Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 09:49   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to buy Jayem Automotives' stake in joint venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Approx number of cars sold: 270
Impossible to blame Tata on this one! 270 vehicles over more than a year is eye-wateringly low! I'm sure Porsche sold more cars over the same period but with much much fatter margins. It just doesn't make financial sense for Tata but I can't help but think that an Altroz JTP or a Nexon JTP just might work given their more premium positioning.

Also, I hope Mahindra doesn't lose interest in the XUV300 sportz because of this! With COVID, everything is hanging up in the air!
Old 30th June 2020, 23:30   #77
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to buy Jayem Automotives' stake in joint venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What was so radically different about the engine that the cars have to be abandoned as they are not BS6 ready? They were based off the Nexon block (which is BS6 compliant now) and only made an additional 4HP.
My thoughts also go in that direction. Generally, for Petrol engined vehicles, from BS4 to BS6, it is only the catalyst loading (precious metal quantity - Pt, Pd & Rh) that has to be increased for the vehicle to pass and which takes 15-25K (IMO, from the rough observations I made of different vehicle prices going from BS4 to BS6). So, I think that was not the real reason behind not going for BS6 development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I don't get it. If TML can keep nursing JLR for so many years, can't they simply acquire tiny Jayem and take over the technology and the staff ?
I think it might be more because J. Anand, MD, JTSV did not want to give full control to Tata initially and would have wanted to keep it as a separate entity. But when things started getting sour, he might have budged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
It is very sad to see this happening. These kind of special brands like TRD, NISMO are not volume sellers. They never would be, especially when comparing to the off the shelf cousins. They are made and marketed to build the brand's image, niche offering to niche customers who likes to pay a bit more to be different, even bring some of the learning to other offerings and last but not least rev up the sales numbers in between refreshes for the sales teams. ... But enthusiasts like us, it is not easy to forget these kind of strategy and next time, we will think more than few times before touching anything Tata with a long pole.
Yes, JTP/JTSV should have been initially itself, Tata's wholly brand, and should have been nurtured as exactly how you had put it. I would also say that JTP should have been used by Tata to showcase their cutting-edge technologies (like how Renault used to showoff their F1 car on top of their civilian models in the print media initially) and keep it as an (achievable) aspirational brand for the enthusiast.

Tata-JTP in big trouble; layoffs happening. EDIT: Shuts down (page 3)-renault-f1-rs.jpeg

What Tata is doing with JTSV now is not going in a positive direction to improve its brand goodwill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
You know, even on an enthusiast forum like Team BHP where most of us crib that there aren't any performance cars which are affordable yet when it comes to putting money where our mouth is, we look the other way. Enthusiasts like us blame manufacturers for not bringing in sporty models yet when they bring in those models we make our choices based on other criteria.
I couldn't have put this any better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
I wish them best of luck! As an Indian I like Tata & Mahindra’s success.
I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Impossible to blame Tata on this one! 270 vehicles over more than a year is eye-wateringly low!

Also, I hope Mahindra doesn't lose interest in the XUV300 sportz because of this!
I agree that sales volumes are too low, but I feel they should have held on to JTP/JTSV like their performance brand (which I think, of most brands, might not be profitable) and compensated from the regular variants (which would have received a boost from these performance cousins).

I too hope Mahindra launches the XUV300 Sportz well and also at the right price point. IMO, if they price it above ~9L, then not many test drives will get converted to sales.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks