Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Octavia today?
Yes 512 72.21%
No 197 27.79%
Voters: 709. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 23:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a used 2016 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby0707 View Post
Off topic, depends on what you want. CVT is really bad if you are quick on the a pedal. If it’s just about cruising at a constant speed and not overtaking trucks and buses as you wish, CVT is a great choice. I tried the CVT twice and as as an owner used to driving scross 1.6 , octavia tdi and the tucson diesel, i cannot absolutely drive a city cvt. It just increases my BP levels
Problem is, you don't get the 'best' out of a CVT by flooring it, it delivers best if you caress the gas pedal and are gentle with the accelerator inputs. It's not like you snuck it into 3rd and floor it as do with a manual. You're totally mistaken. You think I was left behind by trucks and buses, I was doing triple digits constantly. City CVT is the best CVT around and may be the you should take another drive to reacquaint yourself.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th July 2022 at 23:15.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 23:24   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Problem is, you don't get the 'best' out of a CVT by flooring it, it delivers best if you caress the gas pedal and are gentle with the accelerator inputs. It's not like you snuck it into 3rd and floor it as do with a manual. You're totally mistaken. You think I was left behind by trucks and buses, I was doing triple digits constantly. City CVT is the best CVT around and may be the you should take another drive to reacquaint yourself.
Yes that’s how you drive a CVT, i know that. But is that how you would drive when you want the max out of your engine. No right! So basically you cannot extract the best performance out of your engine if it’s a CVT because you have to drive it gently. That’s exactly my point. Its for sedate driving.
And no i never said you were left behind by anyone. I said that you cannot overtake traffic as you wish. You need to plan it. But you would have been definitely left behind by some one driving the same honda city with a manual transmission or a if , I repeat if he wanted to! So for the same engine car combo, a manual or a DCT or a TC gearbox will offer much better response in quick response situations. I’m someone who drives from punjab to kerala and i can say that over a long stretch of 4 lane highway filled with trucks running parallel to each other, having a quick responding gearbox helps a lot if making quick overtakes.
By the way, for doing constant speeds on the highways, gearbox doesn’t really matter does it? It matters when you have to drop down one and accelerate.
Also, the OP here is not trying to get the best out of a cvt, he’s trying to get whole car suited for his driving style! If the cvt style suits him like it does for you, then the honda city makes more sense than an octavia. It’s like saying that to get the best out a budget gaming laptop, i have to play at 1080p. But one day, if i want to play at 4k resolution, I cant right? On the other hand a flagship laptop can always play at 4k and one day you feel like playing at 1080p for better framerate, you can do that too

Last edited by robby0707 : 13th July 2022 at 23:40.
robby0707 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 01:30   #123
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

For the OP, a used Honda City CVT, Verna or Elantra CRDI Auto would be a more reasonable choice. May not have the kick kind of acceleration but both have powerful engines, reliable gear boxes, adequate space and boot space. So fulfills most of your requirements.

For the debate on DSG vs CVT, depends on what you want. If you want the sheer pull from standstill and acceleration nothing will beat the TDI and DSG combo. But the Honda CVT is also no slouch - It is butter smooth, a boon in City traffic and gives a more smoother, relaxed ride.

By any chance if you have a driver, then it is better if your car is more comfortable and sedate. No point getting a kick in your pants feeling at every signal, while sitting in the backseat. Since every driver believes he was born for F1 racing !!!

This is where Altis, City and Ciaz shine. They provide the most comfortable Sofa on wheels with a stable but linear accelerating gear box in hands of the driver.

Last edited by ashishpotdar : 14th July 2022 at 01:32.
ashishpotdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 01:52   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishpotdar View Post
For the OP, a used Honda City CVT, Verna or Elantra CRDI Auto would be a more reasonable choice. May not have the kick kind of acceleration but both have powerful engines, reliable gear boxes, adequate space and boot space. So fulfills most of your requirements.
OP fount the ertiga diesel to be inadequate on highways. So no way he’s going to be happy with the city CVT. The Elantra CRDI seems to be the best option for the him based on his needs. He’ll definitely be able to find lesser run and newer model in the used car market than this octavia. There are 2016-2017 Elantras going on olx for similar price!
Old 14th July 2022, 02:10   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
Hello fellow forum members. I am happy to be a part of this awesome auto community and look at you for advice.
My question to this community are:
1. Is it worth buying this car if I can get it down to 8 Lakhs?
2. Will this car be reliable for next five years? I mean no breakdowns on the road.
3. I have assumed 50k per year for repairs and Insurance. Will that be enough?
I purchased a skoda laura 2010 model 2.0 TDI MT in 2018 which had a odo of 1,40,000 kms. I bought that car without doing a proper research about maintenance cost. I was impressed with the power and thought if the service is done periodically things would go well. But then learnt the maintenance of the used skoda car in a hard way.

Basically I have driven just around 40k kms in last 4.5 years and have spent almost 5L in servicing the vehicle. Except for one service for EGR kit all others are done outside Skoda service center. The cost of repairing in skoda service center is much higher. The major parts I have replaced in last 4 years are EGR kit, clutch, timing kit, drive shaft, all shocks, brakes & rotors (2 times), Tires, Common rail, all injectors, float fuel pump. SA informed me that the high pressure pump needs to be changed and some work has to be done in engine bed gasket as well in next few thousand kms.

I am not sure if I got a really bad vehicle or these issues are tend to happen as the vehicle age and clock more odo. But whenever a spare goes off the cost is really high. Apart from the cost factor I felt like the car is visiting the service center very frequently. That adds up a lot of mental pressure when you are on a packed schedule. Also I had to face brake downs two times, fortunately I got some mechanic nearby both the times. One was due to the steering ball joint failure and another was the fuel float pump failure.

Though I was doing the periodic service once in six months my car surprised me with new issues while on the road. Yes, laura gives me a very good drive experience without any doubt. But after facing so much issues I had lost the confidence to take the vehicle for a good long drive.

So if you plan to buy that Octavia, considering its mileage I'll suggest you to plan 1L per year for service. Though it's well maintained some parts are tend to go off after 1L kms. Sometimes the estimate in skoda service center itself will come upto 4 - 5 lakhs. If you get a car which has odo less than 80000kms the service cost and tension will be comparatively less. If you have a good service center near your home and okay with unexpected expenses, I would recommend to go for Octavia. If you plan so change whatever spares needs to be changed immediately after buying the vehicle so that it doesn't come up with unexpected problem. Hope it helps

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th July 2022 at 05:42. Reason: For ease of reading, please avoid causing the whole post.
mvishnu06 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
My question to this community are:
1. Is it worth buying this car if I can get it down to 8 Lakhs?
2. Will this car be reliable for next five years? I mean no breakdowns on the road.
For someone who is smitten by the Octavia, the Ertiga simply won't do.

So the real choice is between

an under 50k Octavia at around 18 lakhs vs
an over 1.2 lakh run one at around 8 lakhs. Financially, even if the higher mileage one costs 1 lakh a year in maintenance, it's still way cheaper. But the challenge is that you don't know when parts will fail. That could be on long drives. And frequently having to change parts when they fail rather than at the service intervals will mar the experience.

So I'd recommend you look for a well maintained example that's done around 80k and has had the major changes done. You should get one at around 12 lakhs. That'll both you a relatively reliable vehicle at a good price.

Your running is low. So use it for 5 years untill the EV market matures.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 04:10   #127

Truthfully, if serviced regularly and diligently, Skoda's are reasonably reliable, an exception to DSG.

Unfortunately, our Indian roads are harsh, and suspension, mounts and other parts may need attention; overall, the car should be good to go. Price considerations may depend on the vehicle and relevant details.

I moved to the UK last year and bought a 1.8T A4 with over 1.7L Kms, and the car was absolutely amazing, pulled like a train. I recently bought a Volvo with around 2.7L km, and the car is still solid.

If the car has all the service records and has been looked after carefully, I would definitely consider it, if reasonably priced.
Old 18th July 2022, 10:55   #128
BHPian

Voted a big, resounding "YES"

In fact if you see the Virtus review thread, this was precisely I was talking about, would take a good, pre-owned Octavia over a new Virtus but I very rarely see any recent Octavias in the pre-owned marker. A few 2015-16 models maybe but absolutely nothing post 2018.

A vRS would off course be perfect but I doubt the owners would consider selling anytime soon.
Old 27th July 2022, 09:27   #129
BHPian

Own a 2019 Octavia TDI L&K. Octavia is the best D-Segment Sedan to enter the Indian market along with the VW Jetta, as the Germans always felt a class above it’s competitors, and made sure they stood out. And amongst the powertrains in the Octavia lineup, my pick would be undoubtedly the 2.0 TDI, as it’s a very powerful engine, frugal and reliable, in short it’s an all rounder. And always prefer that beautiful 6 speed DQ250 gearbox, which is smooth and lightning fast at shifting but also is much reliable compared to the DQ200 at the same time. I always prefer the torque and ‘pushed back in the seat’ feel of the 2.0 TDI than the sweet revving nature of the 1.8 TSI, not denying the latter is an engineering marvel but wouldn’t be my pick over the 2.0 TDI. There’s a lot of torque on offer on this diesel gem and would never get you bored, and the surge of torque and quick bursts of acceleration would keep the enthusiast in you happy. 0-100 kmph sprint was achieved in about 8.5 seconds (if done with launch control) and it returns about 12-14 kmpl in the city and 19-22 kmpl on the highway with ease.

Now the car is running on a stage 1 ECU Remap, and puts out a respectable 180 hp/ 400 nm and the car is even more a blast to drive now, beating the likes of entry level Germans like the 320d, c220d, a4 40 TDI and so on.
dieselhead01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 18:17   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post

an under 50k Octavia at around 18 lakhs
So you're saying I was pretty lucky, then, to grab a pre-used Octavia 2.0 TDI MT registered in Dec 2019 (so literally about 2.5 years old), with 26,800km on the odo, extended warranty until Dec 2025? On top of that the car apparently belonged to the MD of the Chennai dealership himself, if I am to believe them (it was certainly registered under the dealership's name). And came in a gorgeous quartz grey colour. Paid all of 17.4L for it (after some negotiation; they asked for 18.5L originally). Still a tidy sum for me, but just couldn't resist the beauty. And our Honda Civic was nearing 12 years, so needed to sell it while it still fetched something.
Old 5th October 2022, 20:31   #131

While looking for a pre-worshipped car for my friend, I found a new urge building inside me to buy a myself a pre-worshipped Octavia (actually the mouth watering deals that I saw made me think in this direction).

I just wanted to ask few queries to be able to make the best out of this purchase as this car will be replacing our Palio and a major part of its life would be spent in stop-and-go traffic and also used by my father so I want this vehicle to be fairly reliable:
  • What should be the value for a 2018-2019 L&K that is run around 20k kms (Delhi's market information requested, if possible)
  • There is also a 88k kms run 2018 L&K. Should I even be looking forward to this one and if so then what should be the cost and precautions I should take?
  • Any reliable mechanic and service center to perform a check-up of the car before purchasing (existing owners help requested).
  • The one with the lowest reading on the odo is a Goa registered one being sold here in Delhi. It seems a bit suspicious to me as I think that Delhi's used car market gives one of the lowest value for cars across India, I might not be entirely correct on this one so I would be happy to be corrected. I just mean to say that it would have probably fetched more money if it were sold in Mumbai.
  • Also I wanted to know some good habits that is followed by DSG/DCT owners when they face stop-and-go-traffic or such condition better be avoided?
  • Also it would be helpful if someone could elaborate on the common problems with the 1.8TSI (existing owners help requested) .
  • Lastly if the deal goes through then it would be helpful if I could know about ASC/FNG from the owners in Delhi NCR (existing owners help requested).

Thanks in advance to all those who would be assisting with the information.
Old 29th October 2022, 16:15   #132
BHPian

Hi all, I would like to wake this thread back up!!
I need some help finding a good pre worshipped 3rd gen Octavia tdi (preferably L&K) in Chennai. The premiums demanded by the used car dealers in Chennai are over the moon these days so that's out of the table.
Please let me know if you or someone you know are looking to part with their dear octy.

Last edited by manson : 29th October 2022 at 19:06. Reason: Typo.
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:57   #133
BHPian

Buy or Pass? 1.2L driven 2015 Octavia TSI AT

I own a 2011 Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI, been diligent with the maintenance and it does the job. Being in Bangalore, it gets tiring to drive a manual for 2-3 hrs a day. Checked out new cars but none are making sense to me, specially with the high sticker price + KA taxation.

For the first time, I am considering buying a used pre-loved car.

Checked Spinny, Cars24, local dealers - none of them make sense and prices are close to a new car. I also suspect a lot of water damaged cars getting sold now, with the recent flooding in Bangalore. (What is a good way to asses if its a water damaged car?)

Recently in my society, someone is selling their Skoda.

Should I go for it?

Its a 1.2 lac driven 2015 Skoda Octavia 1.8 AT TSI Petrol for 8L in Bangalore. Second owner, who bought it at 55K in 2018 and is in my society. I am yet to check the service records but current owner claims it is serviced at Skoda and I can have a look. Recent work history he told me was complete repair of the engine cooling system. I am guess it must be the water pump failure.

With the collective wisdom of this group,

What are the dangers of owning a ~8yr old Skoda TSI AT?
Should I expect some heavy maintenance bills?
What should I look for to ensure?

If not this one, what are the other good ways of catching direct buyers early for a trusted deal?

Last edited by BNG-motorhead : 3rd December 2022 at 10:58.
BNG-motorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 12:55   #134
BHPian

Re: Buy or Pass? 1.2L driven 2015 Octavia TSI AT

I would say hard pass.

The Octavia TSI has the infamous DQ200 DSG gearbox. At 1.2L kms, it might be on its last legs. Be prepared to shell out 1.5-2L for the eventual DSG repairs.

Also, regarding the cooling system repair, do check if it was done as a preventive maintenance or it was done because the engine overheated. Depending on how much over heating, it could've damaged the engine and might not be apparent yet.

Given Bangalore's speed brakers, pot holes and general poor condition of roads, I would actually suggest a more comfy pseudo SUV like the Creta for your requirements.
Kumaran93R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 16:34   #135
BHPian

Re: Buy or Pass? 1.2L driven 2015 Octavia TSI AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
I would say hard pass.

The Octavia TSI has the infamous DQ200 DSG gearbox. At 1.2L kms, it might be on its last legs. Be prepared to shell out 1.5-2L for the eventual DSG repairs.

Also, regarding the cooling system repair, do check if it was done as a preventive maintenance or it was done because the engine overheated. Depending on how much over heating, it could've damaged the engine and might not be apparent yet.

Given Bangalore's speed brakers, pot holes and general poor condition of roads, I would actually suggest a more comfy pseudo SUV like the Creta for your requirements.
Thanks for the advise, exactly what I was thinking!

1.5-2 is skoda workshop or fng? Or it doesnt matter
BNG-motorhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks