Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 14:20   #76
BHPian

Re: Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparenc

Visited my Ford showroom yesterday to find out latest updates on this issue(My Ford Freestyle diesel was to come towards August end).SA informed me that Ford has switched to a Bosch product in the DPF assembly, in place of defective product by some other company that was in use in vehicles manufactured between Feb'21-May'21. The vehicles now coming from the plant already are being dispatched with Bosch component. The past owners(who had complained to Ford regarding power issue) have been mailed about some hardware update as well, due by August end(Whatsapp group info).
As usual, no public announcement by Ford about any of this. Have already thought of shift to the petrol version of my car- the peace of mind scores over driving pleasure in this case.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 18th August 2021 at 14:41.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:52   #77

Re: Ford India struggles with DPF problems in 1.5L TDCI | Poorly handled & utter lack of transparenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.thm View Post
Welcome Sandy!

Congratulations on your booking. I booked Ecosport D for my friend at 24th July and the waiting period is 120 days, SA promised he can deliver within 90 days. However, I feel the waiting period is long for an Ecosport. Also, when did you get booking ID after booking? Asking this because still we haven't received booking ID even after 17 days.

Thanks.
I booked mine on 6th July, got booking id on 7th July. Cancelled booking 17th August yesterday . After the XUV 700 launch and the MG Astor AI on the way I felt I should wait a bit and then decide on the purchase.
SandyN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Aldrin Fernandez for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hi Team,

I am also an unfortunate customer who bought an EcoSport (manufactured in April) and is now struggling with the exhaust filter issue. I have gone through the Team-BHP post on the same issue faced by other customers.

I have written multiple e-mails to Ford but every time they ask to take the car to the service centre. Just 150-200 km after taking the car out from the service centre, the warnings pop up again. Please share any info regarding the same. Will there be any recall from Ford?
RahulNagaraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:12   #79
BHPian

After multiple complaints, was able to catch hold of a representative from Ford,Chennai. The customer representative mentioned that this behaviour is expected (as per the manual) and we are expected to take the car to the service station. However she was unable to explain at what RPM the car must be driven and why highway drives by owners is not able to clear the issue. After a lenghty call, she is now referring to her seniors (Which i doubt will yield any results). In short there is nothing official on a recall or fix from Ford on this issue.

I am now contemplating on taking legal action against ford.
bharathgr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 13:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathgr View Post
After multiple complaints, was able to catch hold of a representative from Ford,Chennai. The customer representative mentioned that this behaviour is expected (as per the manual) and we are expected to take the car to the service station. However she was unable to explain at what RPM the car must be driven and why highway drives by owners is not able to clear the issue. After a lenghty call, she is now referring to her seniors (Which i doubt will yield any results). In short there is nothing official on a recall or fix from Ford on this issue.

I am now contemplating on taking legal action against ford.
After multiple levels of escalation, the ford regional service manager accepted that there is a problem with the power delivery mechanism. I have got an email confirmation from ford, that they are procuring parts for the power loss issue and this must be available by 4-Sep-2021 in their warehouse and by 7-Sep-2021 they will contact me.

Ford claims (over phone) that the fix for the power loss issue will also fix the nagging issue of not able to clear the filter overload warning (as per the manual). I have asked them to clarify this claim with their technical team, since even after clearing the DTC using OBD & at 0% soot level in the DPF (at their service centre), the warning refuses to go.

Also as noticed by many owners the issue of reoccurance of the warning within 200-300 kms of city drive, is still not answered or addressed by them. Atleast there is some progress from ford on this, but am still keeping all my legal options open.
bharathgr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 00:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

BS6 TDCI call back officially started by Ford. It will be based on VIN and also on priority basis. Those who reported the jerk, less power, sluggishness officially through SC will get an official call from Ford to visit the assigned SC. You will get the call only after despatch of components from Ford warehouse to your ASC. The process includes both hardware and software. Depending on the severity, the vehicle will be classified into 3 categories. There is clearly defined rectification flow chart in each category. Mainly the engine head unit, catalytic converter, Oxygen sensor etc are the components involved in the process. Total process will be free of cost and will take upto 3 days to complete. After doing these corrections, all the issues will be resolved. So those who reported the issues with Ford need to wait for the call and proceed as per their directions because all the components are coming based on VIN.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 1st September 2021 at 00:53.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:06   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Ford TDCI call back officially started by Ford.
Hi: may I know what's the source of this, apart from facebook/whatsapp groups?
Enquired regarding this the first thing today morning at my showroom- they denied any knowledge regarding this.
Nikhil Beke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Hi: may I know what's the source of this, apart from facebook/whatsapp groups?
Enquired regarding this the first thing today morning at my showroom- they denied any knowledge regarding this.
+1
My FASS/dealer also appears to be clueless about any recall. I forsee a prolonged voluntary follow-up required by affected customers, such as myself. Any FOC work that involves a recall is not going to go down well at the dealer level (especially Ford India), considering the downward slide in their product portfolio/general apathy for the Indian market.
TDCi4Life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 00:37   #84
BHPian

Well, this seems serious: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ecos...92922/?app=fbl

Let's hope the service centres are adept at doing a major engine rehaul!

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 3rd September 2021 at 00:38.
Old 3rd September 2021, 01:49   #85
BHPian

Have driven a Ford TDCI BS4 between 2014 and 2016. Ganges Ford Kolkata serviced Ford did not cross Raipur, Chattisgarh. Had to tow the car to GK Ford, Raipur. They gave me a bill of 2.5 Lakhs for repairs. Instead of repairing I sold the car at a throwaway price, Spending money flying between Mumbai and Raipur then. I had raised several complaints with Ford Chennai. They were pathetic. If GTO and others remember I had made a big hue and cry about Ford their products and pathetic service even to the extend of saying to both Ford Chennai lady rep and here that the best Ford vehicles in India were the Ford garbage carrying trucks in Mumbai of the 70's still working perfectly. I was censured then for making this statement here. The point I wish to make here is that be careful dealing with Ford Chennai or its Service Centers. At the drop of the hat they would blame the customer for any defects or problem. Keep all records, all proofs and emails and raise complaints at appropriate places.
SafariMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
BS6 TDCI call back officially started by Ford. It will be based on VIN and also on priority basis. Those who reported the jerk, less power, sluggishness officially through SC will get an official call from Ford to visit the assigned SC. You will get the call only after despatch of components from Ford warehouse to your ASC.
Interesting. What is the source of this information? Have not received any such news from Ford/ ASC on this.
Old 4th September 2021, 09:27   #87
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Depending on the severity, the vehicle will be classified into 3 categories. There is clearly defined rectification flow chart in each category. Mainly the engine head unit, catalytic converter, Oxygen sensor etc are the components involved in the process. Total process will be free of cost and will take upto 3 days to complete. After doing these corrections, all the issues will be resolved.
If the above information is true
1. 3 days one has to spare car at FASS ? That's too much. Will Ford pay cab charges per day?
2. Dealers should be adequately trained so that they shouldn't botch up any of these 3 categories if a recall is done.

Last edited by KPR : 4th September 2021 at 09:28.
Old 4th September 2021, 10:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

If one doesn't care about the warranty, a DPF delete and a software error removal in the ECU (an ECU tuner should be able to do) can be thought about as a permanent measure to get rid of this issue.

I am sure it will still pass the Indian PUC check since there is just one parameter measured and that's the light absorption coefficient (in simple words, the 'blackness' of the smoke). For a relatively new diesel car even without a DPF, the values measured are very minimal and are nowhere near the allowed limit. My 4-year-old pre-BS6 EGR deleted car measured a value of 0.073 which is way below the limit allowed as per PUC norms.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th September 2021 at 10:52.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 13:33   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Interesting. What is the source of this information? Have not received any such news from Ford/ ASC on this.
The recall is happening. I got an email last month stating they will have ordered the parts and will change it this week. Today got another email stating the parts will be availble by month end. Dosent seem like a systematic VIN based recall, looks a lot disorganised & unplanned. The issue they are fixing is the Engine Jerking issue.
bharathgr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 19:35   #90

I just got my DPF warning cleared from the service center yesterday. Solution - long drive covering close to 50 kms with the technician!

I had to visit the service centre since the notification constantly occurred irrespective of me driving on the highway for a similar distance! In the interim of the visit, I had a candid chat with many senior staff as I knew them over a decade of owning Ford Figo. Sharing my two cents of the conversation here;

1. The DPF warning occurs when the ECU detects a soot level beyond 8%. Mine was at 15% when checked!

2. The soot level can only be cleared by driving between 60-80 kmph at 4th or 5th gear.

3. While driving, and when the notification flashes, we should not press "OK" and continue to drive as prescribed above in hope for the series of notifications to disappear automatically! The time taken for the same depends on the soot percentage! It took us close to 50 kms of steady driving to bring down the soot level to 4%.

4. If the soot level reaches a particular threshold, then the engine malfunction light would occur. Here the technicians would manually reset the DPF sensor in order to ensure no consequential damages are caused by the ECU and follow the above steps 1- 3 untill the notification vanishes!

The whole process looks ridiculous for many reasons as you can think of the availability of an open road to drive steadily between 60-80 kmph, the time required to cover the distance and not to mention the fuel! It's bizarre to see Ford India has resorted to such a solution and advising the technicians at the service centre to follow the same!

However, I was also told there will be an update soon to resolve this and will reach us as and when Ford India decides to pull their socks and work towards betterment!

Meanwhile, I double-checked the news of the BS6 vehicle recall and it turns out to be true for vehicles manufactured in 2020 alone! Can anyone here who is in the pipeline of the process verify the same! Apparently, I was told these cases were escalated by the service centres during the first wave of pandemic and it is only now they hear a solution which is the change of sensors, the engine head and the drive! The technicians at the service centre are going bonkers driving the vehicle in anticipation to bring down the soot level! I was further told, the overall incurred cost is close to 3.5 Lakhs and Ford India is absorbing the same. Nevertheless, I believe it is not a price paid to the emotional damage to the owners going through the anxiety of their engines being opened and much more of the involved process!

With this, I am only more anxious about the fact when the anticipated update will be released that will change the involved solution around the existing DPF issue. BTW, I happen to get a PCM software updated to V6.0 for my Ecosport manufactured in April 2021 that potentially addresses the engines being unresponsive, jerking or sluggish at particular times of driving. Sharing the experience here (Software update causes Ford EcoSport Diesel delivery delays)

Also, many service centres within city limits are not entertaining the vehicles with DPF issue since they do no have the urban infrastructure around them to drive the vehicle as prescribed by Ford India. Hence the owners have to bear the consequences

Talking to them in-depth, I further realised it is only vehicles within a run-in of 3000- 3500 kms, have this DPF issue or as they say the maximum number of vehicles (~1000 Kms) that have reached them so far! I myself can relate to the same as I have seen these warning signs around 600 Kms and not at 2600 Kms! Again, this needs to be further verified by fellow BHPians here!
witwat is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks