Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)

Disappointing news indeed. I nearly finalised on Tiago JTP in December but waited for Altroz prices then and finally ended up buying a Tiago BS6 in March amid rumours that this would happen.

I think TML is doing what is best for the company to survive in these tough times. Their decision to seperate the PV business and to cut off loss making ventures like these are a great move if you consider the bigger picture. Someone higher up is logically thinking for the betterment of the company. (On a lighter note he is obviously chauffeur driven )

Hoping TML would bring these ideas back under their own brand like "GT" or "RS" lines few years down. Maybe limited special editions which would make them an even sweeter deal.

Last edited by janakiram_m : 2nd April 2020 at 14:42.
janakiram_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:11   #47
BHPian

That's sad news but also happy I didn't buy this. There were few signs (coincidental or not)
  • Tiago/Tigor got a touchscreen while JTP did not. Was told it'll come later and then it was an additional accessory which will be retrofitted in the dealer side
  • Extended warranty - spoke to JTP toll free and was told it'll be available shortly. Thank god I didn't fall for that
Tata could have held on to this, improved the existing product range and this could have given a tough competition to the GT TSI (provided Tata came up with an automatic)
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
That's sad news but also happy I didn't buy this. There were few signs (coincidental or not)[list][*]Tiago/Tigor got a touchscreen while JTP did not...
JTPs have had a touchscreen from the get go. The later versions got a 7" touchscreen, while the initial ones had a 5" touchscreen.
vik99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post
JTPs have had a touchscreen from the get go. The later versions got a 7" touchscreen, while the initial ones had a 5" touchscreen.
Apologies for that incorrect statement. As you said, I wanted to mention the larger touchscreen
Old 2nd April 2020, 17:47   #50
BHPian

Speaking from the bottom of my heart- it's so sad to see that the full hearten attempt of Tata and Jayem went down the drain. They tired to bring in the 'fun' and alas they failed. This forum has become what I would like to call, judgement makers who sit in their chair and just type away whatever comes to their mind which has no solid evidence, data or any sort of experience. Mind you there are amazing individuals here who have the panache to call and judge but other are just, just! The demise of JTP is a perfect example, if you look at the traffic in T-Bhp of guests , it's downright amazing, kudos to the team. The same time normal people take it to heart on the opinions mentioned here. JTP was not appreciated or recommended cos it was a Tata and we know how Tata is known in here.
RevJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:19   #51
BHPian

From what I heard from someone who interacted with the JTP team in February, it looks like Tata is trying to build the capabilities in-house. The Tiago and Tigor JTP were unique products. But the average buyer in this segment prefers a larger touchscreen and great mileage or a CNG kit at this price point. Few want a performance car because it comes at the cost of mileage (that's the perception).

Hence Tata may look at creating similar products for cars like the Nexon, Altroz or Harrier, where the better driving experience will be appreciated by customers. I don't think this will happen in the near future because the market will be subdued at least for the next year or two.
Nissan1180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:48   #52
BHPian

Future Classics for sure , I drove one recently and it was a absolute hoot . The parts are 99% common with the Tiago or the Nexon ( for the engine ) and even if they are not , no bother for me as I already have classics is the garage for which the only option is to scrounge the internet for months to find a oil seal .

Looking through all classifieds already to pick one up , once this lockdown opens !
wbd8779 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 23:17   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
  • Tiago/Tigor got a touchscreen while JTP did not. Was told it'll come later and then it was an additional accessory which will be retrofitted in the dealer side.
The facelift in aug 2019 did come with a proper 7 inch touch screen and Auto AC in Tiago JTP. I was surprised to see this model in KLN Motors, Chennai. Almost bought it and then backed off before buying, as the team didnt follow up.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd April 2020 at 23:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 23:37   #54
BHPian

Sad news for enthusiasts. JTP twins were excellent products but failed due to lack of marketing & interest from Tata Motors.

Seems like Nexon petrol gained 10 bhp in the facelift because JTP version was in ventilator.
karan0009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:12   #55
BHPian

Couldn't help but post this image from the source https://jtp.tatamotors.com/about-us.html

one sad story indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-jtp-story.png  

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 3rd April 2020 at 12:16.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors issues a statement on the Tata-JTP situation

We had earlier reported that Tata-JTP has officially been shut down with effect from March 4, 2020. Now, Tata has released a statement regarding this.

Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-jtp-twins.jpg

Quote:
JTP brand has a great follower base and has been strongly appreciated for its styling and performance. Tata Motors will continue to support the JTP cars that the customers have bought. We have been in the process of reviewing the business model for delivering the JTP branded cars in light of multiple regulatory changes, in terms of emissions and safety. We will announce at the right time the set of actions emerging out of it.
Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:47   #57
BHPian

The JTP Saga or maybe an Obituary from my viewpoint

Don’t know how to start, can’t find the words, there is so much and nothing, can’t understand how Tata or other big corporations work??

Let’s start from beginning or what I know, Tata entered passenger car segment with promise of a vehicle whose outside dimensions will be like Maruti 800 and yet inside space like an Ambassador. They launched Indica, country was mad over it, everybody wanted one. But slowly the car was getting used by cabbies more and more, the ownership and service experience was maybe below par as country had moved to Maruti standards. Even the Padminis and Ambys were dying.

I remember from magazines of my college days, J.Anand creates a Indica Sport, a double zero car for rally. Journalists are gaga over the car and how Mr. Anand drives it. I know about his racing side but now I am aware of his tuning side, also get informed (from prints) that Tata sends him cars to tune. Everybody thinks and wants this Sport version but one gets only the round tail lights on IndiCab version (correct me if it was vice-versa). The point is this product doesn’t even remain in enthusiast’s dreams.

Meanwhile he keeps churning out some concepts like Tata Formula car and super-Nano.

Now nobody expects Tata to launch anything besides mediocre cars which handle like boats (No offence to anybody). The Safari brand which still is cult is getting dead, unlike Mahindra who kept Scorpio and later XUV updating or even Royal Enfield who are still selling classics.

My neighbour owned two Safaris back to back, both had big problems, they even fought a case in consumer court, but they still love the car and even today will buy one if Tata promises it to be reliable.

In the meantime Tata brought Kite/Zica/Tiago/Tigor in a bid to gain marketplace. They were now trying to do a Maruti/Hyundai by offering less inside space but better fit, finish & quality. They also wanted good fuel efficiency but their engines were very boring. Slowly they also start deleting features one by one.

The company it seems, who owns Jaguar-Land Rover and brought them to some profit and has interest in anything from IT to salt, tea, steel & vehicles, is very confused about their domestic car market.

Suddenly some spy shots and news do round of sports versions of Tiago and Tigor, the cars get displayed at Auto Expo with promise of launching them and forming a new company. Everybody liked their commitment, it was daring but of course a company like Tata could easily do it. It was like taking their years old relationship with Jayem to new heights.

People were confident and waiting. The cars were launched, a few bought it and few were waiting for reviews.

How many times do you see a car go to top of Team-BHP wish list immediately after launch.

The car was almost perfect as a daily driver with a sporty touch and tweaks with a mouth watering price. It is very entertaining and special.

It doesn’t seem like a money making enterprise as the numbers were never going to justify (It was not going to and not meant to sell like Alto or even the normal Tiago), instead the whole exercise was like advertising and show the technical prowess while influencing the influencers in the society. There was huge interest from the people even the ones with least interest in Tata. Some really bad YouTube videos were and still are raking huge numbers of views. The hits on T-BHP news, official review, ownership experiences are catastrophic. My own experiences which by the way is 3rd & last thread on ownership got more than 10,000 hits in less than 24 hours.

The JTSV team was like concierge, going to any lengths to solve problems, their marketing head and even the backend staff spoke directly with customers if anything was taking time.

Some guys were waiting for Nexon and Altroz JTPs eagerly as they hoped few initial problems might be ironed out and they will get a modern affordable hot car. Alas! it is not to be.

Infact what feels bad is Tata who can donate ₹1500 crores towards COVID-19 (people are vouching on social media to buy Tata products) has not even publicly stated that they have dissolved JTSV and what will happen to the cars they have sold, as the parts are different than regular Tiago.

Some dealers are still selling the car and clearing the stocks. We owners would surely like to have the cars’ service manual as many of us intend to keep the car for foreseeable future as we were the few hundreds in this country who put our trust in them.

TML now it seems has shifted interest towards EVs and some concepts they like to publish on twitter. I wish them best of luck! As an Indian I like Tata & Mahindra’s success.

A small statement has just come in from Tata and let’s hope for the best…
2himanshu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

What I don't understand is that these JTP twins were just about a year and half old(? maybe 2) before getting axed. Surely, Tata must have known or predicted such issues during the initial phases that upcoming BS6 norms would make them more expensive and other things like market slowdown etc. So why did they scrap the project before launching the cars instead of leaving a few enthusiasts high and dry with a car whose value might now depreciate even faster than others ?
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I`m wondering if JTP had much of a chance. Scenario - Tiago JTP Vs 1.2 Baleno for roughly the same price - what would be the default choice? It was going to be a hard sell for a value conscious market. If only the enthusiasts would just go ahead and by them in meaningful numbers.

BS6 would have forced them to axe the product line, shoe horning an engine from some other BS6 vehicle to Tiago would have been difficult due to the FWD architecture.
Old 3rd April 2020, 18:53   #60
A M
BHPian

I really hope Tata absorbs JTSV and it becomes the sporty sub-brand within TML similar to the //M, AMG et. al.
A M is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks