Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 16:34   #76
BANNED

correction. the onroad bombay price of the car 35 laks. id rather be nice to my wallet and not nature in this one time. only in india, can they afford these stupid prices. i actually went to the show that toyota held and one person was eager to pay 1 lak as DP for the prius. india is full of idiots hence every comapany can come here and loot. also to thank is the tax structure. one of the most stupid in the world.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Folks,buy a Wagon R Duo instead.
At daft prices like this,this car is neither here nor there.
Old 8th February 2010, 19:20   #78
Senior - BHPian

27L for Prius. Am i reading a joke in here Come on Toyota! this is too much. Why will any one pay 27L for a Hybrid. Its going to be flop like Civic hybrid!

One can rather pay some extra money and buy a MERC Blue efficiency! This is known to emit less CO2

Any ways, lets wait and watch if how many Prius would be sold in next 6 months!
Old 9th February 2010, 01:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully someone in the government will stop thinking about minting money off cars and atleast offer sops to hybrids and CBU hybrids. Sometimes, I pity their stupidity.

BTW why is everyone blaming Toyota for this? Agreed, they're glaringly stupid with the CBU Camry, but what choice do they have with the Hybrid?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th February 2010 at 01:04.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:49   #80
BHPian

We all have to appreciate Toyota for being honest and coming out openly and recalling so many vehicle. There has been lot of news for the delay in action or poor or delayed response etc, but think about those manufacturers who dont care for all these and just hide lot of problems and take customers for a ride. Quality Revolution also means rectifying the concerns opnely and Honestly.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
We all have to appreciate Toyota for being honest and coming out openly and recalling so many vehicle. There has been lot of news for the delay in action or poor or delayed response etc, but think about those manufacturers who dont care for all these and just hide lot of problems and take customers for a ride. Quality Revolution also means rectifying the concerns opnely and Honestly.
I think that is too much of appreciation for the big Japanese 'T'.. I, for once (and many world-wide) would be very sceptical driving a Toyota after hearing all these recent defects which are not mere simple 'problem', but are life-threatening as well (latest recall being the new Prius, for possible brake failing when driven on rough roads).. Over-confident 'T' should be put to task on how such serious defects were transferred to the cars at the first place quite openly.. I think their so called quality revolution did not go hand to hand with their ambition of becoming No. 1 car maker..
Old 9th February 2010, 11:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Prius at Powai on my way to work, it was being filmed by Overdrive for their show and the car was driven by Shubrata Marmar.

The car looks decent but has absolutely zero presence and it looks quite small.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:10   #83
BHPian

Just to make things clear...Toyota deserves no appreciation for recalling the vehicles. It certainly wasn't honest in this case and as far as manufacturers who hide problems and take customers for a ride is concerned..well Toyota did just that.

Toyota was aware of this problem a lot earlier and NHTSA had started an enquiry but then one executive from Toyota left them and joined NHTSA and suddenly the investigation stopped without any rectification. In short Toyota planted one of its guys in NHTSA. How honest and customer focused is that?

I find it hard to understand that why do people swear blindly by any company. If they are wrong then they should be held responsible for it. it is because of this attitude of most of the people that Toyota has only raised its forecast for year end results and predicts a frther increase in sales going forward. Instead if we all could first gain complete knowledge about a matter and then decide rather than blindly and unknowingly throwing laurels for a company's wrong actions too.

Wonder when we will change and till we don't we will continue to buy cars at more than the price they are worth and still be on clud number nine for that
Old 9th February 2010, 11:40   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
correction. the onroad bombay price of the car 35 laks. id rather be nice to my wallet and not nature in this one time. only in india, can they afford these stupid prices. i actually went to the show that toyota held and one person was eager to pay 1 lak as DP for the prius. india is full of idiots hence every comapany can come here and loot. also to thank is the tax structure. one of the most stupid in the world.
35 lakhs on road ! Thats atrocious !
I just wish you are wrong. I keep reading the price tag to be 27 lakhs. Can someone confirm this.
I wish Toyota and Honda start building their hybrid cars here in India. Its a far fetched dream but that will be the only thing which will make these hybrid cars affordable to us.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:03   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
Just to make things clear...Toyota deserves no appreciation for recalling the vehicles. It certainly wasn't honest in this case and as far as manufacturers who hide problems and take customers for a ride is concerned..well Toyota did just that.

Toyota was aware of this problem a lot earlier and NHTSA had started an enquiry but then one executive from Toyota left them and joined NHTSA and suddenly the investigation stopped without any rectification. In short Toyota planted one of its guys in NHTSA. How honest and customer focused is that?

I find it hard to understand that why do people swear blindly by any company. If they are wrong then they should be held responsible for it. it is because of this attitude of most of the people that Toyota has only raised its forecast for year end results and predicts a frther increase in sales going forward. Instead if we all could first gain complete knowledge about a matter and then decide rather than blindly and unknowingly throwing laurels for a company's wrong actions too.

Wonder when we will change and till we don't we will continue to buy cars at more than the price they are worth and still be on clud number nine for that
That's just a viewpoint and not substantiated. There are many industry watchers and commentators that feel Toyota is taking concerted action to resolve this issue.

See here for a different viewpoint:
Can Toyota Repair the Damage? | BU Today

An excerpt:
"In the case of the tainted Tylenol, Johnson & Johnson was blameless, but some have charged that Toyota was aware of the problem long before the recall.
I think Toyota and its manufacturers do their best. NHTSA — whose leader is so critical of Toyota — completed eight inquiries of reports of acceleration problems in Toyota models, and all those reports were opened and closed with the conclusion that there was no pattern. Every day there are thousands of reports about possible defects in all makes of vehicles, and the automaker must decide if it’s systemic. Is that exhaust smell inside the car a systemic problem? Or could it be just one bad car? Toyota finally concluded the floor mats were getting caught in the accelerator pedals, so they recalled the floor mats. Then there were reports of problems in car with no floor mats. Reports like these come every day; they could be the result of driver error. If so, it doesn’t require you to go and recall four million cars."

While it may turn out that Toyota covered things up, it is too early to prejudge things and bash Toyota and its loyal customers. The jury is still out on the issue.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:50   #86
BHPian

Check this bad news for toyota

Toyota recalls 437,000 Priuses, hybrids globally - Yahoo! News
Old 10th February 2010, 05:08   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
35 lakhs on road ! Thats atrocious !
I just wish you are wrong. I keep reading the price tag to be 27 lakhs. Can someone confirm this.
That is correct. I was shocked as well. A Toyota salesperson told me the price is 35l on road.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:17   #88
BHPian

Hybrids In The Indian Market

This is in response to the launch of the Toyota Prius in India. Besides being a Marquee of the concerned company, what could be the motivation behind the company to launch such a product for the Indian Market? One would have thought the fate of the Civic Hybrid launched and discounted before being withdrawn in the not-so-distant-past would have scared the prospective entrants. This when there are no exemptions for such a class.(This also begs another question, shouldn't the government be encouraging such products by way of levy exemptions?) Notwithstanding this, in a price-conscious market, what do you think would be the right price band for such a product taking into account the economics of scale ?
P.S. I am really surprised TATA intends to launch Vista electric in UK before its Indian Launch!! is it a case of them having read the market correctly?
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:11   #89
BHPian

Saw a Toyota Prius parked on Lodhi Road (New Delhi) today afternoon.
Car was no attention grabber at that price tag. (Some may like it that way)
Nor did it seem to be something extraordinare among other indian cars lined up next to it.
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:05   #90
BHPian

24 units of the Prius sold!!!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks