Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used BMW 3-Series today?
Yes 423 76.63%
No 129 23.37%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2023, 14:51   #121
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Upgraded the Screen to a Android 10.25 inch one which supports iDrive as stock and also comes with Wireless Apple car play (I love using that). I also added a HD reverse camera with adaptive guidelines which completes the car.
Hi, can you share details about this upgrade with purchase links. Did you install it on your own? How is performing now?

Thanks!
Old 21st August 2023, 15:26   #122
BHPian

Voted: Yes

The F30 is a solid car and I wouldn't mind getting one if the user car market in Bangalore was a little more logical.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 00:25   #123
Senior - BHPian

Guys am looking at a 2018 registered 20k run 320D. Its 2017 manufactured so I believe it’s a Lci. What should be the right price for it ?
Old 5th December 2023, 02:10   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Guys am looking at a 2018 registered 20k run 320D. Its 2017 manufactured so I believe it’s a Lci. What should be the right price for it ?
Depends where you're buying it - each of the 3 locations you have on your profile have prices that could vary by upto 50% with blr being the highest and WB/DL being similar.

Best bet is to find similar cars on carwale / olx being listed by dealers and keeping a 10% buffer for negotiations.

And if it's BLR - you'd have better luck buying a G20 in Delhi for cheaper
Old 5th December 2023, 09:13   #125
BHPian

Depends on which dealer in Kolkata are you dealing from! Whatever they have quoted, reduce 2L and offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Old 25th February 2024, 17:09   #126
BHPian

Guys, getting a quote of 16L for a 2015 registered sports line 320D in Mumbai. Car is in good condition with complete service records, insurance for another one year. RFTs may hold for another 10K kms and overall it has done 37K kms. Is it a worthwhile price to pay ?

Last edited by abhjain : 25th February 2024 at 17:09. Reason: Typo
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 03:23   #127

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F330)

What’s up car addicts, this is my first time posting anything on team bhp whatsoever, however I have been around for a while.
So, I was actually about to buy an f30 320d, 2012 (close to 2013 cause 2012 Nov), sportline trim with no sunroof. It’s a 2nd owner and driven 83k kms. The owner turned out to be an acquaintance and he told me he’s replaced the complete front suspension, front tyres, front brake discs and brake pads all OEM and his reason for selling is because he stays out of the country a lot recently and the car isn’t being driven as much anymore. All the features seemed to be working just fine. We took a test drive, he pushed it hard as well. Couldn’t notice anything weird. There was a check engine light and on asking he told me he got it checked it’s just an ABS sensor that needs to be replaced. The asking price was 10.5L but I got it down to 7.5 instead which I think is a really good deal, would like to get others’ opinions on whether it is or not.
But the problem is, when we took it for a checkup, well, I wanted to get a complete 360 check but that was cut short due to some time constraints and not being able to find a competent workshop at the time but the one that I did go to, he ran an OBD scan and yes it gave error codes for ABS sensor as well as airmass sensor.
Then the mechanic later told me to stay away from it cause he said it could be a lot of work and he said he noticed some fluctuations in the rpms, which I never noticed myself even once even tho I’d been on like 3 drives in that car by the time. Instead I was actually looking at the tachometer properly and appreciating how lightning fast and seamless the shifts were. And to be honest, after reading so much about the notorious yet not serious ABS sensor problems in BMWs, I really can’t seem to trust that mechanic. And not without reason; He just had a fatalist mindset towards Germans and he went ahead to tell me how it’s also so difficult and bankrupting to maintain Ventos and that was the point he’d lost me. So anyways, cut to the chase, the point is it’s been almost a month and I can’t get the car outta my head, it feels so perfect and I badly badly miss her everyday so finally I was just thinking to get a complete check done at BMW itself. It’d cost around 12k but I guess it’s worth it right?
And I’m aware of the timing chain issue, it props up around 1 lakh kms and I’m ready to get it replaced when the time comes (around 95k kms hopefully). Would appreciate it if someone could give me an estimate of the replacement costs, I read it’s around 1.2lakhs? Worth it tbh if everything else goes fine. I just don’t want it to be an endless money pit because I do not have that much support either. Plus, I had another query. Is it so that you can’t get a comprehensive insurance on cars older than 10 years? If no, what’s the average annual insurance costs of a 320d? Also, has anyone done a proper 0-100 on their 320d? I’ve read its upwards of 8s but I feel like it’ll be closer to 7.
Here are some pictures, I really love her:-

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6836.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6837.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6329.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6330.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6834.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6886.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6816.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6335.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6331.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6341.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6344.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6362.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6363.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6921.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_6365.jpeg
Aaditya27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 10:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F330)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditya27 View Post
What’s up car addicts, this is my first time posting anything on team bhp whatsoever, however I have been around for a while.
So, I was actually about to buy an f30 320d, 2012 (close to 2013 cause 2012 Nov), sportline trim with no sunroof. It’s a 2nd owner and driven 83k kms... d. The asking price was 10.5L but I got it down to 7.5 instead which I think is a really good deal, would like to get others’ opinions on whether it is or not.
My opinion, disclaimer : most of the knowledge is from bmw forums/youtube, you're getting it at a good price. Please get the bmw dealer check done and run away if it's flood damaged or been in an accident. The car doesn't have a sunroof, that means no damaged rails, beading, motor, shade or drain pipes. You need to get the gearbox and rear differential oil changed, both aren't lifetime as bmw claims. The timing chain issue exists for these cars made before 2014, so that will need to be replaced.

The car can be made really fresh by just changing the gearknob, steering wheel (both to msport type) and a large infotainment screen with support for wireless apple/android.

You'll need a rainy day fund, this was a 50 lakh car in 2017, last year of production, and repairs are expensive. Regular service has economical third party options, even bmw gives a senior citizen discount for older cars, check androdev's 520d thread. GTO's 530d thread pegs annual upkeep at approximately 1.5-2 lakhs a year, you'll need a little less with a smaller engine and tyres.
avira_tk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 18:19   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
You'll need a rainy day fund, this was a 50 lakh car in 2017, last year of production, and repairs are expensive. Regular service has economical third party options, even bmw gives a senior citizen discount for older cars, check androdev's 520d thread. GTO's 530d thread pegs annual upkeep at approximately 1.5-2 lakhs a year, you'll need a little less with a smaller engine and tyres.
So around 1 lakh per year. But that’s just in case something major goes wrong, right? General maintenance shouldn’t cost anything upwards of 50k-60k (including insurance), would it? I do not really intend to keep the car for more than 2 or 3 years at max as I’ll be moving out of the country anyways.
It’d be very helpful if someone could also brief me about the road taxes and if they’d be needed to be paid again once the car has done 15 years and requires a re-registration and would it be a big hassle to get it re-registered. That’s in Lucknow I’m talking bout, not NCR ofcourse. Help much appreciated!
Old 3rd March 2024, 20:00   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So around 1 lakh per year. But that’s just in case something major goes wrong, right? General maintenance shouldn’t cost anything upwards of 50k-60k (including insurance), would it? I do not really intend to keep the car for more than 2 or 3 years at max as I’ll be moving out of the country anyways.
It’d be very helpful if someone could also brief me about the road taxes and if they’d be needed to be paid again once the car has done 15 years and requires a re-registration and would it be a big hassle to get it re-registered. That’s in Lucknow I’m talking bout, not NCR ofcourse. Help much appreciated!
This is additional information, drop the plan, you're looking at continuous upkeep, redtape and depreciation. Go for it only if your running is about 15-20k a year. The resale value for a lakh plus running is low, you'll get lowballed by dealers/brokers when you plan to sell it. Unless you run it to the ground, you're wasting your time and money, you're going overseas, there's plenty to time to indulge in high performance Germans there.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 20:45   #131

Quote:
This is additional information, drop the plan, you're looking at continuous upkeep, redtape and depreciation. Go for it only if your running is about 15-20k a year. The resale value for a lakh plus running is low, you'll get lowballed by dealers/brokers when you plan to sell it. Unless you run it to the ground, you're wasting your time and money, you're going overseas, there's plenty to time to indulge in high performance Germans there.
My running will be not too high, closer to 10k kms per year actually. And additionally, if I HAVE to get the timing chain done before selling it, I might as well keep it with me because I don’t see much else going wrong with this engine and transmission. I’ve seen many examples run well near 1.5L kms without major issues.
The thing is, I have to get a vehicle for like an year and a half and the idea of a sports bike is not at all appreciated by my family due to safety concerns and now having driven a 3, I really can’t seem to convince myself to go down from that to anything else. Earlier I was intrigued by mk2 skoda superbs, Octavias and the Jetta but bmw has really set a high benchmark at this point.
If I get my concerns cleared about whether the road tax has to be paid again after the car’s done 15 years, I would not have any issue in keeping it for much longer. Because paying around 4L for road taxes would not make any sense whatsoever.
I also have an e90 320d in sight that I’m soon going to check out, which also seems to be in a cleaner condition. 1st owner, 70k kms and 2011 and an asking price of 6.5L. Those Corona LED rings on the f30 I’m sure I could get it closer to 5L. Anyways will update on here however it goes and might as well start a new thread whenever I do actually bring one of those beauties home.
Cheers!
Old 18th March 2024, 00:20   #132
BHPian

Quote:
This is additional information, drop the plan, you're looking at continuous upkeep, redtape and depreciation. Go for it only if your running is about 15-20k a year.
I am looking for a 3 series as well. But after hearing the horror stories of engines getting detonated due to the timing chain issue I am treading very carefully. But I am attracted at the value the F30 brings to the table. If I had to get one which model year is the most reliable?
Old 18th March 2024, 08:50   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Poweredd_ View Post
I am looking for a 3 series as well. But after hearing the horror stories of engines getting detonated due to the timing chain issue I am treading very carefully. But I am attracted at the value the F30 brings to the table. If I had to get one which model year is the most reliable?
The update in 2014 is supposed to have improved the reliability, I don't know if the youtube presenters are talking about calendar year or model year. The issue isn't as widespread, the underlying reason why this flaw is well documented is because of the lease cars in the west. The long life marketing meant that leased cars ran for upto 30k miles without an oil change, this meant the chain snapped and wrecked the engine. The chain has a flawed design, bmw admits it.

The chain replacement is an engine out job, the high quotes by service centres are quite justified. That said, once the new design chain kit is put in, regular, high quality oil changes should see it last for approximately the lifetime of the vehicle.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 14:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's all about your risk appetite! Do not buy this if you want a reliable workhorse. Buy it only if you want to experiment and are willing to spend about 1-2 lakhs a year and still ok to get stranded if things don't go as planned.

There's a famous saying somewhere here in T-BHP: Fast, cheap and reliable - pick any 2.

Having said that, intermittent revving issue could be because of MAF sensor issue. But you still need to get it investigated thoroughly!
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks