Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 07:18   #166
BHPian

Re: Maruti sleeping at the wheel | Where are the new car launches? | Why is Maruti missing new trend

Maruti Suzuki also is not very gung-ho about EV. They plan to launch EV vehicles only after 2025. In the liberalized Indian car market, Maruti had advantage at that time as the first mover with better cars (compared to Ambassador/Premier Padmini etc). Now if it starts dragging its feet on EV, it might not have the same success as earlier.

Maruti Suzuki to launch EVs only after 2025: Bhargava

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki NSE 0.81 % India will launch electric vehicles in the country only after 2025 as demand for such vehicles at the moment is less and it would like to sell around 10,000 units a month whenever it enters the electric mobility space, company Chairman RC Bhargava said on Wednesday.

He, however, said the company has not given up on plans to enter electric mobility in India but the timeline would be decided by its parent Suzuki Motor Corporation.

Asked when could Maruti Suzuki launch its EV, he said,"If I have to give you an outside date it would be post 2025."

To a query on the rising petrol prices and its impact on demand for CNG vehicles, he said out of over 2 lakh current pending orders, majority are for CNG models.

Maruti Suzuki India Managing Director and CEO Kenichi Ayukawa said in order to meet the demand for CNG vehicles, the company will increase production for such vehicles while it is also working on plans to offer CNG options in more models in the next few years.
sanchari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:09   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti sleeping at the wheel | Where are the new car launches? | Why is Maruti missing new trend

Hopefully this strategy of getting an EV post 2025 doesn't turn into what Bajaj missed out on by not identifying demand and giving their focus on the scooter market, which was captured by Activa from Honda.
Old 28th October 2021, 11:25   #168
Senior - BHPian

Maruti seems to have its focus firmly on the Tier2-3 cities and the rural demand. I don't think they have a compelling proposition for the GenZ or urban crowds yet. S-Cross lost its sheen, Ignis was priced over ambitiously and Swift is decades old.
Is that why they aren't keen on the EV space for now? Charging infrastructure needs electricity in dominant markets for MSIL and unless that is guaranteed, it makes no sense to install it. Besides, the technology is still some years away from maturity and affordability which means Maruti doesn't want to invest on it right now. Probably when Toyota-Suzuki come up with the tech and the time is right it is easier to piggy back and adopt it.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 28th October 2021 at 11:26.
Old 28th October 2021, 11:53   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Hopefully this strategy of getting an EV post 2025 doesn't turn into what Bajaj missed out on by not identifying demand and giving their focus on the scooter market, which was captured by Activa from Honda.
I don't think Maruti is bothered much.
There maximum sales are below 10 lac bracket. Very few EV's will come under that bracket if you want a good range. Not everyone can buy cars above 10 lac and the way prices are increasing for everything this may not change for a long time. So, they will happily do volumes below 10 lacs and will introduce EV's only when proper infrastructure is in place and their targeted market is looking to buy it. From their point of view it's a smart move.
Old 28th October 2021, 12:30   #170
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Maruti's mindset of revamping existing cars or launching new has vanished ! They are just chugging along with their existing portfolio. EV or Not, unless the launches happen they will keep market share only in the mass market section (< 10 lacs). Indian market is slowly maturing and the 10 - 20 lacs bracket is an exciting proposition (Maruti does not have much presence here).
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:33   #171
Senior - BHPian

Mainstream media is also covering the topic. Hope Maruti wakes up.

Maruti Suzuki reports 32 percent sales dip, Five reasons why it's not the favourite carmaker in India anymore.

Quote:
Data shows that Maruti Suzuki, that once enjoyed a market share more than 50 percent, has failed to touch the sales mark ever since pandemic has hit the market. We decode few reasons why Maruti Suzuki is losing the ground and what's in the pipeline for the automaker-
  • Limited product launches
  • No new SUV
  • Lack of technology
  • Chip shortage
  • Rising fuel prices, No diesel engine option
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:55   #172
BHPian

Feel like Maruti is waiting for Toyota to help them deliver something new while Toyota is looking at Maruti for some cheap cars for rebadging
Can't fathom what exactly is causing this R&D and policy paralysis in Maruti.
It can't be plain laziness, Maruti in past have been reactive to market. Back when diesels were the craze they somehow managed to get them, Nexa products were also step in right direction. Now everything seems to be on hold.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2021 at 07:37. Reason: Typos
Anikesh11 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th December 2021, 17:54   #173
Senior - BHPian

I'm back in India for vacation after 3 years in the US. While I'm seeing many new cars from many brands including Skoda, VW, Renault, and Nissan, I'm surprised to see MSIL have no new models > Brezza (barring the Ertiga). The Brezza, Ciaz, Baleno, S-Cross are the effectively the same cars in 2017, 2018-19, and 2021-22. Adding insult to injury is the fact that S-Cross doesn't have the performance 1.6 D and Baleno Boosterjet is discontinued.

And Maruti doesn't have any diesel powered car models on sale today. The company seems to be content making Celerio, WagonRs, S-Pressos, Swifts. While they are good economy cars, the margins on them are razor thin.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 19:18   #174
BHPian

Lets hope the upcoming launches of MS is worth all the hype and expectations.

When the Nexa showrooms were launched, they looked kind of upmarket with models that were reasonably up to date in the the then market. Now when I see a Nexa showroom it just looks gloomy with old models and I see no reason to walk in.

2022 will be a year where MS's future will be decided and it will be decided by MS's launches. If they short change their customers in the above 9-10 lakh segment they will cease to exist in that price range soon enough.

Is this the natural order of companies? Fight and get to the top and then sleep and lose everything?

Additionally, the EV paradigm shift must not be under estimated. Tata was the first one to really recognize the potential and is reaping some benefits. Tata will be in a much superior place to take forward in 2025, when MS decides to get the EV into the market.

If in 2025, MS have lost more market to the competition, how successful will the EV launch be? The competition has EV's in the market now, however unaffordable they maybe.

The diesel engine option is gone for MS, they are the only manufacturer with a 100% NA engines in their line up. No turbo option at all. I wonder about the logic here as the urban market is demanding all these as standard.

I won't even mention the safety aspect of MS cars in general.

Last edited by Mafia : 28th December 2021 at 19:22.
Mafia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 19:38   #175
BHPian

I have a slightly different opinion on this topic.

Almost everybody is looking at Maruti from the perspective of we BHPians, people who are into driving, safety conscious and upwardly mobile group of people who are always looking at innovation and improvements in all aspects of an automobile. While we are correct in our way of thinking, lets think of it from Maruti's (or rather, Suzuki's) perspective.

India is only now emerging into the middle income economy grouping, which means a lot of people are being pulled out of poverty and into an income level where they might be able to afford their first cars.
While people like us would move onto our second or even third cars, Maruti-Suzuki is targeting this first time buyer, who doesnt give safety or performance that big a priority as compared to upfront cost and mileage. Both these requirements, MS excels at.

On top of that, with the paradigm shift that is EV, and the relatively early stage in India, MS prefers to play the wait and watch game to introduce products once the infrastructure is in place, and the consumer environment is in favour of EVs.
Till then it will happily stay in a razor thin margin but massive volume side of the market, where its volume game gets it a profit not just at sales but also after sales.

Once the EV market starts showing signs of maturity, I predict Suzuki will jump in hard into the market with a slew of low cost (relatively) products imported directly and manufactured locally from the western and eastern markets.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 21:08   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'm back in India for vacation after 3 years in the US.
Great to have you back but seems like you missed out on some Indian Automotive news there. While all you said about Maruti's current situation is true, here's the list of new Maruti products coming in 2022-

1. Ertiga and XL6 facelift- Minor design changes and inclusion of new features such as connected car tech and bigger 16 inch wheels (on the XL6) etc and might get a 6-speed AT too. Coming by Feb 2022.

2. Baleno major facelift- Spotted today on an ad shoot. The car will get a sharper exterior design, all new interiors, different steering wheel, larger touchscreen and additional features. Coming in Jan 2022.

3. Brezza major facelift- A completely new design, new interiors, sunroof, 360° camera, lane watch, connected car tech, larger 9 inch touchscreen, paddle shifters, 6 speed AT and new steering wheel have been spotted in a spyshot. Coming by May 2022.

4. Maruti YTB- Based on the Baleno, this new sub-4m Compact SUV will have Harrier-ish design language (I've seen the design, not a guess!) and will slot itself right below the Brezza as a Magnite/Punch rival. Coming by March 2022.

5. 5 door Jimny- Will arrive by the second half of 2022 as per my friend at Maruti.

6. Creta rival- Co-developed with Toyota, aims for 5 star NCAP as per a news report. Arrival by 2023 with hybrid tech.

7. Safari/XUV7OO rival- No details on this one except the one that this SUV will likely be more Toyota than Suzuki as I don't see a possible donor car or engine in the entire Suzuki portfolio. Will arrive by 2024.

8. New Alto- Platform change after 20 years! Will have a tall boy design.

Along with these, CNG and hybrid versions of the Swift, Dzire, Brezza, Baleno, Ciaz etc and 7 seater XL6 will also be launched soon.

So yes, Maruti (Suzuki too) was just on a break and will definitely regain the lost market and reputation soon with promising products.

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 28th December 2021 at 21:14.
theAutomaniac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 08:22   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
I have a slightly different opinion on this topic.

Almost everybody is looking at Maruti from the perspective of we BHPians, people who are into driving, safety conscious and upwardly mobile group of people who are always looking at innovation and improvements in all aspects of an automobile. While we are correct in our way of thinking, lets think of it from Maruti's (or rather, Suzuki's) perspective.
And today, my viewpoint is validated by the numbers. With 8 out of top 10 selling models today being a MS product, and all of them having atleast 1 model under 7 lakhs, their target is the first time buyer or even a 2nd car buyer who is looking for a low cost frugal city runabout. This is even more pronounced with the onset of starting of offices, and public transport not being in sync with the rise in commuter traffic.

All manufacturers are targeting this buyer section with CNG version launches slated in the early future. Hell, most buyers in this category dont even care for all the bells and whistles that we tend to stress upon right from safety (multiple Airbags, ESP etc) to high value ICE options such as wireless carplay/android auto and the highly controversial sunroof. This is evidenced by strong sales of the brezza and baleno, inspite of public domain knowledge of new facelifted models launches in the offing.

So much as we would like it to upgrade its current lineup, Maruti Suzuki is just laughing, all the way to the banks...

Source:
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...275041075.html
Old 5th January 2022, 12:31   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Maruti Suzuki is just laughing, all the way to the banks.
I agree with everything that you shared, except for the quoted portion.

Yes, Maruti is still making profits, but over the years their margins have come down significantly. Just compare the 'Net Profit divided by Total Sales' for last few years you'll get the idea. For example :

2016-17
Total Sales (incl. Export) : 1,568,603
PAT (million Rs) : 73,377
Profit/ vehicle (Rs) : 46,779

2020-21
Total Sales (incl. Export) : 1,457,861
PAT (million Rs) : 42,297
Profit/ vehicle (Rs) : 29,013

This is almost 30% drop. I am sure the top honchos at Maruti are watching this closely and trying hard to reverse the trend. But it's going to be an uphill task given the lack of technology & features, which 'inspire' customers to pay extra.

Data Source : Maruti Press Releases 2016-17 & 2020-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
While they are good economy cars, the margins on them are razor thin.
Exactly. And the data supports this.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 5th January 2022 at 12:34.
AutoNoob is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 21:44   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I had shortlisted Brezza while shopping but the moment I sat inside the car, my mood just turned gloomy. Felt like when I used to go to school in a Omni van. Interiors were dreadful. Sorry no offense to either owners but I won't pay 12 -13 lakhs INR to have same interior bits from Alto in my premium Maruti.
Absolutely spot on. Same experience. The moment I sat in Brezza, the interiors felt a decade old than the ones on my Linea Tjet. Infact I never thought of interiors till the moment I sat inside.

I told the SA that even my Tjet now at 7 years has better interiors and I can't bring myself to spent so many lakhs on this. Decision made. Tjet stays.

I guess "Suzuki" needs to pray to lord "Maruti" and seek blessings to shake away complacency and make them competent once again.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 22:00   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I had shortlisted Brezza while shopping but the moment I sat inside the car, my mood just turned gloomy. Felt like when I used to go to school in a Omni van. Interiors were dreadful.
Agree. I find Ritz interior better than that of Brezza.

Why can't Maruti integrate the screen nicely instead of making it looking like an after-thought?

Name:  marutisuzukivitarabrezzadashboard19.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  59.3 KB Name:  rangeroverevoque2021interiordashboardinfotainment1.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  54.6 KB

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th January 2022 at 22:21.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks