Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 11:30   #1096
BANNED

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Keeping that aside, 205 section tyres on a car meant for 185 section tyres will have their own set of worries. The biggest of them has to be the extra load it will exert on the EPS system every time the steering is turned and we don't even know if the wheel wells will accommodate the broader tyres without rubbing somewhere under full load and full lock turns.
Ps. The diameter difference shows 2mm when checked here.
Thanks OSH for details. Further, when comparing with stock-185/55 R16,

205/50 R16 ticks +11% wider (+0.8") with -2 revolution/Mile and no major changes in sidewall, dia and circumference.

195/55 R16 ticks +5.5% wider(+0.4") with -15 rev/mile and increase in sidewall ( +5% , +0.2") with negligible incremental size in dia and circumference.

Is this tends to 195/55 R16 more preferable and balance option ? or better to remain off with stock size ?

Last edited by Dhams : 19th October 2020 at 11:34.
Dhams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:07   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
Is this tends to 195/55 R16 more preferable and balance option ? or better to remain off with stock size ?
I may have missed this, but may I ask what exactly is the reason for the tyre upsize/upgrade? - Handling? Ride quality? Looks?

Because unless you plan to use the car on the track for extremely spirited driving, the stock size is plenty good for the City.

Your ZX will have traction control which was calibrated to work with the stock tyre dimensions. Once you start messing with the dimensions, as another member pointed out with proof from the owner’s manual, you are asking for trouble.

It is going to affect everything from the way the ABS functions, to how the traction control works. Not to mention, it may adversely affect your front end suspension, acceleration & fuel economy.

Now on the other hand if the stock size was 175 sections like the previous gen City, and if the vehicle didn’t have traction control, you could go nuts.

Unless you know what you’re doing & can match/tune the factory specifications, I would suggest not messing with the tyre dimensions.

You may not think much of it, but it will certainly bite you if/when you have to make a warranty claim, or worse, in an accident where the ABS/traction control malfunctions due to incorrect configuration.

Just my 2 cents, the choice is yours, of course.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:15   #1098
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks OSH for details.
You're most welcome. If there is any other info that you need, let me know.

Quote:
I am really sorry but I can't answer this for you. The reason being; I am the 'its right if it came from the factory' kind of a person and hence absolutely hate to do such things on my cars. I keep my cars for very long and I believe that this staying stock approach helps me avoid huge repair costs later in the ownership period.

One thing that I would like to say is, if you are still in two minds about this, take a really long TD on the roads you will frequent and see for yourself if the stock size is ok for you or not. At the end of the day, you will be driving your car and you should not let anyone else influence your mind.

If at all you decide to go for an upgrade, try posting the query in the 'tyres and alloy' section so that you get a better response than here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
unless you plan to use the car on the track for extremely spirited driving, the stock size is plenty good for the City.
+1. I have covered ~60k kms in my 4th gen City facelift which wears the same size in the upper variants and it will turn 4 in March. I recently bought a new set of tyres of the same size.

Quote:
as another member pointed out with proof from the owner’s manual, you are asking for trouble.
As mentioned, that picture was of the 2nd gen City ZX (2007) owner's manual. Maybe some owner of the 5th gen can tell us what their manual reads. It will be under maintenance > tyre replacement.

A friend told me that even his Amaze' manual has this mentioned. Later I found out that even the owner's manual of the Jazz speaks about the same. Here's the direct link to that particular section in the online manual of the Jazz.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 02:50   #1099

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to get front parking sensors installed for city 5th gen, because it is a long car and used by beginer drivers including me.
The honda dealer quoted an astronomical 10k for front parking sensors with a switch. This is the genuine Honda one which is also listed in the brochure.
Any reason why I should go for this over an aftermarket one?
I'm not sure how difficult is to get one fixed from outside without voiding warranty.
Old 21st October 2020, 15:59   #1100
BANNED

@OSH and @ChoosetoCruze :
after reading you both guys, I finally made up my mind to live with stocks only, at least, up to 6 months under observation. I too believe that Honda Engineering consider 185 with respect to known facts and figures linked with it. Thanks for enlighten me with closed off now.

Last edited by Dhams : 21st October 2020 at 16:01.
Dhams is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:43   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
One thing that I would like to say is, if you are still in two minds about this, take a really long TD on the roads you will frequent and see for yourself if the stock size is ok for you or not. At the end of the day, you will be driving your car and you should not let anyone else influence your mind.
Quote:
I finally made up my mind to live with stocks only, at least, up to 6 months under observation.
As OSH mentioned, drive the stock setup on your daily commute/frequented route and experience first hand, how the stock tyres perform. If you’re happy, excellent.

If you find them lacking, change to a different tyre brand within the stock tyre size, first, and then check. If still unhappy, deviate from the stock tyre size but keep the overall diameter/circumference as close as possible to stock. The last option will certainly allow Honda to deny any warranty claims.

Post warranty, you can do as you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2_d2 View Post
I'm not sure how difficult is to get one fixed from outside without voiding warranty.
Do you really need it? If you do, is it for manoeuvring while parking or for driving in traffic?

If you do choose aftermarket sensors, you’ll have to ensure no wires are spliced/cut during the installation. They will have to be wired directly from the battery with their own fuse & switch.

Personally, I don’t think front parking sensors will help you prevent scratching the front bumper in any car. What they are good at is only letting you know if you’re getting close to an object in front of you. Again, it depends on the purpose/requirement.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:12   #1102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Do you really need it? If you do, is it for manoeuvring while parking or for driving in traffic?

If you do choose aftermarket sensors, you’ll have to ensure no wires are spliced/cut during the installation. They will have to be wired directly from the battery with their own fuse & switch.

Personally, I don’t think front parking sensors will help you prevent scratching the front bumper in any car. What they are good at is only letting you know if you’re getting close to an object in front of you. Again, it depends on the purpose/requirement.
Thanks for the inputs.

Right I'm more inclined to not getting it now. My thinking was because I'm not used to the size of the car and being brand new, this would eliminate any mishaps.

But I guess I can just be bit more careful and conservative in tight spots and gain that judgement in tight spaces in a couple of weeks.
R2_d2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:20   #1103
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Any reason why I should go for this over an aftermarket one?
The aftermarket products have universal application and that means they will tap wires from somewhere. Not to mention, you have to be very carefull in choosing an outside brand so that it is reliable. Most of them are generic/rebranded imports but not that easily available as this trend is yet to catch up.

The genuine product's price does seem a bit high, you could try and push them a little for some discount.

Quote:
I finally made up my mind to live with stocks only, at least, up to 6 months under observation.
All the best for your new City. Do let us know your initial observations.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 23:00   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
parking sensors with a switch. This is the genuine Honda one which is also listed in the brochure.
See if they have the 2 point one. If its there go for it as it will be less expensive than the 4 point ones.

Have it on Civic and has been pretty useful. They are used only for around 5% of the time, but when it matters, its pretty useful to confidently take those tight turns without scrapping.

The switch that comes with it will give flexibility to have multiple modes of operation;
1. always ON
2. Engaged when brake is pressed
3. Switched Off etc

This was fitted around 6 years back and still going good, so would recommend.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 01:07   #1105
BHPian

I am looking for a car around 10 lakhs right now. Test drove the Honda City Petrol yesterday. I felt the steering was neutral while the low end punch was good (I drive a swift diesel though). But I also felt the build quality to be quite flimsy i.e. door / bonnet / boot sheet metal quality to be on par with my dzire, door pads though using better material still not as sturdy as my dzire and there was a lot of cabin noise.

I was driving the ZX and the headroom was just adequate (I am 5'9 only).

Is this new gen honda city a good buy for this price ? I am looking for the V trim as I do not want the sunroof (and the less headroom with it).

P.S. I have also considered Ford Ecosports Petrol (though I did not like the vibrations) and Skoda Rapid Ambition.
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:33   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post

Is this new gen honda city a good buy for this price ? I am looking for the V trim as I do not want the sunroof (and the less headroom with it).
For what you get at approx. 11 lakh ex-showroom, the V variant provides you the best of the safety features, engine, space, feature set, after sales support, brand value and resell. It has a 5 star ASEAN rating. IMO, no other car in this segment can match this overall package. There are plenty other options which offer you a raised ground clearance but a compromise on every other front. My father drives a 2016 Jazz iDTEC which has a similar ground clearance as the Honda City and he has never faced an issue (in case if GC is on your mind).
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:48   #1107

Hi Folks! I recently took delivery of a Honda City V CVT in Golden Brown. I am looking forward to penning down a brief review soon. I was wondering if I should go for teflon coating, under body coating, etc. If so, then I would be grateful for some suggestions for good places in South Delhi. Thanks in advance!
akumaraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:59   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaraa View Post
Hi Folks! I recently took delivery of a Honda City V CVT in Golden Brown. I am looking forward to penning down a brief review soon. I was wondering if I should go for teflon coating, under body coating, etc. If so, then I would be grateful for some suggestions for good places in South Delhi. Thanks in advance!
My suggestions for you - stay away from teflon and ceramic coatings. While they might look very appealing, it's ALWAYS better to spend that money on a pressure washer, car shampoo ,microfiber cloths, etc and use them for every wash religiously. It's much better for the paint as compared to using an old wet cloth which we normally use.
Also, we're waiting for some pictures
advaydh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:01   #1109
BHPian

Does option for airbag compatible seat covers from the authorized dealership a good idea?

I am not a fan of all beige interiors and would love to opt for black seat covers with beige accents.
Old 4th November 2020, 13:16   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Records Highest Sales In 21 Months – Beats Ciaz, Verna For Oct 2020 - Link

Honda City sells 4125 Units in October 2020

Quote:
Honda City commanded the list of executive sedans sold in the past month. This was the highest volume sales in the past 21 months and the City currently commands a 44 percent market share in its segment. The last time Honda posted higher monthly sales of City sedan, was back in Jan 2019, when sales were reported at 4,855 units.
New City seems to have clicked well for Honda. Hope this does not put them in to further laziness in bringing other models to India
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks