Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 13:56   #421
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

I must say I am kind of amused by Skoda's packaging/pricing strategy w.r.t. the Slavia.

When the car was unveiled, I was inclined to think it's squarely aimed at the C segment leader i.e. the Honda City, with the comparable specs and all.

For quite sometime, with the Rapid, it looked like Skoda chose to carry on with a knife in a gun fight. Then fast forward to when the Slavia was teased and I thought finally Skoda have got themselves a gun and a big one at that, with the decisively better engine (the 1.5TSI) and classier interiors etc.

But looking at the 'rumored' price difference between the top end variants of the two cars - the City ZX and the Slavia Style 1.5, Skoda is definitely not aiming to take the fight to Honda's door steps.

It's quite apparent that the Slavia for Skoda is not one car launch but two. It's the Slavia 1.0 TSI which, I wouldn't go as far as to say staring, rather glancing at the Honda City. This duel, the value duel, I am quite certain Skoda is doomed to loose from the beginning. I don't think I need to justify my view right here as a lot has been said on this already.

Then the next question is who the Slavia 1.5 TSI is aimed at then? My best guess is, it is the people who aspired to own an Octavia 5 years ago; but by the time they got here, the Octavia has moved up the value ladder with prices pushing 35 big ones. Hence the comparison with the first gen Octavia I suppose.

So they have built an affordable Octavia and an improved Rapid at the same time. What remains to be seen is if this strategy will pay off. And by pay off, I mean what Skoda would consider a success for the Slavia. Judging by how they're happy with 1000 Kodiaq sales for 2022, your guess is as good as mine

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 14th February 2022 at 14:05.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:12   #422
BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer shares tentative price list for the Slavia sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The tentative prices for the Skoda Slavia are out. As per this price list, the Slavia range could start from Rs. 10.80 lakh (ex-showroom).

Attachment 2271369

The Slavia will be offered in three trims - Active, Ambition and Style. The prices for the 1.0L TSI MT could range from Rs. 10.80 lakh to Rs. 14.50 lakh, while the Ambition AT and Style AT variants could cost Rs. 14.00 lakh and Rs. 15.75 lakh respectively.

The Slavia 1.5L Style MT might be priced at Rs. 16.70 lakh, while the automatic variant might retail for Rs. 17.70 lakh.

The Slavia will be offered with the same set of engines as the Kushaq. These include a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine that makes 113 BHP / 178 Nm and a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol motor producing 148 BHP / 250 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic and a 7-speed DSG.

The Slavia 1.0L TSI will be launched on February 28, 2022. Official prices for the 1.5L TSI version will be announced on March 3, 2022.

Thanks to Sundar for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
Skoda has really lost the plot if these are going to be the prices. I have a ~9 year old GT TSI and I'm looking for a replacement. Almost 22L for a TSI loaded top end model is actually nonsense. Looks like VW India 2.0 plans are going to go downhill.
thiagust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:14   #423
BHPian

I hope with the Slavia launch, Skoda doesn't take it down the road of Kodiaq launch by increasing prices a few days within the launch. Granted it's the sellers market but would love to see Skoda price their product competitively and not give it a hike few days after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Skoda has really lost the plot if these are going to be the prices. I have a ~9 year old GT TSI and I'm looking for a replacement. Almost 22L for a TSI loaded top end model is actually nonsense. Looks like VW India 2.0 plans are going to go downhill.
Skoda might price the 1.0 aggressively to see if it can make a dent in City's numbers and give them good sales while wanting the 1.5 to be a much more fun, feature loaded package which the enthusiasts will go for who won't mind spending that few extra lakhs for the better driving experience it would give them over the likes of City.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th February 2022 at 01:47. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 14th February 2022, 14:24   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
Then the next question is who the Slavia 1.5 TSI is aimed at then? My best guess is, it is the people who aspired to own an Octavia 5 years ago; but by the time they got here, the Octavia has moved up the value ladder with prices pushing 35 big ones.
Truer words have never been spoken

The 1.5 TSI variant of the CSUV and the sedan feels so much of a compromise when compared to what was on offer just a few years back. I really feel Skoda should offer the current Octavia with the 1.5 TSI engine - would be a great deal for anyone who can stretch the budget a bit for some better quality. Not sure Skoda would though. I doubt there is enough customer interest to justify the investment.
ACe_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:33   #425
BHPian

I agree with @GTO that the leaked prices are approx 30k - 50k more than actual price.
In the leaked price list, 1.0 TSI Style AT is 77k more expensive than Honda City ZX CVT which doesn't seem to be right. Ideally, it should be priced same as we saw in case of Kushaq (vs Creta and Seltos).

I'm still fine if 1.5 TSI MT is priced approx. 1.5L above Honda City ZX CVT. I'm getting 30bhp and 100nm torque for that.

I think Skoda did a "Simply Clever" thing by leaking tentative price list. Leak wrong price list, let people get mad over it, let the bloated price list settle in their mind and then launch with 20k - 50k lesser price (based on variant). If they do that, then it may actually work.

But for me, Slavia still is justified. Compared to the competition, I get a sedan which is a lot safer and has better ground clearance, better build quality (not comparing with previous Skoda cars), more boot space, 60:40 rear seat split, better handling, similar interior quality and feature list (add or remove 2-3 features).

Quote:
Then the next question is who the Slavia 1.5 TSI is aimed at then?
My best guess is, it is the people who aspired to own an Octavia 5 years ago; but by the time they got here, the Octavia has moved up the value ladder with prices pushing 35 big ones. Hence the comparison with the first gen Octavia I suppose.
People like me
Let me explain. The major difference between Slavia (or old Rapid) and Octavia is the power figures. And that power figure comes with better interiors and features which make it more expensive.
Now, I want a more powerful sedan which can also handle that power well. But I'm happy with slightly lesser features and interior. This is where Slavia 1.5 TSI works well.
Just like you said - poor man's Octavia.

I could get Octavia as well. But that 135mm ground clearance and no sunroof just crossed two very important points in my list. Also, Octavia is slightly larger for city use. Gets really tough to fit in those parking slots.

In that price range, I'll still prefer to get Jeep Compass.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th February 2022 at 01:43. Reason: Minor clean up edits.
rAijin_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:50   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Curious thing I noticed from the Active variant and the Ambition variant walkaround videos posted above:

The Active variant (picture to the right) has a "Traction Control Off" switch and a TPMS re-set switch just to the right of the gearshift knob, while the Ambition Variant does not have these. I would expect the higher variant to have features that the lower variants lack. Perhaps these are located elsewhere in the central console on Ambition?
Attached Images

84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 17:11   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Curious thing I noticed from the Active variant and the Ambition variant walkaround videos posted above:

The Active variant (picture to the right) has a "Traction Control Off" switch and a TPMS re-set switch just to the right of the gearshift knob, while the Ambition Variant does not have these. I would expect the higher variant to have features that the lower variants lack. Perhaps these are located elsewhere in the central console on Ambition?
Not sure about the Slavia, but in the Kushaq, variants with the bigger touchscreen unit have an ESC-off switch in the infotainment system.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 590
Size:  8.3 KB

Quote:
  • TPMS
  • ESC
  • Traction Control
  • 3 headrests at rear
  • Hill Start
The Honda gets ESC as standard too, as well as head restraints (and three-point belts) for all passengers, but they're not adjustable. It also gets a tyre-pressure monitor.

Last edited by ron178 : 14th February 2022 at 17:13.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 17:19   #428
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Hi 84.monsoon - They are available in the 10 inch Infotainment system in those higher variants. Please refer to the below link and select owner's manual of Slavia. Refer TPMS section and other relevant sections for details.

https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

I accidentally found that owner's manual is already available for Slavia while checking for my Kushaq.

Off Topic - If you choose 'Others' as region, there is Arabic version too, may be future exports
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 18:08   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The tentative prices for the Skoda Slavia are out. As per this price list, the Slavia range could start from Rs. 10.80 lakh (ex-showroom).

Attachment 2271369

The Slavia will be offered in three trims - Active, Ambition and Style. The prices for the 1.0L TSI MT could range from Rs. 10.80 lakh to Rs. 14.50 lakh, while the Ambition AT and Style AT variants could cost Rs. 14.00 lakh and Rs. 15.75 lakh respectively.

The Slavia 1.5L Style MT might be priced at Rs. 16.70 lakh, while the automatic variant might retail for Rs. 17.70 lakh.

The Slavia will be offered with the same set of engines as the Kushaq. These include a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine that makes 113 BHP / 178 Nm and a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol motor producing 148 BHP / 250 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic and a 7-speed DSG.

The Slavia 1.0L TSI will be launched on February 28, 2022. Official prices for the 1.5L TSI version will be announced on March 3, 2022.

Thanks to Sundar for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
This is pretty much in line with the Taigun/Kushaq. I recently inquired about a Taigun 1.5AT in Mumbai, and the on-road was around 21.4 L, just like this. The 1.5/AT combo was a hoot to drive, but the interior quality and the general size of the Taigun didn't feel to be worth the asking price of 21L+. Especially, when my hand landed on the door cards, I was immediately reminded of my current 2018 Rapid - and that's a car that cost almost half of the Taigun's asking price. The design and materials felt pretty much the same, and that wasn't a good feeling. The price issue stings more because of the way the trims are setup - they force you to buy the topmost trim if you want the 1.5/AT combo, which means there's no option to drop a few features to save money and retain that amazing powertrain.

All in all, I think that all the new 1.5TSI vehicles of VAG are priced way too high, and that the pulse of this thread will be pretty much the public's reaction in general.
moarpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 20:16   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But looking at the 'rumored' price difference between the top end variants of the two cars - the City ZX and the Slavia Style 1.5, Skoda is definitely not aiming to take the fight to Honda's door steps.

It's quite apparent that the Slavia for Skoda is not one car launch but two. It's the Slavia 1.0 TSI which, I wouldn't go as far as to say staring, rather glancing at the Honda City. This duel, the value duel, I am quite certain Skoda is doomed to loose from the beginning. I don't think I need to justify my view right here as a lot has been said on this already.
Curious sir, why do you think 1.0 TSI is no match for City - On papers, reviews, drag test and even my drives of Rapid, it is a better performer than City 1.5

And 1.5 TSI is more powerful than any Honda launched in India till now - except Accord V6.

And seriously don’t understand this negativity even before the test drive or official price launch. At least Skoda is getting new models and investing in India than Honda who have no roadmap and all we are debating is whether they will stay or exit.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th February 2022 at 01:33. Reason: Minor typo
sunikkat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 20:24   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moarpower View Post
This is pretty much in line with the Taigun/Kushaq. I recently inqui
All in all, I think that all the new 1.5TSI vehicles of VAG are priced way too high, and that the pulse of this thread will be pretty much the public's reaction in general.
I can live with the fit and finish of the Taigun, but I just can't justify 20l+ for a car with that awful reverse camera, no panoramic roof and no powered driver's seat ALONG with that level of fit and finish.
Old 14th February 2022, 20:58   #432
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why everyone is put off by the price tag of the 1.5 TSI variants- it's the Polo GT equivalent considering the 1.0 TSI is the actual competitor of the Honda City.

TBH, it's high time we accept this ridiculous price rise. Inflation and taxes are pushing all prices to the sky with the Finance ministry ignorant of the same.

Can't wait for the actual review of the car. I'm pretty sure a lot of issues will get resolved over time.
Old 14th February 2022, 21:06   #433
BHPian

Quote:

Then the next question is who the Slavia 1.5 TSI is aimed at then? My best guess is, it is the people who aspired to own an Octavia 5 years ago; but by the time they got here, the Octavia has moved up the value ladder with prices pushing 35 big ones. Hence the comparison with the first gen Octavia I suppose.
I guess I have decoded their strategy.

1.0 TSI: Aimed at people who wanted to buy Octavia but can't due to steep price.

1.5 TSI: Aimed at people who wanted to buy... wait for it.... Octavia VRS 245 but couldn't due to, yes of course, steep price and 'Sold out'

I hope I'm proven wrong. I really like the Slavia but only time and their pricing will tell if it's worth a purchase.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 22:05   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Curious sir, why do you think 1 TSI is no match for City - On papers, reviews, drag test and even my drives of Rapid, it is a better performer than City 1.5
I don't think he is just talking about the engine. If you look at the feature level comparison above, the V and VX variants of City are much better specced than the equivalent Slavia variants (although these are still speculative feature lists).

Also, wrt the engine, I don't think you can clearly say that one is better than the other, the outputs are quite different and hence it is a subjective matter. I own the City and have extensively driven the 1L turbo in Kushaq and the more I drive it the more I feel that I made the right call.

You can definitely expect Slavia to have better driving dynamics but the point is how many customers would be willing to pay more for that and miss out on some key features?

And yes, no matter what, we should definitely appreciate Skoda for giving a damn about this market unlike many other manufacturers.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2022 at 06:40. Reason: Word replaced
AutoConsultant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 22:23   #435

I will buy my first car this year. After looking at the rumoured price of the 1.5 TSI, Honda City ZX MT is again added to the list. I personally feel that the interior of the top variant Honda City is far better than that of Slavia (especially the seat cover). The degradation due to localisation will be more important to me than the fun factor of the 1.5 TSI, if the rumoured prices are true. The 1.5 vtec is a better choice than the 1.0 TSI considering the torque available at lower rpm.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th February 2022 at 01:32. Reason: Minor typo & language edit.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks