Old 7th March 2019, 18:57   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs

Official TV Commercial -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 19:40   #287
BHPian

Is it only me or does this defy physics?

From the Torque Power curves, Torque is increasing with the RPM. But Power is dropping !!!!

The only logical explanation can be Torque and Power labels have been interchanged in the Graph!!!
nsubrama2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 19:44   #288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Official TV Commercial -
The commercial does not feel ‘epic’, feels very simple and with out any innovative ideas.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 20:30   #289
BHPian

Prices in Pune are as in the attachment:

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-20190307_193655min-rotated.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th March 2019 at 01:47. Reason: Image orientation fixed.
nsubrama2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:22   #290
Senior - BHPian

I for one am pretty impressed with the prices and specially the VX CVT.
The ZX is a bit steeply priced and im wondering now if its worth the extra Rs. 2 Lakhs !

I had booked the ZX and i have to let the dealer know of my preference tomorrow. I can live without lane watch camera, 17 inch alloys but the LED Headlamps really add character to a car at night ! I wonder how the LED + HALOGEN combo looks at night (on the VX) compared to the full LED setup on the ZX.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:34   #291
BHPian

New Honda Civic On Road Prices
OTR Delhi

Petrol
  • V---- 20.66 Lakh
  • VX-- 22.38 Lakh
  • ZX-- 24.44 Lakh

Diesel
  • VX-- 24.39 Lakh
  • ZX-- 26.50 Lakh

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190307215057_chrome.jpg

CarDekho
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:40   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I was at the dealership during the launch and I got a 7 km test drive immediately after launch. Drove the petrol CVT. The rubber band effect of the CVT kills the performance and I still prefer the torque converter of my 2012 Civic any day. The interior though loaded with features is typical Honda. The hard plastics on the door pads really felt cheap and so did the door locks inside. Either Im nitpicking too much or Im spoilt by the quality and build of my GT TSI.
I kind of get what you're feeling, my experience with automatics has been extensive over the past 2 years or so.. apart from the 6 speed torque converter I'm used to driving, I've driven DSG (Audi Q3 2.0 TDi), 8 speed torque converter (ZF BMW 2.0 520d), City (1.5 CVT), Corolla (1.8 CVT), DSG (1.2 Polo Tsi). If you look at this lot close enough, my right foot has plenty of experience given the combination of engine+fuel+gearbox which are completely unique to each other.

Of them, and this may come as no surprise, CVTs do come last in terms of feeling of movement.. I don't know which analogy comes close but lets say that we love the tactile feel of cranking the car window open manually, churning the handle one circle at a time, knowing how much the window goes up/down with each crank and we can push/pull faster to achieve quick results.. and then there is CVT which is like a power window, you push/pull the button and hold it as the window moves up/down linearly and efficiently.. this may be ever so slightly boring because it is too linear and any visceral feel is completely cut out due to the predictability.

In torque converters there is a sense of that visceral feel, if you want that quick overtake you pump and you double pump the pedal, watch as the car changes gears and achieves required effect and shoots the RPM up. DSGs like torque converters, have a small issue of grunting when changing from 1 to 2, a reluctance so to speak but all the other gears sync perfectly with the revs (almost) and leads to a sensation of quickness.

Its not always about 0-100 timings, or how efficient the performance is, we as human beings sometimes seek emotional responses from the car, an indication that the pistons and chambers are mating. Clearly from a performance stand of point, the Q3 with DSG and 2.0 engine (AWD) should 'feel' fast, but it doesn't.. the BMW 5 felt much quicker (RWD layout) despite almost all things similar. The torque converters shouldn't feel as fast as a DSG either but depending on the engine its mated to, and given a smooth, uninterrupted path even the TC will perform to the max. The only problem with TC is that it doesn't like constant shifting up/down and torque is lost in the process.. this is where DSG's shine.. where the double clutch synchros with every rev-point, matching it to the most ideal gear.. like a self-lubricating bearing. The only caveat to this is you should drive like yourself every time to have the perfect telepathic connection, meeting the car half-way as it is a learning unit.

The CVT is just that, a continuous variable transmission, where everything is smooth, non-jerky, predictable and linear. It needs constant input and zero expectations.. it just chugs on. That feeling of the unit dropping gears, revs falling, that sudden lunge at low speeds.. that will be missing. As I said the game going forth is no longer about massive speeds, reaching A-B in record breaking time or having rubber bands for tires. Feel is everything.

But I digress, the CVT in the City is mostly not enjoyable.. the Corolla was better because it has much better ride quality and gels with the CVT perfectly as its a cruiser. Big engines suit the CVT better though as the inherent power and torque should make it ever so slightly better than a small-engined CVT, so the Civic should definitely be better than the City, but for the few of us who want that viscerality, it is an absolute no go.

Better than expected pricing BTW, just as expected.. below the Europeans, above everything else.
dark.knight is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 21:46   #293
BHPian

I test drove the ZX at the launch event. It was surprisingly peppy. Must have something to do with the ECM mapping or some other factor. Probably its making higher torque lower down in the rev range. Because on paper BOTH new bhp/tonne and NM/Tonne are almost equal lower or lower.
Old figures: 130/1.21= 107.43, bhp/tonne 172/1.21 = 143.15 NM/ tonne (Figures for 1.8 SMT)
New figures: 140 / 1.3 = 107.69 bhp/Tonne, 174/1.3 = 133.84 NM/Tonne
Old 7th March 2019, 22:07   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Official TV Commercial
Civic in Red looks ravishing! I'd like to see that in my portico any day than any other colour. That said the prices look enticing enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I for one am pretty impressed with the prices and specially the VX CVT.
The ZX is a bit steeply priced and im wondering now if its worth the extra Rs. 2 Lakhs !
Don't make the mistake I did, in going for the VX instead of the ZX Honda City. Go the whole hog and get the ZX CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
But I digress, the CVT in the City is mostly not enjoyable..
I've been using the City CVT for the past two years and find it enjoyable, I've driven the GT TSi and also the old school torque converter automatics, but not the cars that you've driven (that's a great list). I find the City CVT most refined and enjoyable, it doesn't need to be revved for extracting performance, it just needs a gentle caressing of the gas pedal. Especially after the service a day ago the throttle responses have become crisp.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 7th March 2019 at 22:09.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 22:46   #295
BHPian

At last Honda did disappoint a bit in the pricing front (especially diesels), but good they went for the corolla than the octavia.

OTR prices at Cochin are as follows
1.8 CVT
V - 2128539
VX - 2306186 (+1.8 L)
ZX - 2625297 (+ 5L over V and 3.2 L over VX)

1.6 Manual Diesel
VX - 2563574 (2.5 L over the VX Petrol !!!!) - Wont break even, even in a million kms.
ZX - 2785780 (2.2 L over VX diesel and 1.6 L over petrol ZX)

Probably Honda does not want to sell the diesel civics.
If 1.5 turbo petrol was launched with an imported engine, it would have crossed the 30L mark.

VX Petrol CVT seems to be the one to go for, would like to replace those halogens with leds. Hope it would be an easy aftermarket option. I don't mind projectors. They look kind of nice in my opinion.

A long test drive is all I need.
I am still skeptical about those low seats and the CVT. Might not impress me.

Last edited by sandygordon : 7th March 2019 at 22:47.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 23:05   #296

Here is a comparison of ex-showroom prices for petrol models of Civic, City, Elantra and Octavia.

Scoop: Honda Civic spotted testing in India! Edit: Launched @ 17.69 lakhs-civic-vs-city-vs-elantra-vs-octavia.jpg

Civic is 47% (~6 lakhs) and 11-13% (~2 lakhs) costlier compared to City and Elantra, whereas it is 7-11% cheaper (~2.5 lakhs) compared to Octavia!

Elantra provides best bang for the buck, purely from pricing point of view. Though I will wait for official review to see how it drives compared to Elantra/ Octavia.
Old 7th March 2019, 23:27   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The CVT is just that, a continuous variable transmission, where everything is smooth, non-jerky, predictable and linear. It needs constant input and zero expectations.. it just chugs on.
You have put this perfectly. And just like you, I have driven automatics extensively right from a 2 speed Maruti 800 AT, 3 speed Zen AT to many high end cars as well over the past 22 years. I guess once you drive automatics a lot you kind of start nit picking which is exactly what I did. I immediately connected the CVT Civic drive experience to my Civic with the torque converter.

So Dad checked out the brochure this evening and he quite liked the feature list. Let's see what happens when the time for a change comes.
Dippy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 23:53   #298
Senior - BHPian

Have they started delivering already? I saw a family getting off a white Civic in temporary plates near my house.
Old 8th March 2019, 02:53   #299
Senior - BHPian

I think not bad pricing compared to the competition. The expectation is that Civic is a better car than the Corolla/Elantra. I think Honda missed a trick by not having a petrol MT that would have made the starting pricing much lower and kept enthusiasts happy. But let's be real- petrol MTs are a nightmare to drive in urban commutes.

Seeing the price comparison by Autocar and the price list, I'm thinking that the Innova Crysta is great VFM unless you need a D segment sedan. It's got great diesel engines, comfortable seating options, loads of space, peace of mind of a Toyota and guaranteed resale value. If I were to recommend a car for the chauffeur driven, I'd recommend the Innova Crysta 99 times out of 100.
landcruiser123 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 07:53   #300
Senior - BHPian

Like many folks have mentioned, Honda has priced the Petrol variants of the Civic quite sensibly. The V CVT is very good value for money, especially when you look at the Elantra and the Corolla which have AT in the higher variants.
But you have the ever green Octavia in this price point, and considering that one could easily get 1 lakh off on the Octavia, it then becomes a close fight. One of my friends bought an Octavia L&K variant for about 24 lakhs on road in Bangalore and it was loaded to the hilt, 6 airbags, DSG and the works. And the car felt super premium and special. I do not know about the new Civic though.

My guess is that people who have owned the Civic and have driven the City will find the Civic as a good upgrade.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks