Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 64 10.03%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.74%
Postponing your decision 365 57.21%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 638. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 08:53   #151
BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

When livelihoods are at stake across unorganised business and corporate sectors. I guess, nobody would have guts to go ahead for new car purchase in the current scenario. This has caused extended pain for the auto sector.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th May 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Grammar.
navrddy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2020, 13:03   #152
BHPian

Slightly Off topic!

I am in different dilemma all together. I booked a new car on 11th May 2020. Now as informed by my sales advisor, Delhi RTO's are not accepting new vehicle registration at the moment as there's lots of confusion and miscommunication between babus and mantris. Is similar situation being faced by any other T-BHP Member or my sales advisor is taking me for a ride?
Old 31st May 2020, 08:08   #153
BHPian

Wanted to replace a 8 year old mid sized SUV and a 9 year old premium German sedan for a super premium SUV towards the end of this year. Business was looking good during January - February and plans seemed to be on track

The coronavirus has derailed everything as my Hospitality biz is closed and there seems to be no chance of it reopening for the foreseeable future.

My other biz, open since May is currently operating at 25 - 30% of normal levels. So the idea is now to just make payroll and necessary expenditures. All non essential expenditures have been curtailed.

Even if things pick up, the idea is to first recoup savings to pre-lockdown levels before starting any discretionary spending.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2020 at 09:59. Reason: Chinese virus > coronavirus
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:40   #154
BHPian

We had plans to replace our 2011 Linea with a small hatchback. The car is with my parents and sees a very less road time. The odo stands below 40k kms (maybe much lesser as it was my father's secondary car before retirement and very less travel after retirement). Due to the size of the car and headache of spares in future, it was decided to be sold off and get a small hatchback.
With the current situation, investing too much (new hatchback money) would not be wise and hence we may opt for a pre-worshipped hatch (swift, i20, etc.) or a lower end model of a new hatch for lesser money.
So voting for option no 2.

Last edited by Prakritij : 3rd June 2020 at 12:42.
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:15   #155
AZT
BHPian

Atleast one person bought a car because of Corona

Lockdown: Unable to manage train tickets, man buys car to go home
Quote:
Lallan failed to get reservation in train and found bus travel to be unsafe due to the spread of coronavirus
He then bought a used car for ₹1.5 lakh to go home
Quote:
GORAKHPUR : Lallan, a painter in the NCR city Ghaziabad, waited near a railway station for three days for his turn to get on to a Shramik special. On the fourth day, he went to the bank, withdrew all his savings of ₹1.9 lakh and headed straight to a second hand car seller.

He bought a used car for ₹1.5 lakh, and travelled back to his home in Gorakhpur along with his family, vowing never to return.

A resident of Kaitholia village in PP Ganj in Gorakhpur, Lallan said, "After the lockdown, I stayed on hoping that things would soon return to normal. When the lockdown kept getting extended, I thought it would be safer for me and my family to return to our village. However, we made several attempts to get seats on buses or trains but failed."
Lallan said that the buses, in any case, were overcrowded and he feared that his family may get infected with the corona virus if they traveled without maintaining social distancing.
"Finally, when I failed to get seats in the Shramik trains, I decided to buy a car and travel home. I know I have spent all my savings but at least my family is safe," he said.
Read More: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...160497840.html
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:22   #156
BHPian

Voted for 'Other'. I think multitude of options will play a role in buying a car. Being a long-term owner of all cars I have bought till date, I am looking at 10 - 12 year ownership cycle. Keeping that in mind, if there is a good car that comes at a cost, I would stretch and make the buy decision. If not, I will continue to use the existing cars with cosmetic mods as required
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:39   #157
BHPian

Voted for "Postponing your decision".

Original plan was to buy a D-segment sedan later this year/start of next year (was going to evaluate the new Octavia before making the buy decision). With the current uncertainties (Notional losses in investments, uncertain times ahead with economic downturn, and no timeline on the vaccine for Covid), have pushed out the decision by 6 months to an year. I live in Mumbai and currently don't have a car, but having a job where I work from home a lot provides me with an option to delay the buy decision (instead of going for a smaller car or used car).
Old 24th August 2020, 13:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
After the lockdown ends, I am increasing my budget and hopefully there would be some great deals with pre-owned Germans.
Quoting my own post. Went ahead with the decision and bought a pre-owned BMW X3. Many thanks to asit.kulkarni93 for helping with the purchase decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?-img_20200821_202602.jpg  

adi.mariner is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:58   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
In the same situation , already had plans to replace our 2011 i20 with a C-SUV and we had even checked out Duster, Seltos, Venue and Nexon.

We have been talking to a Tata Dealer for Nexon XZ+(O) and thinking of going ahead once the lockdown is over. I am salaried and don’t see any major changes happening to our lifestyle due to this pandemic.
So we went ahead with the purchase and got Venue SX(O) home, had a small fender bender as well.

Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?-0e090b55c6b54a9f92a51fa7a519aa1e.jpeg

That’s not all, thanks to the lockdown we managed to save quite a bit of money which we would have spent traveling and got a pre owned Mini Cooper S home in Berlin.

Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?-8a048846cb4240da84b2c096f6146c21.jpeg

People must be thinking am a stupid fellow to get not just one but two cars in quarantine.
turbowhistle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 09:41   #160
BHPian

I just sold off my ageing Vento Diesel AT which had just completed 5 years on 24th August and clocked 1.13 Lacs km. Was initially looking for a used X1 but have now put the plan on hold without feeling the extreme need for a ride immediately. 2020 isn’t anyway seems a good year to invest money in cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks