Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2022, 20:37   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer shares tentative price list for the Slavia sedan

TBH, the sedan segment is pretty much dead in the Indian market since the on-slaught of mid-sized pseudo SUVs. A Rapid-Vento used to average 800-1000 units at best, if Kushaq is managing 2000-2500 units a month, Skoda India definitely doesn't expect the Slavia to do the same 2000-2500 units, so what they are doing is essentially pushing it half-a-segment above the Verna/City.

I had expected prices in this range when the car was in testing phase!

For a person who had an Octavia 3rd gen in mind but couldn't go for it for whatever reasons earlier, this is the car for them. Octavia 3rd gen was available between Rs. 13.95 - 18.25 lakhs (petrol range, didn't include diesel since Slavia doesn't get one) when launched in 2013, the Slavia is basically a slightly-cheaper 3rd gen Octavia replacement, rather than a Rapid replacement.

And like already proven by the Skoda Rapid 1L TSI MT, the Honda City's 1.5L i-Vtec is no longer the best-in-class in terms of performance, now if the Rapid 1L TSI was ahead of the 1.5L i-Vtec just think about the 1.5L TSI MT Slavia.

Yes at the prices mentioned, it will not sell at the Honda City level (3000-3500 units a month) but a sedan-lover who loves fast cars and isn't willing to plonk 32-35 Lakh on an Octavia 4th gen, the Slavia will be his go-to-choice.

My post back in Oct' 2021:
Quote:
Slavia will take the place left by the previous Gen 2013 Octavia at a similar price to it.

And with the Slavia having just about the same dash as the current Gen Octavia as seen in the spy shots, it is a good chance for Skoda to get back lost Octavia customers who aren’t willing to spend 36Lakhs on one. Yes the engine will be different but it can be a compelling “Cheaper-Octavia.”

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2022 at 07:58. Reason: As requested
CEF_Beasts is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 20:38   #362
BHPian

I wonder where Skoda wants to take this product with this over-optimistic pricing. If their new STRATEGY involves dishing out underwhelming and unreliable products at enthusiastic prices, they really should have named it 0.2 instead of 2.0. While it may sell a few units initially, it is bound to be a long term dud at these prices.
Herschey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 20:55   #363
BHPian

I feel these prices are too high for what Slavia is expected to offer. I definitely expected a premium of about a lac over the city(which is not cheap by any means) for its better engine and the Škoda badge. But this, pricing 4 lacs over the top end city model is just trying to poke the CSUV customers who don’t pay heed to the sedans.

In my view it should have been priced at 17 lacs max on road to steal buyers from the current competition, but instead they priced it too high to sell in high numbers.

A truly good opportunity missed by Škoda India management.

Keep revving
W16rocks
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 20:58   #364
BHPian

Ever since our good Team-BHP folks came out with a fairly enticing 'Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview' take, I was thinking of paying 11K booking for the 1.5TSI (spoke to the showroom and almost transferred it but somehow held back at the last moment). Now, this supposed pricing looks quite unexciting (more so given Bangalore OTR will be higher than that of Tamilnadu's quoted above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
I think I might pick up a pre-worshipped A4 or 3 Series at this point.
And a +1 to this. I have been looking around for a good used KA registered 320d/530d since a few months, with limited success. (But why another car? My 2011 Nano - which I quite like - is my main neighborhood shopping car while my very caringly maintained 2005 Indica diesel wants to take it a bit easy and no longer feels all that enthused to join me on outstation trips).

Weird as it may sound, I am almost about to pull back on Slavia 1.5TSI plans altogether, and seriously considering buying the new Baleno/Glanza or a Ciaz/City for outstation drives [mostly myself or with a co-passenger]. This will buy me a relaxed time to keep my lookout in the used car world for a 320d/530d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Slavia is basically a slightly-cheaper 3rd Octavia replacement, rather than a Rapid replacement.
We all wish Cassandra's predictions don't come true, but then what you say makes a lot of sense, given your enviable record!

This Octavia-replacement pricing would be a bit easier to digest, if Slavia's build quality is on par with (CKD?)Octavia. But our forum members are already expressing serious doubts on that front, given MQB-A0-IN platform niggles in Kushaq. All in all, a bit muddled situation and let's hope there's a silver lining to all this.

P.S: I must add, it is inapt to prejudge without going through the full experience. There's still hope until 3/March pricing announcement and may be the the first drive reports will win over the skeptics.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th February 2022 at 20:00. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
hagarthenormal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:32   #365
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

I am constantly surprised at the rather undeserved (IMHO) support that Skoda-VW are getting. I cannot believe there isn't a market for premium products in the country! Just take a look at Creta twins. Octavia did very very well for the while it was sold. Even Vento-Rapid combined volumes were higher than the City at its peak - albeit for a short while. Polo has been selling consistently despite being more than a decade old! Which is why I just cannot agree with the premise that SVW *had to* climb down on quality.

None of the reasons here were responsible for their failure. The issues with Skoda-VW were entirely different -

1. Service Costs: Anyone who says Hyundai for example is cheaper to maintain (regularly) vs Skoda-VW, has not really compared the Hyundai prices in recent years - my i10 (MY 2009) steering assembly cost more than my Vento's! What's more SVWs have become much easier to maintain, upgrade and even play around with at FNGs.

2. Just plain lack of responsibility: VW kept on ignoring known issues which they happily solved in other markets. horror stories of parts failing prematurely - company knowing about it and doing buggerall was a theme. Injectors, DSG, Waterpump are all KNOWN issues. Worse VW has solutions for them - 1.6/1.5 TDis use cheaper Conti injectors in spite of VW having much more reliable versions on Jetta's 2.0 TDi. DSGs carry several year long warranties in most reputable markets. Dieselgate fix treatment in India was pathetic.

3. Terrible terrible service: My Vento repeatedly came back with parts broken from routine services...aircon vents, latch for the armrest, window switches!) and if I did not notice, the SAs won't bother!) ASC's were frequently not able to diagnose problems and churning out huge unnecessary bills.

Frankly, I have never heard a VW owner complain about the product bundle! NEVER, until recently when they wiped out their diesels. What an asininely move! Efficient, powerful, brilliant and most importantly known devils, they were bread and butter. Skoda up and shut 'em! It may have made some sense if the Octavia, Superb and the works were launched with the 1.5 combined with their hybrids, to bridge the efficiency gap but even that would've given us God knows what gremlins!

Skoda's not just trying to fix what's not broken. They're breaking what's fixed! Much like Chevy, Ford before them.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2022 at 08:15. Reason: Typos
Annibaddh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:38   #366
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Honda City top end petrol AT 18.5 lakhs OTR? Compared to that 1 TSI Style AT is 19.1 - it is over priced, but not much.

Lets not compare 1.5 TSI with City, the performance will be much superior to City.

Also the premium of 1.5 TSI over 1 TSI seems to be 2 lakhs, which is not that bad.

Honestly this was the price expected, undercut Kushaq by 50k to 1L.

Last edited by sunikkat : 11th February 2022 at 21:41.
sunikkat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:42   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Slavia is basically a slightly-cheaper 3rd Octavia replacement, rather than a Rapid replacement.
This is spot on.

People who were waiting for the current generation Octavia to come with 1.5L TSI option at a lesser price point, got the cheaper Slavia instead (with a sunroof, ventilated seats and USB ports for the rear passengers as well!).
stringbh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:49   #368
BHPian

May be a marketing gimmick similar to XUV700 Create impression that the product is going to be super expensive, but actually price it marginally cheaper than competition. Then consumers will feel they got a lottery. But being Skoda, I can be completely wrong.
sreerknair is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 22:21   #369
BHPian

Well Honda and Suzuki might have new plans! Waiting for a plot twist to happen where prices of City and Ciaz might even go higher than current prices by mid of this year. I'm guessing a rise by approximately 30 to 50 k in the ex showroom prices.
The sedan market is already grown thinner. Gone are days when 'dicky waali gaadi' used to be a fad. Given the pricing, consumers would prefer a CSUV from the same price bracket. And given the inflation, for a buyer, the price bracket might stay the same, but will get a smaller car for the same bracket.
Old 11th February 2022, 22:44   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
This in itself summarises what Skoda has tried to do !

Drivers car to a family sedan. It requires compromises !
The main problem with VW and Skoda cars is that driving them does not engage you much. The steering lacks feedback, is over-assisted, and doesn't communicate with you much. On the other hand, the people who drove a Ford/ Fiat (esp Abarth and 1.6S) know how good those cars were when compared to VW cars. The difference is that you'll see the grip building up when cornering and can predict what the car can handle and know what the front end and rear end is doing, that's truly absent in VW cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Stickshiftgang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 23:36   #371
BHPian

Well, if Zac Hollis can say on camera that other brands have some variants which are cheaper but with high waiting periods just to make pricing look attractive and exciting, why can’t he and his team just follow the same for their brand cars. Skoda disappointed majority of buyers with their Kushaq pricing, now hinting the same with Slavia pricing is like hammering nails in their own coffin.

Why can’t Zac Hollis and his team just follow the trend of their competitors which he was talking about and give attractive pricing to Active variants, charge a bit premium in Ambition variants and gain maximum in Style variants.

Anything above 10.45lacs ex-showroom for Slavia Active 1.0L MT will deter buyers to stay away from the product ( as per my expectations 9.99lacs ex-showroom for 1.0LMT is the sweet spot), I feel the buying population now a days do a lot of research and comparison, further stealing a pie from SUV-segment buyers is just impossible with a raised GC sedan.
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 23:47   #372
BHPian

Skoda: Better dead than never! What kind of a pricing is this for a car whose name itself is hard to digest? I hope this pricing gives some confidence to Honda to stay longer and bring some fresh cars to India.
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 01:37   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickshiftgang View Post
The main problem with VW and Skoda cars is that driving them does not engage you much. The steering lacks feedback, is over-assisted, and doesn't communicate with you much. On the other hand, the people who drove a Ford/ Fiat (esp Abarth and 1.6S) know how good those cars were when compared to VW cars. The difference is that you'll see the grip building up when cornering and can predict what the car can handle and know what the front end and rear end is doing, that's truly absent in VW cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong
I wouldn't say so. They are not as nice as 1st Gen Figo Or the Fiats. But the steering isn't dead like Honda or Hyundai or Maruti. And the Steering weighs up and Chassis does talk to you making the handling predictable. And ergonomically they are very well laid out. I'm talking about previous gen VW/Skoda. Not sure about Kushaq / Taigun.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 12th February 2022 at 01:38. Reason: Added the last sentence
theabstractmind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 06:49   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

If that pricing is real, if i am looking for a sedan, I have many reasons to spend 15L on a fairly new, on-warranty, used Skoda Octavia 2.0 diesel rather than spending 20L on a car that's neither here nor there(segment wise).
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 09:02   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Well, if Zac Hollis can say on camera that other brands have some variants which are cheaper but with high waiting periods just to make pricing look attractive and exciting, why can’t he and his team just follow the same for their brand cars.
Quoting my own post here to share the interview link.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks