Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 64 10.03%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.74%
Postponing your decision 365 57.21%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 638. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2020, 14:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

I had a plan to sell the EcoSport and upgrade to a sub 20 lac CSUV. The current situation makes me think if the sales drop, dealers would be willing to offer BIG discounts so might grab one if that happens.
Old 10th May 2020, 14:17   #32
BHPian

Voted for "Cancelling the plan". My 2013 i10 has packed in a good 7 years and has reached the point where spares require some changing. Was pretty much hyped up between Marazzo P (whenever it comes), Nexon and upcoming i20. But considering the situation now, it seems futile pumping in money for a deprecating asset where you will pay lacs to the Govt in GST, Excise (fuel), Road tax and stuff. I would rather now spend approx 25-30k on my i10 and give it another 7 years, since its only got 47k odd kms on the odo.

Was also planning to sell my 2018 Activa 5G, also had a buyer. Wanted to trade it in for a Dominar 400. Now I would rather stick with it for some time till the future is clear. Being a SBIan, we have been relatively untouched in terms of salary cuts, but having some liquid cash on hand will be more helpful in the coming future. By the time my i10 starts showing age, maybe EV tech would've become prevalent and I would trade my ICE for an EV without a second thought
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 15:13   #33
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 'Postponing my decision' due to the uncertain times ahead.

We presently own a 2013 Maruti Dzire & 2014 Honda Amaze. Both diesels with both having run over 1 lakh kms. We were actually on the lookout for a new car end of last year but decided to postpone the purchase as nothing was inherently wrong with our present cars. But I guess eventually we will have a new car in our garage by end of the year unless things go terribly wrong!
Old 10th May 2020, 15:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Was planning to dump my GT TSi and get a Sports Sedan (C43 AMG, Audi S5, BMW M2 or something similar) but now plans are off. It's better to save money for a rainy day with the way the situation is currently. There is no need for flashy extravagance.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 16:08   #35
BHPian

Voted for Going ahead with the original plan, we sold the Micra and was in plan to purchase Polo GT. Post pandemic now we are in dire need of car for my wife as we are scared to take Uber.
Old 10th May 2020, 16:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted for postponed even though I have been planning to keep running between Kia/Hyundai dealerships to make up my mind on Seltos/Creta.

Will still wait for the December offers now that I know all top manufacturers are staring at booking cancellations for top selling cars. Chances are, by December you'll get good discounts when their inventory goes unsold.
Old 10th May 2020, 16:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I was planning on a new D2 or lux car later this year. Plans postponed by 6-12 months. I think cars and similar big purchases are best deferred at a time when the world economy is heading into what many believe will be the worst depression in nearly a century. Though India may fare slightly better than many other countries with marginal or almost flat growth, I'm more than a bit wary and willing to wait to see how things turn out.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 16:29   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Not me but a close friend has found himself in a sticky situation due to this lock-down. He had bought a soccer-mom SUV weeks before lock-down and it has been parked in the basement since then and he has not been able to drive it anywhere substantial, except in heavy Bangalore traffic few days before lock-down.

So, he just keeps looking at it in the basement and using a Jopasu every other day! And to rub salt into the wounds, his dad keeps reminding him of the EMI payments it is eating up even while standing still!

He shared with us that he would have delayed the decision, if he knew about lock-down, and not bought this soccer-mom SUV but would have bought a different one instead.

Really sad situation for an enthusiast -- it's like getting married to the girl you love but can't go on a honeymoon!
khan_sultan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 17:25   #39
BHPian

Voted for 'Postponed';
We've indefinitely postponed our decision and will evaluate basis how things playout in future.

Pre-Covid, my we'd below situation at with respect to managing mobility:
1. My wife depended on Cabs/Auto/Car pool for commute/errands
2. Our baby girl was turning 2 years this June and we'd planned to put start her Play-School
3. Form my commute, I've a 2012 Fiat Linea and Suzuki Access which I mix-and-use depending upon weather and mood

With a budget of 15L-18L, we'd planned to get a C-SUV by Jun'20 under wife's company lease and hire a driver. That would've solved my wife's commute and she'll have flexibility with a driver in place and for errands or and play school pickup/drops.

Now, with Covid-19, we've paused the car buying decision. Our respective companies are letting us Work From Home for an extended time, and we'll not rush into Day-Care for our baby yet.

Yes, as and when wife's commute and baby's play school topic reopens, we'll revisit this decision. For now, I've been saying my wife to use our 8 year old Fiat Linea with driver, while I use my Suzuki Access scooter, but she's worried about safety on 2 wheeler.

Last edited by daretodream : 10th May 2020 at 17:32.
Old 10th May 2020, 17:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Not me but a close friend has found himself in a sticky situation due to this lock-down. He had bought a soccer-mom SUV weeks before lock-down and it has been parked in the basement since then and he has not been able to drive it anywhere substantial, except in heavy Bangalore traffic few days before lock-down.
What is a 'soccer mom SUV'?
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 18:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Definitely the current situation has postponed our plans of changing our 8 year old Brio this year. Uncertainty in the economy, with no real end timeline in sight, has ensured that no big ticket expenditure items are planned for the near future. In a way it's good, since the Brio is really low mileage, hardly having done 34000 odd kilometers. Can be easily used with minimal maintenance for another few years as the city runabout.
Old 10th May 2020, 18:22   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Considering that the post is from Khan_Sultan, one of Team-BHP's oldest members, and a very hardcore off-roader in his prime, and the owner of one of the first gypsies in the county to have a SPOA conversion, for him any suv is a soccer mom SUV.

I think he means an suv without 4x4. A crossover, what we off-road purists call it, when we're in the mood to be dignified. (we call them lifted hatchbacks when we're alone)
turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 18:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
With no disrespect to moms (especially on Mothers Day), the quintessential "soccer mom SUV" is basically a poser.

1. Construction: Is a unibody, not a proper body on frame.
2. Suspension: Does not have solid axle at rear. Front solid axle is something even true blue OEMs are walking away from slowly.
3. Powertrain: Has a East-West powertrain configuration. Most body on frame SUVs have North-South powertrain configuration.
4. Driveline: Does not have locking differentials - even at center and rear. Some fake the central diff through fancy electronics.

If you look at Mahindra & Mahindra, you could put Thar as a proper off-roader and the XUV 500 in the other category that you asked about - again, no disrespect to any past/current/prospective owners of these vehicles.
jfk1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 19:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I am better off than most - so far, have been able to continue my work fairly seamlessly amidst lockdowns. Our firm has not announced any salary cuts yet. But I am in my late 40s, a sizeable part of my total comp comes as a bonus, which could fall substantially or disappear for 2020, and if the lockdown continues to kill my clients’ businesses, revenue for our firm can disappear, which would make my own job uncertain. And of course, the fall in equity markets, plus the crisis affecting debt funds have impacted my net worth substantially. And the fall in the INR makes what I need to save to send my son to college abroad (several years from now, fortunately) that much larger.

Our 7+ year old Vento has done almost 73,000 km and was due for replacement this year. But given all of the above, I suspect we will keep it at least till the end of this year - until I learn whether and what I get paid. The positive is that with the lockdowns, we are not running the car (driver left for his village even before the Janta Curfew) except enough to keep it functional - and so hopefully, there is no need to replace it right away. All I can say is that I am glad this did not happen when I was younger - with a home loan to be repaid.

Take care all - even if you are very well off, please recognise that we are in uncharted waters here (and I say this as someone who has seen the Asian / Russian crisis, the Dot Com bust, 9/11, the Global Financial Crisis, and 2011-13 India stagflation phase) - so whether you are salaried or running a business, conserve cash, stay liquid and stay safe.
Hayek is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 20:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

We were lucky to buy a new car in January, though original plan was to make a purchase in March (during Navratri time). If we didn't make a purchase in Jan, then we would have kept our City further for atleast 2-3 years and postponed the purchase considering current situation.

My other car is nearly 2.5 years old. Since we keep our cars for atleast 10 years, no new cars planned for next 8-9 years!

PS - This situation has given one more strong reason to keep your cars for long and conserve cash!

Last edited by bluevolt : 10th May 2020 at 21:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks