Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2023, 14:32   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
...If the ride quality had been a bit better, I'd have gone for the 3-door, because of it's smaller size in the city.
I believe the M&M is contantly tuning the suspension. During the last drive on the latest version of 3 door Thar in July 2023, the ride felt comfortable and balanced(stable) on the 3 door Thar with no front dipping during braking. Also they have replaced the ugly silver cylindrical exhaust muffler with something much better looking.

One thing that is becoming apparent is:
1. If one wants a pure long distance tourer with 4x4 capabilities (mostly on bad roads/slipper conditions/hills), Scorpio N is the choice. In fact I've even come across Australian reviews where they are surprised with the excellent handling of the Scorpio N although its a high sprung BoF vehicle and applauded the M&M Engineering for this.
2. If one is looking for an extremely stylish and capable off-roader - the 3 door Thar it is.

The 5 door Thar will be somewhere between the above two, with neither full touring(like ScorpioN) nor full offroading capabilities(like the 3 door Thar). Folks with family pressure who can't buy the 3 door will be going for this mostly. It will be a compromise.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 5th November 2023 at 14:37.
for_cars1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 17:52   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Folks with family pressure who can't buy the 3 door will be going for this mostly. It will be a compromise.
+ Folks who just want to buy it for its looks. I have seen many of my buddies who own a 4x4 Jeep. Many of them haven’t used any of the 4x4 features even once since they bought the car. Guess looks is a big decision point. At least in my case.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2023 at 10:31. Reason: Punctuation.
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 19:32   #513
BHPian

I believe that the majority of non-enthusiastic 3-door Thar (2020/2021 4x4 variants, not low-priced RWD variants) customers will exchange for a 5-door Thar. Low-priced RWD variants would have at least an OTR price gap of 7-9 lacs; they are less likely to upgrade.

The early batch of 3-year-old Thar owners will benefit most, as they will get the best value for the exchange of their old car and the joy of again owning a new Thar. Mortals like me will keep on contemplating the pros and cons of owning Thar till eternity.

I wish Scorpio-N gains two things from 5-door Thar, grab handle on the B-pillar, and that nice-looking seat belt height adjusts on the B-pillar.

Last edited by varunswnt : 6th November 2023 at 19:40.
varunswnt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 02:29   #514
BHPian

Most recent video of the sunroof, which has been already confirmed from previous posts.

swunkjyn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 09:53   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Most recent video of the sunroof, which has been already confirmed from previous posts.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=RBWleVSB...YNhgv4iyXAgaJ4
Strange placement. Neither over the driver nor over the passengers. Size-wise also it looks neither here nor there. Sliding or just Tilt type, i wonder?
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 11:40   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Strange placement. Neither over the driver nor over the passengers. Size-wise also it looks neither here nor there. Sliding or just Tilt type, i wonder?
I agree with you and I was hoping something similar to ScorpioN. Planning was there but it's not been executed well with 5 Door Thar. To me this seems like a Production ready model with all the bells and whistles. Maybe 26th January is the planned launch (that's my presumption).
swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 19:25   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=RBWleVSB...YNhgv4iyXAgaJ4
I am hoping they don't force this sunroof for 4wd petrol variants. For me this feature is just useless and an additional cost burden on customer. Though every car maker has taken this route in recent times.
ChauhanSaurabh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 20:09   #518
BHPian

I was watching Thar's review by Australian media and they were driving it in Mahindra's Chennai facility. They were given access to the plant's production process and in one of the videos , I noticed a Thar but with a different interior tone and larger screen (than the current 3-door one) preparation. It must be Thar 5 door's interior. Do notice new wiper stalks with extra toggles (maybe for new features), the reappearance of dual charging ports, and maybe even digital dials.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20231206-2.38.56-am.png  

AMG1 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 02:24   #519
Senior - BHPian

If the 5 door variant has speaker placement on the doors, wonder why the speakers in the pic are mounted on the dashboard giving very less room for a bigger glovebox.

This could very well be the new dashboard for 3-door facelift with speakers on the dash
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 01:20   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this arrangement of sunroof makes more sense than the conventional placement of single pane sunroof? Dual pane sunroof is a different thing altogether. In case of single pane sunroof, passengers in second row has limited visibility in the traditional arrangement, but placing it in between two rows gives a better experience for second row passengers. I’m in no way encouraging people peeping out while driving. Just for viewing from inside, this position makes more sense according to me. I may be wrong and Mahindra is known for some of it’s quirky designs and this may end up in that list as well!
bwildrd#1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 15:57   #521
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door interior spied; touchscreen, sunroof & more

The Mahindra 5-door has been spotted testing once again. This time, we shall look at some of the interior details of the upcoming SUV.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-download-20231218t155526.737.jpg

As you can see, the test car featured in these spy images is equipped with a sunroof, which is likely to be offered as an option. It also has a pair of speakers mounted on the roof, similar to the Scorpio N and XUV700.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-download-20231218t155517.448.jpg

Mahindra is also likely to equip the Thar 5-door with a larger touchscreen infotainment system. Currently, the Thar 3-door is offered with a 7-inch head unit, which could be replaced with a 10-inch unit. The SUV also gets a new steering wheel and heavily bolstered front seats.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-download-20231218t155533.337.jpg

The Thar 5-door will be offered with the same engine options as the 3-door version. These include a 2.2-litre diesel producing 130 BHP and 300 Nm and a 2.0-litre petrol that makes 150 BHP and 300-320 Nm. Both engines are likely to be offered with 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic transmissions.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-download-20231218t155542.675.jpg

Source: Carversal

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 20:01   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door interior spied; touchscreen, sunroof & more

Attachment 2545544

Rear door appears to be really cramped.
CA Dhruv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 22:01   #523
Senior - BHPian

As per motorbeam, Mahindra has trademarked 7 names.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6797.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6798.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6799.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6800.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6801.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6802.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_6803.jpeg  

rakesh_r is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 22:05   #524
Senior - BHPian

Well count me out if it is going to offered with the same 130hp diesel as the 3 door. I was hoping it would come with the 180hp tune from the XUV700. Looks like they are planning on positioning this under the Scorpio-N after all.
Cresterk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 09:12   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
As per motorbeam, Mahindra has trademarked 7 names.
It should remain as THAR in order not to dilute brand name of THAR. Still if differentiation is required, THAR 'GORKHA' would be appropriate and fitting tribute to our GORKHA regiment daredevilry. Also it will be our native name and aggressive name.

Last edited by VRSriram : 19th December 2023 at 09:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks