Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 15:37   #91
BHPian

Re: Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwat View Post
Talking to them in-depth, I further realised it is only vehicles within a run-in of 3000- 3500 kms, have this DPF issue or as they say the maximum number of vehicles (~1000 Kms) that have reached them so far! I myself can relate to the same as I have seen these warning signs around 600 Kms and not at 2600 Kms! Again, this needs to be further verified by fellow BHPians here!
Got my car delivered in March 2021, been suffering with the DPF and power loss after my first service 2500 Kms. My car's PCM is at V 1.6, however still the power loss/jerking occurs randomly. Also the DPF issue reoccurs within 300-400 Kms of city drive (Infact a mixed highway + city drive). My car has been identified for a recall, but ford is busy selling new cars with the updated parts and my recall date is being pushed without providing any reasons. I have an email from ford customer service mentioning the parts need to be changed with dates.

Another fun fact : I got my DPF cleared using the ODB at the service station & brought down the soot level to 0%. The technician also said he cleared the DTC. However the DPF warning refused to go, apparently i was told by the technician that you have to drive on the highway and clear it anyway. The OBD procedure roughly guzzles a quarter tank of diesel, since the car was revving at 2000RPM and for the exhaust gas temp to reach 600deg it took a while.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2021 at 21:51. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 27th October 2021, 14:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Hi: may I know what's the source of this, apart from facebook/whatsapp groups?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi4Life View Post
+1
My FASS/dealer also appears to be clueless about any recall. I forsee a prolonged voluntary follow-up required by affected customers, such as myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Interesting. What is the source of this information? Have not received any such news from Ford/ ASC on this.

To clean the DPF, one needs to drive the vehicle at around 60 km/h and 2500 RPM for about 25 minutes. This, as one could imagine, is not a feasible solution in everyday driving conditions. As a result, the diesel cars often show the DPF error on the instrument cluster.

Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparency-20211027_141734.jpg

Quote:
This image shows that Ford has taken cognizance of the matter. It has officially recalled this vehicle to inspect the DPF of the car. Ford also informs the owner that there is no impact of this on the vehicle. If you are experiencing engine oscillations at low speeds, the reason could be poor combustion. This could potentially expose the DPF and damage it. There are no safety implications of this. However, your car might start to emit higher polluting exhaust gases than normal. This will infringe the India Emissions Regulatory body. Hence, the vehicle will be inspected by Ford to ensure that it isn’t the case. This is a great opportunity to get your Ford cars checked for such kind of issue.
Source: https://www.carblogindia.com/ford-dp...-recall-india/
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:45   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
To clean the DPF, one needs to drive the vehicle at around 60 km/h and 2500 RPM for about 25 minutes. This, as one could imagine, is not a feasible solution in everyday driving conditions. As a result, the diesel cars often show the DPF error on the instrument cluster.

Attachment 2224642

Source: https://www.carblogindia.com/ford-dp...-recall-india/
In certain vehicles like mine many of the exahust system components , the engine head , gasket, timing belt, sensors etc ... were replaced. However even after this change, I got the DPF warning with < 400Kms of city drive. Earlier it was nearly impossible to clear the warning even with long highway drives (Chennai - Bangalore), but after this component change it is much better. Also the engine shuddering and knocking has stopped (its been almost a month now).

I have done the PCM update a few days back. The engine feels smooth now even at low RPM / Speeds. I hope this will increase the duration for the DPF cleaning. Fingers Crossed.
bharathgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 18:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Ford service campaign to resolve EcoSport DPF issues

Earlier this year, there were reports of BS6 Diesel Ford EcoSport owners facing diesel particulate filter (DPF) issues with their cars. We had even reported that Ford had suspended deliveries until July 15, 2021, while the engineers tried to find out the root cause of the issue. However, Ford neither acknowledged it nor announced an official recall.

Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparency-inshot_20211117_111504188.jpg

It seems Ford has finally found a solution to the DPF troubles and issued a voluntary emission recall.

The carmaker has notified customers to get their vehicles inspected at their nearest Ford service station if they're experiencing engine rpm oscillations at low speeds. According to Ford, this could be due to poor combustion, which might damage the diesel particulate filter.

Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparency-inshot_20211117_111724548.jpg

The inspection will only address vehicles reporting emission limits higher than those regulated under standard test conditions. To resolve the issue, Ford will replace the emission reduction components of the exhaust system and update the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software. It would take less than half a day to rectify the problem.

Customers are requested to book an appointment by providing the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) at the earliest.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th November 2021 at 18:43.
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 21:42   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin's 2021 ES Diesel has recently started showing DPF errors, though he has been using it on highways but at steady cruising speeds. He has now received a call for replacement of some parts.
Old 18th November 2021, 19:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My cousin's 2021 ES Diesel has recently started showing DPF errors, though he has been using it on highways but at steady cruising speeds. He has now received a call for replacement of some parts.
Ford has just changed parts worth a lakh, under recall warranty for my 2021 Ecosport diesel. It mainly includes replacement of DPF and catalytic converter assembly which costs around 80k and HEGO sensor, topped up with a PCM software update.

I had power-loss issues in lower gears especially in lower RPM, intermittent higher injector clatter under load, DPF warnings and momentary power loss while releasing the clutch in 1st gear. The SC say that the recall is mainly focusing on decreasing DPF warning frequency and increasing the DPF regeneration.

Haven't driven the car extensively to rule out DPF warning frequency, but all other issues remain. They also think that there might be further hardware updates down the line.
thoma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:16   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

The DPF assembly in the ES: was changed in my cousin's 2021 model today.

Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparency-img20211122wa0005.jpg
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:21   #98

I own 2021 Ecosport (Titanium diesel) for which I got the mail for recall. Contacted ford dealer regarding the same and they gave me appointment after two days. Left the car in morning and got it back in the evening after replacement of parts and PCM software update. Cost of the parts alone comes to more than 1 lac as per service advisor.

Major parts which were replaced were catalytic converter with DPF assembly, HEGO sensor and required clamps and hardware for the same. PCM software update is done online and takes more than 2 hours as per ford personnel and it really changed the behavior of the car.

Main difference I feel after the recall is reduced engine noise and better drivability in low RPM. Driven the car for around 400 Kms (70% city and 30% highway) after that and till date automatic regeneration is not triggered by ECU. Before the update my car used to perform auto regeneration in every 150 to 200 Kms (you can feel it because during auto regeneration engine becomes sluggish and idle RPM increased to 900, also instantaneous fuel efficiency reading is decreased too much in same driving condition). Ford is confident that DPF clogging issues will be stopped after the parts changed. Will update if DPF clogging issue is faced again.

By the way, this is my first post in Team BHP, so please excuse me for any error. Feeling really excited to be a part of this prestigious community.
Pratiksm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 01:09   #99

I got my Freestyle diesel back on 26th Dec2020, many people told me not to buy it, but still I went with this car. I have been facing the power loss issue since the second day of my ownership. I have visited my FASS 10 times during this span of ownership. I even had an accident once, during overtaking in the highway the engine power suddenly vanished and engine braking started. During my 10k kms during March 21 service they said the changed a the wiring in my car, and the issue vanished for almost 6000kms, did a road trip to Darjeeling and Sikkim, no hiccups at all, multiple short trips to mandarmani, malda, krishnanagar, then at 16382kms, during July beginning FASS recalled after I filed a case at consumer forum back in 2021 March. They said they are gonna change some parts from engine headers, exhaust manifold etc. They said they changed parts worth over a lakh, and yet the problem again started, every damn time I take the car on highway, the car starts jerking beyond third gear, there's a lot of engine braking even when I floor the accelerator. Have been stuck with a car that can very well become a threat on single lane highway. At 18.5K kms I am thinking of selling this car away. So far it has been a very bad experience with ford.
tmtitash12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 09:42   #100
BHPian

I feel bad for the Ford owners, more so for those who purchased their rides in the last couple of years. Owning a new car of a brand that has exited the market is horrible feeling.

The spare-parts availability should be OK for a couple of years. the situation will change once the dealers start shutting down the service centers.

What happens to customers with extended warranty and no accessible service centers?

I, as a Chevrolet owner depend on on-line platforms for spares. Thankfully, I am able to source whatever needed replacement so far. Only issue is there is no time frame assurance to the delivery of parts. I had to wait for a part for 3 weeks as it went out of stock after I paid the money.

Last edited by Mafia : 27th December 2021 at 09:43.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 19:42   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtitash12 View Post
Have been stuck with a car that can very well become a threat on single lane highway. At 18.5K kms I am thinking of selling this car away. So far it has been a very bad experience with ford.
It is really sad to know that the issue is re-occuring. In reply to my legal notice Ford mentioned that this is a one time replacement, which is not correct since this is a manufacturing defect. A few of us are taking help from a consumer activist group. Did you approach them again for replacing the parts? I hope they are replacing it again?

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd January 2022 at 17:55. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
bharathgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:24   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathgr View Post
It is really sad to know that the issue is re-occuring. In reply to my legal notice Ford mentioned that this is a one time replacement, which is not correct since this is a manufacturing defect. A few of us are taking help from a consumer activist group. Did you approach them again for replacing the parts? I hope they are replacing it again?
They have replaced the exhaust manifold for the second time now, so far the car is running fine, but if it shows any more hiccups, I'll be selling it away. Never had this bad experience with our 1st gen i10, second gen i20 or the Innova. If ford wants to sell their premium vehicles in india, they really need to step up their game and fix the issues with the cars already sold.
Old 6th January 2022, 21:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

I spotted 2 Ecosport and a freestyle Diesel with testing equipments, few times before New year, they all had TN19 temporary plates. Hope Ford is doing something to end this headache to the buyers.

Is there anyway to delete DPF all together? This might be better than letting these brand new cars end up in scrap, even from environmental point of view.
Old 24th March 2022, 00:29   #104
BHPian

My Ford ecosport has received the DPF assembly replacement recall with pcm update.
Before that I had never faced any issues, whatsoever.
Post replacement, I've already recieved a regeneration message within 300kms of city driving.
Now I'm concerned about the car getting into limp mode.
I'm a student, doing MBA and don't always have the leisure to take the car one highways. Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparency-img_20220320_200243.jpg
ron82x3 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 16:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

My friends Ecosport had its CatCon replaced. All was well for 1-2 months and now the DPF issues have re-occurred again. The car literally limps when climbing flyovers and he has to put it in first gear to make it drivable.

It seems Ford is buying time by giving stop gap measures. I really pray they are working to find a solution.

Ford has no answers to this massive headache, asking owners to drive 60kms to clear soot is like punishing them for buying a Ford product.
Its high time all owners should come up together and bang Ford's doors hard for answers.

Last edited by silverado : 11th April 2022 at 16:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks