Honda Accord VTi-L 252 45.65%
Skoda Octavia RS 300 54.35%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2004, 18:45   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BTW the brochure I received from Nummer Eins (Skoda dealer) said this : FUTURE PLANS - Introduce this engine in the Rider version.

GTO
Old 2nd September 2004, 19:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

I agree with everything GTO has said about the Accord above.

But I would still buy the RS!! Different strokes for different folks!

And about the headlight adjusters, I just finished reading the OD test and I guess it may be coz of the Xenons. But, does the Accord have headlamp adjusters?? I don't remember reading about it anywhere?!?

Rt
Old 2nd September 2004, 20:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

octavia all the way, european build, performance, handsome looks.. finally a car that moves and looks awsome at it..
Old 2nd September 2004, 20:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Well,

Its the RS for me.
I agree with Rtech point for point on all the accessories and theis advantages/disadvantages or no-differences! (however i think the sunroof moonroof is awesome..!..its so much fun to own a car with one!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Pros over the Octavia
A full two sizes bigger. The Accord is just about the size of a Mercedes E Class.
Actually, thats a big negative in my opinion... the accord is roomy inside, sure.. but its just too big on the outside for my liking, but once again..this is a matter of opinion.

About the headlight adjustment thing...i was gonna point it out as well but Rtech beat me to it , but as GTO said..these are xenons.... however... isnt it a legal requirement in most places for xenons to be auto-self-leveling (not that that would be the case in india...but maybe the technology has been carried over?)

Overall, these are two great cars,
but i would undoubtedly choose the RS, its just sporty, solid, gorgeous, and seems much more suited to throwing it around the ghats...which i cant really imagine doing in an accord (IMO)....

Damn..after so long there is a car that i REALLY want from the indian scene!!!!!!

cya
R
Old 2nd September 2004, 21:25   #20
BHPian

Not to familiar with the skoda brand, but it looks very similar to VW's. The body looks like a mix of the jetta and passat models. The interior is almost exactly the same as the jetta.
Old 2nd September 2004, 21:50   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]But, does the Accord have headlamp adjusters?? I don't remember reading about it anywhere?!?
Yup. It has the headlight beam height adjustment. Also has fogs which the Skoda doesnt.

GTO
Old 3rd September 2004, 03:29   #22
BHPian

has to be the accord in this case...I just love accord and its reliability...as for the power - way things are going in delhi, I really dont think you would need more an 1 horse power to go any where in delhi..soo much traffic and such bad roads..anyhow..in anycase accord..

I never did like the octivia much ever..so no brainer for me..
Old 3rd September 2004, 03:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Aha...i just thought of one more advantage for the RS... it will have a larger advantage over the honda on ghat roads (basically high altitude performance) because of the fact that it is forced induction vs the N/A honda...

R
Old 3rd September 2004, 04:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

So the mother of all questions for me... which one?

I read the posts before this and i did find a few finding it as tough as i thought it'd be. I love the Skoda for its teutonic build and great characteristics. But honestly, for a chassis that is 8 years old, it really doesn't inspire much fun. The older gen VWs were really great chassises(plural). The newer ones are understeer kings. My own experience with the Skoda at 180 kmph on the expressway was it was quite good to drive, but at some corners the tyres just squealed and decided to go into perpetual understeer. I also have seen Skodas do lift-off(wheel) understeer (if that is the right terminology).

That brings me to the Accord. Honestly, i never was a big fan of the Accord. Until a year back. I got to drive the prev gen VTiL at Linkway. And boy was i smitten. It's big alright, but it has a fine chassis balance and is quite chuckable for its size. The new one had me completely bowled over 6 months later. A beautiful stance, with that really VWish dashboard that looks smart any time of the year and a beautiful 5 speed manual that loves to be shifted. The car might look big, but honestly doesn't feel all that big when behind the wheel.

I would have chosen the RS. The Octavia is one car i'd have chosen at rupees 12 lakhs. But at Rs. 15 lakh, it doesn't make an iota of sense to me. I would have loved to have it in my garage if it were available for the same price as an Accord with the original RS spec of 180 hp. And maybe a bit more legroom at the rear. But this is ridiculous, since its now competing with a car that is one class bigger! And the Accord will continue to move off the showroom floor more than the RS simply because of its size and chrome/flashy look that appeals to most of us Indians. Of course the Honda badge also counts here, along with terrific service standards.

The success of Skoda on the service front in the latest JD Power ratings and Honda's below industry average rating was just a blip on the screen. Its just a matter of Honda needing to up its deliveries and reduce downtime. Skoda is a good company, but it needs to re-analyze its India plans. I hope the RS is the beginning of new things to come.

Revvmaster
Old 3rd September 2004, 11:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

nulling my vote
wouldnt mind any of the two cars, both are good in their respective categories with only thing being similar is the price and power output

better yet i would pick up a second hand c180/200cdi/200k ,chip it, and put a amg kit, should cost me almost the same esp if i do that to a c 180!
Old 3rd September 2004, 12:04   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]**Accord** Also has fogs which the Skoda doesnt.
The Skoda does indeed have fog lights. They just happen to be encased in the headlight assembly itself. And trust me, these are some of the best OE fogs you will find out there.

Also, I think we all forgot a HUGE advantage for the RS...its awesome looking 16" wheels!!

Rt
Old 3rd September 2004, 12:14   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

That brings me to the Accord. Honestly, i never was a big fan of the Accord. Until a year back. I got to drive the prev gen VTiL at Linkway. And boy was i smitten. It's big alright, but it has a fine chassis balance and is quite chuckable for its size. The new one had me completely bowled over 6 months later. A beautiful stance, with that really VWish dashboard that looks smart any time of the year and a beautiful 5 speed manual that loves to be shifted. The car might look big, but honestly doesn't feel all that big when behind the wheel.
You said it!! The Accord is S-H-A-R-P in feel and handling. And that 5 speed gearbox...oh!

GTO
Old 3rd September 2004, 12:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aadix @ Sep. 03 2004,10:25)]better yet i would pick up a second hand c180/200cdi/200k ,chip it, and put a amg kit, should cost me almost the same esp if i do that to a c 180!
maintainance on the MBs are rather high i am told besides could you do all this for 15L?
Old 3rd September 2004, 13:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

City 1.3 is being traded and ill be going in for a test drive this weekend if i get time for the RS, Accord am not very impressed, good engine and gear box, handling not very sure coz couldnt get much from some high speed blast on the Bangalore Ring Road, but overall feel not very impressed with, then again am sucker for european build and handling.
Old 3rd September 2004, 14:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

let us know what u think. the dealer in mumbai called me in today but both cars were sold. Was so mad I SMSed Dippy. Somewhoere in Mumbai 2 black RSs are having a blast. BTW I hear that black is not a good colour to have in mumbai
a) too hot - black bodies absorb heat faster than white but from what i learnt in high school black bodies radiate heat faster too!
b) the black gets bleached in the indian summer (after 5-6 years)
cant stand yellow. red is too ostentatious, that leaves silver. what do i called it when i get it "silver bullet"?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks