Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:55   #211
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass facelift launch in early 2021

Found a new TVC on Jeep China's website. https://www.jeep.com.cn/compass/cmca...o/tim_130s.mp4

Source

Facelifted Compass TrailHawk appears for about a second towards the end of the video.
navaneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 23:06   #212
bvk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
The car looks good though from both inside and outside. I have been holding my decision and was caught between Tucson and Compass.
Yes indeed. The green color looks smashing. I was in the same dilemma till last week. Tucson drive was much smoother compared to Compass whereas the interiors of Compass felt better than Tucson. [I am not fond of all black interiors and unfortunately that is the only option in Tucson]. Finally got enticed with year end discounts on the Tiguan AllSpace and took the plunge.
bvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:47   #213
BHPian

Jeep compass facelift indeed looks good. Interiors are a big step up from current version. I am however torn between Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson. Few questions where inputs from folks who have driven both the cars will be appreciated. For this discussion, let's have the comparison between Tucson diesel top end vs Jeep Compass top end (Future limited plus variant)

1. From drivetrain perspective, Engine + gearbox of Tucson seems better than compass. although I am not sure if there are any drivetrain / gearbox tuning improvements coming up in Jeep upgrade.
2. From driving solidity perspective, Jeep and Tucson are equal? I know Jeep drives very well with solid build, however, Tucson is almost similar? I have test driven Tucson and can compare better post driving Jeep upgrade
3. Space wise Tucson is better. Both from back seat and Boot perspective
4. Interior looks wise Jeep will be better. Although on feature to feature comparison, Tucson and Jeep will still be equal (as Jeep is doing more of a catchup). There is no announcement by Jeep on ventilated seats. Only feature extra in Jeep is probably "Wireless" Car play (from my reading, not entirely sure)

From Looks and brand recall perspective, Jeep compass > Tucson. For rest of the things, Tucson > Jeep (This is at-least what I feel). Price of both top end trims will be same. But I am sure Jeep appeals to more number of hearts in general
SourPai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:16   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post
For this discussion, let's have the comparison between Tucson diesel top-end vs Jeep Compass top end (Future limited plus variant)
I had recently gone through the exact same confusion. There is a fairly recent thread that might be of help: Link (Hyundai Tucson vs Honda CR-V vs Jeep Compass vs others).

My observations:
a) The ex-showroom price of the top variant of Tucson is 2 lakhs more than the top variant of Jeep Compass ( Ignoring the TrailHawk ).
b) The Tucson is bigger than the Jeep Compass, 3 people can fit in with comfort in the rear seat.
c) Time taken by Tucson to accelerate from 0 to 100 is around 2 seconds less than the Compass.
d) Jeep Compass offers better offroad capabilities but I am not sure how much does that matters if most of the drives are highway runs.
e) The Better presence of Hyundai service network across India. Also, the way Hyundai dealerships treat the owners of their most expensive product ( in India ) is exceptional.

With most of these points in favor of Tucson, I booked a Compass. The main reason is that I own a Hyundai Elantra (2017) and it's hard to maneuver Elantra through tight spaces due to the vague and not-so-direct steering. I test drove the Tucson and the responsiveness of steering did not feel any better than my Elantra. Jeep compass felt so solid to me and I trust it more if I ever plan a slightly offroad drive.

Last edited by navaneeth : 3rd January 2021 at 13:33. Reason: Fixed minor grammatical errors.
navaneeth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:33   #215
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The problem with Jeep India is that they have a huge superiority complex, and they genuinely believe that their brand & their product are vastly superior to everyone else's. That's why the premium pricing at the start, that's why the inability to correct prices after cheaper options arrived in the market + took away their customers, that's why no alarm bells rang when the sales fell (they are a rather smug group), that's why the Diesel AT came so late = a feeling of superiority can make you complacent. Waiting to see if the facelift is well-timed or ill-timed and how the market responds to it.

They sure are flying high on their brand & product. Confidence is good, overconfidence not so.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:58   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They sure are flying high on their brand & product. Confidence is good, overconfidence not so.

Yes totally agree with you. They had just been celebrating the Compass for too long. Took them ages to launch the Trailhawk and the automatic in diesel. The Korean twins seem to have woken them up and atleast the Compass facelift is on time and I am guessing the 7 seater is also on time. : If only they can get a small SUV out quickly?

I believe Jeep knows their customers. Have been with FCA from 2012(Punto) and now the Trailhawk.

They surely do not expect a big percentage of Swift customers to cross shop the Punto and a Creta /Seltos customer to cross shop the Compass.

They also will not dilute their DNA on build quality or handling in their cars.Their suspensions are also well calibrated. The Punto suspension was so good that you would have look look north of 20 lakhs to match it. Knowing that their products have a limited market, basically consumer preferences for more gizmos and a limited dealer network,I guess they will price appropriately to make a profit.

One thing that leaves me baffled is that the other manufacturers using their engines end up tuning them better and cost about a third less? The gearboxes are the proverbial Achilles heel.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:16   #217
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Wishing all of you a fantastic 2021 ahead. I am happy to announce that I have made my decision to drive a Jeep but with the difference that I will not own it but lease it instead.

Let me explain. After I wrote on this forum the last time around, I decided to test drive a Jeep and a Tucson. Unfortunately, the Huyndai dealers never turned up as they never had the test drive car with them. The Jeep guys did turn up and I did a test drive of an automatic Limited Plus. I was asking the guy for some road to test the 4WD/off road capabilities as well but he had no suggestions to make.

Having said that, I took the car from Chandani Chowk to Pirangut MIDC - all the way to Hinjewadi and then back on the highway. The Pirangut road is under construction and an utter mess, so did not need a specific track to test the 4WD features - honestly, the some of the roads in such terrible shape that 4WD will become a basic safety feature I suspect. Overall, I was very impressed by the product, solidly built, great driving position and very comfortable. I drove as well as sat at the rear and found it to be great.

The automatic gear shift is a bit slower but given my rather sedate driving style, I don't think it matters much to be honest. I realized that quick shifts etc are probably not at all important to me, I was barely revving it aggressively.

The space at rear is good for 2.5 adults but of full size - we as a family are not very tall or big and the space is good enough for us for next 2-3 years. Besides, my parents wouldn't always be traveling with me so it will basically be me, my wife and the boys most of the time. So while the space is not that great, it is good enough for my needs for the moment.

Now comes a comparison with Tucson: On specs, it is much better but for me there were two downsides: Tucson is a tad bigger and would be a pain for me to fit into my parking (the same with Harrier) and two, the snooty Hyundai dealer never arranged for a test drive, so that was a real dampner for me.

The next and most important question was about the price I am paying for this product: A cool 30 Lakhs + if I decided to purchase it. That was too much money at stake and besides, if I were to lose my job, I would have had a depreciating asset to deal with. My second concern was that given the way we are adopting electrics, in another 3-4 years time electric cars will become quite feasible to drive across cities and all these high value cars will depreciate like crazy.

Given these risks involved, I have decided to go with the company car lease plan through ALD. With that plan,
  1. I pay nothing upfront. Lease starts when the car is delivered.
  2. It is a wet lease, i.e. covers the cost of insurance, maintenance
  3. I have opted for not getting a replacement car in case this one is under maintenance.
  4. The maintenance includes regular services as well as things like battery and tyre replacement.
  5. I have leased for 5 years and at the end of the lease, I will need to return the car or can chose to purchase it from the leasing company at prevailing market prices.
  6. In case my company retrenches me, they pay for lease breakage. In case I leave the company, I can get the lease transferred to the new company that I may join.
I will pay about 60K per month and most importantly, my entire lease rental will give me a tax benefit of about 30%. So given the risks of very high depreciation and high risk of losing a job, I have chosen to go for the lease.

The only challenges that I have seen: The road tax for corporate owned cars is 3 times that of individuals and there is virtually no discount - you basically negotiate with the leasing company. In my case, I am likely to get the 2021 model, when ever it is available.

Net - Net, I am anticipating huge depreciation in ICE cars in the coming years albeit we are not yet ready for embracing electrics at this moment. I found car leasing to be the best way to enjoy the drives as well as manage the risks!
saumitra_joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:34   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumitra_joshi View Post
Hello everyone,

I will pay about 60K per month and most importantly, my entire lease rental will give me a tax benefit of about 30%. So given the risks of very high depreciation and high risk of losing a job, I have chosen to go for the lease.

Net - Net, I am anticipating huge depreciation in ICE cars in the coming years albeit we are not yet ready for embracing electrics at this moment. I found car leasing to be the best way to enjoy the drives as well as manage the risks!
60k per month for 4 years = 28.8 lacs.
The ex-showroom price for Compass Limited Plus (as of now) is around 25 lacs. So the on-road price (in Bangalore) will be around 31 lacs.

If the tax benefit is not significant, buying makes more sense than leasing right?
navaneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:15   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Wishing all of you a fantastic 2021 ahead. I am happy to announce that I have made my decision to drive a Jeep but with the difference that I will not own it but lease it instead.

Let me explain. After I wrote on this forum the last time around, I decided to test drive a Jeep and a Tucson. Unfortunately, the Huyndai dealers never turned up as they never had the test drive car with them. The Jeep guys did turn up and I did a test drive of an automatic Limited Plus. I was asking the guy for some road to test the 4WD/off road capabilities as well but he had no suggestions to make.

Having said that, I took the car from Chandani Chowk to Pirangut MIDC - all the way to Hinjewadi and then back on the highway. The Pirangut road is under construction and an utter mess, so did not need a specific track to test the 4WD features - honestly, the some of the roads in such terrible shape that 4WD will become a basic safety feature I suspect. Overall, I was very impressed by the product, solidly built, great driving position and very comfortable. I drove as well as sat at the rear and found it to be great.

The automatic gear shift is a bit slower but given my rather sedate driving style, I don't think it matters much to be honest. I realized that quick shifts etc are probably not at all important to me, I was barely revving it aggressively.

The space at rear is good for 2.5 adults but of full size - we as a family are not very tall or big and the space is good enough for us for next 2-3 years. Besides, my parents wouldn't always be traveling with me so it will basically be me, my wife and the boys most of the time. So while the space is not that great, it is good enough for my needs for the moment.

Now comes a comparison with Tucson: On specs, it is much better but for me there were two downsides: Tucson is a tad bigger and would be a pain for me to fit into my parking (the same with Harrier) and two, the snooty Hyundai dealer never arranged for a test drive, so that was a real dampner for me.

The next and most important question was about the price I am paying for this product: A cool 30 Lakhs + if I decided to purchase it. That was too much money at stake and besides, if I were to lose my job, I would have had a depreciating asset to deal with. My second concern was that given the way we are adopting electrics, in another 3-4 years time electric cars will become quite feasible to drive across cities and all these high value cars will depreciate like crazy.

Given these risks involved, I have decided to go with the company car lease plan through ALD. With that plan,
  1. I pay nothing upfront. Lease starts when the car is delivered.
  2. It is a wet lease, i.e. covers the cost of insurance, maintenance
  3. I have opted for not getting a replacement car in case this one is under maintenance.
  4. The maintenance includes regular services as well as things like battery and tyre replacement.
  5. I have leased for 5 years and at the end of the lease, I will need to return the car or can chose to purchase it from the leasing company at prevailing market prices.
  6. In case my company retrenches me, they pay for lease breakage. In case I leave the company, I can get the lease transferred to the new company that I may join.

The only challenges that I have seen: The road tax for corporate owned cars is 3 times that of individuals and there is virtually no discount - you basically negotiate with the leasing company. In my case, I am likely to get the 2021 model, when ever it is available.

Hi Saumitra,

I was in a similar dilemma of choosing between a company lease or a outright purchase till about a month ago. Although the lease terms vary from company to company, i found one offered by orix to be very costly over the lifecycle of the car. With interest rates hovering around 7.1-7.5% including some banks offering fixed rates in this range, it merits to do a cashflow comparison of both the lease and an outright purchase. In my case the lease was not making sense even after factoring in the tax benefits.

Also when it comes to discounts, i negotiated my bit on the discounts and only then did i bring in orix into the picture for the paperwork that too with the understanding that i’ll get the insurance done on my own so you might want to check out that aspect once again.

But all said and done, you have chosen a beautiful car and I wish you many many smiles per miles.
indrokneel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:30   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found car leasing to be the best way to enjoy the drives as well as manage the risks!
Happy New Year!

Apologies, but please help me with the calculations here.

You will end up paying 60k per month for 5 years. Given your 30% tax benefit, net outflow would be approx. 42k per month?

Although you have not mentioned the variant, I am assuming the ex-showroom price will be INR 25 Lakhs. Hypothetically, if you had taken a 100% loan of 25L for 5 years, it would cost you 52k approx. per month. This is without any down payment - same as your lease.

A. So net you are saving 10k per month for a period of 60 months = INR 6L which after compounding @ 5% will be approx. INR 6.8L

B. Maintenance and tires would be another = 50k + 50k = 1L. Again, compounded, it will probably be INR 1.10L - assuming tires will be changed near the 4 or 5 year mark so not much interest saving there.

Total Savings= INR 6.8L + 1.15L = INR 7.9L

Net savings = INR 7.9L after 5 years.

All this, but you are left without a car after 5 years.

Essentially, if you are 'buying', the resale value should be more than INR 7.9L and if you are leasing, the residual value to purchase the car back should be less than 7.9L.

Not sure if the deal makes sense assuming a 28L Jeep (on road) will be worth more after 5 years.

Please let me know if I am missing anything here.

P.S: The calculations are estimates only. For the 30% tax benefit, please note that you will be paying 60K and not 42K. So the differential 18K which you will save as tax benefit will come after a long time - when you file your tax? So, effectively, you are losing some interest on 18K per month well.

Last edited by Pancham : 3rd January 2021 at 20:43.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:16   #221
Team-BHP Support

I have never been able to swallow the Compass’ pricing in India.

Size wise, it is a smidgeon smaller than the Creta. Top of line Diesel AT Creta retails at 20 - 21 lakh while the Compass Diesel AT retails at 30 lakh - a whopping 50% more.

Even factoring their 4x4 capabilities that is simply not a price delta I can accept if I were ever in the market. If I must spend 30 lakh territory I can go a little higher and get a much more premium VW Tiguan.

The new XUV 5OO would have 4x4 capability, will be a FULL size bigger and yet (I assume) be a good 5 odd lakh cheaper at least.

I simply cannot accept it on the pure value equation. It’s not like I am averse to paying top dollar for quality and reliability. But to me, Jeep as a brand does not inspire that confidence either - of being a reliable high quality product.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd January 2021 at 21:35.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 23:32   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I have never been able to swallow the Compass’ pricing in India.

Size wise, it is a smidgeon smaller than the Creta. Top of line Diesel AT Creta retails at 20 - 21 lakh while the Compass Diesel AT retails at 30 lakh - a whopping 50% more.

Even factoring their 4x4 capabilities that is simply not a price delta I can accept if I were ever in the market. If I must spend 30 lakh territory I can go a little higher and get a much more premium VW Tiguan.

The new XUV 5OO would have 4x4 capability, will be a FULL size bigger and yet (I assume) be a good 5 odd lakh cheaper at least.

I simply cannot accept it on the pure value equation. It’s not like I am averse to paying top dollar for quality and reliability. But to me, Jeep as a brand does not inspire that confidence either - of being a reliable high quality product.

I think comparing Creta and XUV500 with Jeep is not appropriate.
In a nut shell, Creta is just higher sitting sedan, which looks like SUV. It is a good reputed brand though. I did not wanna list down why it is not a SUV at all.

As far as XUV is concerned, comparing a legendary company like Jeep with a company which has some experience in making low cost tractors is bit ambitious. Even if you leave heritage factor, XUV quality and finish is just not to the level of Compass’s, IMO
Iceman33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 00:00   #223
Senior - BHPian

Few pointers:

I was comparing lease vs. loan. Outright purchase is a completely different calculation. Nevertheless, here are a few pointers:

1. In your lease calculation ~ INR 28L of total spend please also add the amount you will need to purchase the car back OR in the second calculation where you are purchasing it outright subtract the resale value. Then we will have a fair comparison. Right now you are paying a whopping 28L only for using the car. You will be left with NO CAR after 5 years after paying 28L. That is more than the ex-showroom price of the car. Whereas, after paying >37L (this number needs to be recalculated as well), you will have a Jeep Compass at the end of the term driven and maintained be you.

2. The insurance will not be 1L per year. New car/first year insurance is 50K and then it only reduces so please take that into considerations

3. You can take the fuel costs out of this calculation as you are getting tax benefit on both.

Your post was hard to read so apologies if I missed anything. Please do look at the calculations in my post as well. Request you to redo your calculations considering the above factors. In my view, both outright and loan wins the race here. Happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th January 2021 at 07:32. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 06:56   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman33 View Post
I think comparing Creta and XUV500 with Jeep is not appropriate.

As far as XUV is concerned, comparing a legendary company like Jeep with a company which has some experience in making low cost tractors is bit ambitious. Even if you leave heritage factor, XUV quality and finish is just not to the level of Compass’s, IMO
You are right that they are not exact comparisons. If the Compass was a full size bigger though, I would have found the price tag easier to accept and the mind would wander less to alternatives. Right now in my opinion it is sub - optimal in the boot space, rear passenger space and overall rear cargo space compared to what I would want if I was parting with 30 big ones. And its that size to price ratio combined with the fact that its not exactly the epitome of reliable (even globally) that every time I would think of a Compass, the mind would by default start considering compelling alternatives above and below, which either save you a LOT of money or give you a LOT more for a little more money, whether it is the Tiguan, Tucson, Harrier, 2021 XUV (I am making some quality presumptions here), 2020 Harrier etc.

At its current size, I would say the diesel AT should ideally retail at about 25 lakh on road tops. IMO it is a whopping 5 lakh overpriced. Of course it is a well engineered product and I can understand why it would draw many to it.

I think calling Mahindra in this present day avatar a tractor manufacturer is not a true representation of the products they are bringing but that is an entirely different discussion. Fact is I would happily consider short listing a modern Tata / Mahindra along with other brands like Hyundai / Jeep if I was in the market. Mahindra isn’t new to 4x4 Jeeps either in their own right.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 07:44   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman33 View Post
As far as XUV is concerned, comparing a legendary company like Jeep with a company which has some experience in making low cost tractors is bit ambitious.
Umm, such a legendary company that they had to launch a TV campaign in Australia to apologize to buyers for poor quality/ reliability and bad service?

https://campaignbrief.com/jeep-austr...mminspartners/

Here is John Cadogan (basically the best Aussie reviewer) on Jeep:

Mahindra may be a glorified tractor maker, but they are going in the right direction.
andafunda is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks