Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 18:57   #76
BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

So we're talking about ugly cars. While I more or less agree with the list in GTO's OP, I am going to add my entries based only on looks, irrespective of build quality and market performance. No offence to owners of these cars as the following is purely my own opinion :-)

1. Tata Manza - This IMO was the most incoherent design in recent times and looked like the front and the rear were designed by two different people! Probably both very dear to Mr. Tata . MSIL atleast had practicality in mind when they made the 1st gen Dzire

2. The 1st gen Dzire - Practicality aside, it was anything but desirable to look at. I felt really sorry for the Swift which was really an avant-garde design and had to share its face with this abomination.

3. KUV 100 - I thought it was one of the ugliest in the market when it was launched; fast forward to present day, I think it kind of looks smart, since the competition has lowered the bar even further (no prizes for guessing who I am talking about). I might actually suggest it to someone who has a thing for such class of cars.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 19:38   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Come on! Agree with KUV but Reva. That car was launched in 2001 (?). It was way ahead of its time without any government support or subsidies. It is sad that Mahindra could not capitalize much after acquisition. That is more of a Mahindra's problem than Maini/Reva.
Absolutely agree. It was a very sensibly proportioned car for the battery/charging technologies of the day.

I find it odd that the original list missed the Sonalika car. What was it called?
Old 30th January 2020, 20:24   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
I am surprised no one considered Fiat Grande Punto and Linea to add to this list. I own a Fiat Grande Punto [2012] and without a shred of embarrassment, i can say it's a flop considering the value-for-money aspect or rather lack of it. Great engine, chassis and driving dynamics but the cost of maintenance, shoddy gearbox, and lack of features is making living with it unbearable.
I am sure you must be referring to bare bones base model. Both Punto and Linea Emotion/Emotion PK had "Blue & Me" which was way ahead of its time... if you compare 2019 Verna's feature list with 2010 Linea, you would be surprised at the limited differences.

As far as maintenance cost, Fiat had one of the lowest maintenance cost. I remember one of the autocar edition had classified as the lowest maintenance costing cars of their segment respectively. Fiat't still sell the Fully synthetic Engine Oil costing less than Rs.700 per litre which gives a 15K KMs service interval. A routine service (Engine Oil + filters + Labour) cost less than 7K and in comparing the same to other 6 Month service interval cars(costing anywhere between 4 to 5 K each time), it is a bargain. Just check the engine oil cost of any other OEM recommended ones or oils available in the market - none of them are less than this. IMHO - Selenia is less expensive but of very good quality (based on my usage)

As far as i remember, both Punto & Linea came with 15K or 1 Year service interval for the first time in their respective segment...

I have a Linea which has done 1.2 Lakh KMs and still turns head when it is parked and or in motion...

Yes, it didn't sell in numbers
But is it a flop?.... NO WAY
Was it bad?... No Way
BrakingBad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 20:43   #79
BHPian

Renault Fluence anyone? It looks good IMO, but have hardly seen one on the roads.
jkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 20:46   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaushik View Post
Renault Fluence anyone? It looks good IMO, but have hardly seen one on the roads.
Again, a very sorted and underrated car let down by poor marketing and a weak brand. I TDed it when I bought my diesel City back in 2014. Was kind of under equipped but I really liked the quality of the product.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 21:21   #81
BHPian

Irrespective of the build and/or performance I'd like to nominate Suzuki Stingray for the looks.

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-suzukiwagonrstingray.jpg
PointZero is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 21:33   #82
BHPian

Can we add a car that sold in millions and we need to look at this eyesore in pale white everyday - the undesirable Dzire(old gen)
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 21:48   #83
BHPian

Chevrolet Enjoy is my pick for the worst car in the last decade. Poorly designed and built.

It was indeed roomier than the ertiga but that was the only positive about the car. Horrible built quality and weak engine meant that owners suffered a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-images.jpeg  

sureshkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:02   #84
BHPian

To be honest, this thread is pretty useless. Sooner or later, every indian car is gonna land up on this page - Either due to personal reasons or due to hatred of a specific car.
Request OP to shut the thread
bhphog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:29   #85
BHPian

I think S-presso should be in the list as well because it looks so cramped and feels like it’ll be a tragedy for all the passengers if it topples.
Tulok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 23:22   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
How could you miss out the ICML Rhino? A cheapo copy of the Toyota Qualis. Had been an extremely regretful purchase for all the poor ones who fell for it. Mechanically and ownership experience-wise a full scale disaster.

I'll say spare the boring Sail twins (which is a much lesser crime) and put this in that spot
This looks like a car Pran would draw in his Chacha Chaudry comics

Edit - surprised that the abomination of a "convertible", i think it was called the Sandstorm or something, is missing

Last edited by Stribog : 30th January 2020 at 23:28.
Stribog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 23:28   #87
BHPian

My contenders would be:

KUV 100
S-Presso
Quanto / Nuvo Sport
Go & Go +
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 00:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
To be honest, this thread is pretty useless. Sooner or later, every indian car is gonna land up on this page - Either due to personal reasons or due to hatred of a specific car.
Request OP to shut the thread
I know what you mean, but I rather want the thread to stay open. First, let's not be compartmentalized and hit every thread with a Thor's hammer. Instead of getting carried away by the emotion, I feel it's a fun thread to know the perception of our esteemed members over what they feel is a worst car.

It is a subjective thread and I do respect the member who consider Punto to be on this list, though I feel it' is still the sexiest hatch out there. It gets awkward when the car we love and own lands up on this thread. If we really love what we love, it really doesn't matter at the end. Let's just chill and wait until someone gets our car here.

Here's my take, based only on looks

1. KUV: I still can't fathom the looks, it's an eyesore and I always makes sure to look into the face of the driver and give him a cringeworthy looks, my friend its anything but kool.
2. SPresso: I love this car for its practicality and defended it to the hilt in the spresso thread, but the proportion knocks me over.
3. Manza: I wanted to purchase this and even took a test drive, thank God for the pathetic cheap plastic, I avoided it for a beautiful Vento. The front half and the rear overhang gets into my nerves even today.
4. Quanto: I have it in my extended family. Why on earth did they not consult me while buying it. Xylo's ugly sibling has to be ugly
5. Eon: Hundai makes clean cars, but those quirky lines on eon is a turn off, the side profile and rear are awful and tasteless. Alto looks like Kadarshian in front of this botched up surgery.

No offence to owners of these machines, it's just my perception
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 00:56   #89
BHPian

Please don't forget the Renault Lodgy! And the Tata Estate although that's a real blast from the 90s lol
Old 31st January 2020, 02:08   #90
BHPian

Don’t you think Zen Estilo deserves a spot here?
This car single handedly destroyed the iconic Zen. Shame on Maruthi.
It also looked like Godrej Almirah. The better looking WagonR is not priced so far away.
No offence to Estilo and WagonR owners.
Oh. How many of you remember Estilo (an already ugly car) was sold in ugly pink colour?
Vasanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks