Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 260 60.61%
No 169 39.39%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 09:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

S-Cross 1.6 at 6-7 lakhs is a very good buy for an enthusiast. I had posted few tips for buying used S-Cross 1.6 on official review thread couple of months back.

Quote:
Good to see many forum members picking up S-Cross 1.6. Well maintained cars are available for around 8 lakhs. Do note that Maruti sold only ~4000 units of S-Cross 1.6.

My car would turn 4 years next month , really enjoyed the journey with my cross. It was fun experimenting many mods and being successful at it too .

Few tips for those looking for used S-Cross 1.6

1. Don't hunt for very low mileage cars, go for ones with at least 30k+ kms done. I am saying this because the problematic parts would have been replaced

2. Few parts which are known to have issues are brake switch, oil pressure sensor, Turbo to IC hose, rear suspension beam, rear shocks, glow plugs, steering wheel leather wrap.

3. High pressure fuel pump: I know at least 3 owners who got this part changed under warranty. It costs more than 40k. Do check for leaks.

4. It's good if you can get any late 2016 to 2017 model with extended warranty.

Must do mods / upgrades for better driving experience

1. Tyres: Majority of the 1.6 owners are running with Michelin P4ST. Other good options are MC5 , Perfinza, BluEarth. OE size is adequate, My 200 HP car has 205/60 R16 tyres.

2. Headlamps: Output is pathetic in top end Alpha variant. Best and easy VFM option is installing fog lamp projectors.

3. Wolf Remap: Stage 1 remap is very good , it addresses the well known poor low end. The power delivery is very linear and car pulls cleanly. Oh yes, the famous turbo kick will be much lesser, thanks to improved low end and linear power delivery.

4. Brake pads: Rear brake pads are imported from Japan and they are pretty good. Front brake pads are just average when it comes to high speed braking. There is lot of brake fade. EBC Green stuff will take care of it.

5. Rear Shocks: They are known for pre mature wear. Upgrading to KYB Excel-G helps in delivering a much better driving experience.

With the above mentioned 5 mods, it's really a different car!!

Some interesting facts

1. S-Cross 1.6 and Jeep Compass 2.0 MJD share same clutch and gearbox.

2. Front brake pads of Nissan 350Z (non Brembo caliper) are direct fit for S-Cross.

Thanks to the prevailing Covid-19 situation & lockdown, not able to hit the roads with my Stage 3 beast...waiting for the day .
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4790224 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is no comparison. The SX4's overall quality levels were below-average to average (at best), while the S-Cross' build & quality are top class.
I have a different opinion after ownership of SX4 for 9+ years and S-Cross for 4+ years. S-Cross does get few more features and has a modern feel.

There are lot of things which makes me write SX4 is better for example I never had broken AC vent knobs and the door pads don't flex when you operate power windows when compared to S-Cross. If we discuss about parts under the hood except engine off course.. SX4 has more imported parts which are of better quality too when compared to S-Cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I feel it would be better to go for a used SX4 Zdi. The boot is bigger and the mechanicals are almost the same, I guess (except the rear Discs).
I agree with you if you can find a well maintained SX4 diesel. Rear brake discs doesn't really offer any better braking in S-Cross as they are super thin and non ventilated. SX4 gets bigger drum brakes at rear and bigger / imported brake booster too, not to forget the braking difference from 80 kmph is more than a car length if compared.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th September 2020 at 09:37.
Dr.Naren is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes. Frankly I never found the S-cross looks unappealing from any side. In fact after the facelift they made it quite similar to the BMW X1 with that front grill design and side profile view.

The only annoying thing I found in the vehicle was the engine noise filtering inside the cabin. It is just atrocious.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:44   #18
Team-BHP Support

Have always been a S-cross fan and recommended them to my office colleagues over the Ciaz.

The 1.6L was a tough sell to non enthusiasts and that is the one I would look at in used as well.

The 1.6L S-cross was the only car that tempted me to get rid of my Ecosport within 2 years of buying it!. I had gotten the Ecosport in 2013 and was very happy with it till I drove the 1.6L S-cross in 2015 and was like maybe I should have waited a year and a half for this.

The engine was just fantastic and the overall Euro feel was nothing like from a Maruti.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a Yes.

This is such a complete car in so many ways. Has space, is well built for a Maruti, is frugal, well knitted for the top two variants ,tall enough to give a better driving view compared to low slung hatches/sedans, right size for our congested cities. If you just want one for city, get the 1.3 but out on the highway the 1.6 is a hoot. Can be driven and be driven in. There are so many things to like here.

I love this car as a package and will eventually pick a used one up to replace my aging swift.

Last edited by bigron : 5th September 2020 at 09:58.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:45   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Voted Yes. The SCROSS is an amazing car. It’s the perfect definition of a crossover. People ignore it because it doesn’t look like an SUV. I would love to pick the 1.6 for the following reasons-

1. Amazing performance and push back in the seat. The gearbox is smooth too.
2. Ride quality and handling are perfect. I find the suspension on the Scross perfect for our roads.
3. Interior space is more than adequate plus the seats in general are very comfortable.

I wouldn’t pick the 1.3 for obvious reasons but the 1.6 with the facelift’s front will look good.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2020 at 20:02. Reason: Non-forum characters deleted
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 10:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No. Maybe yes for the 1.6 but considering it sold very little and would have been bought by folks fully aware of its capabilities, examples in the used car market will be very limited.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 12:56   #22
BHPian

Voted yes. One of the few Marutis I would ever consider. This applies only for the 1.6 variant, though. Finding a well maintained one at a good price is something easier said than done. This sold in few numbers and only true enthusiasts would have bought them. That segment of buyers would have used the heck out of it (albeit maintained them well). Such owners would also seldom part with their 1.6s except when they have to relocate/ lack of parking space/ upgrade to a higher segment. Resale value would also be higher.

I would also be equally happy with a pre-worshipped Ecosport since I kind of like Fords (time for putting up the Ecosport as the pre-worshipped car next week?).
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod potential of S-Cross 1.6!!

I have been experimenting various mods since I bought the car in 2016. I suggest this car for any enthusiast who is looking for an used car at a budget of 6-8 lakhs.

When I got the car in 2016, a simple remap too was kinda difficult. This made me try different tuners and Wolf moto was able to meet my requirements. Progress was swift after that like decat downpipe, turbo upgrade etc which helped me push the car to 200+ HP. Could you image a Maruti diesel cross over doing 0-100 in 6.7 seconds? Yes, that's how capable the engine is after mods.

Brake upgrades are also available for the car like slotted rotors and performance pads. As of now I am trying to get more details to improve the handling, there are few options from International brands which needs to be explored like lowering springs, sway bars, strut braces etc.

Conclusion:

Find a S-Cross 1.6 for 6-7 lakhs and spend around 3 lakhs for a proper Stage 3 setup including engine, brakes and suspension mods.. You have a 200 HP built car for under 10 lakhs .
Dr.Naren is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:13   #24
BHPian

YES!
I would buy either of the engines as this car has the mod potential to go the full monty. The ride and handling is superb at the price point. It is at the top of its game given that Maruti isn't known for making sturdy cars. Being a 1.3 2019 facelift owner and driven now almost 20k kms, I can claim the following:
1. The car is rock solid at speeds but the engine is the one that looses breath.
2. The suspension isn't great for city but livable.
3. It has respectable features in top model.
4. The fuel efficiency is great with the 1.3. 1.6 isn't far behind.
5. It's a Maruti, so spares and service is answered.
6. The car is spacious and comfortable. Not many sedans can claim this.
7. The boot is decent. Not bad, not good.
8. Few known parts rattle in the facelift. That's Maruti DNA. But it can be fixed.
9. NVH is bad in the 1.3.
10. The facelift Alpha LED projectors are the weakest link in the car. My biggest gripe. Upgrade definitely required.

The 1st iteration looks were underrated and the facelift was exactly opposite. The chrome deletion at certain parts can fix that.

If one could bargain well, then this car will be too good to refuse. It does not have the snob value of other brands but it'll get the work done with a smile.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:31   #25
BHPian

Voted Yes but for 1.3. My feedback would be minority to what others propose for voting for 1.6 and not 1.3. My main reasons for not choosing 1.6 is as follows-

a) The turbo lag is pretty bad in city speeds. Though the remap can get this resolved to an extent, this is definitely evident and will be deal breaker for many.
b) Spare parts while would be available as it is MS, it will take time to procure as the years pass by.
c) The spare parts and maintenance are generally costlier compared to 1.3.

If you are predominantly a city user with occasional highway drives, 1.3 would be more suited. You may:

a) Get the car remapped( wolf has got switchable maps and definitely transforms the car both at city speeds as well as on the highways)
b) Quite a few of the owners have taken the insurance route to give a face lift to their Scross- you may not be left shortchanged of running with old looks.
c) Get the headlights upgraded, tyres, alloys changed.

With above minimal changes, you are set to run the car for at least 4-5 years and definitely helps you to own a comfortable family cruiser with minimal capital expenditure going through pre-owned route.
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes and that was mainly for:
1. The 1.6 ltr / ~120bhp / ~18-20kmpl (?) gem of an engine.
2. Robust build quality - if not for the price, i would have bought it instead of the EcoSport. This is one car that matched up to the build quality.

If i was in the market for a fun car for myself on a tight budget - this would definitely be an option. And i feel the facelift made it worse - the original grill somehow was still much more palatable.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes for the 1.6l variant.

The only negative people can say is for the styling, too soft in the pre-FL and too toothy in the FL version.
Well, just stop seeing it as an SUV/crossover, and see it a fat hatchback or a raised truncated stationwagon.

unMaruti like high speed handling, decent interiors and ofcourse the overall build quality.
It's the little stuff that impressed. Lack of visual cost cutting, the padded dead pedal, the old school carpeting around the driver foot area and the overall emphasis on practical features over gizmos.

Have only driven the 1.3l, but the chassis was begging for more. The 1.6l would do justice to it I believe.

Add Maruti's A.S.S and parts availability. Can't go wrong.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:10   #28
BHPian

I am inclined to say yes, only to the 1.6 DDiS. But I've read that it's an imported engine and is very sensitive to fuel quality. If that's true, then it'll sadly be a pass from me.

If it's not true, then yes. Marutis service network plus one of the very few maruti cars which has good build quality. And it has all the gizmos I need like Android Auto, Auto wipers/headlamps etc. and even more importantly the space inside. Having travelled in one in the back seat, it can comfortably seat 3 and have enough boot space for all their luggage as well.

Last edited by SaiSW : 5th September 2020 at 19:13.
Old 5th September 2020, 19:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

A big YES for the 1.6!

While I may not recommend a new S-Cross today as it is dated compared to its peers for the price MS is asking, I would whole heartedly recommend a pre-owned 1.6 for an enthusiast.

What I really appreciate about the S Cross 1.6 having lived with it for over 4 years and 45Kkm:

- excellent ingress & egress : its not too high, its not too low. Perfect for the elderly, those with a bad back, etc.

- Addictive turbo kick! A remap greatly helps overcome the turbo lag, whilst not taking away much from the fun. However be careful of literally smoking those behind you during stop-light drags.

- Decent build quality : the car, though it has developed a few rattles is built quite well given the roads it has seen. There are some known niggles that have been documented on the official review and other threads, but otherwise ages quite well.

- Mature ride & handling : Living in Mumbai, this car has dismissed most potholes and rough patches I've encountered with aplomb, and car is equally stable at high speeds.

- if buying the 1.6, please account for the following costs: New grippy tyres if not already present (the stock JK loose traction too easily), a remap (to fix the low end turbo lag).

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the 1.3 given there are a host of other options that excel in their own ways - such as the EcoSport, Duster AWD, etc. but it is a good all-rounder for the asking price.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 20:06   #30
BHPian

Voted no simply because of no emotional connect.
We had test driven the 1.6 & 1.3. while the 1.6 was a lovely machine to drive and perhaps was maruti's best offering, the model simply felt old and not upto the mark then. I would have still bought it if they had offered better tyres & rims, rear ac vents, slightly relaxed back seat angle. We had got the Ciaz over the s cross just because of this.

Even in the aftermarket space I would buy the duster awd if I wanted something in this category.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks