Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 02:33   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

Let me jug everyone’s memory here a bit;

1) Chevy Tavera (Roller coaster ride) - If you’re seated in the front seat, you’ll experience nose dive in such a way that you’re going to hit the windshield if the driver doesn’t release the brakes! I know this was launched before 2010, I’d still want this on the list of worst cars.

2) Honestly, Toyota deserves some place here for bringing in the most boring cars they ever designed i.e. the Yaris! Yuck from all the sides. Boring to the core like Sail twins.

3) KUV100 - need I say more? M&M are too good at designing crappy cars too. When it doesn’t sell at the first attempt, it’s better to withdraw from attempting a second go with NXT version. People aren’t that dumb to just go for the same car with better graphic and dual tone exteriors get a life bro!

4) TUV100 as well to this list (purely IMO) because never liked the design of it one bit!

Last edited by gururajrv : 31st January 2020 at 02:36.
Old 31st January 2020, 03:51   #92
BHPian

In Reference to the Opening post, I will list the cars which I feel were proper sales dud in our market.

Chevrolet SR-V

A decent product with average marketing, failed because it was too early in the Indian Auto scene and came with it's share of flaws. Being a consumer, I too would've picked up a City or something similar over it anyday.

Station Wagons

It's a failed segment in India, be it in the more premium segment or under the 20 Lakh range. None of the station wagons launched in India has worked till date. Infact, even MS couldn't sell one in decent numbers leave Skoda (Octavia Combi), Volvo (V90) & Mercedes Benz (E Class All Terrain) aside. I don't know why does manufacturers even bother to launch them in India unnecessarily!

Honda Accord (Current Gen)

Is it even available till now or has it been discontinued?
I have just spotted one till date. It was so over priced that suddenly Camry Hybrid began feeling such a far more superior car especially at the price point it was offered in, I never expected such a disastrous move from a brand like Honda. I would label it as one of the worst launches of the decade.

Tata Bolt

Another vehicle, I don't know how the members missed out. As per what I feel, it looked way too similar to Indica which people just couldn't accept last decade. Everyone wanted to move on to something much more better looking moreover the Zest was a better Value For Money proportion.

Chevrolet Aveo

I don't know if you guys liked it or not but for me, it was one heck of a downer. Yes! The design is pretty smart but every thing else just wasn't good enough. The reliability was far away from it. I have seen multiple Aveos in my extended family and all failed quite a number of times.

Chevrolet U-VA

Another vehicle, just like the Aveo albeit with a worse design and the cheap looking interiors. It wasn't fun to drive one as well. The market showed both the vehicle it's place.

Chevrolet Captiva

There was so much wrong with vehicle, the sloppy handling, lifeless steering, poor space in the 3rd row with an average middle row and to top it all, the unreliability. I hardly see one on road these days which clearly shows how much it sold and also how many still kept it. The car is rarer than Chevy Forester on Bangalore roads!

Nissan Terrano

Can someone please get the Nissan's stuff dealer arrested? It's astonishing that they are still selling the same car with almost no upgrades even today when it's sibling has moved on at least in some way or the another!
The poor after sales of Nissan along with the pathetic interiors makes a clear way for this butch Nissan in my list. It just not deserves to be a part of this market.

Renault Pulse

What a half hearted attempt by the think tanks at Renault India. Even the ever young looking Anil Kapoor couldn't do anything for it. The car was a disaster from the very beginning. The design of Micra itself wasn't accepted by the masses especially the circular interiors, how did Renault think consumers would accept it with a different brand name?
Old 31st January 2020, 08:25   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Most would not agree with me but I'd nominate the first gen Maruti Dzire to the list. It could easily find its way into the list of weird and wacky mod jobs, but sadly it isn't a mod job. A reputed company chose to build such a contraption and Maruti fans happily bought it in droves.

Attachment 1962659
Look wise yes, functionally it was a success in the taxi segment. In terms of interior and boot space, it was way better than the current Iterations.
PS- I hate the current Dzire.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:10   #94
BHPian

I was going through the list and what struck me immediately was the Force One. It came like a shot of lightning and hit me hard. My uncle had owned one and I can not forget his brags about getting a huge car for 10 lakhs immediately after purchase and after a year or two stopped talking about it completely. After futile efforts to sell the vehicle for over 2 years, it was sold off as scrap, after dismantling a few parts which were functional and selling them off separately. I wouldn't agree with the Koleos though. I still feel it looks like a Q3 from certain angles and definitely sported premium interiors and who can forget the Bose audio. Sonalika definitely is right up there in the list for me.
born.4thnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:58   #95
BHPian

Worst looking car in a supporting role goes to:
The ultra beautiful - Mahindra KUV 1OO

And the award for the worst looking car off the decade/century/millennium/kaliyug goes to:

None other than our favorite brand - Maruti Suzuki Spresso
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-7679_vr_marutispresso_atrnov19_lead.jpg  

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-20180926035642_mahindra-kuv100-nct-front-static.jpg  

Oranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Most would not agree with me but I'd nominate the first gen Maruti Dzire to the list. It could easily find its way into the list of weird and wacky mod jobs, but sadly it isn't a mod job. A reputed company chose to build such a contraption and Maruti fans happily bought it in droves.

Attachment 1962659
Don't get me wrong but I think this is now the backbone of UBER and OLA in India and if any cab companies find out that you are saying this they might starting banning you from taking UBER or OLA (ala Kunal Kamra case)
sdg4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Look wise yes, functionally it was a success in the taxi segment. In terms of interior and boot space, it was way better than the current Iterations.
PS- I hate the current Dzire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4wheels View Post
Don't get me wrong but I think this is now the backbone of UBER and OLA in India and if any cab companies find out that you are saying this they might starting banning you from taking UBER or OLA (ala Kunal Kamra case)
First gen Dzire was just a badly engineered car. Yes, it looked ugly as well. The rear overhang was huge. They simply stuck a large boot onto the swift and didn't even care to increase the wheelbase. Nowhere else in the world they could have sold these many cars.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:18   #98
BHPian

Not sure if this has been already mentioned but the Mahindra Quanto was most confusing in terms of design and handling as well. Not to mention fit and finish.
Old 31st January 2020, 13:42   #99
BHPian

I think Mahindra designs are stuck up with single objectives that can be summed up in single lines for each of their weird offerings.

KUV100:
"Front end/engine compartment must be SUVish, rest all micro hatchback."
If you concentrate on flat bonnet and front fascia nothing's wrong; but from the A-pillar it starts getting weird- why is the upper windowline curved until the C-pillar making both the windows rounded and not matching the front.
At C-pillar the side profile ends abruptly, when you have liberty and tax benefits to touch the magical length figure 3999mm.

Xylo:
"Third row seats must be upright, design everything else around it and to accomodate it!"
Its good that they made the last row comfortable but later to make the vehicle not look extra-long, created a stubby engine compartment. The side profile of the newly launched Xylo looked like a tractor pulling a sled. Here the sliding weight trailer is permanently attached to the tractor. In base models without side foot board it looked even worse.

TUV300:
"Bonnet must be high!"
I had seen the 'Making of XUV500' video in which the Chief Designer explained how they took feedback from the survey they conducted- how the Mahindra World SUV would you like to have. Later they stuck up notes containing suggestions on a board and continued their design work.
I think one note for TUV300 would have been regarding Bonnet height! They made it so high that:
1. The window height got shortened
2. The steering stood high up and in your face for short drivers.
3. The front bumper became excessively heighted that there were no elements to fill it up.
4. The door mounted spare saving some of the grace of the otherwise big slab like rear door.
5. The engine bay has enough space on top of engine that 5 inch deep luggage boot can be created there!

I was deperately waiting for a modernized Bolero during TUV300 launch but it came out something else.
Ideally the modern bolero should have followed the G-Wagon path. Glued windscreens rather than beaded ones, concealed door hinges, flush fitting front & rear doors and little space management inside.
If the phrase " Less is more " had been adopted by Mahindra Design it would have made wonders!
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:33   #100
BHPian

For me, the worst car in the last decade would be the out-of-the-world Maruti Suzuki S-presso and if I wanted to extend the list, I would personally add

2. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo
3. Chevrolet Sail U-VA
4. All three generations of Suzuki Swift Dzire, the current model looks like an HM Ambassador rip off for me.
5. Datsun Go & Go+ of course
6. Chevrolet Enjoy
7. Mahindra Verito Vibe
8. Mahindra KUV100 anyday
9. Mahindra Quanto and its iterations
10. Maruti Alto K10

And now the list is becoming more of the 10 cars I don't like. I presume thats the intention as for us a worst car will never be the ones we'used or bought despite the shortcomings.
Old 31st January 2020, 16:29   #101
BHPian

I think a lot of people are getting confused between flopped cars and worst cars. A star and Estilo will not make it to the list according to me as they have been reliable and serviceable till now. Yes, they do not command the resale of other Marutis. Some are suggesting the Captur. I think it is one of the best looking things around even now. Reva much a futuristic car when it was launched . The Verito Vibe, KUV, the quanto and the Nuvosport however should be added ASAP. I also think that the Indigo Marina from the Tata stable should be in the list especially for it's 3 foot long tail lamp cluster. In my opinion Mahindra beats others hands down in this game.
born.4thnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 18:48   #102
BHPian

Nissan Evalia anyone ?
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:41   #103
BHPian

Very soon this thread will cross 1000 pages and we will have the Mercs, Audis and the BMWs making their way in.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 09:07   #104
BHPian

Hi All,

Shouldn't the Nissan Micra and Sunny be added along with their twins from Renault, the Pulse and the Scala. Renault decided to cash in using a similar concept of cloning as used by Volkswagen and Skoda for their Vento and Rapid Sedans, but forgot that the Vento was a far stronger product as compared to Micra and Sunny which didn't have much backing of brand image like Volkswagen and Skoda neither were class leading products (though many would argue about the back seat space of Sunny which was really stunning at the time of it's launch. I remember the commercial showing cross legged chauffeur).
Old 1st February 2020, 09:50   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehhatter View Post
Toyota Yaris
An overly optimistic price tag made sure it was dead on arrival. Toyota India has always given us the step-motherly treatment with old watered models and slow life cycle updates.

Mitsubishi Cedia

A slowly ageing Lancer was given a cosmetic treatment but a shoddy service network and dated features and interiors killed it.

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO

A lot of enthusiasts were waiting for it since ages and we finally received the final generation model which was priced exorbitantly.

Mahindra
Mahindra has a history of releasing quirky and straight-up weird designs.

I don't think you understood what this thread is about at all. We are not talking about cars that did not sell.

We are talking of the worst cars in India over the last 10 cars.

Cars like the Lancer Cedia or the EVO don't deserve to be even mentioned on this thread. They were iconic cars which catered to enthusiasts and not to massnarket. Only those who knew the potential would even consider it.

There was nothing bad about the car at all!

Same for the Yaris. It is engineered very well and a very good package. The problem is not with the car at all. It is the company that thinks they can use the badge to charge a crazy amount for the car.

Drive a Yaris over a period of time and you will appreciate it for the quality and engineering. It won't wow you instantly.

Same for the Mitsubishi, it's not a car you will like on paper like a Hyundai or Kia with features galore. It's the drive quality. Many people don't perceive this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Fabulous looks, a fantastic chassis and a great drivers car spoilt by weak engines, a company that didn't know whether it's coming or going and sudden discontinuance put paid to what would have made this the best VFM enthusiast car if kitted with a good enough engine. But it was not meant to be.

Any manufacturer would have had to put in a huge amount of effort to make the Fiesta a flop but Ford managed it with the blink of an eye.
True, agreed. The car was good but the brand image didn't work. It doesn't deserve to be on this thread cause it wasn't one of the worst indian cars. Just the sales were less. Car was excellent.

Please don't confuse low sales for the car being amongst the worst.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks