Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 14:13   #466
BHPian

Re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

I'm sure everyone knows that MG Motors has been a Chinese company (SAIC) for many years.

Given the present escalation of hostilities between India and China and banning of many Chinese goods and services, isn't it possible that MG Motors may have to shut shop in India, leaving the owners of their cars high and dry?
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 14:32   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I'm sure everyone knows that MG Motors has been a Chinese company (SAIC) for many years.

Given the present escalation of hostilities between India and China and banning of many Chinese goods and services, isn't it possible that MG Motors may have to shut shop in India, leaving the owners of their cars high and dry?
Today's consumer is smart enough to understand "Value" quotient. There are enough Chinese components even in an Indian Company product. Unless the Govt. bans, MG is here to stay!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 14:49   #468
BHPian

Hi, I saw these advertisements too about it being launched at 28.98lakh INR where the Gloster is being advertised as a ‘AUTONOMOUS L1 CAR’.

I have a query; what exactly does Autonomous Level One mean? I could not get much detail online. It would be great if anyone who knows about it can help me.

I think there should be a separate forum about ‘Levels of Autonomous Cars’ where someone who knows about this technology can explain in detail. If there is, you may please share the forum link, as I could not find any. I am very keen on learning these technologies of new cars, you see.

That being said, I too am anxiously waiting for the Team-BHP review of this car.
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:10   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Hi, I saw these advertisements too about it being launched at 28.98lakh INR

I have a query; what exactly does Autonomous Level One mean? I could not get much detail online. It would be great if anyone who knows about it can help me.
Level 1 autonomous tech means that the driver has to steer the car and the acceleration braking is controlled by the camera and LIDAR tech. Adaptive cruise control is possible only with a camera and radar tech.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-ce38a4bec1f94843b08e41277fec1760.jpeg

This picture should help in understanding the different autonomous levels.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 17:30   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Level 1 autonomous tech means that the driver has to steer the car and the acceleration braking is controlled by the camera and LIDAR tech. Adaptive cruise control is possible only with a camera and radar tech.
Hey, thanks for simplifying this for me. That picture helps too.

However I have these additional questions;
1. MG advertises it as India’s first L1 Autonomous SUV. But Volvo SUVs like XC40, XC60, XC90 have LiDAR and similar tech too. So how does MG call itself ‘First’? Is there some difference in the technologies or is MG’s advert a weasel word sort of thing?

2. Volvo cars also have a thing called Park Assist Pilot, wherein the system takes control of the car and automatically manoeuvres it into the spot. Heck even the Ford Endy has a similar thing. My Question: Do these cars also qualify to be autonomous? If yes, what level?

3. Although this is a topic which is still being researched, what all levels of autonomy are permitted in India? Is a completely self drive car legal?

NOTE TO MODS: Please move this post to a suitable thread if you find it off-topic. Apologies in advance for the same.
Old 19th November 2020, 18:16   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

I think buyers are smart enough to know that, government of India can't ban any one single car company just because of it's Chinese ownership, especially if the car is being manufactured/ assembled in India, by the Indians and for the Indians! Scenario 2, if they seriously decide to ban all Chinese goods, most of the industries will go in a long downward trail, especially the Auto industry where many components of the cars are of Chinese origin!

Quote:
Hey, thanks for simplifying this for me. That picture helps too.

However I have these additional questions;
1. MG advertises it as India’s first L1 Autonomous SUV. But Volvo SUVs like XC40, XC60, XC90 have LiDAR and similar tech too. So how does MG call itself ‘First’? Is there some difference in the technologies or is MG’s advert a weasel word sort of thing?

2. Volvo cars also have a thing called Park Assist Pilot, wherein the system takes control of the car and automatically manoeuvres it into the spot. Heck even the Ford Endy has a similar thing. My Question: Do these cars also qualify to be autonomous? If yes, what level?

3. Although this is a topic which is still being researched, what all levels of autonomy are permitted in India? Is a completely self drive car legal?
Correct me if I am wrong, but Volvo cars don't get the Emergency braking warning and Auto Emergency braking features. I guess it's because of that. Or the one's that might get it could be the CBU models.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 18:57   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but Volvo cars don't get the Emergency braking warning and Auto Emergency braking features. I guess it's because of that. Or the one's that might get it could be the CBU models.
Thanks for answering my question, but I don’t think that’s it. Volvos do get the auto emergency braking feature, in fact, they recalled 7 lakh cars worldwide due to a problematic auto emergency braking system early this year. Of which, 1891 were Indian cars who were affected.

Volvo XC60, XC90 and S90 are assembled in India at Volvo’s Hosakote Facility near Bengaluru.

Source: http://https://www.financialexpress....0-s60/1904848/
Old 19th November 2020, 19:05   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Official definition of autonomous levels is defined in SAE standard. [SAE = Society of Automotive Engineers]

SAE J3016 : Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to Driving Automation Systems for On-Road Motor Vehicles

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-j3016levelsofdrivingautomation1210.jpg
[Source_1] [Source_2]

Quote:
Because it has set of features that qualify for L1, that no other car in India has as of now. Also, MG is marketing smartly as "L1 Autonomous SUV" to avoid any blow-back.
Quote:
Yes & No. Yes : They provide momentary support. No : Support is only for parking, not driving (forward).
Quote:
Completely self drive car (assuming Level 5) is not yet legal around the world, due to want of sufficient confidence on technology. Upto Level 2 is permitted in India; other countries permit upto Level 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Level 1 autonomous tech means that the driver has to steer the car and the acceleration braking is controlled by the camera and LIDAR tech. Adaptive cruise control is possible only with a camera and radar tech. This picture should help in understanding the different autonomous levels.
This screenshot is highlighting application of LIDAR as technology in various Autonomous Levels and may not fully answer EightSix's query.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 19:30   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I saw these advertisements too about it being launched at 28.98lakh INR where the Gloster is being advertised as a ‘AUTONOMOUS L1 CAR’.
Well its just a way of over marketing your feature, in a manner which sounds futuristic. There are lot of tables that define what the various levels of automated driving is. But let me tell you the main difference in L1 and L2 AD is how the features are designed. There are two key interventions that happen, in my own terms:
1. Longitudinal intervention - In the form of acceleration and braking
2. Lateral intervention - In the form of steering or differential braking

In L1 driving, either of the two can take place but not at the same time. You can have adaptive cruise control, or you can have a blind spot warning but they cannot cross intervene with each other. Or in simple terms, you can have an adaptive cruise control but without steering assistance to follow the lane. And so on. Or the blind spot detection system can give you a visual and audible warning, but cant intervene and prevent you from changing a lane in spite of the warning. Same with the lane departure warning system. It can only warn you of trying to cross a lane.

In L2, both interventions can happen at the same time. If you have adaptive cruise control on, it can also help you maintain a certain lane according to how good the road features are. Or if you are trying to make a lane change when there is a vehicle in the blind spot, the system will actually do differential braking to get you back into your lane, same with LDW.

The MG according to marketing material has L1, which manufacturers like Volvo got much earlier and Mercedes directly started with L2 in India. I am not sure what sort of a claim MG is making, but at least it will impress customers since not everyone knows about this tech and unless Volvo tries to dispute this claim, they can continue their trumpeting.

Since I have been working on these systems all my career, I can tell you there is nothing to boast about an L1 system even if it is for India. The very reason they bring in an L1 system is that its intervention is very limited and they dont have to deal with too much of false positives. In case of the MG, it only offers AEB which of course is useful, but will intervene very late and very hard. For the adaptive cruise control, it can be pretty conservative and would not be a big problem on the highway. The rest are all audio visual interventions in which false positives would not have a big consequences compared to a higher interventio. L2 and above is the bigger deal to handle in a country like India. Thats why if I recall right, Volvo did roll back some of its ADAS offering in India due to the same reason. Curious to see how MG is going to fare here.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th November 2020 at 19:36.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 20:56   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

Because it has set of features that qualify for L1, that no other car in India has as of now. Also, MG is marketing smartly as "L1 Autonomous SUV" to avoid any blow-back.

Yes & No. Yes : They provide momentary support. No : Support is only for parking, not driving (forward).

B]EightSix[/b]'s query.
Volvo has pilot assist which does assist with driving for speeds of upto 140 km.It works very well in clearly marked roads.

Last edited by praveen_n : 19th November 2020 at 21:23.
praveen_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:44   #476
Senior - BHPian

MG Gloster delivered to customers during Diwali

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20201120134237_chrome.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20201120134229_chrome.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20201120134220_chrome.jpg

Source : Rushlane

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th November 2020 at 13:48.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 14:57   #477
Senior - BHPian

Here is a night review by the one of the owners of Gloster. Interior does seem much more special than the Utilatarian Toyota or Ford's now seemingly old interiors. Headlights performance too seems pretty good.

Last edited by 07CR : 20th November 2020 at 14:58.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 14:09   #478

This is a brief video on GLOSTER's off-roading capabilities.
The channel belongs to a fellow BHPian AlphaPetrolhead

Mod Note: Our MG Gloster Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2020 at 17:09. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks