Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 260 60.61%
No 169 39.39%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 18:55   #91
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Great choice, rainmaster.

Wish you many happy miles with your new car.

Sai
Thanks Sai , hope S-Cross 1.6 will serve me well for another 100K kilometers

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post

You are also correct, that it is not an excellent handling car. It is a mature handling car, it likes more sewwping corners than tight ones. These are not chuckable like the older fords.
Thanks govi, I got my rear suspension changed to Monroe, can definitely feel settled ride. Planning to make front suspension changes during 90k service.
For all Ford owners, hang on to your ride as long as you can. I sold my Ford's only because I have already clocked 200k kilometers in respective car. Finding a replacement car with soul is not an easy task.
rainmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 21:55   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

For those looking for a 1.6: there is one on TBHP classifieds

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy.../S-Cross.html/
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 19:05   #93
BHPian

I'm looking for a used S-Cross (under 5 years old) in Bangalore.

I am checking Spinny but find them too expensive with all the depreciation reserved for the person they bought it from and all the lack-of-depreciation for their buyer.

Is there any source you would recommend? How are the MRL cars from Cars24?

Anyone here selling their S-Cross?
Old 7th December 2022, 00:22   #94

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

I have come across a used S Cross 1.6 D and below are the details.
Reg year - 2016 (Feb)
Manufactured - late 2015
Odo: 43K
Variant - Alpha

Its in top condition mechanically and electronically.
Have taken it to MS SC and the mechanics feedback is very positive.

Pros:
Drives brilliantly.
Interior is very well maintained
Regularly serviced at Nexa
all 4 tyres were replaced last year (though Goodyears but new nonetheless)
windshield and all 4 windows have Garware ice shield films

Cons
Bonnet has been replaced coz a tree branch fell on it. It was only a scratch and no impact to the engine bay.

clutch fluid was leaking (owner could not explain it properly). But since work was being done owner got the clutch plate replaced. No issues with the flywheel. I too did not face any issues with the clutch nor the MS mechanic. Infact it was very light.

The asking price is 7 lacs. Should I go for it..?

PS: The seller is not a dealer but an individual and seemed very genuine and humble.
Old 7th December 2022, 13:16   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin0384 View Post
I have come across a used S Cross 1.6 D and below are the details.
Reg year - 2016 (Feb)
Manufactured - late 2015
Odo: 43K
Variant - Alpha

Its in top condition mechanically and electronically.
Have taken it to MS SC and the mechanics feedback is very positive.

clutch fluid was leaking (owner could not explain it properly). But since work was being done owner got the clutch plate replaced. No issues with the flywheel. I too did not face any issues with the clutch nor the MS mechanic. Infact it was very light.

The asking price is 7 lacs. Should I go for it..?

PS: The seller is not a dealer but an individual and seemed very genuine and humble.
The car sounds to be in good condition, and would be worth looking into. It is one of few cars that are practical & fun to drive whilst being reasonably modern and value for money.

The only problem with the 1.6 is that certain spares are a little hard to get and does require planning - even for MASS/Nexa: timing belt + water pump, clutch and flywheel, etc. but there are workarounds being explored by 1.6 users such as going the aftermarket route.
It will also throw the odd niggle every once in a while : oil pressure switch being a big culprit.

Two big issues to watch out for are:
- a sticky steering column : please check this as this could be expensive and if the car is out of warranty (which it would be) it is on your cost
- rear torsion beam : again an expensive part, and was known to give issues on some cars. Most visible symptom is poor ride quality especially in the rear. Maruti changed the design on the facelift I believe.

Apart from these issues, the car is a joy!

Regarding the fluid leak : it has happened to some cars - in my case it has happened twice. Nothing to worry about as such provided it's been fixed properly and the car hasn't given issues since.
In my case, it wasn't fixed properly and we ended up having to re-fix it again within a few months / 5K kms.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:58   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The only problem with the 1.6 is that certain spares are a little hard to get and does require planning - even for MASS/Nexa: timing belt + water pump, clutch and flywheel, etc. but there are workarounds being explored by 1.6 users such as going the aftermarket route.
It will also throw the odd niggle every once in a while : oil pressure switch being a big culprit.

- a sticky steering column : please check this as this could be expensive and if the car is out of warranty (which it would be) it is on your cost
- rear torsion beam : again an expensive part, and was known to give issues on some cars. Most visible symptom is poor ride quality especially in the rear. Maruti changed the design on the facelift I believe.
Thank you for your valuable inputs and about the issues. I will get them checked.

I completely agree with your points about the niggles here and there.

I presently drive 2017 Elite i20 1.2 NA. Believe me this is a completely no nonsense car which never gave me any headache whatsoever. But it is highly under powered.

So I believe, if I get to own and drive the 1.6 I will have to be ready to bow down to its tantrums in return for the pure joy it's going to offer me everytime I drive it

I hope things work out in my favour.. fingers crossed.
Sachin0384 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 11:00   #97
BHPian

Re-posting from another thread :

Hi Sudeep,
Apologies for hijacking this thread. Want to post my question here as this thread is more active.

Been looking for a 1.6 since long time and stumbled upon few of them in Spinny and olx. Shortlisted two which are :

1. Spinny : 2017, 95 K run - 2nd owner - Alpha - Asking price : Rs.8.02 lakh fixed
2. Cartrade : 2015, 75 K run - 1st owner - Alpha - Asking price - Rs.6.75 lakh. Service history available

It would have been no brainer going for the spinny one but I feel the pricing is significantly higher. However, they do offer some peace of mind in the form of insurance, one year warranty etc. The cartrade s-cross looks neat through pictures but I have my doubts on the low running it did in 8 years.

Any thoughts and advice will really be helpful for me to take a decision.
Old 8th April 2024, 07:17   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Were both these issues resolved in the 2017 facelift ? And do you think the 1.3 DDIS is still worth a buy at this time ?
Old 8th April 2024, 16:46   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Were both these issues resolved in the 2017 facelift ? And do you think the 1.3 DDIS is still worth a buy at this time ?
Not sure about the sticky steering but not hearing complaints of the same. The torsion beam was rectified IIRC.

The 1.3 is a capable car and worth considering, especially as parts are more easily available.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 16:58   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about the sticky steering ..
I dont see anyone else using the term sticky for the steering, in this thread. Could you please explain the behaviour to watch out for/check.
Old 8th April 2024, 17:06   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont see anyone else using the term sticky for the steering, in this thread. Could you please explain the behaviour to watch out for/check.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...dzire-too.html (Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too)

Basically the steering doesn't come back to center as it would normally - I haven't faced this issue on the S-Cross but some members have. I did face this issue on a Swift rental in Goa however and though livable, it's a pain especially in city with a manual car.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 10:57   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone compared the 2017 S-Cross with the 2016/17 Vitara Brezza ? What's your pick between the two, and why
Old 15th April 2024, 11:09   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone compared the 2017 S-Cross with the 2016/17 Vitara Brezza ? What's your pick between the two, and why
Not the diesels but I have spent some time behind the wheels of a petrol Brezza and a petrol S-Cross. If it is city heavy use, I would prefer the Brezza because of its compact footprint and better engine response due to slightly lower kerb weight. For highway centric use, S-Cross wins hands down. It has a far better composed ride, less body roll and better brakes. The SC cabin is also a much better place to be in - wider seats, loads of leg space and better plastics.

I have driven the diesel Brezza on a few occasions and would stick with the above opinion.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 21:59   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People preferring space, will like Scross. My Brezza is a lot smaller compared to Scross. My wife liked the Scross, but I was put off by the meager 1.3L engine back in the day as Scross is a bit too heavy and the lag is pretty pronounced, atleast that's what I felt.

Its a different story if anyone wants to pick a 1.6. Enough said and done about 1.6. If anyone gets a good example should go ahead with 1.6 scross VS the Brezza. It's a no-brainer decision
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 07:46   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

THanks, @ashis89 & @Gururaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If it is city heavy use, I would prefer the Brezza because of its compact footprint and better engine response due to slightly lower kerb weight. For highway centric use, S-Cross wins hands down. .
More highway than city use. Both look to have decent features without the electronic stuff of today's cars, but the boot space in the Vitara Brezza is a bit less. The VB looks a bit boring too, while the S-Cross has some thing different about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
If anyone gets a good example should go ahead with 1.6 scross VS the Brezza. It's a no-brainer decision
The problem is availability of some key parts, which users are reporting. And a smaller issue is the looks of the 1.6 vs the 1.3.

The query was more from a driving & usage experience than the driveability that the 1.6 gives.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks