Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 11:30   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L

Its a wonderful time now to push for more offers and discounts on the pre-facelift model which is suddenly a VFM product now compared to the others in the segment. Since feature & mechanicals are pretty much the same and its only the "looks" that have been revamped, older model stocks are going to be a steal deal for sure.
Old 5th July 2019, 17:56   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
When we have such interesting launches like Kia Seltos, MG Hector, Hyundai Venue and upcoming Creta Facelift, this product seems late by at least 5 years in the market. Duster sold well surpassing the expectations of Renault when it was launched a few years back. Now it seems they have become complacent. First Captur and now this. Renault doesn't seem to be interested in the Indian market anymore.
I think the only way it can sell is to price it cheap and let the Taxi market lap it up.
The USPs are very different for a Duster as compared to a Creta or Seltos. The Duster has been in the market for almost 9 years and it has developed a cult following for it's ride, handling and ruggedness. None of the other OEMs in that period have bothered to target these areas of car attributes. Most are focusing on features such as cameras, chrome, bigger screeens etc which appeal to the mass audience. You ask any FNG, ex car salesman on what compact SUV to get and invariably the Duster is mentioned. The Hector Seltos, Creta might look the same size but they have no off-roading pedigree and it doesn't look like they intend to develop it. Unless an OEM decides to venture into this space occupied by the Duster, Renault has no need to change or invest capital to bring in major changes.
I haven't even gone into the whole AWD scenario where there is absolutely no competition to the Duster for a whole two segments.
It's actually the other OEMs that are complacent about the USPs of the Duster and their refusal to do anything about it that has resulted in a 8 year old model having no competition.
yd_gli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 18:46   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
The USPs are very different for a Duster as compared to a Creta or Seltos. The Duster has been in the market for almost 9 years and it has developed a cult following for it's ride, handling and ruggedness. None of the other OEMs in that period have bothered to target these areas of car attributes. Most are focusing on features such as cameras, chrome, bigger screeens etc which appeal to the mass audience. You ask any FNG, ex car salesman on what compact SUV to get and invariably the Duster is mentioned. The Hector Seltos, Creta might look the same size but they have no off-roading pedigree and it doesn't look like they intend to develop it. Unless an OEM decides to venture into this space occupied by the Duster, Renault has no need to change or invest capital to bring in major changes.
I haven't even gone into the whole AWD scenario where there is absolutely no competition to the Duster for a whole two segments.
It's actually the other OEMs that are complacent about the USPs of the Duster and their refusal to do anything about it that has resulted in a 8 year old model having no competition.
Most of the people don't buy Duster to go off-roading with it. Duster is managing about 800 units per month. The sales numbers for AWD will be much lesser. Though I see lots of new Cretas on the road I hardly see new Dusters these days and I don't think this facelift will change the scene. Duster was launched in 2012. Back then it hardly had any competitors, now there are plenty.
For somebody who necessarily wants an SUV with AWD, a budget of about 12-13L, a single car in the family, I suppose Duster is the only option. But Such people are very few.
amit1agrawal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 20:54   #109
BHPian

Quote:
For somebody who necessarily wants an SUV with AWD, a budget of about 12-13L, a single car in the family, I suppose Duster is the only option. But Such people are very few.
Not necessarily.. IMO for somebody who can discount the archaic interiors/soft features - it is a very good VFM product considering the discounts on offer. It is a full size bigger when compared to sub 4M CSUVs.

Duster was a strong contender while I was zeroing on a cross-over or sedan option. True - AMT has no business in cars costing around 15mils but then what other options do you have in that budget!? As for me - I ended up with a sedan as there were no suitable options available in the price range [<15mil , Diesel , Automatic transmission]
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 21:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the people don't buy Duster to go off-roading with it. Duster is managing about 800 units per month. The sales numbers for AWD will be much lesser. Though I see lots of new Cretas on the road I hardly see new Dusters these days and I don't think this facelift will change the scene. Duster was launched in 2012. Back then it hardly had any competitors, now there are plenty.
I agree that most people in a Duster dont go off-roading but most people in a Thar don't go off-roading either. Its the general perception that matters during purchase decisions. I do see a lot of new Dusters on the road in Pune. In fact there are at least 5 new dusters this year at my workplace. It is selling decently well in Tier 2 and 3 cities by the looks of it. As I said, most competitors focus on different aspects and the Creta is not a patch on the Duster when it comes to suspension, handling, value. Most customers who know this will never touch a Creta. Creta has its own merits but its at least 5 lakhs more than an equivalent Duster and that is a lot no matter which way you spin it.
yd_gli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 22:24   #111
BHPian

Let's compare Duster sales numbers with some of its competitors (in the same price range) in May 2019: Ecosport 3604; Vitara Brezza 8781; XUV300 5113; Nexon 4506. Duster sold only 672 copies in May 19. Last few months it's in the similar sales numbers except Dec 2018 when year-end discounts would have pushed sales to 1200+.
In May 2013, Duster sold 5146 copies and used to be in the top 20 cars sold by volumes list.
Will the facelift boost the sales numbers? IMO it will not have any major impact.

Agree that if somebody can discount the interiors and features than it's a size bigger than it's competitors.
Old 5th July 2019, 23:25   #112
BHPian

Renault should have launched the next generation model here. I even expected the rumours to be true and that they will launch it this year. Sadly, they didn't.

Ride quality has been something which duster impressed me. But, one problem which I personally found in the Duster/ Terrano ever since their launch was the interiors. Not just the rough plastics, but it never felt good enough for a car costing nearly 13-15L. Renault could have at least improved the dashboard like Honda did with the old Amaze.
Old 5th July 2019, 23:56   #113
BHPian

Quote:
The Hector Seltos, Creta might look the same size but they have no off-roading pedigree and it doesn't look like they intend to develop it. Unless an OEM decides to venture into this space occupied by the Duster, Renault has no need to change or invest capital to bring in major changes.
I respectfully disagree. I have seen many Dusters in Bhubaneswar but very few of them are AWDs. IMO, other lower variants of the Duster might be selling well as there would be buyers who see that bigger vehicle for the price of a sub-4m CUV. So it wouldn't be right to think that most of the Dusters sold are AWDs and so Renault thinks it doesn't need to change/update it.

I have mentioned this earlier as well, I love what Hyundai did with the Creta and Bajaj did with the Pulsar. They knew they had blockbusters in their hands and instead of getting complacent, they were proactive in updating these products to keep it relevant and fresh. That ensured these products are still selling like hot cakes! Why couldn't Renault keep updating the Duster regularly when it had first mover's advantage in this segment, is just beyond me!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 13:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that most people in a Duster dont go off-roading but most people in a Thar don't go off-roading either. Its the general perception that matters during purchase decisions. I do see a lot of new Dusters on the road in Pune. In fact there are at least 5 new dusters this year at my workplace. It is selling decently well in Tier 2 and 3 cities by the looks of it. As I said, most competitors focus on different aspects and the Creta is not a patch on the Duster when it comes to suspension, handling, value. Most customers who know this will never touch a Creta. Creta has its own merits but its at least 5 lakhs more than an equivalent Duster and that is a lot no matter which way you spin it.

My dad drives a Duster and I own a Creta. And I can tell you that the the only thing that the Duster is probably better at is driving over bad roads. And thats pretty much about it. My dad bought the 85ps variant with decent kit for about 11 lakhs, 3-4 years ago. I bought my 1.6 diesel Creta with much more equipment at about 15 lakhs last year. When my Dad drove my Creta, he seemed to think that the Creta is leaps and bounds ahead of the Duster in most ways.

Sure, the price difference is much higher now, especially after the face lift of the Creta and the on going discounts on the Duster. However, just as a car to car comparison, the Duster feels a decade behind. The ergonomics, plastic quality just do not feel like they belong to 2019.
motorworks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 17:44   #115
BHPian

Disappointed to the core. I believe this supposed "all new duster" is more a refreshed version/face lift. The body shell remains the same with some changes to the interior.

Here is the "all new" Duster that we get in the middle east.
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-duster-front.jpg  

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-duster-front-three-forth.jpg  

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-duster-rear.jpg  

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-duster-int-1.jpg  

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-duster-int-2.jpg  

Last edited by wheeledsoul : 7th July 2019 at 17:45. Reason: correction
wheeledsoul is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 12:58   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

New Renault Duster launched in India; prices between 7.99-12.49 lakhs.
The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-capture.jpg

Available in nine trims
- Transmission options include CVT for petrol and AMT for diesel
- New colour options include Caspian Blue and Mahogany Brown

Quote:
The new Duster comes with high ground clearance of 205 mm while the AWD version offers a ground clearance of 210 mm
Quote:
Renault has given the updated Duster a new light-brown trim, tweaked the central console that now gets larger AC vents which could have improved the cooling of the cabin. Further, the steering wheel is new and the instrument cluster design has been updated as well
Quote:
Equipped with a host of active and passive safety features like Antilock-Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), driver and passenger airbags, rear parking sensors, seat belt reminder & speed alert. All these safety features are standard across all versions of the new Renault Duster. Features such as Reverse Parking Camera, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Hill-Start Assist
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2019 at 13:09.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 13:11   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This whole thing of the Duster AWD being bought only for off roading is misplaced. As a vehicle, it feels a lot better than the 110 PS diesel. 1. Almost no turbo lag which makes it a lot more driveable. Scores over the Creta in this aspect. 2. Handles quite well. Again better than the Creta here. 3. AWD in auto mode plus ESP and traction control and a well weighted steering means better safety while driving in the ghats. Try that with a Creta :-D 4. Independent rear suspension means brilliant ride across bad roads. Again better than the Creta. BTW, latest Duster AWD is available only in RXS Option trim. Priced at 12.5 lakhs (60k cheaper than outgoing RXZ AWD). Not sure of the deletions though. Top-end Creta costs around 19.4 in Pune. Duster AWD (pre-facelift) with discounts was selling for about 15. The new one should sell for something similar and discounts are likely a couple of months down the line thanks to a super slow market. 4 lakh rupees is a lot of money.

All in all, the Duster AWD is for the ones who love to drive. Creta is great fun in the straight line thanks to its super smooth diesel but show it some bad roads, and corners, it clearly has some shortcomings. The family will like the Creta for its plushness but long distance comfort is better in the Duster. Renault has messy after sales, and that's a big detracting point. Apart from this, the Duster AWD ticks all the right boxes for the enthusiast who's looking for a great all-round 'SUV' that's now very affordable.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 8th July 2019 at 13:13. Reason: extra info added
JayPrashanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 13:26   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not clear what features are deleted in RXS (O) versus RxZ. Renault's website is not even updated about the launch, it still says "launching on 8th July". Very poor marketing and preparation by Renault. I feel they missed an opportunity by not making the AWD more affordable, yet at the same time, missing another opportunity in not making it available in the top end RxZ trim.

RxS (O) Petrol CVT seems to be a good option for someone looking for a Petrol Automatic under Rs. 10 Lakhs. One positive is that the hideous pinkish red inner door trims in the previous AWD model are gone now!

Anyone with access tot he updated brochure, please post here!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th July 2019 at 13:28.
Old 8th July 2019, 13:41   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
Disappointed to the core. .

I totally agree with you. Renault India has lost the plot completely. Instead of taking the fight to the competition with the new Duster. They are flogging the old horse with some lipstick.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 14:03   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Will the facelift boost the sales numbers? IMO it will not have any major impact.

Agree that if somebody can discount the interiors and features than it's a size bigger than it's competitors.
With Seltos in the fray, i have my doubts if people will prefer Duster over Seltos and others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks