1.Overdrive 211 23.92%
2.Autocar India 576 65.31%
3.BS Motoring 95 10.77%
Voters: 882. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2004, 23:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

BSM makes your imagination run wild which will bring a smile on your face, at least thats what I've noticed
they write what a normal person would actually feel while sitting in an exotic car
Old 25th November 2004, 23:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

however I prefer Autocar India for one reason that their test reports are not toooooo lengthy unlike Overdrive and of course their picture and page quality are much better.
Old 8th February 2005, 22:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

I prefer Autocar to Overdrive even though the Overdrive people are friends of mine. Personally I can't stand poor editing, which I feel Overdrive suffers from. I do agree, though, that their road test data is authentic and not "sourced" from another publication.
Old 9th February 2005, 13:34   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

went through what car? issue and i felt that autocar could have done a better job.
Old 9th February 2005, 14:46   #50
BHPian

BSM for me. The mag maybe short on tech specs, but it does make for good reading and very unbiased views. The lack of figures may be due to the fact that they're pretty short on budget, but nice to see a bunch of petrol heads doing what they like doing. ACI's also really good with excellent pix, nice reviews and tech specs, but IMHO the fire is lacking. And Overdrive.....wot dat??
Old 9th February 2005, 15:12   #51
BHPian

I agree that the autocar is better than OD in terms of the pics and the quality of the editing. However, i like to get asmuch data as possible about the product..and i dont mind reading stories!

I buy all mags if i happen to c any test reports of a vehicle that i like or am curious about. Sometimes i like how OD has done it and sometimes autocar...

OD isnt that bad as it is madeout to be and the price is definitely a little high for both OD and AC

I subscribe to OD anyway..

Why shudnt these guys give a CD version along with the hardcopy..atleast we can store it in some place.. 2 much 2 ask for eh!

Last edited by muni : 9th February 2005 at 15:14.
Old 9th February 2005, 15:13   #52
BHPian

Overdrive for auto-enthusiasts

Surely overdrive for me.
Their content is much better, good picture detailing and generally is a devoted magazine.
Autocar just fills pages ---with rubbish :
- they have some 10 pages of "what car ? New buters guide"
- the next 20 pages are advertisements of all sorts.
- they then have that garbage:"Motoring Getaways".
- they cover some unheard -of- rally in some indian corner.When it comes to WRC, they have just 1 side on it.
** their jan issue has exactly 1 page on Dakar 2005 !!!-
- their F1 is also a cut-and-paste of F1 Racing, UK.
- autocars posters are horrible. some unknown chevrolets etc.
The only articles worth reading are "How a car works" and their test reports.

Overdrive also rank their cars much better. Autocar on the other hand simply looks at the price. the cheapest is always "our choice".
They dont seem to consider resale value, running costs etc.

Overdrive, in my opinion is the magazine for auto engineers and tech. people. Autocar is more of a newspaper on automobiles.
Old 9th February 2005, 21:22   #53
BHPian

Autocar, and BSM...neck to neck!

overdrive can be trusted as much as bangalore times with delivering true reports...this dude i worked with....worked previously with tata infomedia and headed ad-sales for overdrive...here are reports from the inside....

auto manufacturers would actually muscle for good reviews when they booked adverts...though it is a package sold alongwith rather than separately....it exists and the proof is in the readnig....the guys who really call the shots are the sales chappies....thats why the constant references to OD being the biggest auto mag et al....but the point i'm trying to make is REVIEWS, ROAD TESTS and all such content ARE SOLD alongwith adverts.

Thought i'd add my two bit!
Old 10th February 2005, 10:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Yeap! Many times, while reading these magazine, I get a feeling as "this report is sponsored xxxx motor company". May be more so with Overdrive! Rarely find them criticizing any new vehicle. All vehicles, under consideration for test, are always very good vehicles with "only some" minor problems , and any new entrant always is supposed to be better than others available in market. I have invariably seen OD praising Bajaj products and declaring them as winners in all respect. Common, just because a vehicle clicks on sales chart, it doesn't have to be the best vehicle.
Old 21st March 2005, 11:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

ACI for me. I also find that the comparo in OD (which comes at the rear end of the magazine) is way out touch with what is happening today. Makes me really pissed off. (Sorry for the language, but I don't like to spend 60 rupees just like that. )
Old 21st March 2005, 11:31   #56
BHPian

I vote for BSM

Cheers!!!

->P

Last edited by SPEED_DEMON82 : 21st March 2005 at 11:36.
Old 21st March 2005, 13:43   #57
BHPian

Autocar for me,any time...

PF
Old 21st March 2005, 14:23   #58
BANNED

i currently have auto india contract with them since 5 years now. this is not on the list. so overdrive and autocar are good.
Old 27th March 2005, 23:30   #59
BHPian

I prefer ACI over OD for:
1)Contents
2)Overall Quality of pictures and articles.

Rahul.
Old 28th March 2005, 19:26   #60

Has to be Autocar
its the best of all
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks