sour point with the older Civic.

Congratulations once again.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th March 2019 at 11:39. Reason: Spacing
Old 18th March 2019, 11:44   #371
Team-BHP Support

Honda garners 1600 bookings for Civic
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1800034_1.html

- 80% opted for top-end ZX variant
- 85% opted for petrol automatic
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:52   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Honda garners 1600 bookings for Civic
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1800034_1.html

- 80% opted for top-end ZX variant
- 85% opted for petrol automatic
1100 in 20 days and 500 in 10 days says it all.

I was expecting bigger number. VX CVT is the best pick in New Civic. Hence not surprised about 85% being Petrol CVT.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:55   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

I was expecting bigger number. VX CVT is the best pick in New Civic. Hence not surprised about 85% being Petrol CVT.
Do you mean 1100 was before launch and 500 after?
I would be interested to see the numbers after comprehensive TBHP review comes out

Last edited by laluks : 18th March 2019 at 12:01.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 13:25   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

In a segment which itself is 500-600 odd cars a month, Honda achieving 1600 bookings is a positive start IMO. Even if we assume 30-40% cancellations, we are looking at 1,000 units. I think that the Civic will average 450-500 units for the first 3-4 months, before settling at ~350 units per month. I don't expect any model to perform better in this segment, no matter what the pricing is.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 18:15   #375
BHPian

Test drove the Honda Civic - Petrol ZX CVT yesterday and below are my quick thoughts:
  1. Civic is surely a looker - no second thoughts. I have drooled over them earlier whenever I used spot them outside India. However, Honda has surely got the colors at offer - simply wrong. Where is the racing blue or the striking red that international markets get? Why not the black? Are they holding it back for the RS version with the 1.5 Turbo - though I am not too optimistic.
  2. Car is adequately powered but it wasn't something mindblowing - though picks up speed decently. I am a fairly sedate driver and for comfort oriented ones, so for me it does the job perfectly!
  3. There is rubber band effect of the CVT for sure, but I believe one shall get used to it eventually if you own one. I currently drive a Vento TSI for reference and thus can clearly find the difference in the gearbox performance. In the city, I dont think the CVT shall be difficult to live with and on the highways it should be fine by understanding how it behaves (though I am yet to drive it on highways). People opting for it, should give it a drive on an open stretch to understand what it offers.
  4. Road noise from those 17 inch tyres is too high! My Vento runs on Michelin which are 52K run and are still dead silent. For the ones looking at silent tyres need to change these right out of the showroom. No idea for how the grips are on the stock tyres.
  5. For some reason, I found the design on the 16 inch alloys (on the V and VX) better than those of the 17 inchers (on the ZX) - need to see them together to decide. 16 inchers dont really look under tyred too.
  6. The car seems well built overall and at par with Elantra (though I checked the Elantra almost a year back). Havent driven the Octavia yet, but from what I hear, it is the segment benchmark.
  7. The look and feel of the interiors are simply great. The cockpit like center console (I am sold on it), low seating works for me. The digital cluster is great too! Didnt have the chance to check all that if offers but I am sure it shall be plenty. Only if they had all black interiors (RS please!).
  8. Interior qualities are good on the top half of the car, lower half could be better. But I am not complaining a lot.
  9. Lane watch feature seems to be a good useful feature and not a gimmick. I am sure it shall come in handy.
  10. Boot is smaller than the Vento but the spare is an alloy.

Honestly, Civic should have been priced a little more aggressively, may be around a lac less and would have been perfect. After the initial demand, my guess is that it shall settle down to around 200-250 units per month at best. A missing diesel automatic shall surely hit the sales.
vickyP is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks