Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2007, 14:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

GR8 news people. NOthin in for us though.

the engine is made in collabration with Hyundai and Diamler Chrysler. and also comes with MIVEC and ALSO COMES WITH CVT. and also costs only upwars from $14K . but nothing to take on civic SI yet.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...py?artid=77392

Auto Reviews | 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer - Automotive News

Mitsubishi Announces Pricing for All-New 2008 Lancer

Note from mod: Do not use more than two smileys per post

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th April 2007 at 15:33.
devarshi84 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2007, 16:57   #17
BHPian

The side view looks very much like the new C Class Merc, especially the line on front fender and doors. Were they jointly developed or inspired???
Old 4th March 2007, 23:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

I always liked Lancer's because they had a character of their own.

This one looks too bland and appears without any character of its own. I am somewhat surprised that it appealed to many fellow BHPians, but to me, the front simply sucks and the rear has nothing to write home about.

It may be a fantastic driver's car with a great engine under the hood, but look wise it is just yet another new car.
Old 25th April 2007, 14:21   #19
BHPian

By HM standards, if at all HM launches the new 2008 Lancer, they might price it near Accord and keep both Cedia and the old Lancer as well. Thats what they had been doing for past 50 years starting from G'ol Amby. I feel the new 2008 Lancer gets styling cues from out going Galant. at least the front. New Lancer would save Mistu from the dwindled sales due to 2003-2007 Lancer models (sold as cedia in India). Mistu had been seeing some sales since 2006 end after they launched the Ralliart edition of lancer with CVT. HM or Mitsu direclty should definetly bring the new Lancer and phase off other models. This sure will hotten up the B+/D segment with already in new Civic and yet to be launched Corolla (considering that the Lancer gets various engine options and trim levels to compete both with the likes of City/Feista and Civic/Corolla).
Old 25th April 2007, 17:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i think cedia looks much better from front.
No it doesnt - not even from the back, or sides, or top or bottom. The earlier Lancer was a beautiful ageless looker

Last edited by theMAG : 25th April 2007 at 17:08.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
No it doesnt - not even from the back, or sides, or top or from the bottom.
oi take a closer look with glasses on. I cant stop looking at it from my office window.

I'll post pics in the other thread.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
oi take a closer look with glasses on. I cant stop looking at it from my office window.

I'll post pics in the other thread.

I looked at it from a NASA-spec telescope.

What level is your office window at to the parked Cedia? I'll give the benefit of the doubt from that angle to you seeing as how you're doing a fabulous job for Lathangi Motors.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:24   #23
BHPian

Misleading Ads

Mitsubishi is desperately trying to pull wool over everyone's eyes by an ad blitz in papers with a rally car and proclaiming how they are rally kings around the world and then sell outdated models. They are still in the Ambassador mode of thinking. Chevy keeps trying to do that with a corvette in ads.. Its like Kawasaki showing a Ninja in the ad and selling a 100cc two stroke bike..God, when will these guys learn that this time and age, these things dont work!!!!
Old 25th April 2007, 18:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I looked at it from a NASA-spec telescope.

What level is your office window at to the parked Cedia? I'll give the benefit of the doubt from that angle to you seeing as how you're doing a fabulous job for Lathangi Motors.
ah here see the picchars. also this is not from my window. ill post the window pics tomo.

My office window is on 1st floor.

ps: just realised we are OT. this is for the new Lancer.
Old 25th April 2007, 18:19   #25
BHPian

it looks superb guys,i agree with mag it looks much better than cedia
Old 25th April 2007, 21:52   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

While the car is superb,
will it sell in India?
Assuming it is launched in India, people will not pay more than 9L for this new gen 'Lancer' (as GTO said, the lancer has a good image but now has also begun having a 7 - 9L mid size car/taxi image)
If they could launch it with a detuned MIVEC engine and aim it at a niche market comprising of enthusiasts who are mainly buying the RS and the likes, rename it and call it the Lancer EVO instead of simply lancer, price it at below 15L OTR with most of the bells and whistles (AC, PS, PW, Alloys, side skirting kit, spoiler, sunroof, leather and mainly ABS and Airbags etc.), they could just about sell it in decent numbers (200 - 300/month). Also, the EVO name will increase sales amongst non-enthusiasts and their kids who have heard of the evo in rallies and want something to show off with to their other friends who are driving civics and octavias.
Who knows, it may actually sell 500+ units/month that way.
But by the time they realise this, it will be way to late.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th April 2007 at 21:55.
Old 25th April 2007, 22:32   #27
BHPian

Well Mitsubishi isn't all that healthy at the moment though they just turned profitable. And after the Cedia bombing, I doubt they'll bring in this new Lancer.
So do u guys not like the Cedia or something? I sort of found it decent. But I would rather buy a Corolla instead of it, and the Civic if I could dig deeper. The Lancer lost momentum by the time the Cedia was launched. By that time, I just found the Lancer image sort of jaded especially compared to the competition. First, I would update the interiors of the base Cedia a bit, instead of keeping it all black. Then, in a dire need to sell a few cars, drop the price by a lakh. And that might help in selling a few cars, it isn't all that bad a product. I especially liked the shape of the dash. It's just that the Corolla has the momentum.

As far as the looks of the new Lancer are concerned, it seems inspired by the Evo X concept which of course looks awesome but I don't think they have executed it as well with this new car. And as for the topic to the thread, I don't think the '08 Lancer will make it here, so obviously I won't answer when .
Old 26th April 2007, 00:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

If HM continues to offer the old lancer and does not launch the new one in fear that it will bomb like the cedia, its just going to dig a deeper grave for itself. The lancer was a huge success when it was first launched but Mitsubishi failed to keep it updated. Also when they finally decided to launch the Cedia they decided to position it a whole segment above the lancer whereas it should have been a replacement for it. HM & Mitsubishi really need to rethink their strategy for India.
Old 26th April 2007, 00:26   #29
BANNED

is this launched abroad yet ? if this comes out what on earth will they discontinue then
Old 26th April 2007, 09:05   #30
BHPian

Coming to think of it!!!
The 2008 Lancer is already launched. It is the EVO variant that would be lauched in another years time.
It would be great if an EVO can be launched. I am sure ... Mitsubishi India... would not regret it.

Coming to think of Cedia, Based of Viduth's comments... and the new thread on OHC and Civic... Cedia would be a good drivers car.
When I drove the Corolla, I did not feel confident on its handling on turns.

Cedia is a good package... but EVO is the need of the hour
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks