Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 64 10.03%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.74%
Postponing your decision 365 57.21%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 638. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2020, 09:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Never had any plans to buy a car this year or the next since we swapped a Rapid and a Brio for a Creta and a i20 in 2018, however I think for sure I will hold on to both these cars for longer than usual. My pattern has always been holding on to a new car for around 4.5-6 years, but with salary cuts for this year and no increments, it looks likely that there would be no change to either of the cars until 2024-25.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 09:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

I was planning to drop down a segment till March end. But seeing the ongoing situation and uncertainty over when business sentiment will improve, have deferred my car buying plans to at least the next quarter.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 10:33   #18
BHPian

Initially the plan was to wait till festival season last year and then upgrade. I had sold my XUV and needed a proper replacement. I did not go ahead with it because of the BS6 models coming this year. I assumed that manufacturers will definitely introduce a lot of new options this year after April. So, I waited it out. Now, I am glad I did. Would have had to keep a new car in the parking lot during lockdown. As of now, everything is uncertain. I have cancelled the plan and will need to give atleast a year more before I reconsider.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would have been in the situation to decide on car had I not jumped the gun and bought a used car. I was planning the Harrier AT, thankfully, I did not wait. In Jan this year I got a 2013 Corolla Altis VL-AT at less than 1/4th the price of the new Harrier AT.

However, my biggest worry is something else. Towards end of February I found a buyer for my flat and I have agreed on a bigger house in the same complex. Nothing besides token monies have been exchanged in both case. I work in IT, so far my company has not announced any payroll related rollbacks. I am not sure if I should go ahead with the deals.
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 11:15   #20
BHPian

I had booked the Karoq in March, but have now canceled the booking for the moment as the future looks so uncertain. If things improve in 6 months or so, will revisit my decision. Feeling bad about canceling the booking though as my heart was set on the purchase, but the head has ruled.
troika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 11:17   #21
BHPian

In my case, pretty happy with the cars I have. Point of discussion is a big bike. Going ahead with the hunt and should bring it home in next few weeks.

I know it might look like an irrational decision to spend at this time. But, having waited, worked for it for so long and more importantly getting the nod from wife late last year, im in no mood to postpone.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 11:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted to postpone but only by a few months. Wish the postponement option had a choice of a few months or for at least one year. That would have picked up a better response I feel :-)
Old 10th May 2020, 11:41   #23
BHPian

I only have a scooter. So I was planning to buy a car this year. My plan is still on but it's pushed back by a few months. Maybe the festival season. If finances are comfortable, then Altroz etc, if not, Tiago. I stay in the outskirts of Chennai and it's really not safe to travel in my area after dark on a 2 wheeler.
professor.march is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 11:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks ago, I was uncertain. Now I know my job is not under threat for the foreseeable future. My original plan was to buy a car this year. Most probably I think I will stick with the original plan.

Anyways I will be buying a used car and have a feeling there could be some good deals available once the system gets limping back to normal.
Old 10th May 2020, 11:48   #25
BHPian

Wanted to go for a petrol sedan (rather, a car with a proper boot), but had postponed the decision to post BS6 purchase. Now, with the uncertainity around, I think it makes sense to plonk 10+ lakhs into something more practical & meaningful instead of splurging on a new car. The existing car can easily continue for another 5 years, considering my low usage (35K in last 6 years), without any hitches IMO.

As of now, my thinking is that investing on land makes sense instead of a car. I am looking for buying some 2-5 acres of usable agricultural land in coming months/near term for future proofing ourselves.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I've voted for postponing my decision for a new car as a replacement for our Wagon R. Our Wagon R is 8+ years with 50K on the odometer. Since it's been driven entirely in city for last nearly 4 years, the start-stop cycle is short to very short. Hence there are more wear and tear on some parts. The average has gone down to single digits and with summers, it'll hover around 7 with AC. The AC was serviced just before lockdown. There are some parts that need replacement. The car is due for a workshop visit tomorrow. Let's see how things pan out. We were looking at the Ignis or Wagon R or S-Presso. We may delay it further but go for a better car as per our requirements at that time.

Due to the current situation plus uncertainties, the plan to replace it has been postponed by atleast 6 months to 1 year or more. I hope the car will stay put together for atleast 1 year as the running has considerably gone down. Brezza stays the way it is.

My sister in law was also planning to replace her 9 year old Honda City but now that plan is also postponed by atleast 1 year. Reasons are similar to what I've mentioned.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th May 2020 at 12:51.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 12:50   #27
Team-BHP Support

I was looking to upgrade my daily drive mainly for shifting to an automatic prior to the lockdown and had been keep an eye out for deals on BS4 stock. I must mention there is a good chance I would have not considered the upgrade if the current car was an automatic transmission even prior to the lockdown.

Right now the plan is to hold the swap for a few months and mostly buy from the same / lower segment, or look at used cars from a segment higher (not very keen since it will warrant relatively higher personal visits) once the situation stabilizes.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 13:02   #28
BHPian

I was in the market for a replacement for my Honda City. I had been looking at Compact -Urban SUVs , when the search was curtailed by the lockdown announcement.
I think that post lockdown , car companies are really going to go all out to push sales and I'm going to actively look around / bargain for a sweet deal.
So , yes, if I get a good deal, I'm planning to buy my car in the 1-2 months immediately after the lockdown.
Btw, as a rough guide, what would be defined as a good deal . For example, a 10% discount over the pre-lockdown on road price ? Or More ? Looking for inputs / opinions from bhpians.
Old 10th May 2020, 13:46   #29
BHPian

I sold my 6 year old Polo in Oct 19 to purchase another car. Initially planned the MG Hector, then cancelled. Then moved to various options Civic, Tucson, Harrier AT, finally booked the Creta.

My budget was about 20 lacs which I was ready to stretch by about 2-3 lacs.

However given that I work in the financial services sector, which will be highly impacted by this scenario, I am going to cancel the booking.

Now here is the options I am considering given that once office starts I will need a car as using public transport will be out of question.

1. Buy a new car from the lower segment (Nexon/Venue etc)
2. Buy a used car up to 5 lacs with a brand that has least depreciation and sell off the car in 18-24 months and then buy a new car
3. Use a rented car from Mychoize, Zoomcar etc for 5-6 months and then take stock of the situation.

What do you guys suggest is the best option?
rkv_hunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 14:01   #30
BANNED

No new purchases in the pipeline for now.

Sold the Activa 125 (13K kms done) as it was not being used and lying idle. The Alto K10 AMT (37K kms done) shall be sold in June mostly.

Only two cars shall remain constituting the garage for now.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks