Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 478 55.32%
Diesel 363 42.01%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.66%
Voters: 864. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 13:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Do you mean that the car leaps forward when you release only the clutch? If thats the case then yes the car does picks up speed when the clutch is released but thats the anti-stall feature working, the ECU dials in some revs so as to avoid stalling the car if the clutch is released suddenly and it does get annoying especially in bumper to bumper traffic.
In general too I would find the Verna to leap ahead. This probably what we would call the turbo-kick where there is a surge in acceleration. I am aware of the anti-stall feature and not talking about same. To give an example I was once driving down the highway and in 3rd of 4th gear the car suddenly leaped ahead a bit between a barricade and a autorick creating a almost panic braking situation for me. arindambasu13 has explained my issue better in his post .
Old 25th September 2019, 14:08   #62
BHPian

My present car - Vista D90 which is a diesel - is 6 years old now and we are thinking of either replacing it or getting another one for the wifey. This one is going great right now so no real reason to replace it.

The lean is towards buying a CNG powered car or even an electric since it will mostly be used for in city driving. Even otherwise I would go for a petrol model considering the vision of the present government.
Old 25th September 2019, 14:16   #63
BHPian

I voted for petrol. My running is way too low to justify a diesel.
Another (maybe significant) determinant to the poll would be ATs. Within the 10-lakh bracket (the largest chunk of car buyers), there are so many petrol choices with all the transmissions. We have jerky AMTs, smooth CVTs, guzzling TCS and unreliable DSGs. The customer is evidently spoiled for choice. There are easily no less than 10 cars
But if you were to look at the diesels, how many diesel hatches with ATs exist? Just two!
Of course, we have the Ameo DSG and Amaze CVT, but they don’t really suit all the buyers.
So there is a very limited choice. All the compact SUVs are mated to AMTs. So, if a customer really wants a good diesel AT, he is forced to significantly stretch his budget.
Old 25th September 2019, 14:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

For high milers like me, diesel still makes sense (even with tiny price gap in fuel). I've done 21K in little over 10 months, all our trips are drive trips and planned at last minute. My tank up frequency is 600 km minimum and maxed out so far at 881 km, 800 km fuel ups are common in my highway trips. These were unimaginable in the Corolla I owned that gave a measly 5 kpl !!

Except for these bans and BS6 stuff, for long the regulations have been biased towards making better diesels than petrols. Petrols > 1200 cc fall under a higher tax segment, ,this limit is 1500 cc for a diesel. This doesn't matter for D segment and beyond, but is sensitive in the commuter segments.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:00   #65
BHPian

Voted for petrol, my average run is ~16K/year. New petrol engines have enough torque for me and less headache in maintenance. Validity of R.C. for diesel vehicle is another factor to opt for petrol.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:20   #66
BHPian

I currently own a petrol car. My second car would be a diesel that too i'm looking for a pre-owned. I know this is a 180 deg shift but I am smitten by diesel car's toque after I drove my friend's Ecosport. Therefore I voted for diesel.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:31   #67

Voted for Diesel since I use my car mostly on highways. The diesels are simply more powerful, fuel efficient and torquey. And I dont see good petrol cars in the sub 12-lakh category. The mass market 1.2s aren't enjoyable and stress free on the open roads. A few good petrol engines find themselves fitted into not so good cars like the Etios.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:46   #68
BHPian

In the family we have Two Diesels and two petrol cars all of them do their jobs respectively well and the Skoda diesel is a great car for long drives.

But voted for others. I have come to like the Petrol Hybrids. I think they will dominate the coming decade.Similar to the CNG + Petrol fueld cars in the market.

Only hope Cars like the Camary become little cheaper.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:55   #69
BHPian

I like the revving petrol, but driving naturally aspirated petrol misses the turbo which i got used in my current and last car.

After using 2 petrol and 2 diesel cars, i am fully looking to own a turbo petrol to have the revv and turbo together. TSI / GDI kind of vehicles are more needed for the petrol to make happy driving.

Still voted for diesel and will like to change only when every petrol car in india is turbo petrol. No offense to naturally aspirate petrol
Old 25th September 2019, 15:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

I have never driven or owned a diesel in 24 years of car ownership, and I think I never will. Plus the 10 year limit in Delhi makes it even tougher.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 16:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Voted for petrol primarily because I cannot stand the diesel clatter, especially at idle.

Notwithstanding how upmarket the diesel car maybe, the clatter is either suppressed (sound deadening) or sometimes not even attempted to. The NVH and refinement aspect of a good petrol engine (even with the bonnet open) is just unmatched
Old 25th September 2019, 16:33   #72
BHPian

Voted petrol, far more involving to drive, far quieter and comparatively cleaner.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:49   #73
BHPian

Voted for Petrol. I loved diesel, but new Direct Injection Turbo petrol engine with high rev nature, sweet sound with refinement can be sweeter than torquee oil burner. Also, its greener compared to Diesel.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:56   #74
BHPian

Petrol, being the cleaner fuel of the two. However, I miss the torque of a diesel on the highways in the NA petrol cars.
Old 25th September 2019, 17:19   #75

For me, it depends on the size of the vehicle. For an SUV, definitely a torquey diesel engine. For small cars and mid-size sedans, I would prefer petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks