Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 20:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
High security number plate means etching on glass?

I thought people here were saying about having something done on the number plates itself?
No, no. Both are different, High security number plates are the ones which are not easy to remove and etching is etching the car registration number on all the glasses of the car.
Old 6th January 2008, 20:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

My friend got it done here, it cost him 1000 bucks, if im not mistaken!
Old 6th January 2008, 21:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

i have seen a couple of security number plates ,but they cost arround 1000 bucks and the guy who owned the car told me there would be a chip in the number plate and the car would be tracked from anywhere blah blah.but the plate dint have that for present and when it was enforced it can be procured for 500 rs.the letters on the number plate was some kind of film with small lettering of govt of india written on them but in loong shot we feel its black.
ram
Old 6th January 2008, 21:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
there would be a chip in the number plate and the car would be tracked from anywhere blah blah.
What's the use when one of the first things that a thief does is remove/change number-plates!??
Old 6th January 2008, 22:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

i have seen some cars, where no. is painted in YELLOW colour on BLACK colour no. plate.. what does that mean??
Old 6th January 2008, 22:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i have seen some cars, where no. is painted in YELLOW colour on BLACK colour no. plate.. what does that mean??
Those are personally driven rented cars if I'm not mistaken, ie, non chauffered.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:31   #52
BANNED

Etching: I remember buying a small kit comprising of a scriber and a stencil for about Pounds 3 in 1991 in the UK. I must have done at least half a dozen cars, takes about 3 minutes per glass. I must add this is not recommended for Laminated Glass.

High security plates was floated by some Min of Transport honchos apparently on the prodding by one manufacturer. Once Maj Gen Khanduri got to know what it was the whole idea was put on the back burner where it stays. How can Bharat Sarkar kill and idea whioch is supposed to have security implications!

These plates were to have a life expectancy of about six years and have special tamper proof attachment. How you work them in India where the registration must change foe every car changing its home to another state is a different issue altogether.I am sure every criminal intending to use false plates would have figured how to bypass this as well.
Old 7th January 2008, 11:39   #53
NIP
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK these plates are referred to as high security 'IND' number plates. These are embossed and have IND inscribed and also have a hologram. They cost Rs.850 per set. Anyone asking for more is ripping you off. Some guys I asked around earlier wanted even Rs.1400 for the same ! In Bangalore, you can contact Shiva Tires (Mr. Anil Grover Ph:99450 56567) next to the HP petrol bunk on New BEL Road for the same.
Old 7th January 2008, 14:14   #54
girishbhat

Can sombody tell me what is this security number plates and how exactly it protects the vehicle?

Old 7th January 2008, 14:36   #55
BHPian

Hmm, the High Security plates have nothing to do with the car's security. The only feature is that you can't fake one yourself, beause you can't reproduce the hologram. Nothing more. Hence my question on who issues the hologram?

I am not sure about the "tamper evident" mounting. The plates I saw are mounted with a regular screw. I don't think it is feasible to make it tamper evident. It is always possible to mount a new plate on a car. The logic is, you can't simply make a new plate yourself.

The story about the "chip" tracking etc are all BS.

I think this scheme came as a gov't scam to benefit some companies. Those who get approved can mint money.

Seeing the responses, I realize that the other TBHPians are as cluless as myself anyways.
Old 7th January 2008, 14:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
No, no. Both are different, High security number plates are the ones which are not easy to remove and etching is etching the car registration number on all the glasses of the car.
A small correction there. I think high security number plates are the one that's issued via a government approved agency. These number plates have a kinda water marked writings. They have a hologram too. Government is try to place a chip or some thing like Bar code so that CAr's details may be stored/coded on it for better security. The latter part is not yet available .
Old 7th January 2008, 14:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
Hmm, the High Security plates have nothing to do with the car's security. The only feature is that you can't fake one yourself, beause you can't reproduce the hologram. Nothing more. Hence my question on who issues the hologram?

I am not sure about the "tamper evident" mounting. The plates I saw are mounted with a regular screw. I don't think it is feasible to make it tamper evident. It is always possible to mount a new plate on a car. The logic is, you can't simply make a new plate yourself.

The story about the "chip" tracking etc are all BS.
You are right on that count.

There are three things that make these special AFAIK
  1. IND & Hologram
  2. Embossing of the Number
  3. Reflecting capability (In one of the version).
The rest of the features are as normal & makes the car as vulnerable to thieves as before.

Some guys have paid as much as 1500/- with the assumption that its issued by authorities & Exclusivity.
Old 7th January 2008, 16:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Some guys have paid as much as 1500/- with the assumption that its issued by authorities & Exclusivity.
Its been issued by a government approved agency.
Old 7th January 2008, 16:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Its been issued by a government approved agency.
Maxbhp, there might be a proposal by the Govt, but these plates issued by all these galli wala garages are not.

If the garages around Shivajinagar (Plates available for Rs. 750 & 15 minutes of waiting) are run/ approved by the Government, Then I think Dawood Ibrahim should be our PM.

In most of the developed countries, The Registration plates are issued by the RTO (authorities) after registration & payment of tax. It comes embossed with the number. In case of damage or replacement of plates, you need to go back to the authorities & get a new one after they make sure you haven't done anything illegal.

AFAIK, RTOs in our country are moving towards this arrangement, but so far nothing concrete has been done.
Old 7th January 2008, 16:58   #60
Team-BHP Support

I got it done through so called guy who is awaiting approval for his firm, apparently nobody in Bangalore is approved yet, but yes they do sell the same spec plates.

I also got 4 snap on blots for fixing the plates, that reminds me i still havent fitted the snap on bolts lol. Costed 750 bucks if i remember correct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks