Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 06:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade

Any body remember the Sanstorm? Or am I dating myself?

Actually it was probably premature and not from a good brand. Looked good enough, though

See:

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-images.jpeg
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 09:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Many might not agree, but I feel Thar deserves a place here . [/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The Mahindra Thar is a truly shit car.
The Mahindra Thar was a lifestyle vehicle and NEVER a primary car. Even the company had placed it like that. And as a lifestyle vehicle it does an AWESOME job, and its for that reason it sells and has a fan club. Not fair to include such a car in the worst cars of the decade list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I think the Tata Movus belongs in this list for sure. Or its sales numbers are even below the minimum threshold to qualify for entry?
LOL.. I'm hearing the name for the first time... Justifies it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
How can we forget these two from MSIL.
2. A-Star
The A-Star was fun to drive. Agree it didn't do justice to the segment it was launched, and it did flop, but the worst car of the decade? Na..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Also, how can we forget yet another master piece from Mahindra, the Reva Electric! I know the concept of a battery car was new when it was launched. But for an auto enthusiast, the proportions were just abysmal.
Oh.. Cmon, please dont add the Reva to this list. It was generations ahead when it was launched, and also I think it looked really cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carenthusiast View Post
I think San Storm should also be included in this list.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
How can anyone omit the TATA Manza from this list.
I had a Tata Manza for 3 years, and it was NEVER the worst car I have driven. It was supremely comfortable, spacious, had good FE and had more features than the Vento Comfortline, I replaced it with. I used to miss a lot of features and comfort of the Manza after the swap. It may have been a flop and had a lot of shortcomings (bad reliability, overall quality, insanely long first gear), but not fair to include it in the worst car list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zehhatter View Post

Mitsubishi Cedia

A slowly ageing Lancer was given a cosmetic treatment but a shoddy service network and dated features and interiors killed it.

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO

A lot of enthusiasts were waiting for it since ages and we finally received the final generation model which was priced exorbitantly.
Oh.. cmon man! The Cedia and the Evo are the worst cars of the decade???

I think we are getting confused between flopped cars and worst cars.
dhanushs is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 09:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
A little surprised to see some of the folks mentioning A-star to be a part of the list.
Agreed. Sure, the A Star wasn't a hot seller like others from the same stable, but Im sure it sold way more than other cars from other brands due to solid core attributes, apart from it being a small, fuel efficient Maruti. We owned one for several years, and it was nothing but supreme fun to punt around in traffic. One of the earliest cars to get the K10 engine, performance was great and the engine, coupled with the slick gearbox, used to love singing at high revs. Lovely little city runabout overall. No way it was one of the worst Indian cars for the purposes of this thread.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th January 2020 at 09:19.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 09:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous looks, a fantastic chassis and a great drivers car spoilt by weak engines, a company that didn't know whether it's coming or going and sudden discontinuance put paid to what would have made this the best VFM enthusiast car if kitted with a good enough engine. But it was not meant to be.

Any manufacturer would have had to put in a huge amount of effort to make the Fiesta a flop but Ford managed it with the blink of an eye.
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-1image.jpeg  

Last edited by AMG Power : 30th January 2020 at 10:19.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:32   #50
BHPian

In my view a "classic" case of taking a good car and trying to update it and ruining the whole thing is the Maruti Suzuki Zen Classic. The Zen was a beautiful jellybean design totally ruined by the abomination called the Classic.
vanam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:33   #51
anb
BHPian

Celerio diesel definitely deserves to be in the list with pathetic 2 cylinder diesel engine. I don't think the Sail deserve to be in the list. Styling of the Sail may be bland, but the car was a overall a decent package with superbly tuned 1.3 mjd, spacious interiors and good ride quality.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:52   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
I would like to add Celerio Diesel to that list. The sole reason being that engine. Celerio petrol is indeed decent a car. And it did introduce 'Automatic' transmission to the masses. But that diesel IMO was TERRIBLE. Just my opinion. Maruti did the right thing by axing it within two years.
I was about to mention the same car. It had such loud engine that I could not believe this was from MS stable. Also engine performance was also very poor.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th January 2020 at 11:46. Reason: Typos and punctuation. Please proof read your posts before submitting. Thanks
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:02   #53
KPR
BANNED

TUV 300 +or- whatever - This car certainly deserves a place. Add to that the Celerio Diesel. By Maruti's sales standards Ignis is a just pass candidate. Dud in sales needn't be declared a worst car.
Old 30th January 2020, 11:06   #54
BHPian

What would be the thoughts on Ford Fusion
Old 30th January 2020, 11:17   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One View Post
What would be the thoughts on Ford Fusion
Fusion came before 2010. It was one hell of a car. A compact SUV a decade before Ecosport and Duster, it was ahead of its time. Too bad it didn’t sell.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Agreed. Sure, the A Star wasn't a hot seller like others from the same stable... Lovely little city runabout overall. No way it was one of the worst Indian cars for the purposes of this thread.
If only Maruti had also stayed true to the concept car, it would sold like hot cake (I was in love with the concept car)

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-download.jpg

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-images.jpg
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:33   #57
BHPian

I think many of the cars mentioned in this thread are mostly because they don't look good, or because they were sold by a company with a small footprint in India. In that context, I feel that this list is a bit unfair. In my opinion, a bad car needs to be bad as a car. That is, if some car suffered from a common mechanical issue, or if it was very overpriced (to a point that the you would get a higher segment of cars for the same price).

My list of worst cars of the decade would be the following:

Yaris: Overpriced, and had some glaring usability issues like the odd handrest
Vento/Polo: The automatics must be an ownership nightmare with the sheer number of failures reported. Don't get me wrong, they might be good cars to drive, but cars are also expected to be reliable.
Celerio Diesel: Even the Maruti brand couldn't save it from being a flop.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:16   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Vento/Polo: The automatics must be an ownership nightmare with the sheer number of failures reported. Don't get me wrong, they might be good cars to drive, but cars are also expected to be reliable.

Seriously?

You are exaggerating the DSG woes.

Vento/polo are beautiful cars, drive very well and are complete packages given the price point.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:25   #59
BHPian

Most would not agree with me but I'd nominate the first gen Maruti Dzire to the list. It could easily find its way into the list of weird and wacky mod jobs, but sadly it isn't a mod job. A reputed company chose to build such a contraption and Maruti fans happily bought it in droves.

The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade-dz.jpg
civic-sense is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:30   #60
BHPian

I am surprised no one considered Fiat Grande Punto and Linea to add to this list. I own a Fiat Grande Punto [2012] and without a shred of embarrassment, i can say it's a flop considering the value-for-money aspect or rather lack of it. Great engine, chassis and driving dynamics but the cost of maintenance, shoddy gearbox, and lack of features is making living with it unbearable.

From all the previous posts, KUV100 seems to have earned a very bad reputation, my father-in-law owns one, when he booked KUV100, i seriously started thinking what i married into! I hate it's looks, and makes me sad thinking, Pininfarina made such an ugly thing. But after a considerable amount of time behind it's wheel, i have grown to like it. Steering on it was off, it felt dangerous at any speed. But, when you load it up with 4-5 people, then the driving manners improve a lot and even ride becomes sedan-like. Shocking, how the steering and suspension are calibrated like that. Overall power delivery is also good side. So, i would personally take KUV100 out of this list and substitute my own car in it. [sad noises].
raghu.bramha is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks