Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 09:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I don't get it. If TML can keep nursing JLR for so many years, can't they simply acquire tiny Jayem and take over the technology and the staff ?
If I remember correctly Jayem is based out of Coimbatore (the reason you see TN-37 Tata test mules), where the company's been since 60s or 70s when they were making those Jaya diesel engines. JTP Contact Us page also has Jayem address not Tata's.

How much Jayem wanted to part with technology or move out of Coimbatore is something that's not being said.
narayans80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:05   #17
RnK

re: Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Only thing that held me from buying JTP then was the news of facelift twins going to come. I was hoping facelift Tiago will see its JTP avatar.

If this news is true my dreams of owning a new JTP is over :(
If you are really interested, you can still check with dealers in Bangalore. They should still have 1 or 2 JTPs in stock. Might as well get a big discount!
RnK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 14:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
The twitter account which posted this, does not exist.
It existed yesterday, but even then the tweet had been deleted. Probably the PR crews have swung into action. I'm sure this person will be posting a non statement very similar to the mg customer response soon, somewhere along the lines of thanking his employer for his humane firing, and for all the support offered, or perhaps outright denial. Let's see how they choose to play it out. Heck, they might offer him an entry level job in the Tata group company that's being used to clean up the messes of all the other group companies.

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th January 2020 at 14:15.
greenhorn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 14:24   #19
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2020 at 15:23.
VWAllstar is online now   Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2020, 08:00   #20
SR7
BHPian

The official JTP Instagram account had begun posting in Jan 2019 and of late was making a new post almost every day consecutively barring a few days now and then, totaling 331 posts from Jan - Dec 21st, 2019. Such an active account suddenly went silent after Dec 21st - no new post for more than a month is very uncharacteristic for this account by it's own standards. Something is definitely up. It's just a relevant observation after I read this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-91120a07601748878d4a5c89cb6fba31.png  

Last edited by SR7 : 30th January 2020 at 08:01.
SR7 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:47   #21
BHPian

Just contacted a JTP official (not from dealer) . According to him the tweet came from a fake account. Fingers crossed.
cosmopolitan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:13   #22
BHPian

Damn, this is sad and unfortunate on so many levels!

1. As the other BHPian noted in a previous post I was eagerly waiting for the BS6 versions while trying to convince family (and myself) about getting the Tiago JTP as my first car. Now, even if I can manage to get one at a local dealer I am in two minds as it is a discontinued / unsupported product. If the company is dissolved what happens to the warranty claims?

2. This move will only reinforce the decision other brands have taken in bringing very tame cosmetic 'sporty' editions (Ciaz S - seriously!?). If there were people inside these organisations making a case for proper hot / warm hatches this closure will not help their case.

3. Tata should have always considered this to be a marketing spend and as a long term investment in improving the perception of the brand. Maybe when they did their U turn with the Tamo Racemo they were too far ahead with this venture and let it remain instead of axing it completely but there was probably no supporters on the inside. Again, not sure why this was a separate venture and not just a division inside TaMo. Maybe that was a requirement by Jayem to have a bigger say in the cars?

4. These are all rumours and if it is true, it is unfortunate that these employees have been left high and dry in today's economic situation especially in the automotive industry.

All the JTP owners, you have a true classic which will be talked about for years! As we move to Electric cars, we may not see another car of this type again.
tinshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Whatever may be the case here, I do not understand why the sword of ethical behaviour is always hanging around corporations and their policy but does not extend to employees of talent pool. What is ethical in a person accepting an offer and not joining as promised after accepting some other offer and not being courteous enough to inform in advance? or absconding from work after doing as a better offer came along?

There are many other unethical things employees do but will one ever get around to hold them responsible!
In this case, the venture did not work out and company has to cut losses. They can not pay out of pocket as it is only profit that sustains any venture. I am sure proper notice would have been served before termination of employment as warranted by terms of employment.
RajeevSharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

These 25 'Real Engineers' can start a 'Real Auto Shop' and cater to all those poor souls who do not know what a real engineer'd Mod is and muck up their car big time. It will surely take time, but one's passion (& hard work, dedication, etc) will surely be recognized in due course.

Yes, of course access to resources like CATIA, ANSYS, a Windtunnel, a Dyno, will cost Big Bucks - but you never know...

One Step at a Time!
svsantosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Feel bad for the employees. In the time of the market being dull, I am sure these employees would have been passionate ones who worked on the product. If the tweet is true and they are left without a job, then its a pity. Instead of creating a separate company, they should have just deputed employees from either side and created a project house. Hopefully the employees will get absorbed by either companies.
I think, folks at JTSV might have a slight edge in getting a new job compared to the other (conventional job description ones). These were some of the folks who knew their stuff well. I'm not talking about the Marketing/Administrative dept. But, the Technical department should not have a big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
All the JTP owners, you have a true classic which will be talked about for years! As we move to Electric cars, we may not see another car of this type again.

Last year, during the process of selecting my CSUV, I had written to JTSV guys asking them about the Project Nexon/NEXON JTP. I thought why not give it a shot and ask them (I thought that they might not reply). I wrote to them asking, that I would hold my buying decision, if their NEXON JTP would be launched in the upcoming months. The reply from the JTSV team was that, their current focus was on TIAGO and TIGOR.

Last edited by shashi792 : 30th January 2020 at 12:07. Reason: .
shashi792 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 15:11   #26
BHPian

As much as I mourn the loss of a venture that brought out such great VFM performance cars in our market, I couldn't figure out how such a venture will remain commercially viable. The sales of Tiago and Tigor JTPs are restricted to certain cities. Without much marketing, the public is largely oblivious.

That said, was hoping for the Nexon JTP and the Altroz JTP models sometime in the future. Oh well. Atleast Nexon EV's videos of rapid acceleration cheer me up.
GipsyDanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 09:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
If Nexon with its 1400kg weight can do 0 to 100 in 9.99 seconds how much will Altroz and Hornbill take with their 1100 kg weight? And if they are to perform better in acceleration than JTP line up, why bother continuing the business?
Let's not have an acceleration battle(0 to 100 run) between electric's and ICE's. Because it'll be irrelevant to compare these two power trains. Why irrelevant? Take an example of the Tesla Model S P100D that makes most million dollar super-cars eat dust in a 0-100 drag race.

If acceleration was the only point to be considered in a performance oriented vehicle, people would have dumped their Ferrari and Lamborghini in favor of Tesla. The other parameters too are mandatory. What I'm trying to say is, both these Power-trains are totally different from each other and similar to the taste of people. So let's not close this topic with a 0-100 run.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2020 at 07:08. Reason: Removed dead link from quoted post
_lewie_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 18:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

The media silence about this news is deafening. Surely some insiders should have come forward to either refute or confirm this statement. But there is *nothing*. I find it a bit strange. Neither have the 'blogs' or social media outlets picked it up, nor any activity coming from JTP themselves.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:55   #29
BHPian

High Performance cars dont sell in large numbers in india! PERIOD.

Several manufacturers (Maruti - Yes they too tried with the S-Cross 1.6 with seducing 320nm torque; Ford with Fiesta 1.6S, Punto Abarth, Fiat Linea with 120bhp, and several more) have tried and market simply doesn't accept them, except the brilliantly packaged Skoda's vRS series. Tata's JTP attempt was highly appreciated but it was bound to be short-lived.

Market is very clear - Real High performance cars are for those having deep pockets with multiple cars at home; for the rest, its value for money. Thanks to our roads and road discipline, even with a high performance car, where will one enjoy? (Other than race tracks).

I personally own a BMW 330i (yes, the rare breed with 250+bhp) and haven't driven it beyond the kms/hr that's taboo to mention here, but just for few minutes/seconds.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd February 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Formatted post for readability. Typos.
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

One of the issues with this is also the positioning. JTP should have been the default choice on all but the base variants. That would have made it an automatic success in terms of numbers. When you have a heavy build, you need your best engines to haul it. Marketing it as a performance version doesn't make the cut because the discerning buyer knows there are better options (such as TSi) and the average buyer wonders whether mileage will be hampered in an already heavy car.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks