Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Rofl @ 31 lakhs. I have never seen such stupid prices and totally ignorant people to even buy this. It costs more than a BMW 320 D :O

Toyota should be punished with no sales for even thinking about selling this in India at this price.
If people were paying 24 lacs for the Civic Hybrid ,Definitely This car is worth the 30 odd lacs its worth.

This car is used by Numerous Hollywood celebs and various celebs around the world , i dont see them driving around in 320D's.
Driving this car itself is a statement.

Was Being followed by one yesterday night.
The Torque on the Electric motor looked very addictive.
He was able to keep up with me in the city but after say 100 it loses out power.

Last edited by vinaydas : 22nd April 2010 at 21:43.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:09   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
If people were paying 24 lacs for the Civic Hybrid ,Definitely This car is worth the 30 odd lacs its worth.
I might have to correct you there : Civic Hybrids were gathering dust in godowns until Honda had a clearance sale, and slashed the prices to 14 lakhs.

No ones going to pay 30 for a Prius and Toyota knows it. This is a "halo" car (look how green we are)
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:21   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
The world’s largest selling hybrid car Toyota Prius has received 80 confirmed bookings in India and the first batch of 24 have reached customers already. Toyota had settled for 200 cars to be imported from Japan for 2010, but after seeing the demand, it may need to rethink that number.

Sandeep Singh, deputy managing director (marketing), Toyota Kirloskar Motors -

We are happy with the demand for the car and believe that once the cars hit the road demand will go up further. Bookings are robust and should go beyond the 200 cars that we have asked for from TMC, though we are not likely to get any more cars this year. Next year we will definitely order more cars… maybe 400 or 500.

Most of the cars sold so far belong to entrepreneurs and industrialists. Toyota expects Bollywood artists to join the camp soon as the Prius customer, according to the company, makes a statement and stands out of the crowd. Toyota believes this will start happening as soon as cars are available at dealerships for test drives.

Source – Hindustan Times
Despite recalls, the Toyota Prius has managed to attract customers in India
What a load of B@%$*&, robust bookings ?! I checked out the car in the flesh at the Toyota Quality exhibition & found the interior quality to be terrible, with plastic graining for the door pads reminding me of a concrete wall. Cheap & tiny gear shift knob too.

Nothing so great in terms of legroom, feel good quality or even boot space. The shiny black plastic cladding on the rear hatch is completely unsuitable for Indian climate.

30 L for this load of @#$% ?! Would rather buy a pre-worshipped 320 D for 15 ~20 L & drive the socks off it Not to mention the driving pleasure, interior feel good quality & the prestige associated with the BMW badge.

IMO, the Prius garners looks on the account of it being just a funny looking hatchback.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post

This car is used by Numerous Hollywood celebs and various celebs around the world , i dont see them driving around in 320D's.
Driving this car itself is a statement.

Was Being followed by one yesterday night.
The Torque on the Electric motor looked very addictive.
He was able to keep up with me in the city but after say 100 it loses out power.
Oh I have sat in the Prius in UK, its bull from every angle. Would not buy it for even 1/4th of its current selling price.

Yes the switch from Electric to Engine power and bla bla is unnoticable, yes the co2 emissions are very less, but we don't have a Co2 based tax system like UK, nor is all this frill and jazz worth 24 lakh's a wise investment as i ll take 200 years + to recover all that dough.

Might as well buy something exciting like an automatic Chevy Cruze and enjoy the actual torque wave with comfort, top speed and conventional real fun.

Celeb's all just want to act all nice and 'I am doing my bit' kinds, for every Prius a celeb has, their other cars would be equally bigger and double gas guzzlers.

Last edited by humyum : 23rd April 2010 at 21:28.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:40   #110
Senior - BHPian

If mr moneybags wants to clear his conscience and show he is green whats the harm?

Last edited by avishar : 23rd April 2010 at 21:42.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

the other day i had seen a kid ,possbily close to ><=18.
Obviously he was the son of a rich guy. so that might be one of the key markets for the Prius.

@GTO
The Civic Hybrid went down to 13 lacs simply because they wanted to get rid of it.
I had compared it to the initial price.

Our Tax system completely sucks , atleast they could give little rebate to cars which are eco friendly and almost emission free such as the Reva or the prius.

The Prius had to be a CBU as getting it via CKD route would be very difficult because of the complex nature of Hybrids.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Prius yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-img_5855.jpg  

Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-img_5858.jpg  

Old 27th April 2010, 10:13   #113
BHPian

I my opinion the car looks ugly from the back and even more ugly from other angles.the best ever green concept (vehicle) should be a bicycle.wish the hilux was here instead of this.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:20   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Cheap & tiny gear shift knob too.
I thought that was one of its USP's. Electronic Gearshift lever. Its literally a feather touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
...Might as well buy something exciting like an automatic Chevy Cruze and enjoy the actual torque wave with comfort, top speed and conventional real fun...
I don't think they ever intended to put out that kind of image with the Prius.
It is definitely not conventional.

My 2 cents.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:36   #115
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Prius today and have to say that although it doesnt have good looks, it does stand out amongst all the other cars in the market. And it looks best in light colors (silver, white).

Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-prius1.jpg

Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-prius3.jpg

Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-prius2.jpg
Old 18th July 2010, 01:21   #116
BHPian

I just checked Toyota US site and the MSRP for entry level Prius is $22,800, which translates to roughly Rs 10.5L
Old 25th January 2011, 22:26   #117
BANNED

Re: Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.

With petrol prices rising every few days, The day is not far when we will crave for hybrid cars and the toyota prius is the world's largest selling hybrid. It has huge scope in the future if toyota reconsiders the pricing. I too, was interested in the prius and i am a big fan too, but the pricing was a huge disappointment.
Anyways, here are some pictures of the prius in the mumbai motor show.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-sdc13050.jpg  

Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-sdc13024.jpg  

Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-sdc13023.jpg  

Old 26th January 2011, 07:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

Saw the PRIUS in the flesh, the first thing about the car that hits you is its size. Its truly a hybrid even in looks, looks like a cross between a hatch-sedan-SUV and what not, very imposing nevertheless. The 'aam junta' will have no problem believing you when you say you paid 30 lakhs for it
Old 26th January 2011, 09:29   #119
Senior - BHPian

Toyota never disappoints on Design front. All their cars are hideous looking and this one is no exception. Looks horrible.

Maybe they use ugliness as a verification tool. Make the car so good that in-spite of it being "SO UGLY" it will still sell.
Old 18th February 2011, 13:01   #120
BANNED

Spotted this a while back in mumbai in adheri. Looks really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched.-img00037201007161732.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks