Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 18:11   #136
BHPian

re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

As mentioned by many Magnite is designed much better than Kiger. A blown up version of its small brother car is not the way to attract customers to the showroom. Though the interiors look a bit plush. Would be interested to know if the rear space is comfortable and adequate since the boot space is humungous for this segment. Sonet was leading in this segment until now.

The car does not anyway look like a SUV IMHO. It appears like a hatchback with portions cut from its own brothers and sisters. Pricing again is very crucial because Renault would not want to hurt its own cousin which has just found some footing in terms of its sales figure.
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 18:48   #137
BHPian

re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Autocar says Kiger to start at a lesser price than Magnite

Source: AutocarIndia

With the Renault Kiger having just been unveiled, everyone is now looking forward to the market launch of the SUV, which the French carmaker is slated to do in March 2021.

The Kiger range will start from below Rs 5.49 lakh (ex-showroom)
It will get naturally aspirated and turbocharged engine options.
Equipment levels will be pretty good in the top trim levels.
Renault Kiger: expected pricing

While Renault will only officially announce the prices for the Kiger in March, the carmaker has stated that the SUV will be the most affordable model in its segment. This means that it will have to undercut its cousin, the Nissan Magnite, in terms of price; Nissan’s compact SUV is currently priced from Rs 5.49 lakh (ex-showroom, India). This will help the French carmaker, as it doesn’t have to price the Kiger lower than the original Rs 4.99 lakh launch price of the Magnite.

Renault Kiger: engine and gearbox options

Under the hood, the Kiger will come with two petrol engine options – a 72hp, 1.0-litre, naturally aspirated unit and a 100hp, 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine (same as in the Nissan Magnite). Interestingly, the Kiger’s naturally aspirated engine will get a manual and an AMT automatic gearbox option; the latter is not offered on the Magnite. The Kiger’s turbo-petrol engine will be available with manual and CVT automatic options.

Renault Kiger: features

Coming to the kit on offer, the Kiger will be well-kitted, especially in top-spec form, as it will feature an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, voice commands, a 4-speaker and 4-tweeter Arkamys audio system, keyless entry, push-button start, automatic climate control and ambient lighting. Renault will also offer a wireless charger and an air purifier as part of an accessory pack.

Renault Kiger: competition check

The Renault Kiger will aim to be the ‘most affordable SUV in the segment’, hence it will not only undercut the Nissan Magnite, but also other compact SUVs including the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, Mahindra XUV300, Tata Nexon, Ford EcoSport, Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza and Toyota Urban Cruiser.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 19:41   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser2707 View Post
IMO it will not affect the likes of Sonet & Venue. Their owner base is rock solid. It will however draw potential i20, Polo, Baleno buyers.
Agreed but only for top variants of Sonet & Venue. For the base models, Korean siblings are not at all loaded and Kiger would make much better sense. IMHO its looks better than Venue and as good as Sonet. I would have picked up Kiger if we really didn't wanted the top model Venue. Turbo Petrol would be sufficient for most.

However, 100% agreed with premium hachback segment, this car will dominate over i20, Polo and Baleno. I don't think Renault has a really bad image when it comes to ASS so it's gonna help them. Exciting times ahead for 10L space.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:03   #139
BHPian

New Renault Kiger Design is stunning sharp best among all the entry level Micro-SUV's

1 Litre Turbo Petrol 100 PS power with automatic CVT gearbox shall be a killer combination which can beat most cars within Rs 10 Lacs price point

Seems better value for money than the Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet

Kiger can change fortunes for Renault in India like Duster did before
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:12   #140
BHPian

Kiger is definitely a head turner. I personally don't like the headlights much though. Kiger will fare much better than the Magnite as far as sales numbers are concerned in my opinion. Renault has established itself much better than the Nissan. Is it true that the Kiger has a 405 litre boot!? How did they manage to do that!
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:21   #141
BHPian

Kiger is going to bring in good numbers for Renault, it will dent the sales figure of Nexon, Venue, Sonnet as people will prefer a feature loaded version of Kiger over the base models of these Cars. Kiger may even take away some customers of the premium hatchback segment. The only issue with Renault is that their reach is still limited to Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities.
Old 29th January 2021, 21:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Agreed but only for top variants of Sonet & Venue. For the base models, Korean siblings are not at all loaded and Kiger would make much better sense. IMHO its looks better than Venue and as good as Sonet. I would have picked up Kiger if we really didn't wanted the top model Venue. Turbo Petrol would be sufficient for most.

However, 100% agreed with premium hachback segment, this car will dominate over i20, Polo and Baleno. I don't think Renault has a really bad image when it comes to ASS so it's gonna help them. Exciting times ahead for 10L space.
Agree. Renault-Nissan are trying to beat Koreans at their own game. Features. Koreans started with it but they have, of late, moved features towards higher variants. Their lower variants are too bare-boned. This is where Kiger-Magnite come in.

i20 doesn't need to be dominated by Kiger-Magnite duo. It is already dominated by its own stable-mate Venue (could that be the reason for sudden uptick in Venue sales in Dec.?). Polo buyers are not bothered by features. They don't look at any other car. They seem to head out to VW showroom and drive away in a Polo. Ditto with Baleno. Those wanting Maruti's reliability, peace-of-mind ownership, service network seldom look elsewhere. In a way, they are not wrong. Baleno's inline-4, N.A. engine's smoothness, longevity and reliability is hard to ignore.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 21:51   #143

What is the tyre size of Renault Kiger?
Old 29th January 2021, 22:05   #144
Senior - BHPian

Kiger look is definitely stunning. Just watched Autocar's walk-around video. It is expected that pricing would be competitive. I would still wait to see the safety rating before deciding to take a test drive.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 22:18   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Seems better value for money than the Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet
Don't forget the far better backseat space versus the Korean twins- critical for the middle class one car family man
Old 29th January 2021, 22:21   #146
BHPian

Few things to deduce from the launch:

- Full marks to Renault for keeping the pot boiling and bringing another VFM car after the success of the Triber
- Typical French flair, lovely stubby rear end.
- Excellent boot space, but I wonder if they've moved the rear bench towards the front to free up more space. Will be interesting to see if the rear seat of the Magnite is more spacious than the Kiger.
- Definitely more customer reach than Nissan, so the Kiger should easily outsell the Magnite.

Now for some minor drawbacks:
- No cruise control is a miss.
- Too familiar to the Kwid. Though this shouldn't be a deal breaker for the well informed crowd.
- Interiors, its a personal choice but I found the Kiger has a dash design that looks too busy. Magnite's dash looks clean and cohesive in comparison. Also not a huge fan of touch screens jutting out of the dash.
- Exteriors, again a personal choice, I find the Magnite's design is much cleaner and sharper.
- Renault has to sort out quality control to avoid niggling issues.

Overall, good effort by Renault. Should easily sell more than the Magnite and should pose as a VFM option in an already crowded segment. More choice to the customer means more power to us.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-magnite-vs-kiger-4.jpg  

Last edited by John316_WRC : 29th January 2021 at 22:31. Reason: Typo
John316_WRC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 22:26   #147
BHPian

I've seen the Autocar's walk around video of Kiger. Yes, it does resembles to the Kwid. However, the wider front and rear adds appeal to the car. Not to forget the 205mm GC. On the road, one will not get confused it with the smaller sibling. Inside view renders similar opion. Quite liked it and looks better than the Magnite. A 4 star safety rating would be icing on the cake. What's lacking? Well, a 4 cyl engine producing 80-85 bhp (similar to Venue) should have been provided.

Magnite and Kiger carved out a new sub segment in C-SUV scene with under 6L price tag. Magnite garnered 35k bookings within a short span, and Kiger to follow the same.
Old 29th January 2021, 22:27   #148
BHPian

Are there more pictures of the instrument consoles in any of the reviews or images.

It does not look like there is a Tachometer as it looks like the Heat gauge on the left and the Fuel Gauge on the right.

The screen can have infinite possibilities, but with the price range i would be glad if they have the basics there and is less cartoonish than the magnite interpretation.
Old 29th January 2021, 23:18   #149
BANNED

The Kiger looks very impressive; as is the Magnite !
The Renault design engineers deserve praise for a superb effort. Renault has always been innovative and produced many a market first vehicle world wide.
I wish Renault lots of success with the Kiger.
Old 30th January 2021, 00:09   #150
BHPian

For a second, I thought had seen the triber. But no, this is a beefed up kwid. Oh wait, all Renault cars have the same grill design, right!
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks