Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 10:25   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia

I hope the Slavia at least will be a better product than Kushaq. Skoda's #India2.0 program is a concern, with quality.

The most important thing for enthusiasts aspiring or looking forward to this sedan, is to remember one of the journalist's previous comments on the MQB A0 IN platform. The car body cannot get any wider than Kushaq's; I remember very well, reading this.

The width is the maximum that the MQB A0 IN can accommodate/ offer. If that stands true and what the auto journalist shared is a fact, then one could assume the rear seat of Slavia might not be wide enough to accommodate 3 adults reasonably well (like Honda City, perhaps? In the Kushaq, even 2 healthy adults and a kid in centre, isn't nearly comfortable)? Width may be just similar to what one can find in Kushaq.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:04   #152

This is definitely interesting. A new sedan in the market amidst the many SUV launches. I will definitely be considering it for my next upgrade (whenever that is).

As many members posted, hope they don't deliver poor interiors in the name of "tailoring to the market".
VER_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:19   #153
Senior - BHPian

Can they not come up with a better name ? Slavia somehow reminds me more about the word Slave.
fhdowntheline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:36   #154
BHPian

To start off, I for one, love the name. Sounds pretty classy and dynamic.

That said, in my eyes this could be an attempt at covering up for the Octavia's current Superb-like pricing where the earlier Octavia sat at where we expect the Slavia. More than the game of pricing, it's a packaging game this time around. It's taking the dominant SUV Market head-on and if it claims to sit above the Rapid-City-Verna-Ciaz segment, it needs to have what it takes from bumper to bumper. It doesn't kill much for people to settle for a cheaper City or Rapid if the Slavia isn't appealing enough.
Old 8th October 2021, 15:12   #155

This could turn out to be a good competitor to the City if priced right. I am hopeful of at least a 1-2L lower price-tags than the Kushaq. This could then bring the fight to the city, which is currently the only one holding fort for sedans in the 10-20l segment.

On a slightly facetious note, never thought i will ever see Peter Sagan in a car advertisement in the Indian market. Perhaps to do with Skoda's years long association with the Tour de France. Still, good to see from a cyclist's perspective.
kratswat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:00   #156
Senior - BHPian

Is this indeed going to be a notchback and with rear wipers this time? This body style definitely has its practical advantages. We've been served the opposite by Tata and Mahindra with seemingly notchback designs but having a weird boot type opening!
Old 8th October 2021, 19:37   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Can they not come up with a better name ? Slavia somehow reminds me more about the word Slave.
Got to do with the Slavic heritage/culture I believe. Anyways, I do hope this one comes with better interior fit and finish unlike the Kushaq. Also, I wish they equip it with split folding rear seats(60:40) something most sedans in India lack.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 23:17   #158
BHPian

I don't have any hopes from the VW group's India 2.0 programme. Only thing they have managed to Indianise (I hate to use this stereotype) with Kushaq-Taigun twins is the quality whereas prices are still German. Unless the Slavia is a mini-Octavia, VW group can start packing their bags.
octane_100 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 21:01   #159
Team-BHP Support

Although the unveil is set to happen later this year - the Slavia will reach showrooms only by early 2022 -

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-screenshot_20211009205312_twitter.jpg
(Source)

Cousin VW Virtus will be starting official production in February and to be launched by end of April.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:35   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The car body cannot get any wider than Kushaq's; I remember very well, reading this.

The width is the maximum that the MQB A0 IN can accommodate/ offer. If that stands true and what the auto journalist shared is a fact, then one could assume the rear seat of Slavia might not be wide enough to accommodate 3 adults reasonably well (like Honda City, perhaps?
I think maybe that might not be the case. Kushaq is an SUV with bigger wheels than most sedans and higher GC. So technically that should mean larger wheel-well and slightly wider fenders. So if that holds true, perhaps the Slavia can have slightly better seating space because of the smaller wheel-well and (probably) slimmer dimensions. I'm just speculating though.
Hash09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 10:42   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I don't have any hopes from the VW group's India 2.0 programme. Only thing they have managed to Indianise (I hate to use this stereotype) with Kushaq-Taigun twins is the quality whereas prices are still German. Unless the Slavia is a mini-Octavia, VW group can start packing their bags.
Your fears could just be well founded. Anything 'indianised' has proven to be inferior with multiple compromises.

I wish time proves me wrong, but iam not holding my breath.
Old 11th October 2021, 16:05   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Camouflage wrap for new ŠKODA SLAVIA is the result of a design contest.

› Winning design by Shreyas Karambelkar will mask the ŠKODA SLAVIA during final test drives ahead of its premiere
› The winner will travel to Prague to meet Oliver Stefani, Head of ŠKODA Design
› Saloon for the A0 segment is the second new ŠKODA model from the INDIA 2.0 project

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-211011_camouflagewrapfornewskodaslavia1440x810.jpg

Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia-1.jpg

Ben Stewart from Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu has been chosen as the runner-up and wins a design tablet. The other three finalists will be awarded Skoda gift bags.

Quote:
During its last test drives, the final details of this new saloon for the A0 segment will be concealed by a very special camouflage wrap. It is the result of a “Camouflage with ŠKODA” design contest that enabled external design professionals and budding designers in India to submit their ideas. The contest received over 200 entries and was won by Shreyas Karambelkar from Badlapur in Maharashtra. In addition to a trip to Prague, the designer also won an in-person meeting with Oliver Stefani, Head of ŠKODA Design.
Winning design represents blend of Indian motifs and Czech art:

Quote:
Shreyas Karambelkar’s design proved to be the winner. Its warm colours along with peacock and lotus flower motifs represent Indian culture. At the same time, the design also references elements of Czech glass art and Cubism. As the winner of the contest, Karambelkar will now fly to Prague, where he will meet the ŠKODA Head of Design, Oliver Stefani. The runner-up design took its inspiration from the ŠKODA colour palette and impressed with basic regular shapes arranged in what appeared at first glance to be a random pattern. The jury rewarded this effort with a design tablet, while the remaining finalists received ŠKODA AUTO products.

Source: ŠKODA

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th October 2021 at 16:17.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:13   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda Slavia:
Attachment 2217877
Preliminary looks but doesn't the ride looked too jacked up? It reminds me of the Suzuki SX4 from this chubby camo photo

I sincerely hope it doesn't go the extreme cost cutting like the "Kushaq" way and give Honda City a good competition.
Old 13th October 2021, 16:02   #164
BHPian

What do you guys think would be the expected price range of the Slavia ? Should I book the City CVT or wait for the Slavia?
I love the tasty 1.5 motor of the VW group, let's hope they price Slavia competitively
Old 13th October 2021, 16:14   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
What do you guys think would be the expected price range of the Slavia ? Should I book the City CVT or wait for the Slavia?
I love the tasty 1.5 motor of the VW group, let's hope they price Slavia competitively
My expectation(purely mine) is that the range will start with base variants pitched against Verna and City while the top end 1.5DSG would come with a premium above the top end petrols of the City or Verna. As told my Zac Hollis earlier, they have stretched the MQB-A0IN to its max for the Kushaq for width. For length they seem to have made the Slavia a little longer(??) wrt wheelbase. But placing it above the Kushaq would be suicidal since that segment is dead from sometime and would not bring volumes to justify a new product being developed. Getting the Octavia here isnt the same case since development costs are not high and it is developed internationally.

Hence my expectation for the pricing would be in the regular C segment band and with a slight premium for 1.5DSG which would still put it below the Kushaq 1.5DSG. Beyond that, I dont think the Slavia would offer anything more than the Kushaq to demand a higher price band.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks