Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:55   #31
BHPian

re: Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
One of the issues with this is also the positioning. JTP should have been the default choice on all but the base variants. That would have made it an automatic success in terms of numbers. When you have a heavy build, you need your best engines to haul it. Marketing it as a performance version doesn't make the cut because the discerning buyer knows there are better options (such as TSi) and the average buyer wonders whether mileage will be hampered in an already heavy car.
And risk even the few thousand Tiagos that sell today?
What you are saying is a theory based on a premise that Tiago would have sold even with this engine and lower fuel economy. If that hadnt happened, then Tata would have had another failure on their hand. The simple fact is the market simply couldnt care less for how a car drives or the engine/exhaust note.

BTW, the better option such as Polo TSI doesn't sell a lot either. IMO, this is the best someone has done in this respect but alas the market proved to be an abject failure yet again.

Who knows, this might turn out to be another rumour that has become quite common here these days.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
And risk even the few thousand Tiagos that sell today?
What you are saying is a theory based on a premise that Tiago would have sold even with this engine and lower fuel economy. If that hadnt happened, then Tata would have had another failure on their hand. The simple fact is the market simply couldnt care less for how a car drives or the engine/exhaust note.
My point is simply this: they should have made the JTP powerplant as standard without calling it as a special performance version. The moment you call something as Tata “JTP” people may get confused or alarmed. Also, JTP as a brand acronym doesn't carry the same pizzazz as a GT or GTX or even VX/ SX etc.
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

If this is indeed true then my heart goes out to the concerned employees and everyone who supported the JTP program and the includes the customers.

A manufacturer tries to deliver an FTD car and they are made to regret their decision sooner or later.

Time and again we've seen this happening. There could be different reasons for the different manufacturers but is it really time to accept that there's not enough market demand for sportier versions of cars? Not that the demand was higher earlier but it seems that even the interest is on the decline.

P.S: The Skoda Octavia VRS seems to be an exception rather than the norm.

Last edited by kiku007 : 3rd February 2020 at 10:15.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 04:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

bump - I suppose with lockdown, this is irrelevant, but just curious if there is an update on this
Old 31st March 2020, 16:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
bump - I suppose with lockdown, this is irrelevant, but just curious if there is an update on this
Nope, no update as yet.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Tata-JTP has been shut down in March 2020

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-2018tatajtp02.jpg

Tata-JTP has officially been shut down with effect from March 4, 2020.

I was a part of the JTSV team. Many of us don't know much about the Tata-Jayem joint venture, which has been permanently shut down with effect from 4th March 2020. Customers of JTP are kept in the dark about this recent development and some were still hopeful of buying extended warranty for their JTP cars which unfortunately they cannot avail at any cost.

Customers of JTP don't know how difficult it will be to maintain this car as approximately 150 parts are entirely different from the regular Tiago and Tigor. Shockingly, there has been no official announcement from JTSV or Tata Motors yet.

The following email was sent to JTSV employees. We have seen a copy of it.

Quote:
Dear Colleagues

At the outset let me wish you all and your families a happy festive season of Holi, Gudi Padva in the coming days!

The business environment, particularly in Automobiles has been very challenging and taking its toll on all of us. We had met on 4th December 2019 in town hall communication at our Pune office and communicated the JTSV board decision to shut down JTSV operations with immediate effect and completion of all winding down of material assets and manpower by 4th March 2020. We had informed you that anyone who wished to separate in the period between 4th December 2019 and 4th March 2020 would be paid full salary and performance pay as per compensation structure for that employee. Some of you have availed this facility and taken benefit of the offer. Since today will be the last working day for all of us in JTSV, we would be contacting you individually with the final Settlement and formalities for the separation. Please handover your IT Assets to locational in charge (xxxxxxxx for Pune & Delhi, xxxxxxxxx for Sanand). Some unfinished activities for material assets disposal may require extension of some persons on need basis. For such cases the additional days of working would be considered in the separation package.

I wish to thank you all for bringing so much Joy and Power to this company and the many happy customers of the JTP brand. Once again wishing you all the very best.
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 2nd April 2020 at 10:44.
TusharK is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

While on the one hand, I am sad to see the demise of the JTP venture, on the other hand, I am somewhat glad I resisted the temptation of picking up a JTP, simply because I dont know how difficult or otherwise it will be in the future to maintain a JTP and to get it serviced with genuine parts. As the earlier post itself states, this aspect is left to remain a grey area.
arindambasu13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:12   #38
BHPian

May be time to cache this page in TeamBhp as memories https://jtp.tatamotors.com/

In the month of December 2019, I was dilly dallying primarily between facelifted Baleno RS and JTP Tiago for daily drives, before RS went out of stock and JTP added that digital cluster, which made me postpone, wait and watch. Don't know, if I should feel sad or happy on missing out on these cars. Mostly feeling sad.
arighna.dutta is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:16   #39
BHPian

That's terrible! JTP twins were the only "worth" cars this side of a million Rupees in India - good engine, good performance and tremendous value for money.

With this closed, what are the options with us? Aura 1.0Turbo (ugly looking), Venue SX or lower variants (with some stupid feature misses - like rear wipers), Ecosport Titanium (again that pitiful touchscreen). Nexon is not the same "VFM" proposition it used to be, but I guess it is still the best of the lot (considering 5 star crash worthiness).

I will miss the JTP twins a lot (I had almost made up my mind on Tigor JTP; was just waiting for the test drives and a go ahead from my better half).

Last edited by Sheel : 5th April 2020 at 15:13. Reason: Typo.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:27   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

RIP. What a tragic loss I must say. For once someone went ahead and attempted something actually tuned different than a stock car. Not just a sticker job (in fact the car had no stickers, which made it even more special!). I am annoyed with TML for not having the commitment to continue this - or simply to absorb this as a sub-brand rather than a JV. surely they can spend some money like this. They should - if they want to stand out in the crowd. Disappointed...
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)

Depending on how long-term reliability turns out, I'm now either sitting on a driving enthusiasts' collector's item or a 1:1 scale model.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:29   #42
BHPian

It is unfortunate that the JV folded. The JTSV Team was always available and went to great lengths to ensure hassle free service support and a great ownership experience. I wish them luck for their future careers.

The cars are punchy little devils and are a hoot to drive. Tata toyed with the idea of a sporty version of their hatchbacks for a reasonably long period starting with the Indica Sport before the JTP Twins materialised. Who knows, there may be more to come...

Here are a couple of my favourite clicks of my Tiago JTP
Attached Thumbnails
Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-img_20191110_1115002.jpg  

Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-img_20191110_1117292.jpg  

vik99 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is such a shame. We've been cribbing about the lack of affordable options for pure enthusiasts in India for decades. Finally, a manufacturer comes up with legitimate sporty cars tuned enough to make such folks smile and what did we do?

We refused to buy them. Yes, there were a few here and there who took the plunge but were the numbers justifiable enough? Apparently not, going by this decision.

And now those who took the plunge will forever have this in their heart when they go car-shopping. Every time we do this (Abarth Punto & Ford Fiesta S come to my mind), we're only proving to all the car-makers to shun the enthusiast crowd and go after the feature-loving, chrome-loving masses. After all, Maruti-Suzuki is smart. They didn't burn their fingers trying to bring in the Swift Sport here!

As for the Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP, you'll be missed. Be it the restrained looks, the leech-like handling, the sporty thrum emitted, the two of you exuded class all the way. I'm just sad Tata didn't absorb this small JTSV team that brought in such big smiles!
arvi86 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Don't want to say, I told you so, but would just go ahead anyways.

This was pretty evident from the start. I was always of the opinion that these cars did not have a value for money proposition compared to other offerings in the same price and would only appeal to hardcore enthusiasts with a lot of money to spare for an experiment. Faced a lot of backlash for saying it aloud as well.

" A lot of people will say it is good/ great/ fantastic, but not even 1% of them buy" They would still go and buy the conventional hatches which would give a lot more for that money or even less. I myself was open to trade in my 6 month old Ignis for this, however 2 test drives (2nd one to really convince myself) and I came back disappointed.

A brave and valiant attempt no doubt.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:12   #45
BHPian

You know, even on an enthusiast forum like Team BHP where most of us crib that there aren't any performance cars which are affordable yet when it comes to putting money where our mouth is, we look the other way. Enthusiasts like us blame manufacturers for not bringing in sporty models yet when they bring in those models we make our choices based on other criteria. The bottom line is that our market is no where near ready for performance cars to sell in viable numbers and with the corona virus episode putting even more pressure on the economy, i don't see the dynamics changing for the foreseeable future.
needforspeed88 is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks