Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Petrol vs Diesel - What's your choice today?
Petrol 478 55.32%
Diesel 363 42.01%
Other (please specify in your post) 23 2.66%
Voters: 864. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 17:50   #76
BHPian

Re: The 2019 Petrol vs Diesel Car poll - What's your choice today?

Voted for Petrol as I have not driven petrol in the last 14 years and all the ownership has been with Diesel. I would like to own one, however ironically I may end up buying a diesel as I am looking for SUV as my next upgrade!
Old 25th September 2019, 18:15   #77
BHPian

eV should have been part of the poll instead of others. :-(

Although my choice is petrol, i am looking to drive/own a GDI /hybrid and never owned a Diesel due to my driving needs. I am contemplating an eV but hesitating due to unknown technological risks.
Old 25th September 2019, 18:27   #78
BHPian

I love naturally aspirated, free revving petrols. I am not a fan of small turbo petrols.

My fascination was strengthened even more after driving two specific engines (3.6 Pentastar V6 in Challenger and Chrysler 300, and 6.4 HEMI 392 in Challenger Scat Pack).

Diesels are more practical, better mileage and (for sub 4m) performance.

But the instant response of a NA petrol, the smooth pull till 6000+ rpm is something which needs to be experienced. The outright acceleration might be better in diesels, I prefer the linear-ness and the sound profile.

We've owned multiple diesel and petrol models in the family, and right now we have 2 petrol and 1 diesel car in my family.
Old 25th September 2019, 18:56   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesel anyday!

Reason : Usage.
I drive 40000-50000 km every year, the load being shared by 2 diesels and 2 petrols right now. I somehow don't connect well with petrols (I did connect so well with the Abarth punto though lol, but I can't afford 7 kmpl that it returned for the 200 km I used it ).

Diesels for the milemunchers like me
Old 25th September 2019, 19:19   #80
BHPian

It's diesel for me. I have driven only petrol cars for last 15 years and for a change I bought a Skoda Rapid TDi DSG and boy oh boy! what a gem this engine-gearbox combo is. I'm absolutely in love with that torque surge and no matter how hard I push her, she always rewards with a decent fuel economy. With the BS6 norms kicking in 2020 and all that euphoria around pure electric way, I believe this is the best time to own our favourite diesels.
Old 25th September 2019, 19:53   #81
BHPian

Voted for Petrol.
Diesel has some advantages like higher mileage, more torque at lower rpm, better tank range etc. For bigger and heavy vehicles like suvs, I'd still go with diesel but as the OP said, after BS6, diesels are going to be very expensive and almost illogical to buy. It'll take a lot of kms to offset the price difference with its petrol counterpart Not to forget there won't be many models with diesel options in the near future. Overall, petrol is going to be the go to option for those who don't want to dive into the electric bandwagon. Easy and cheap to maintain, less NVH and probably longer life are all too good to ignore.
Old 25th September 2019, 19:56   #82
BHPian

Voted for petrol. A lot has been said on the nature of petrol engine and emission characteristics. One more thing that has brought a smile on my face with petrol engine is that at subzero temperatures above 14K feet altitude all through the night, my car started at the first crank in the morning. While other bigger diesel cars (mainly commercial vehicles and a few private one's as well) were busy putting fire under their belly and using other techniques to get it starting, I smiled and went on my way.
Old 25th September 2019, 19:58   #83
BHPian

I have voted for other as I feel ultimately we need to move into transport powered by renewable energy. Electric cars is also not a solution as we are just shifting problem from one problem to another.

We need to go for efficient public transport with massive restrictions on private ownership of cars/vehicle.

Diesel should definitely get banned and only cars powered by CNG allowed until renewable energy takes over.
Old 25th September 2019, 20:04   #84
BHPian

Voted for petrol. In fact, turbo petrol for me.

Considering the damage they are doing to humans and environment, Diesels should be discouraged by Government more stringent than how cigarettes are treated now. High taxes and lifetime of only 7 to 8 years (max).
Old 25th September 2019, 20:07   #85
BHPian

Voted petrol.
Why? The Abarth T-Jet has me hooked.
Old 25th September 2019, 22:36   #86
BHPian

Turbo Petrol for me. I currently drive one of the most under-rated turbo petrols in India which delivers both thrills and efficiency when you know it well enough.
Old 25th September 2019, 23:31   #87
BHPian

As far as driving or living with is concerned, I have no preference for one over the other. However, I voted for petrol, purely keeping in mind the evolving regulations around cars in India.

Looking at the erratic policy moves by the current govt., just can't shake the fear that they might just pull another NGT nationwide any moment.
Old 26th September 2019, 00:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

I don't think diesel can be disregarded so easily. At the end of the day, it provides a more frugal performance.

Maybe diesel cars will be banned on exceptionally high pollution days.
Old 26th September 2019, 01:16   #89
BHPian

As of today, My running is around 100 kms a day. I drive a diesel (bought it when fuel was around 45rs per litre) and the fuel cost has started to pinch now. My next car would be a petrol AT + CNG since CNG is easily available in Delhi NCR and near my workplace there are ample CNG pumps with little or no lines.

I am also planning to retain my diesel car for outstation trips.
Old 26th September 2019, 08:03   #90
BHPian

Petrol anyday! This does not mean that I "dislike" diesels. There are certain cars where diesels outshine their petrols (Nexon and Creta for example).

I'm a fan of the old school naturally aspirated Petrol, which loves to rev with enthusiasm. Having owned two generations of the Swift Petrol, I can say that it trumps the diesel with it refinement and consistent power delivery on tap. (Yes, diesel is potent on remap!! )

My primary criteria and requirement is refinement followed by power and driveability. This is truly fulfilled by NA engines.

My Ecosport S on the other hand is a beast on the highway, but dead in the city. Takes time to close gaps and this does get irritating and have to wait for the turbo to spool.

I will never complain if you give me a good diesel to clip on the highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks