Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 17:24   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Hi Waseem,
Thanks for the reply. I do not have the option of PM, can you PM your number.

Also I would like to retain my TN number since someday I will be going back to TN(also have a fancy number).
So for now just make an address change to KA and while going back make an address change to TN and apply for KA LTT refund. Will this workout?
I cannot PM you my no. as well.

I can be reached at 098455-82415.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 01:02   #467

Hi,

I am relocating to Hyderabad and I have a choice of taking one of these two vehicles. A September 2007 registered swift vdi and a 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis Gl. Both cars have covered similar mileage and I can take either but if the difference between the taxes to be paid for both isn't much then I'd rather take the Corolla . It would be really helpful if any member could just give me a ballpark figure as to the tax amount I would need to shell for each vehicle. I will be in the city for close to 2 years.
Old 7th February 2016, 09:06   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparajit10 View Post
Hi,

I am relocating to Hyderabad and I have a choice of taking one of these two vehicles. A September 2007 registered swift vdi and a 2010 Toyota Corolla Altis Gl. Both cars have covered similar mileage and I can take either but if the difference between the taxes to be paid for both isn't much then I'd rather take the Corolla . It would be really helpful if any member could just give me a ballpark figure as to the tax amount I would need to shell for each vehicle. I will be in the city for close to 2 years.
Here you go sir.

Please refer to the attachment and the link.

http://www.transport.telangana.gov.i...-time-tax.html

Waseem Memon
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-1454816193469.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 12:15   #469
BHPian

My daughter moved from Chennai to Ahmedabad a moth back. She drove the car down. Recently, we just renewed the insurance here at Ahmedabad. Would some kind soul explain:

• whether it is mandatory to change the number nowadays?
  • If so, the procedure to be followed?
  • Whether there is a reliable agent in Chennai who could be trusted with this?
  • Whether the insurance renewed at Ahmedabad is valid?

Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 09:54   #470
BHPian

Wassem, wrt the query of Aparajit10 regarding relocating to Hyderabad, I was wondering whether the proposed annual tax for outstation registered vehicles is likely to be implemented soon. If so, then Aparajit10 need not pay a OTT on his cars.
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:05   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

The cheque will be drawn in the name of the company.

Waseem.....
An agent told me that even though I am moving to a different state, I am only eligible to refund for the amount of tax difference between Corporate Tax (since the car is currently registered in the name of my company) and Individual Tax (when I transfer to my name). Could someone please confirm ?
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:13   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
My daughter moved from Chennai to Ahmedabad a moth back. She drove the car down. Recently, we just renewed the insurance here at Ahmedabad. Would some kind soul explain:
I am based in Pune, but based on my experience transferring my car from Kerala registration to Maharashtra, I can offer the following advice.
Quote:
whether it is mandatory to change the number nowadays?
Yes. If you intend to use the car for more than six months you need to re-register the car in the new state. Note that the figure of six months might vary from state to state.

Quote:
If so, the procedure to be followed?
  1. Get Chennai Police verification that the vehicle is not stolen and there are no fines etc. pending against it.
  2. Apply for the NOC from the Chennai RTO. They will require the Police verification first. You will get one copy of the NOC and the other copy is sent directly to the Ahmedabad RTO (You will need to provide a stamped and addressed envelope for the same).
  3. Wait for the Ahmedabad RTO to confirm that they have received the NOC from Chennai (this took a month for me)
  4. Submit the form for transfer of registration and the supporting documents to the Ahmedabad RTO. Supporting documents include original registration certificate, valid PUC and invoice of the vehicle.
  5. The Ahmedabad RTO will calculate the amount of tax to be paid based on the depreceated value of the vehicle (this is where the original invoice is required).
  6. Submit the vehicle for inspection (just as if it were a new vehicle). Make sure that the car meets all the local regulations - I had to remove the sunfilm to comply.
  7. Pay the tax - this is calculated on the depreceated value of the car based on the invoice.
  8. You will now get a new certificate of registration.
  9. (Optional) Submit the new registration certificate with the tax receipt to the Chennai RTO and request for a refund of the tax paid there. This needs to be done within 30 days of getting the new registration.

Quote:
Whether there is a reliable agent in Chennai who could be trusted with this?
Can someone else suggest a good agent?

Quote:
Whether the insurance renewed at Ahmedabad is valid?
I'm a little confused on this point. To clarify ...
  • If you have renewed your insurance on the the old number, then it is valid regardless of where you purchased it from. Please make sure that the address on the insurance is updated.
  • If you have purchased the insurance in Ahmedabad on the new registration you will need to inform the insurance provider and inform them about the change in registration. They will usually charge you a nominal fee for performing this change (it was Rs. 50 in my case).
vivtho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 14:54   #473
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
Wait for the Ahmedabad RTO to confirm that they have received the NOC from Chennai (this took a month for me)
It depends on the previous RTO, that is Chennai RTO. For my car, it was electronics city RTO and the details were available on SARATHI database, hence took 3 days, where for my bike Jayanagr RTO took more than 3 weeks.
Quote:
  1. The Ahmedabad RTO will calculate the amount of tax to be paid based on the depreceated value of the vehicle (this is where the original invoice is required).
  2. Submit the vehicle for inspection (just as if it were a new vehicle). Make sure that the car meets all the local regulations - I had to remove the sunfilm to comply.
  3. Pay the tax - this is calculated on the depreceated value of the car based on the invoice.
Tax had to be paid after RTO calculate the tax amount. Vehicle inspection will happen after 45 days of tax paid.

Regarding insurance, once new RC is provided, the copy of the RC has to be submitted to insurer to make necessary changes to the OP's insurance. For me it was done free of cost.
Old 24th February 2016, 15:55   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post

I'm a little confused on this point. To clarify ...[*]If you have renewed your insurance on the the old number, then it is valid regardless of where you purchased it from. Please make sure that the address on the insurance is updated.
I have bought the insurance on the old number and new address.

How would the RTO authorities know when the 6 months are up?
Old 24th February 2016, 16:32   #475
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone been successful in getting a road tax refund ? I am shortly moving from Chennai and Pune and will be getting my car re-registered. I asked an agent here whether he could help with a refund later and the response I got was that it isn't possible and the RTO doesn't give refunds. Even offering him a part of the refund amount as a commission didn't get him interested.
Old 24th February 2016, 17:02   #476
BHPian

Quote:
I have bought the insurance on the old number and new address.
You shouldn't have any problem with the insurance then.

Quote:
How would the RTO authorities know when the 6 months are up?
They won't know. That said, if the car is stopped by the cops or by the RTO flying squad you will be asked to prove that the car is there only temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Has anyone been successful in getting a road tax refund ? I am shortly moving from Chennai and Pune and will be getting my car re-registered. I asked an agent here whether he could help with a refund later and the response I got was that it isn't possible and the RTO doesn't give refunds. Even offering him a part of the refund amount as a commission didn't get him interested.
I'm unsuccessful till date ... We need to get the tax refunded from the original RTO (in Kottayam, Kerala) and didn't know about the 30 day rule. Now we have submitted an appeal to reconsider.
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 09:28   #477
BHPian

Do we have a list of all states that accept short term tax (1 year for example ) for moving between states ? I was told Telengana has one but their site comes up empty.
Old 28th February 2016, 11:21   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I'll be moving from Chennai to Pune soon and now need to figure out what to do about my TN registered car.

What is the scene like in Pune for out of state cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
No one will bother you in Pune for first 12 months if you have Toll/PUC/Service Record/Insurance done in Chennai.

RTO guys will seldom bother you even after 12 months,only the Traffic constables who are on the look out for quick bucks will harass you.
These days, the Pune RTO only goes after JH and PY registered cars, and even the owners are sent a notice, and if the notice receiver can prove that the address of registeration of vehicle is in their possesion, and the vehicle has visited the location within the last 11 months the notice will be withdrawn.
So if the car is registered at a TN adress that you own, and you are likely to drive there more than once a year no issue with retaining the same registeration,

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 13:32   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
These days, the Pune RTO only goes after JH and PY registered cars, ...
Rahul

Thanks Rahul. I was planning on getting it re-registered because I'm not from Chennai, so there would be no one to run around later. However the bank (car loan) is taking forever to give me an NOC and I am running out of time.

Your post makes things a little better. Also understand I can only pay the tax and keep my same no. I hope I don't face too much cop trouble !
Old 3rd March 2016, 17:08   #480
BHPian

My colleague was caught last week at Koramangla(Bangalore) by RTO for road tax. The RC book was taken over. He visited RTO office and mentioned that he will not be in KA permanently and paid a yearly tax and got the RC book back.
Is the option of yearly tax available in KA?

P.S.: Yearly tax was Rs.3000

Last edited by Zappo : 9th March 2016 at 17:05. Reason: Merged the 1-liner follow up post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks