Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2021, 20:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing

Ford's successful and competent compact-SUV is all set to receive the second facelift. With this move, Ecosport also joins the exclusive club of vehicles that have got more than one facelift, like the Toyota Innova, Renault Duster, etc.

This is an attempt to keep the Ecosport looking fresh until its replacement arrives - which is around 2023, as per reports.

Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing-20210627_123050.jpg

Changes are limited to the front bumper and alloy wheels. The DRLs move to the bumper, around the squarish housing that houses a round fog lamps.

No changes to the rest of the car, the interiors are the same as the existing car too.

Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing-20210627_112411.jpg

Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing-20210627_112526.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality image of the front. I had parked at a safe distance ahead of the cars to click these images. After seeing the unpleasant reactions of Tata HBX test mule driver, I did not want to get embarrassed in public

These are probably world exclusive images of the 2021 Facelift of Ecosport. Mods, please add team-bhp watermarks.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2021 at 22:03. Reason: Watermarks added
aravind.anand is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 21:09   #2
BHPian

re: Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing

Thank you for the pics @aravind.anand!

Front end looks really aggressive with the new headlamps as well as the big, quite Endeavour-esque grille!

The DRLs seem to be as per this article. I hope Ford launches it soon as my decision is strictly between Kushaq and EcoSport.
chautob0t is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 21:09   #3
BHPian

A lot more is expected from Ford to stay relevant in current market. A mere re-position of DRLs and alloy swap won't cut it. I hope they introduce more features in interior at-least. Sync from mid variants would do wonders.
Funny is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 21:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the exclusive pictures

A mere DRL change won’t keep the now long-in-the-tooth EcoSport fresh in the market!

Let’s hope Ford can make the Sync 3 available in the mid-spec variants as well. Also the Diesel engine deserves a higher tune now, to keep afloat in the very very competitive market!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 27th June 2021 at 21:41.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 21:41   #5
BHPian

The looks remain largely unchanged except for the L shaped DRL , alloys and a black grille. What Ford needs to do the most is to localize Sync 3 and re launch it the way it did back on Nov 9 2017, add ESP/TC standard on all variants, give a diesel AT and include cruise control from Titanium variant onwards and all AT variants. That way it'll stay more relevant for another 4 years.
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 21:42   #6
BHPian

Dear Mods, please add Team BHP watermark immediately. Pics are going to be viral soon!

Great scoop Aravind
Deepsp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 23:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

There was a talk of moving out the present DV5 diesel, which was jointly developed between Ford & PSA, and substituting it with Ford's "Panther" diesel engine series. The 2.0L "Panther" already powers the Endeavour. A 1.5L version of the "Panther" diesel with around 120ps is apparently in the works for the EcoSport. Now whether that engine is coming in this minor facelift or in the 2023 major facelift is anyone's guess.
The reasons for ditching the venerable & trusty DV5 is to remain competitive in the market against the slew of newcomers. Also, the DV5 uses a Lean NOx Trap, (LNT), for exhaust after treatment for BS-6 purposes. From 2023, India is moving to BS-6 + Real-Time Driving Emissions norms, for which LNT may not be the best available option. To support an SCR+DPF configuration, with competitive power output figures, apparently the "Panther" series is better.
arjab is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 01:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Ford's successful and competent compact-SUV is all set to receive the second facelift.

This is an attempt to keep the Ecosport looking fresh until its replacement arrives - which is around 2023, as per reports.

Changes are limited to the front bumper and alloy wheels. The DRLs move to the bumper, around the squarish housing that houses a round fog lamps.

No changes to the rest of the car, the interiors are the same as the existing car too.
Unless and untill there are serious feature upgrades, right from 'Trend', Ford will be fighting only for the crumbs left from the Compact-SUV pie.

The world has changed from the time Ecosport was first launched. Biggest proof was 1L price-cut immediately after Brezza launch. Since then, the Hyundai-KIA twins have jointly cornered the biggest chunk. Even the 'mighty' Maruti is playing catch up with single petrol engine Brezza. Add to that Nexon, XUV3OO; Ford will find hard to keep going till the next proper replacement arrives in 2023.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 08:39   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing

Great scoop! Thanks for sharing. Ford should be careful as the EcoSport is fast becoming the 'VW Polo' of its segment. These two cars have a lot in common = old, still competent, facelifts & updates every year, vast range of engines have been offered, solid build etc. And also a disinterested global HQ! The EcoSport used to be my top recommendation in the segment, but it is now a no.3 or no.4 at best (among newer cars, I love the Sonet, XUV300 & Nexon).

Going on flogging such old products does take some cachet away from the brand.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 09:17   #10
BANNED

A mere facelift, even if they change the interior design too, won't help a lot any more. Not even a new set of engines (Any way, engines matter mostly to enthusiasts only) or a sync 3, the car needs to look different from all angles now.

The silhouette needs to change now. As GTO said, it is becoming the 'VW Polo', and that was fine 5 years back - not today. The chassis is good, space utilization is also fine, engines are best in class, particularly the petrol one, but it's high time the shape needs to change. The uncle remains the uncle, no matter if he is spotted in a kurta in Kedarnath or in colorful tees at Goa. If I have to buy a raised hatchback today with a good motor, it will be Ecosport only (For that money, Hyundai gives you an i20 or Venue with a 1.2), but if I have to buy something for carrying even 4 people in comfort, still being under 4 meter - I will look for other options.

It's competent, I agree. It's loads of fun to drive (petrol), I agree. But Ecosport has a few basic issues also which require addressing, Ford had the advantage of "take it or leave it" 7 years back, not today. Space inside needs to be better, rear AC is needed - and above all, that side profile needs to change now, and so does that rear. Right from the seats to interior to exterior, everything needs to change to make it look fresh again. Ecosport has become sizeable enough of a brand now that if they bring a new and better vehicle, people will sit up and take a note of it for sure.

Last edited by VKumar : 28th June 2021 at 09:22.
VKumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 09:43   #11
BHPian

The spare wheel's mounted on the tailgate again!
Are they bringing it back?
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 10:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

While everyone is disappointed with the scoop, I am actually glad, this shows Ford is here to stay (Atleast for now).

Only surprise I wish for is an AT box for the diesel variant.
giri1.8 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 10:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
The spare wheel's mounted on the tailgate again!
Are they bringing it back?
It never went away. There's only one SE variant in which the spare wheel is not available. All other variants get the spare wheel.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 10:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

While the EcoSport has been a fairly good package and holds itself well even today, a mere facelift won't be enough now that this generation has been on sale for very close to a decade. Being lazy with upgrades is a luxury only Maruti Suzuki can afford, and even they are prompt with new generations.

Much of EcoSport's success depends on Ford's vision, rather than the car itself; considering equipment is randomly changed across variants frequently. I'll admit I'm not very optimistic on seeing Ford bringing stellar products for/in India, although I'd very much like them to.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 10:20   #15
BHPian

To be honest I am a bit disappointed with this attempt from Ford. I was expecting a proper updated version. Maybe pumped up dimensions, panoromic sunroof and other goodies to give Creta/Seltos a run for their money. I hope they have updated the interiors properly. This looks like a half hearted attempt from Ford to save their face.

With runaway success of Magnite/Kiger and Sonet threatening the sales of Ecosport, Ford should have to been more proactive in launching updated Ecosport.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks