Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2022, 23:57   #16
BHPian

re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

35000+ models in a month is great feat Tata, regardless of number 2 or 3 position the 30k per month mark looks sustainable for another year at least. Tata is harvesting the benefits of quality and freshness introduced by Pratap Bose through his designs. Constant refreshing and facelifts of models may hold up the momentum for another 2 years. Save for the diminishing Sedan segment, Tata has penetrated almost all key segments and covered price band from 5 lakh to 30 lakh, now they need to probably look at multiple products in same segments.
On a different note, would now Tata really think of shelving off its PV arm, especially now that it is doing so well?
Old 2nd January 2022, 07:22   #17
BHPian

re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

This seems a commendable achievement for a company that was once written off by one and all. From once being "More Car Per Car" to "More Problems Per Car" to now "More Safety Per Car".
But it's like the race has just begun. They really need to augment the service network, maybe get Ford service centre onboard (just thinking loudly). As well has keep the common masses interested by giving the tid bits of their future launches. Right now they are now just moving but racing in right direction and to keep up this momentum it would require even more effort and planning.
Still no one can take this away from them, so kudos to Team Tata Motors. Making Indians Proud. ��
Mannu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 09:34   #18
BHPian

Tata overtakes Hyundai in PV sales.

Now, this is historic. 2021 is continuing to produce surprises in the fag end.

Tata Motors has managed to dispatch 35300 units compared to 32312 units by Hyundai.

What's more interesting is that as Indian grown brands have increased their YOY dispatch, the segment leaders as Maruti & Hyundai are on a downward trend.

Source 1

Source 2

ps: Thought this warranted a new thread than appending it to the semiconductor chip shortage thread. Mods: Please correct, if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Vasuki : 2nd January 2022 at 09:39.
Vasuki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 19:53   #19
Vmv
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

December sales dispatch of Top 3 Manufacturers
Source : Autopunditz.com
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India-smartselect_20220102195134_opera.jpg  

Vmv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 20:35   #20
BHPian

As a owner of Nexon this is great news. Though I honestly believe this is owing to chip shortage and Tata has played its cards well. They have good cars under 20L to attract customers from other brand.

The fact that people are willing to try Tata is a great achievement. I hope they can maintain the momentum esp in the EV space it will be a good balance of brands for the Indian buyers
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow, proud that our companies can compete and do well in the cut-throat market. This is something brand like Toyota/Honda with big budgets have not achieved despite being in India for 2 decades. Shows the hard work, dedication, and focus by Tata. In fact, Tata can teach Mahindra a thing or two on how to make appealing cars in the lower end of the market.

While I don't own a Tata car, I feel there's some missed opportunities:
1. Lack of good ATs in Altroz/Nexon
2. A crossover/SUV between the Nexon and Harrier.

The second one might be nitpicking, but the automatics are overdue.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:45   #22
BHPian

Hope their ASS is geared up to handle such volumes.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:21   #23
BHPian

As a owner of 2020 Nexon, i am happy to see Tata get a moment of glory in 2nd spot, though is owed to chip shortage faced by Hyundai.

Nevertheless, this should motivate Tata to ensure they make good on their 'Forever New' motto with timely refresh or launches, improving features/options available at launch (ex: proper automatics), quality at factory, continued emphasis on safety, After sales improvements, strong EV push stay on pole position there for years to come.

As far as A.S.S., as observed through my own vehicle service experiences, I found it so far to be very good.

A week before christmas, 'check engine' lamp in my Nexon turned on and stayed on. Next day I took it to my regular service center of Prerana service at Kudlu gate. Coincidentally it is also the time for my 6 month service check up. They diagnosed it thoroughly and replaced the faulty oxygen censor on warranty. Overall it took 4 days, including a sunday in between, to get my car ready for the drive. I was kept constantly updated through out on what is happening. I must thank Praveen, who attended and fixed the issues and serviced it, and the service advisor Lokesh (sometimes Sangamesh). Through these good experiences I now have enough confidence on the technicians ( for my car its Praveen) attending there.

The day i went to receive car at around 6:30pm, i saw a mad rush out there. Taranath, who runs this service center, after noticing me there came to me with a smile, though he is super busy, and assured that my car is all good. He told me that day they had received over 50 cars, much more than the usual volume, due to holiday rush. They couldn't convince many customers for a later dates due to holiday trip plans. As a result he said all of them are working overtime and want to ensure every customers car is properly attended to. He said they want to ensure cars never trouble the customers after they leave service center and especially no breakdowns. Thats exactly the attitude we need in TASS and I hope it continue improve at all service centers giving assurance to all customers.

For me, I am glad that my car is in safe hands with Taranath and Praveen at Prerana service center. These guys are ensuring my Tata Nexon ownership experience stays happy.

Wishing you the best Tata Motors.
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 08:04   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Big congrats to Tata Motors! What a phenomenal way to end the year. In the auto industry, it's all down to the "product" and Tata has churned out one standout car after another.

I think the real big news here is Tata having 35,000 dispatches which is a HUGE deal whatever way you look at it, and not becoming no.2 because Hyundai's regular levels are in the 45000 - 50000 range which it will get back to (and snatch back the no.2 position). Clearly, Hyundai is facing chip / part supply & production issues since September which is when their volume dip started.
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 08:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Nexon and Altroz facelifts with proper ATs, Harrier/Safari petrols, Punch diesel and AT should push Tata to Hyundai's regular sales numbers (and not just these crippled due to chip shortage numbers) in my opinion. Excellent work done by Tata. Also glad to see MM is all set to play a top player too.
amol4184 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big congrats to Tata Motors! What a phenomenal way to end the year. In the auto industry, it's all down to the "product" and Tata has churned out one standout car after another.

I think the real big news here is Tata having 35,000 dispatches which is a HUGE deal whatever way you look at it, and not becoming no.2 because Hyundai's regular levels are in the 45000 - 50000 range which it will get back to (and snatch back the no.2 position). Clearly, Hyundai is facing chip / part supply & production issues since September which is when their volume dip started.
Why is Tata Motors largely unaffected by the chip shortage? I didn't think the extent of electronics in a top-selling Tata car is any less than the extent of electronics in a top-selling Hyundai (ECU, ABS, ETC, Airbag control, infotainment, HVAC, etc).

Only thing I can think of is that perhaps Hyundai procures identical chips for all its models (top end (including those not sold in India) to bottom end) and fuses features on or off in the chip at the factory for specific chips for specific models). In which case its chips are likely more featured and more complex to start with than those used in Tata Motors cars, and maybe hence more affected by the shortage?

Can someone elaborate?
vharihar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:29   #27
BHPian

Well done, Tata! Irrespective of chip shortage situation, this is one hell of a milestone.

Just two things though - improve overall fit and finish of your products (it kind of sucks at the moment), and better your after sales services.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 3rd January 2022 at 09:31.
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:48   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

It will be back to 3 soon but Tata still has potential to catch up if they do the right moves such as:

1. Altroz turbo needs an AT box ASAP
2. Punch with turbo!
3. The Nexon is begging for a proper AT box. Kia and Hyundai own this segment with the Venue and Sonet DCT and diesel AT.

With these 3 options they can seriously trouble Hyundai even more regularly in the rankings. The idea is to strike when the enemy is weak!
Don't forget the EV lineup of cars, they are now contributing 5% of the total sales and growing fast as much as they can produce. More than those 3 vehicles which you mentioned, I believe the new EV would skyrocket the sales and increase the "WOW/Bling" factor of the manufacturer.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:49   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Why is Tata Motors largely unaffected by the chip shortage? I didn't think the extent of electronics in a top-selling Tata car is any less than the extent of electronics in a top-selling Hyundai (ECU, ABS, ETC, Airbag control, infotainment, HVAC, etc).
While other manufacturers got really scared of Covid, Tata smartly placed the right bets and secured their supplies. Also remember that Hyundai has a Korean HQ which can dictate where chip supplies are diverted (i.e. bigger markets where more expensive cars are sold).
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:58   #30

Great Job Tata ! It took a year and a half more(blame Covid) than what I hoped for Tata Motors. Yes, I mean the Stocks $$.

Now adding to the cars mentioned earlier, it needs:

The Tata Sierra - Turbo Petrol with AT from launch, EV to follow.

Mid-Cycle refresh for the Harrier. AWD, PLEASE !

The car makers seem to be rebounding from the massive hit it took last year and automakers putting up a good show with new products.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2022 at 11:40. Reason: Poor language & grammar
BullBoy07 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks