Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 12:37   #346
BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Hi Friends,

I will be moving from Faridabad to Bangalore next month as I am switching jobs. I plan to take my 6 month old duster with me. I don't think selling it will be the best idea. I have a 6 lac loan from SBI.
Now I will need a bit of information from you:

1. Do I have any option other than pay the loan amount to SBI? Is it possible for them to provide me the required clearance without terminating the loan.

2. Is there a possibility of getting the refund from Faridabad RTO? How long does an RTO take to provide the NOC?

3. How much will be the tax for a 6 month old duster in Bangalore? How do I go about registering the vehicle in Bangalore? What documents do I need other than the NOC, original receipt?

Thanks.
Old 11th March 2015, 14:47   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknight View Post
Hello BHP-ians,

Need your guidance please in this tricky situation. I' am currently located in Gurgaon but plan to move from my current location (Gurgaon) back to my home state (Hyderabad-Telangana) by the end of the year (Dec, 2015). I will moving out of country for a foreign assignment and my father or brother will be using the car for about a year or so till I get back.

I am in discussions to a buy new car (Tata Bolt most probably) on finance either from Tata Finance, HDFC, or SBI (not finalized yet) for 60 months.

Q1: Will I able to pay the road tax and register the car with Hyderabad number after 9 months (the initial reg. will be HR number since the car will be bought in Gurgaon)?
Why don't you make your life simpler and buy the new car in Hyderabad and bring it to Gurgaon. Since the car will go back to Hyderabad after 9 months you will again have to get it registered there since the Traffic Police there has a liking for Out of State cars unlike Gurgaon.
Buy it in Hyderabad and bring it Gurgaon for use.
Else, Buy it in Gurgaon, get a temp. registration done in the name of Hyd. RTO then get it registered there without moving the car anywhere if you cannot do a Gurgaon-Hyderebad trip with the car.
You will need an agent for this though who can get this car registered in Hyderabad. In this way you will only pay taxes for 1 state and be stress free.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 15:47   #348
BHPian

How can I get a temporary registration done in Hyderabad while being still in Gurgaon (because I want to avoid the trip either ways, be it Hyd-Gurgaon or Gurgaon-Hyd). Doesn't the RTO need to trace the chasis and engine number to register the car?

Please can you detail the procedure involved and if it is possible to buy a car in gurgaon (without registration). Do the dealers sell cars like that? OR is there a way where I can register the car in gurgaon temporarily for 1 year or something like that.

Thanks
BM
Old 15th March 2015, 12:08   #349
BHPian

Though long and hard and there is only one option for me. Buy the car and register in gurgaon (by paying 6% tax) as it not possible for me to take the car all the way to Hyderabad and spend time getting it registered and then get it back. Both driving and transporting all the way to and from Gurgaon-Hyderabad-Gurgaon is very time consuming and also not financially viable. The cost of the trip and transportation will almost come close to the road-tax amount in Gurgaon (simple calculation reveals surprises.)

Now, coming back to my original problem. Like I had mentioned earlier, I would probably be moving back to Hyderabad in about 9-10 months time. For the car, I am planning to take a loan from SBI Gurgaon (through the dealer). Will SBI provide me with some of letter (when I move back to Hyderabad later down the time)permitting me to pay the road/life tax in Hyderabad (Telangana) state? I don't mind keeping the HR number as long as I am able to the road tax in hyderabad.

Any advise/comments on the above is much appreciated!
Old 15th March 2015, 23:49   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Though long and hard and there is only one option for me.
I am not sure if you are aware. Cars upto 6 Lac ex showroom are required to pay 3% as Registration charge in Haryana. I dont know which model you are planning to purchase but this might be relevant for you.

Last edited by atnyia : 16th March 2015 at 00:05.
Old 16th March 2015, 12:02   #351
BHPian

Kerala budget announces life-time road tax for out-of-state vehicles in the lines of Karnataka tax.

But there is a small respite. For 1 month to 1 year, it is a flat Rs 1500 for cars and Rs 200 for two wheelers. After 1 year, the regular tax rate pro-rated will apply.

Last edited by blacksport : 16th March 2015 at 12:04.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 23:19   #352
Senior - BHPian

Is the karnataka lifetime tax for re-registering vehicles still on? I just moved to blr and a colleague claimed that karnataka already rescinded this a while back after the high Court made them stop it?

He is probably mistaken but still worth asking I thought. Hope Springs eternal and all that.
Old 17th March 2015, 23:29   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Is the karnataka lifetime tax for re-registering vehicles still on? I just moved to blr and a colleague claimed that karnataka already rescinded this a while back after the high Court made them stop it?

He is probably mistaken but still worth asking I thought. Hope Springs eternal and all that.

The drive is currently on hold. I have a TN registered vehicle (KA Life tax paid, but not yet re-registered). Nowadays I don't see cops taking a second look at the number plate.

Are you planning to settle down? Or is it just a temporary move?
Old 17th March 2015, 23:33   #354
Senior - BHPian

I accepted a new job that started yesterday. So I've moved here. And two or four years later if my new employer says move somewhere else I can hardly say no, but I can't predict the future. I guess I will be here for at least two or three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The drive is currently on hold. I have a TN registered vehicle (KA Life tax paid, but not yet re-registered). Nowadays I don't see cops taking a second look at the number plate.

Are you planning to settle down? Or is it just a temporary move?
Did someone use the RTO online form yet instead of paying an agent? What are the pitfalls in this?

http://164.100.80.164/vow/?AspxAutoD...ookieSupport=1

And I'm getting conflicting information - "self declaration before notary public" appears to be accepted as a valid form of address proof on the RTO site but there are reports of some ARTOs rejecting such proof.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2015 at 18:52. Reason: Posts merged on request.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 09:16   #355
Team-BHP Support

Noticed a lot of non UP cars being pulled over in Noida yesterday

Not sure if it was for tax issues
Old 19th March 2015, 09:28   #356
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be a welcome development in the Telengana/ AP High Court. The judicial bench, that also has the CJ as a member, has questioned the state RTA on why life tax should be paid again when it has already been paid in another state. They have given a few days time to the respondent to explain.

The bench also frowned upon the official who impounded the vehicle and said that the petitioner could file a case against him seeking damages.

More details here : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46616574.cms

Last edited by vnabhi : 19th March 2015 at 09:29.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 13:20   #357
Senior - BHPian

I am moving to Hyderabad and planning to re-register Kawasaki Z800 and would like to pay road tax there and later claim road tax from KA govt (1.1L was paid recently).

What all documents are required to get NOC certificate from KA Govt and can i pay road tax in Hyderabad in a month's time after getting NOC?

I can claim some amount of tax from my organization if i pay road tax within 30-May and hence urgency

Also any additional documents required for re-registering CBU import bike.
Any pointers will be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by djay99 : 19th March 2015 at 13:26.
Old 22nd March 2015, 01:56   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
There seems to be a welcome development in the Telengana/ AP High Court. The judicial bench, that also has the CJ as a member, has questioned the state RTA on why life tax should be paid again when it has already been paid in another state. They have given a few days time to the respondent to explain.

The bench also frowned upon the official who impounded the vehicle and said that the petitioner could file a case against him seeking damages.

More details here : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46616574.cms
Wow the rule applies to pan India and hope to God that it gets passed in Telangana/AP. In US too, there is a kind of similiar rule. Although you have re-register the car in the new state if you stay for more than 90 days, you don't have to pay the tax again. Just FYI...there is annual tax and not life tax in the USA.

It makes perfect sense that when you are paying so much tax in one state (ranging from 6% to 12% for most mid-class cars) and if you move to another state you don't have to shell out that amount all over again. Come on, guys, this is India and we are Indians living in India, there should not be such a big penality just because a guy moved to another state to make a living!!!
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:02   #359
BHPian

Thanks for the Karnataka RTO link. Can someone please tell me if this is the pathway to get a car registered and pay lifetime tax in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I accepted a new job that started yesterday. So I've moved here. And two or four years later if my new employer says move somewhere else I can hardly say no, but I can't predict the future. I guess I will be here for at least two or three years.

Did someone use the RTO online form yet instead of paying an agent? What are the pitfalls in this?

http://164.100.80.164/vow/?AspxAutoD...ookieSupport=1

And I'm getting conflicting information - "self declaration before notary public" appears to be accepted as a valid form of address proof on the RTO site but there are reports of some ARTOs rejecting such proof.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:05   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Quote:
Wow the rule applies to pan India and hope to God that it gets passed in Telangana/AP.

Come on, guys, this is India and we are Indians living in India, there should not be such a big penality just because a guy moved to another state to make a living!!!
I read this in the news paper but will be happy if this is implemented.

Is there a way to use a UP registered car in Hyderabad without having to pay the LTT. I am sure have to wait for the decision.

My other question is : How much amount of LTT refund does the owner get from the UP RTO ?

Any help !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks