Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 13:09   #16
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

The list in the opening post is quite elaborative and I completely agree with each and every opinion stated there.

I would like to add 1 more car to the list from my side. As BHPian sandx has already mentioned, I would like to add KUV100 to the list. At the expense of being repetitive, I would like to say that every time I see a KUV, I feel like asking the owner-'Why did you buy this car?' Having driven the petrol KUV, I did not find anything exceptional about the car.

However, I do acknowledge that many owners would have seen value in the car and would have put their hard earned money on it.

The KUV with the 'Explorer kit' actually takes the cake here. One look at the KUV with all those accessories and I get further convinced that Mahindra could have done a lot better with this car and the question of 'Why did you buy this car?' starts bothering me again.

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-mahindrakuv100explorerkit1200x900.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th January 2020 at 18:15. Reason: Edited on request of poster. Thanks.
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 13:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra Thar is a truly shit car. Have owned one. It should have never been approved in the first place. Too crude, and unsafe, and way too overpriced.

PS: It was bombproof reliable for over 50,000 Kms/4 years of ownership. Nothing failed.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 13:45   #18
BHPian

Should the Nissan made Sunny be in here as well? It was spacious with decently powered engine. However, over all it was behind the competing cars in the segment or below it.

The car looked like ones designed in early 2000s' and the brand recall did not help it any further. I have never owned a Nissan but knowing it is a Japanese brand and revered in the middle east, the reliability would be like any other Japanese brands. Still somehow I feel Nissan dragged the Sunny way beyond it's sunset time.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 13:56   #19
BHPian

Hi.

I would suggest Etios Cross in this list as well. It was an absolutely pointless product, trying to cash on the new and temporary fad of crossovers (even the Polo had one), and only involved some ugly plastic cladding.

The Polo Cross was another gimmick, but had a more powerful engine and basic engineering at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Should the Nissan made Sunny be in here as well? It was spacious with decently powered engine. However, over all it was behind the competing cars in the segment or below it.

The car looked like ones designed in early 2000s' and the brand recall did not help it any further. I have never owned a Nissan but knowing it is a Japanese brand and revered in the middle east, the reliability would be like any other Japanese brands. Still somehow I feel Nissan dragged the Sunny way beyond it's sunset time.
IF you think the Sunny was bad, what about the same product re-badged under Renault ? I am afraid I cannot even recall the name right now.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th January 2020 at 15:07. Reason: back to back posts merged.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 14:02   #20
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2020 at 15:21.
VWAllstar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th January 2020, 14:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
Mahindra leads the quirky design theme almost at the expense of being graceful in their own assumptions. The KUV (forgot what's after) is one other example. Whenever I see one, the feeling immediately criss crosses as to ask "who would buy this?".
Ask me, there is one in my near family, and everytime I look at it, I feel constipated. To add to the misery, this is how the initial conversation happened with my cousin:

C: Hey Bro, I got an SUV, from Mahindra
M: Congrats! The XUV500 or the Scorpio?
C: No man, that small one, the KUV
M: (some silence)
C: The one which is promoted by Varun Dhawan
M: Ah got it!

The only good thing about the KUV is space. Everything else sucks. The car is now almost 4 years old and feels like a 20 year old truck. Everything is on the verge of falling apart. Rattles all around, there is not a single component from the steering/suspension side which has survived his 20k kms of use. And its not that he is a rash/careless driver. I guess its the quality of components which is to be blamed here. They got a Dzire last year, and this KUV will most likely be disposed off. I was expecting another horrendous looking micro SUV, coincidentally promoted by Varun Dhawan again, but thankfully better sense prevailed.

The KUV looks worse when its accessorized:

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-images-28.jpeg
Leoshashi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 14:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Note: This is NOT a subjective list. It's also based on market performance and ALL of the listed cars have flopped in India. The Top 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade IMHO are as follows:
I think the Tata Movus belongs in this list for sure. Or its sales numbers are even below the minimum threshold to qualify for entry?

I'd rate that car even below the SAIL Twins. What a waste of a potentially good Sumo Grande MK2 platform really. And whoever thought that the same body shell with bullock cart grade interiors at lower price will suddenly set sales charts on blaze as a people mover, really needs to wake up.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 14:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would add Force 1 to the list, it was one massive car with pretty outdated interiors, exteriors and also the gearbox was not impressive if I am not wrong.
Force Motors should stick to making commercial people movers (which they are happily doing), passenger cars is not for them.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:29   #24
BHPian

Am happy and relieved Maruti Ritz did not make the top 10 worst Cars List looks wise, as i own one... But i assume it is lingering somewhere just outside the top 10.
abhi3284 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:36   #25
MCR
BHPian

How can we forget these two from MSIL.

1. Zen Estilo
2. A-Star

Both cars were quiet ugly looking and sold lesser numbers as compared to other MSIL cars during the time. I remeber Zen Estilo and A-Star both had horrible ride quality and a smaller boot as compared to the Alto and they were priced higher as compared to an Alto.

Image source : Google
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-garuda_maruti_astar2.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by MCR : 29th January 2020 at 15:38.
MCR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:36   #26
BHPian

This thread features some of the cars that I wouldn’t even want to be seen with.

And about the design of KUV100, less said the better. I used to jokingly tell my wife that if I book an Uber and if a KUV pulls up, I might just cancel the ride. That thing is just yuck.

Also, how can we forget yet another master piece from Mahindra, the Reva Electric! I know the concept of a battery car was new when it was launched. But for an auto enthusiast, the proportions were just abysmal.

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-mahindrarevai00545de.jpg

Source: Google.com

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Come on! Agree with KUV but Reva. That car was launched in 2001 (?). It was way ahead of its time without any government support or subsidies. It is sad that Mahindra could not capitalize much after acquisition. That is more of a Mahindra's problem than Maini/Reva.

Do you want to see a good looking Reva? I spotted one 9 years back
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post2416754 (Good looking REVA..? Here we go!)

I have a confession to make when it comes to KUV. I have visited just one car launch function till today, and that is KUV100.
Latheesh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:04   #28
BHPian

The Chevrolet enjoy was another great contender for being the worst car. A rebadged version of the Wulling hong-guang from china, that car looked like a huge box. The dynamics, ride quality, brakes and steering manners were all terrible. Interior quality was also terrible, with panel gaps on the centre console being so large that one would think a part has fallen off from that area.

What was worse is the fact that almost every single Chevrolet enjoy diesel suffered engine failure before reaching 40K Kms.
This was not only confirmed by almost all ownership reviews online, but also by various cab company owners and drivers.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:05   #29
BHPian

I think San Storm should also be included in this list.

Weak build, mediocre performance and high price tag has led to its demise.
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-hqdefault.jpg  

carenthusiast is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:33   #30
BHPian

I would like to add Renault Captur to the list. It is an old duster in new clothes, the company tried to sell it as if its a different car sold overseas which eventually was rejected by the customers.
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-renauit-captur.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks